With the year coming to a close and 2011 being right around the corner, I thought it time we create a thread where we could express our desires/wishes for occurrence with Blackberries (not playbook) in 2011. Here are mine:

1) OS 7: OS 6 was but a mere stop gap. It needs to be treated like Windows Vista and forgotten about. QNX is the future and the new OS that future Blackberries will run MUST be based on QNX.
    2) OS Updates: All future updates should be carrier independent and unilateral. I know many don't want to hear this, but RIM should follow Apple here. While they have one product, regardless of which carrier carries it, when there is an update, all compatible products receive the update. There should be no reason for example, that the Sprint Curve 8530 received an update at the end of October, and here in November Virgin Canada receives a higher update. The days of 'removing vendor.xml' files must come to an end.
    3) Boot Time: My Curve 8530 takes 5+ minutes (won't tell you actual time because it's too sad) to boot. While I hear that the Torch has a 1:30-2 min boot time, it's still too much. Every second counts when it comes to productivity and I can't afford for my phone to be down for any long period of time. If most manufacturers can get a PC to boot in 30 sec or less then RIM should aim for that target.
    4) Installation: Speaking of boot, too many apps require a reboot upon installation or removal. First and foremost, a Blackberry is a business/productivity tool (or so RIM has forgotten). Down time is money and it's just plain annoying.
    5) Blackberry Defender: Over and over I see many Blackberry users who switch to a new BB or had their phone bricked and didn't backup the info. Automatic and integrated backup via cloud storage is a key feature and selling point that RIM must bring about.
    6) Blackberry Maps: One of the core features of a Blackberry, that in the past was a crucial feature that came in handy in a pinch. Now Google Maps (and other services) have taken over to such an extent that I personally remove it when I do an OS reload. The Android platform which has become one of the chief competitors to Blackberry has integrated Google Maps with turn by turn directions. RIM needs to stop neglecting this feature and bring it at least on par if not surpass Google Maps (Blackberry Traffic is one way to do so).
    7) BBM: Hands down, BBM is the killer feature of a Blackberry. It's the one thing people who move to different platforms state they miss. RIM has done a decent job of keeping it up to date and planned social networking features are one way to keep it innovative. But, it faces challenges (albeit a bit weak) from Google Talk and more recently Kik. To keep it as the top mobile IM platform it needs to incorporate technology features that other IM platforms have, specifically voice and video. Doing so would add another useful business feature for RIM to tout and provide challenges to Skype, Apple (facetime) and Google.
    8) Carrier Exclusivity: This must come to an end! While I'm sure the financial incentive is large, it damages the Blackberry brand. The fact that it's flagship and ONLY completely touchscreen model is relegated to one carrier creates opportunities for competitors (Apple/Google) to gain converts to their platform. It also makes no sense to have your two top models be on carriers where you are second fiddle (AT&T/iPhone, Verizon/Droid).
    9) Wireless: WIFI N has been out for some time yet blackberries are still being released with just WIFI G. RIM wants consumers to pair their Blackberry with the Playbook, well introduce all new models with hotspot capabilities!
    10) Storage: MicroSD capabilities are a good feature for those who want extra storage, but as RIM should want less obstacles with their product (and people are lazy), blackberries need to have more included storage. People are looking for convergence products. To compete with the iPhone and Droid, integrated flash storage is a must!
    11) Gorilla Glass: RIM needs to institute changes along the entire line to differentiate and make it stand out from it's competitors. This is one of them. Plus, it finally eliminates the need for screen protectors.
    12) Super AMOLED: To be the best and compete with the best you have to have the best. And this is just another way to separate Blackberry from other brands.
    13) New Designs: Apple is known for it's amazing and new designs. Blackberries while having made forward changes in the last couple years, it seems the last couple models have been retreads of the same model again and again. New forward thinking designs to attract customers is needed.
    14) Hardware: Some common sense is needed with Blackberry hardware, in particular the ports. Why are the headphone jack and charge located on the side for some models? Put them where they logically belong on the top and bottom accordingly.
    15) Model Names: The draconian numeric model names need to go. No one is interested in remembering the Curve 8330, 8530, 9330 or the differences between them. All they know is that a Curve 3 is better then a Curve 2. In a world were people know the iPhone 4 and Droid 2, it's time for RIM to get with the program.
    16) App World: Where to begin with this bloatware. It needs to be less problematic and more visually pleasing. RIM needs to re-work it.
    17) Ideally RIM would have a product line as such:

Low range: Pearl/Style (8gb flash/3mp camera)
    Mid range: Bold/Curve (16gb flash/6mp camera)
    High range: Storm/Torch (32gb flash/9mp camera)
    12-08-10 03:09 PM
    Wow, quite a wish list. We'll see what happens, I guess. As for BBM, it looks like Kik is now out of the picture. Don't have any experience with Google Talk, although I hear more and more comments about it these days. And I'm with you on the BB Maps request. Bring on 2011.
    12-08-10 03:20 PM
    I merely want to see devices with a new killer "QNX" Os system. Touch Bold and Curve, Storm3 and Torch2 with adjustments to hardware and new OS.

BB needs to increase there efficiency UI & the OS, and hopefully QNX and TAT can do that.
    12-08-10 03:36 PM
    Please explain to me why more MP = Better Pictures. Make no sense to me. I could go into the whole gambit about it, but it's not true.
    12-08-10 04:28 PM
    Well, I'll be contentious on at least one of your statements. There are some observations that have merit, but at least one of them is coming to us from out around Uranus. I'll challenge the average consumer to line up all 4 iPhone units face up, and try to tell the difference between any of them. Put them in cases, the expert wouldn't be able to tell them apart. In fact, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between an iPod and an iPhone if you couldn't see the speaker mesh. They're so innovative, they all look almost identical.

In fact, light 'em all up. Are there any real differences in their interfaces? In fact, look at the iPad, gee, looks familiar, because it's identical.

You wanna buy a device, get a limited amount of memory depending on the model, and you load that up, what now?! You go buy a new device. Your battery gets weak? Send it to them, because only they're authorized to fix it. Take it in for service, you don't have the latest model with the latest upgrade, they look at you like a neanderthal, treat you like you've got a booger on your shirt, and shake their heads at your lack of hipness.

Blackberry can be improved, don't get me wrong. But we live in a world where one size doesn't fit all. Oh, and it is rather difficult to tell the difference between many of the Droid models, too. Even if built by different manufacturers, they pretty much look the same at first glance. And most of them are quite similar in form factor. Exceptions being the Epic and Pro.

Let's see, we have Bold-style, Curve Style, Pearl-style, Torch, Style, and the Storms now. Seems to me like who has a more diverse selection of forms? Yeah, the OSes are very similar, and they're a little stale, but tomorrow's another day.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by BergerKing; 12-08-10 at 05:28 PM.
    12-08-10 05:25 PM
    If I still had a BB (or some things it would take to get me back as a BB customer):

1. Upgrade BIS to eliminate truncated email, and to allow browsing of email folders/archives natively from the device. My Android based device can do that, at least on the accounts I use.

2. Upgrade the hardware. My Tour continually froze with and without the spinning clock pop up. Included in this is improving the radio on CDMA worldphones which some users have noted a strongly fluctuating signal.

3. Upgrade the OS. Also included will be upgrading the app store, and taking action to improve the number and quality of available apps. Encourage more free app development.
    12-08-10 07:30 PM
    I love my Torch, but if RIM were to build me my ideal phone:

1 - Landscape-oriented slide out keyboard
    2 - 4", hi-res touch-screen display
    3 - 800 mhz processor or better
    4 - QNX
    5 - Better Mac support re: OS upgrades & utilities
    6 - Duplicate BB and Back 'soft' buttons on the touch screen required for ALL apps
    7 - Power/USB connector located where it's accessible from within a holster.

Not necessarily in that order, but ...

8 - Most importantly, don't lose the other good BB stuff that keeps us loyal followers hanging around.

Please don't tell me there are already Android-based devices with those specs and better -- seen 'em, tried 'em, don't like 'em.

Gimme my antiquated, outdated, underpowered BB relic any day.
    12-08-10 07:33 PM
    my only wishlist:
    bring the montana aka dakota to fruition. why did rim move away from this design amazes me. i have tried all the new berries on the block but each have some upsides and downsides. take the 9700 for example,it has nice features like 3.2 mp camera, 480x360 display, 624 mhz processor,etc. but the a flaw of this device is its screen and size. ok now lets see your new marvel---the blackberry torch. this device is nice in all aspects. but it still possess the same old specs like previous devices. if rim decides never to make the montana, my blackberry days will be numbered. rim needs to ante up its specs on its products.i have a 9700 but now i don't like to use it at all. the torch i tried but returned it. apple and android are really getting my attention. but i don't want to leave blackberry but so far rim has failed to make a major impact with a revolutionary product. montana is the only thing that can save it. may the new year be prosperous for rim.
    Last edited by chetan1285; 12-08-10 at 10:46 PM. Reason: my bad
    12-08-10 09:40 PM
    Please explain to me why more MP = Better Pictures. Make no sense to me. I could go into the whole gambit about it, but it's not true.
    It most definitely is not true. I just want a phone that takes good pics (I kind like the iPhone pics). But, when you try to market against other phones that have 5mp and many approaching 9mp and such. You need to follow suit if not surpass. It's about keeping up with the Jones.
    12-09-10 02:17 AM
    Well, I'll be contentious on at least one of your statements. There are some observations that have merit, but at least one of them is coming to us from out around Uranus. I'll challenge the average consumer to line up all 4 iPhone units face up, and try to tell the difference between any of them. Put them in cases, the expert wouldn't be able to tell them apart. In fact, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between an iPod and an iPhone if you couldn't see the speaker mesh. They're so innovative, they all look almost identical.

In fact, light 'em all up. Are there any real differences in their interfaces? In fact, look at the iPad, gee, looks familiar, because it's identical.

You wanna buy a device, get a limited amount of memory depending on the model, and you load that up, what now?! You go buy a new device. Your battery gets weak? Send it to them, because only they're authorized to fix it. Take it in for service, you don't have the latest model with the latest upgrade, they look at you like a neanderthal, treat you like you've got a booger on your shirt, and shake their heads at your lack of hipness.

Blackberry can be improved, don't get me wrong. But we live in a world where one size doesn't fit all. Oh, and it is rather difficult to tell the difference between many of the Droid models, too. Even if built by different manufacturers, they pretty much look the same at first glance. And most of them are quite similar in form factor. Exceptions being the Epic and Pro.

Let's see, we have Bold-style, Curve Style, Pearl-style, Torch, Style, and the Storms now. Seems to me like who has a more diverse selection of forms? Yeah, the OSes are very similar, and they're a little stale, but tomorrow's another day.

Well, I see your point and appreciate it. But lets look at this more closely.
    When the iPhone came out it was quite an appealing and somewhat new design. There was no real change between the original and 3G/S. But there is a change with the iPhone 4. It may be subtle to some but I can definitely see it. My problem with RIM is that while you can say there was a forward change from the Curve 8330 to the 8520/30, there was almost no change to the Curve 3G. The same with Bold, Storm, etc. Product retreads (especially with design) is what I was referring to. I know there is only so much you can do with certain models/styles, but releasing the exact same phone with a litle increase in memory doesn't cut it. A good start (but not great) is the change from the Flip to the Style.
    12-09-10 02:26 AM
    Well, I see your point and appreciate it. But lets look at this more closely.
    When the iPhone came out it was quite an appealing and somewhat new design. There was no real change between the original and 3G/S. But there is a change with the iPhone 4. It may be subtle to some but I can definitely see it. My problem with RIM is that while you can say there was a forward change from the Curve 8330 to the 8520/30, there was almost no change to the Curve 3G. The same with Bold, Storm, etc. Product retreads (especially with design) is what I was referring to. I know there is only so much you can do with certain models/styles,but releasing the exact same phone with a little increase in memory doesn't cut it. A good start (but not great) is the change from the Flip to the Style.
    Color the irony so thick here. They take 4 generations to put a flash on the iPhone. It took what, 3 generations to get multitasking? Can you even get a model with a physical keyboard or a different form factor? Take Joe and Jane consumer, put a case on all four models of the iPhone, and challenge them to tell the difference between them, even turned on.

While it was new and innovative in 2007, each model of the iPhone is a mild evolution of the EXACT same device. Heck, the innovative new iPad uses the same interface, and is essentially a bloated iPod Touch.

And the 9300 series is a pretty fair step up from the 8300 and 8500 series, with fair increase in processor (624 from 328(?), double the device memory, and. At least a moderate physical refresh.

And, last but not least, you get, currently, iPhone on one , just one network. Which, according to the latest survey, has a reputation that needs a major crane to pull their rep out of the toilet bowl of mediocrity.

12-09-10 04:06 AM
    I love my Torch, but if RIM were to build me my ideal phone:

1 - Landscape-oriented slide out keyboard
    2 - 4", hi-res touch-screen display
    3 - 800 mhz processor or better
    4 - QNX
    5 - Better Mac support re: OS upgrades & utilities
    6 - Duplicate BB and Back 'soft' buttons on the touch screen required for ALL apps
    7 - Power/USB connector located where it's accessible from within a holster.

Not necessarily in that order, but ...

8 - Most importantly, don't lose the other good BB stuff that keeps us loyal followers hanging around.

Please don't tell me there are already Android-based devices with those specs and better -- seen 'em, tried 'em, don't like 'em.

Gimme my antiquated, outdated, underpowered BB relic any day.

+1 Landscape-oriented slide out keyboard
    12-09-10 06:38 AM
    My Wish list is significant

1. Server side upgrades!
      1. BIS User defined Truncating limit, BES Admin defined Truncating limit
      2. Full featured Webmail client with Both Folders& labels & Cloud Documents 2 GO,
    2. Email Folders on device, with Sorting features such as, by Sender, By date, by Size.
    3. integrated Email/Calendar/ToDo functions, ToDo does NOT need to be it's own "App" if Calendar/email integration is complete,
    4. Upgraded Camera software - Ability to Add "Title:, Comments:, Author:, Tags:, State Private/Shared)" with Macro abilities to create predefined Title/Author/Tag/State for a series of images.
    5. Hot swappable Battery!
    6. Consistent upgrade Cycle! I want to know that I am buying a BB XXXX and that in such and such a quarter is the release time for the Next version of the Style I have chosen Apple does this well.
    7. Hardware support that I feel minimal lag when doing multiple heavy tasks
    8. Full Featured File Manager, with Password protected folders, File Permission settings and exclude from View options, Folder creation/compression/deletion
    9. Multi Coloured Calendar, NOT based on which email account is used, but user selected based on appointment type,
    10. Hot swappable MicroSD Card,

You know I am sure I will want to add to this list as the day goes on but I am running late now
    Last edited by deRusett; 12-09-10 at 07:35 AM.
    12-09-10 07:00 AM
    With the year coming to a close and 2011 being right around the corner, I thought it time we create a thread where we could express our desires/wishes for occurrence with Blackberries (not playbook) in 2011. Here are mine:

2) OS Updates: All future updates should be carrier independent and unilateral. I know many don't want to hear this, but RIM should follow Apple here. While they have one product, regardless of which carrier carries it, when there is an update, all compatible products receive the update. There should be no reason for example, that the Sprint Curve 8530 received an update at the end of October, and here in November Virgin Canada receives a higher update. The days of 'removing vendor.xml' files must come to an end.

never will happen, RIM makes phones for the Carriers, we as users get to use, Apple makes phones for Apple, and it is a privileged that Apple lets users and Carriers touch their products

3) Boot Time: My Curve 8530 takes 5+ minutes (won't tell you actual time because it's too sad) to boot. While I hear that the Torch has a 1:30-2 min boot time, it's still too much. Every second counts when it comes to productivity and I can't afford for my phone to be down for any long period of time. If most manufacturers can get a PC to boot in 30 sec or less then RIM should aim for that target.
    Get an OS6 device, Boot times are already addressed

4) Installation: Speaking of boot, too many apps require a reboot upon installation or removal. First and foremost, a Blackberry is a business/productivity tool (or so RIM has forgotten). Down time is money and it's just plain annoying.
    Business users are not installing that many apps, this is a consumer issue, addressed in OS6 with reduced boot times

8) Carrier Exclusivity: This must come to an end! While I'm sure the financial incentive is large, it damages the Blackberry brand. The fact that it's flagship and ONLY completely touchscreen model is relegated to one carrier creates opportunities for competitors (Apple/Google) to gain converts to their platform. It also makes no sense to have your two top models be on carriers where you are second fiddle (AT&T/iPhone, Verizon/Droid).

You reduce your Margins once you remove exclusivity agreements, Carriers Pay YOU MORE if they get exclusivity, and they can offer deeper discounts knowing they have it, it is a Win/Win/Win for RIM/Carrier/User on Exclusive Carrier,

9) Wireless: WIFI N has been out for some time yet blackberries are still being released with just WIFI G. RIM wants consumers to pair their Blackberry with the Playbook, well introduce all new models with hotspot capabilities!
    Newest BB's released have Wireless N, Hotspot capabilities is not how they are doing pairing they are using Bluetooth, Hotspot creation is not necessarily the best way for device connectivity why not innovate rather than duplicate

10) Storage: MicroSD capabilities are a good feature for those who want extra storage, but as RIM should want less obstacles with their product (and people are lazy), blackberries need to have more included storage. People are looking for convergence products. To compete with the iPhone and Droid, integrated flash storage is a must!
    See New BB's Torch has ample Storage, ample app spacing, that needs to be address, not storage

12) Super AMOLED: To be the best and compete with the best you have to have the best. And this is just another way to separate Blackberry from other brands.

by using the same thing as other brands you seperate yourself from other brands?? not sure I understand, also AMOLED was in short supply in 2010, that will change in 2011 so I do see this wish getting granted by end of 2011 early 2012

17) Ideally RIM would have a product line as such:

Low range: Pearl/Style (8gb flash/3mp camera)
    Mid range: Bold/Curve (16gb flash/6mp camera)
    High range: Storm/Torch (32gb flash/9mp camera)

your ideal is WAY different than my ideal, and is very much a consumer ideal, my Product line would be more like so
    Entry Level Curve - Lowest Cost, Fleet phone, full featured, reliable build, none of the pretty touches,
    Specialty Phones - Pearl/Style/Torch these phones all would be "mid/high to High range builds based on time of release
    High range QWERTY - BOLD,
    High Range Touch - Storm
    Both high Ranges are top of line at release and are the launching pads for the following upgrade cycles of the aforementioned devices, if Bold gets a 1Ghz processor in Q12011, in Q4 2011 Curve gets 1Ghz Processor.
    More MP does not make a better picture, it makes a BIGGER picture, that is all. cost effectiveness dictates all phones carry the same Camera, I would standardize on a 5MP, also I see no reason a Mobile phone needs more than 8GB onboard Storage, additional storage through MicroSD cards is ideal, IF my phone is broken/damaged, recovery of the data via SDcard is far more likely than off of internal Storage, being able to takes ones Media library from phone to phone by removing the Card, is much easier than a full sync swap,

I don't agree with a lot of your wishlist as you can see but I didn't address every point, I only started to address when I saw already "solved" wishes but you are on a discount carrier, on an end of life phone,
    Last edited by deRusett; 12-09-10 at 07:35 AM.
    12-09-10 07:29 AM
    It most definitely is not true. I just want a phone that takes good pics (I kind like the iPhone pics). But, when you try to market against other phones that have 5mp and many approaching 9mp and such. You need to follow suit if not surpass. It's about keeping up with the Jones.
    The iPhone's pictures look so brilliant because of the Screen. Anyway, a good 5MP camera is PERFECT for a smart-phone. something with a good auto-focus protocol, and a nice LED flash. and i'll be honest with you, there is a an article floating around called "10 Amazing Pictures taken with Android" and the highest MP camera is only 5MP. most of them are 3.2MP....
    12-09-10 07:56 AM
    I think increases in specs should be driven by actual need, not simply keeping up with the Joneses. Spec increases generally entail battery life decreases, and battery life is an area where RIM wants to stay in a strong position. The vast majority of photos taken on a BB or other phone will only be viewed on computer screens. For that purpose, 5MP is enough; in fact, 3.2 is enough.

I think there is a market for a larger one-piece qwerty device, and at the moment RIM isn't making it. Motorola is. Two of them, in fact: The Droid Pro and the Moto Charm. Although the Charm is a weak entry, its form factor is not. RIM should have devices like these in its lineup. Beyond a certain point, a larger screen entails either no physical keyboard or some sort of movable keyboard. RIM needs to have devices that are closer to that limit, as the 9000 was.

Ubizmo
    12-09-10 01:48 PM
    Consumers always want the best and latest. We don't need RIM to tell us what spec is good enough for us and shove it down our throats. This is not communist N.Korea or Cuba.

In the eyes of the consumer 8mp > 5mp even though the clarity is the same, 1.2Ghz processor > 624Mhz processor even if the OS does not use that much processing power or even if anything greater than 624Mhz does not boost the OS's performance at all, 802.11n > 802.11g even if the Wifi routers do not support anything greater than 802.11g, etc. Consumers do not care, they want the best and latest in tech. That's consumerism for you RIM.

Battery life is rubbish on most RIM phones. Does RIM think the vast majority of consumers have the time or knowledge to browse thru crackberry and learn how to remove vendor.xml just to find the right OS which gives us solid battery juice?

RIM decided to move towards general consumers and not just for business people like us so think from the perspective of the tech hungry driven consumer of today.
    If they can't do that, then revert back to the old positioning to focus on business people.

Like i've reiterated in my earlier posts, RIM has already lost the app war so for the love of the blackberry, stop being a scrooge with the hardware specs. And stop Refreshing/Recycling In slowMotion will you?
    12-09-10 02:25 PM
    And the 9300 series is a pretty fair step up from the 8300 and 8500 series, with fair increase in processor (624 from 328(?), double the device memory, and. At least a moderate physical refresh.
    Sorry, but I have to disagree with that. While it has double the memory it is a marginal change from the previous model. If it were a new phone on its on it may be something to crow about. But it's not like they changed the form factor in the least bit, upgrade the screen res or include a flash for the camera. The only important thing about the Curve 3G is that it is OS 6.0 capable, but they screwed that up by not including it at launch. Another misstep by RIM.
    12-09-10 03:04 PM
    Consumers always want the best and latest. We don't need RIM to tell us what spec is good enough for us and shove it down our throats. This is not communist N.Korea or Cuba.

In the eyes of the consumer 8mp > 5mp even though the clarity is the same, 1.2Ghz processor > 624Mhz processor even if the OS does not use that much processing power or even if anything greater than 624Mhz does not boost the OS's performance at all, 802.11n > 802.11g even if the Wifi routers do not support anything greater than 802.11g, etc. Consumers do not care, they want the best and latest in tech. That's consumerism for you RIM.

Battery life is rubbish on most RIM phones. Does RIM think the vast majority of consumers have the time or knowledge to browse thru crackberry and learn how to remove vendor.xml just to find the right OS which gives us solid battery juice?

RIM decided to move towards general consumers and not just for business people like us so think from the perspective of the tech hungry driven consumer of today.
    If they can't do that, then revert back to the old positioning to focus on business people.

Like i've reiterated in my earlier posts, RIM has already lost the app war so for the love of the blackberry, stop being a scrooge with the hardware specs. And stop Refreshing/Recycling In slowMotion will you?
    Exactly what I was going to say! RIM has a great foothold in the business market, but they have decided to expand their business and enter the consumer realm. This is where they are losing to Apple and Google. They must make changes. They obviously should not neglect their stalwart which is business, but they MUST step it up it to compete for consumers!
    12-09-10 03:12 PM
    Sorry, but I have to disagree with that. While it has double the memory it is a marginal change from the previous model. If it were a new phone on its on it may be something to crow about. But it's not like they changed the form factor in the least bit, upgrade the screen res or include a flash for the camera. The only important thing about the Curve 3G is that it is OS 6.0 capable, but they screwed that up by not including it at launch. Another misstep by RIM.
    Because it's the entry-level device. It is capable of upgrade, and the form factor is still popular. Just because you think it isn't an improvement doesn't mean it isn't one, and it still gives a new owner a capable device at 1/4 the price of the entry level i4. And, they don't have to change networks to get one. If their carrier doesn't have it, it's coming.

More changes are in the works. Probably not everything that everyone wants, all at once. But almost all device changes are evolution over revolution.

And there was no crowing involved. At no point did I say it's the best EVER! I've merely pointed out the obvious. The Emperor has no clothes.

12-09-10 03:25 PM
    2) never will happen, RIM makes phones for the Carriers, we as users get to use, Apple makes phones for Apple, and it is a privileged that Apple lets users and Carriers touch their products

And that's the problem with RIM. Say what you want about Apple, but they are in the right on this one. RIM needs to follow suit. RIM is in the consumer market now and they can't afford missteps like this. I have a friend with a Curve 8330. She was telling me about an app that makes txts appear in a bubble/IM format. I told her she can get that with OS 5.0 and should upgrade her OS. Then I remembered that there is only one carrier in the US with OS 5 on that model and that she would have to delete vendor.xml and such which is too much for a non-tech consumer to want to deal with. Yes she could get a new phone (and she probably will), but she loves the durability of her phone. Wouldn't RIM want to have a consumer who enjoys their product have a positive experience and stay with it! The longer one is using a Blackberry the more likely they will stay with a Blackberry through product cycles. But, I can guarantee you that when she does upgrade she will be taking looks at Apple and Google OS devices were RIM does not face favorably with.

3) Get an OS6 device, Boot times are already addressed

Well considering there are only 2 devices with OS 6 included (both carrier locked) that won't be happening. As I said, boot times are still too high even with OS 6. This is an instant society that has no patience for waiting. Compared to other devices Blackberry boot times are archaic.

4)Business users are not installing that many apps, this is a consumer issue, addressed in OS6 with reduced boot times

I beg to differ! There are more and more business apps being created everyday and as such business users are installing more (not to mention those who have assigned via work and use in a consumer fashion). Also, you must realize that RIM is now in the consumer realm. If I have to reboot to install an app I many times reconsider installing the app and if I am doing something important I will decided to put it off and install later. If I wait until later I may totally forget to install the app. Thats a problem for a consumer and entail RIM. I don't recall EVER having to restart an iPod/iPhone to install an app. I see a cool app an want to install it an use it right away, not mins later. Anytime you can't use your phone is a negative view on said phone.

8)You reduce your Margins once you remove exclusivity agreements, Carriers Pay YOU MORE if they get exclusivity, and they can offer deeper discounts knowing they have it, it is a Win/Win/Win for RIM/Carrier/User on Exclusive Carrier.

It may be a Win/Win for RIM/Carrier, but how so for a consumer. If I want a Storm/Torch/Style I either have to end my contract and pay a termination fee to get the phone thus negating any discount I would get on it or wait until my contract expires. By then a new competing product may be release which I may prefer to acquire. In honesty I don't see this as a win for RIm either. A Win is in getting consumers to purchase their products and become fans of the Blackberry brand. Consumers who like a Brand will tell others and in fact my purchase for others (family). When consumers have a roadblock which prohibits or makes difficult them acquiring a product, I see it as a negative. RIM is not like Apple. I don't see droves of people leaving their carriers to get a Blackberry like they do with an iPhone. This is something I feel RIM should consider.

9) Newest BB's released have Wireless N, Hotspot capabilities is not how they are doing pairing they are using Bluetooth, Hotspot creation is not necessarily the best way for device connectivity why not innovate rather than duplicate

The Curve 3G is new and does NOT have Wifi N. I don't see using Bluetooth instead of Wifi as innovation. There are many laptops and other devices that don't have bluetooth capability, but they do have Wifi. There is a reason internet access is distributed via Wifi rather then Bluetooth. As a business device this would be quite an appealing tool. Again, RIM needs competitive edges against Apple and Google OS offerings. This could and should be one of them.

10) See New BB's Torch has ample Storage, ample app spacing, that needs to be address, not storage

The first problem is that app space and storage space are not the same. The second problem is lack of included storage space. I use to watch tv episodes on my Curve 8330. I had to convert them to be able to see them properly on the screen and due to space. I stopped doing that. It became tedious and I had an 8gb microSD card. What deceive don't I have a problem doing this with� my iPod touch and iPad. Like it or not, Blackberry is more and more becoming a consumer device. More and more cell phones are being used for more then communication. Games and media are the big things. Why limit yourself and make it difficult for people to use your devices for such. I believe the largest microSD card you can get is 16gb and it's expensive and not readily available in most places. Blackberries already come with included microSD cards (a small 2gb). Why not just include flash storage into the device?

12) by using the same thing as other brands you seperate yourself from other brands?? not sure I understand, also AMOLED was in short supply in 2010, that will change in 2011 so I do see this wish getting granted by end of 2011 early 2012

I believe there are only 2 deceives currently out that use Super AMOLED. It is seen as the best screen available. Why not use the best? If they included it in their entire lineup it would separate Blackberry for all the other devices (which is just about everyone else) that doesn't use it. End of 2011/2012 is too far away. Other devices will have appeared with it before RIM.

17) your ideal is WAY different than my ideal, and is very much a consumer ideal, my Product line would be more like so
    Entry Level Curve - Lowest Cost, Fleet phone, full featured, reliable build, none of the pretty touches,
    Specialty Phones - Pearl/Style/Torch these phones all would be "mid/high to High range builds based on time of release
    High range QWERTY - BOLD,
    High Range Touch - Storm
    Both high Ranges are top of line at release and are the launching pads for the following upgrade cycles of the aforementioned devices, if Bold gets a 1Ghz processor in Q12011, in Q4 2011 Curve gets 1Ghz Processor.
    More MP does not make a better picture, it makes a BIGGER picture, that is all. cost effectiveness dictates all phones carry the same Camera, I would standardize on a 5MP, also I see no reason a Mobile phone needs more than 8GB onboard Storage, additional storage through MicroSD cards is ideal, IF my phone is broken/damaged, recovery of the data via SDcard is far more likely than off of internal Storage, being able to takes ones Media library from phone to phone by removing the Card, is much easier than a full sync swap,

I don't see why there should be a separation between the Curve and Bold. They are the same type of phone. The only real difference is cosmetic look and the keyboard (minus camera). Its the reason I choose the Curve over the Tour/Bold. I prefer it's keyboard. It's also the same reason some prefer the Bold over the Curve. Remember the Curve used to be a high end phone. I see the Bold as a more business looking device and the Curve as a more fashionable consumer device. They should have the same internals just different externals.

I don't agree with a lot of your wishlist as you can see but I didn't address every point, I only started to address when I saw already "solved" wishes but you are on a discount carrier, on an end of life phone,

What does that have to do with anything? How am I only on a 'discount' carrier? Sprint has just as many Blackberries as Verizon. It also has an exclusive phone in the Style. My end of life phone is less then a year old and still compares favorably well to other Blackberries. The upgrade for my phone Curve3G is marginal upgrade at best. To be honest they should have just let us be able to install OS 6 on it.
    2011 had better see many positive changes for the Blackberry brand!
    12-09-10 04:18 PM
    Free PDF viewer/editor

12-09-10 04:22 PM
    Because it's the entry-level device. It is capable of upgrade, and the form factor is still popular. Just because you think it isn't an improvement doesn't mean it isn't one, and it still gives a new owner a capable device at 1/4 the price of the entry level i4. And, they don't have to change networks to get one. If their carrier doesn't have it, it's coming.

More changes are in the works. Probably not everything that everyone wants, all at once. But almost all device changes are evolution over revolution.

And there was no crowing involved. At no point did I say it's the best EVER! I've merely pointed out the obvious. The Emperor has no clothes.

1) I never said you were crowing about it or that you said it was the best ever. My crowing comment was in general.
    2) I didn't say it wasn't an improvement. I said it was a marginal one at best! And thats quite obvious.
    3) Since I don't want to bring carrier change into this, let's look at AT&T:
    Curve 3G: $99.
    iPhone 4: $199
    iPhone 3GS: $99

As you can see, it's not 1/4 of the price. It's the same price as the 3GS, which is a device that still has more capabilities then this 'new' Curve. You can get a refurb iPhone 3GS for $49 (Apple refurbs are essentially like new). I don't expect a revolution, but RIM is evolving at such a slow pace. In this market they can't afford to do so. Most of the changes I stated are not revolutionary. The changes I listen to BBM and Blackberry Maps are evolutionary. At this point, RIM may need to get revolutionary with some of it's products.
    Last edited by hispanola; 12-09-10 at 04:36 PM.
    12-09-10 04:33 PM
    My wishlist, is to have the possibility, to dualboot multiple OS's, once an app is made, or hackers wreck havoc to make it possible with custom COD's. The storm, torch, or basically any blackberry with an internal SD card would be nice.

For the other blackberries, it would be the SD card itself, with an image reserved to hold the OS and everything else, the COD installed with just the boot data.

12-09-10 04:56 PM
    1) I never said you were crowing about it or that you said it was the best ever. My crowing comment was in general.
    2) I didn't say it wasn't an improvement. I said it was a marginal one at best! And thats quite obvious.
    3) Since I don't want to bring carrier change into this, let's look at AT&T:
    Curve 3G: $99.
    iPhone 4: $199
    iPhone 3GS: $99

As you can see, it's not 1/4 of the price. It's the same price as the 3GS, which is a device that still has more capabilities then this 'new' Curve. You can get a refurb iPhone 3GS for $49 (Apple refurbs are essentially like new). I don't expect a revolution, but RIM is evolving at such a slow pace. In this market they can't afford to do so. Most of the changes I stated are not revolutionary. The changes I listen to BBM and Blackberry Maps are evolutionary. At this point, RIM may need to get revolutionary with some of it's products.
    But you still get no physical keyboard, at any price.

Ahh, I forgot that on AT&T the Curve was more expensive. That's one I missed. Good point.

But, you're taking a business device into a consumer demand center. What they have been doing isn't the most desirable, at this point. We are seeing them reposition, lining up the crew they need, and I suspect, they're going to limp for a bit as they retool the whole works, integrate, and take a shot at something we haven't seen yet. Perhaps things that we haven't even envisioned yet.

Will they succeed? That remains to be seen. Integrating the parts a whole leaves us wondering, What is Next?

We are starting to see forays into different forms and specs. 624 processors will go by the wayside, and I expect many will say good riddance. Style saw the addition of the 3rd Wi-Fi band, but as I'm on a CDMA carrier, they added the demand for Wi-Fi integration on Smartphones just last year. RIM could have installed it, but the demand had to be there.

When I entered the Smartphone world just 2 years ago, they really weren't even on my radar. I needed one, but didn't know it. One fine day in December, a young rep pointed me in this direction. I wasn't a computer guy, savvy to the electronics and mobile networks. That single day changed the way I ran my life. Ten days later, I became a member here, because I wanted to get more out of what I had. I couldn't get answers until I learned the questions.

I tease others sometimes, but I am happy that they have found devices that fulfill whatever 'itch' they may have for bigger or fancier, better screens or faster specs. Personally, their success is driving the changes that will take us into tomorrow. I do welcome that.

When I look up from the Pearl my wife had, to the Curve I started with, from the Tour I have now, to the Style I'll be using soon, I've seen changes that I do appreciate. It gets done what I need done. I do look forward to better.

Oh, one thing that is interesting. We know how mondo the sales of many of these devices is, but beyond the fans of these forums, how many of the consumers of these smartphones have any clue how to exploit them fully? I know a lot of folks who've bought one without a clue of what they can do. Joe average is happy just being able to send a message or watch something on their device. A lot of that can be to a good salesperson making a jaw drop. Yeah, some of these units are impressive to look at.

By the way, I do like the quality of sound from Apple's products, but as my main device, I cannot feel the input of a touchscreen, so typing on them regularly makes that a no-go.

Last edited by BergerKing; 12-09-10 at 05:25 PM.
    12-09-10 05:05 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD