ok so im getting my blackberry (the javelin) for att and i was wondering if 200mb would be enough now yes i dont go on alot of webpages and it has wifi but my brother told me that the emails take up a couple of megabytes each one?

is that true how much do emails use up and can i disable emails to my phone

i also use 7.8mb on my reg data plan but 1800 regular sms messages
    01-22-11 11:02 PM
    ok so im getting my blackberry (the javelin) for att and i was wondering if 200mb would be enough now yes i dont go on alot of webpages and it has wifi but my brother told me that the emails take up a couple of megabytes each one?

Your emails could be up to 2.9mb with attachments. If they are mostly text based emails without big attachments, then no, they will be very small.

Given your usage, I don't see where that's going to go over 200mb/month. You may want to see if you can track your usage on your ATT account page, so you can make sure you're on track to stay below 200mb. If you see you're using more data than that, you could always switch to a higher data allowance.
    01-22-11 11:13 PM
    can i switch in the middle of my plan and switch to a higher plan without penalties
    01-22-11 11:14 PM
    I'm going to tread lightly here. You use to beable to. Att seems to be doing changes so ask em. Don't set up your email and you don't have to worry about it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-22-11 11:22 PM
    Emails don't take up much bandwidth at all, unless you send or receive a lot of pictures, media or other large attachments. Even if you do, BB has a 3 mb limit per email anyway. Most of my emails are under 20 KB, except for ads that may be around 100 kb, but that's only if you download the images. I do a fair bit of browsing -- not constant, but probably at least an hour a day. My worst month since owning the Torch was the first month I got it when I was downloading all kinds of apps and themes to try out, and that was just under 100 mb. Since then I've been between 35-65 mb/month. What eats up your data usage is streaming audio and video for lengthy periods of time.

I'd suggest starting with 200 mb, and keep track of your usage every couple of days for the first month (set up an online account with att.com if you don't already have one). If it looks like you're going to exceed 200 mb, then just change your plan to 2gb.
    01-22-11 11:23 PM
    If you do wanna browse the web more you should use opera mini. They compress the data on their servers and send it to your phone. Added bonus its faster as well.

01-22-11 11:40 PM
    If you do wanna browse the web more you should use opera mini. They compress the data on their servers and send it to your phone. Added bonus its faster as well.

Are you saying that RIM's servers don't compress data from webpages and so forth? If so, last I knew, that is incorrect, as they do compress data including webpages.

Now, unless one is going to be on OS6, the stock browser stinks compared to the ones like Opera, Bolt, etc, but that's not the question.
    01-22-11 11:46 PM
    Based on your usage, you should be fine.

Just don't expect to be running pandora, tunein, etc, w/o wifi.
    01-22-11 11:50 PM
    Are you saying that RIM's servers don't compress data from webpages and so forth? If so, last I knew, that is incorrect, as they do compress data including webpages.

Now, unless one is going to be on OS6, the stock browser stinks compared to the ones like Opera, Bolt, etc, but that's not the question.
    Yes rim also compresses data, but opera mini does it better. Up to 90% according to their website which saves people without unlimited data money and worry. On a side note. Do you know personally that OS6 is still not as fast as bolt or opera. I have yet to see OS6 browser in action.

01-23-11 12:25 AM
    Yes rim also compresses data, but opera mini does it better. Up to 90% according to their website which saves people without unlimited data money and worry. On a side note. Do you know personally that OS6 is still not as fast as bolt or opera. I have yet to see OS6 browser in action.

I believe if you have a BB data plan you're still going through RIM's servers regardless of which browser you're using. Since RIM already compresses data, there's nothing to be gained from that perspective by switching to Opera. The only advantage would be user preference as far as look-and-feel, and even that comes down to what you're most comfortable and familiar with.

To answer your last question, I haven't tried Opera, but I did try Bolt and didn't like it at all. General consensus is that the native OS6 browser is best for OS6 devices. The difference between OS5 and OS6 browsers is like night and day.
    01-23-11 07:49 AM
    I run os6 and still stick with general browsing on Opera Mini due to the column view I lost in webkit.

Opera is just as fast, might even be faster than webkit, but I am sure it has something to do with the overall OS as opera mini was faster than stock browser on os5, but not this fast. This is mobile to mobile...full rendering sites go faster on webkit for whatever reason.

I am constantly on my browser, rather OM or webkit and stream quite a bit of music and sometimes you tube. Most I have been at in a month is 180mb's....200 you should be fine due to BB compression, which saves moola with these tiered data plans.

Might even switch mine here soon, but really not sure what T-Mobile is offering currently. I believe it is still 30 bucks per month up to 5g or something like that. So kinda wished we had a tiered plan...would save 30 bucks a month! Have two phones on data...

01-23-11 08:13 AM
    I believe if you have a BB data plan you're still going through RIM's servers regardless of which browser you're using. Since RIM already compresses data, there's nothing to be gained from that perspective by switching to Opera. The only advantage would be user preference as far as look-and-feel, and even that comes down to what you're most comfortable and familiar with.

To answer your last question, I haven't tried Opera, but I did try Bolt and didn't like it at all. General consensus is that the native OS6 browser is best for OS6 devices. The difference between OS5 and OS6 browsers is like night and day.
    Yes you are going thru rim servers but opera makes a big website "smaller" so yes it does save on data.

01-23-11 10:17 AM

THis is the easiest way to resolve your issue as i did this with VZW moving off the unlimited plan and going down to 150mb.

On At&Ts site where you choose your data plan they have a sort of virtual or interactive way that you can choose how much of what content you are going to use weekly or monthly like you can choose by a slide bar that you are going to use 200 emails a month or send 100 SMS a month and so on where at the end it will tell you in KB and MB what you are goingto use and then you will know what is correct and choose from there but it is rare that many of us approach what we think we are using on the unmited plan unless you are a true power Hog...lol

This is the truest way to know to stay unlimted if you are on it or drop to 200mb.

Hope this helps you and anyone else.

PS ON VZW in MY Verizon you can do the same thing and it actually has where you can go back 3 months at a time and compare your data usage.
    01-23-11 10:50 AM
    Yes you are going thru rim servers but opera makes a big website "smaller" so yes it does save on data.

I thought opera ran through it's own servers. Last year during a rim outage I was still able to browse the web using opera, but the native browser was dead.

01-23-11 03:31 PM
    I thought opera ran through it's own servers. Last year during a rim outage I was still able to browse the web using opera, but the native browser was dead.

I remember that and yes I was able to use opera as well. I did some research and it does not go thru rims servers. Thanks for the correction.

01-23-11 04:21 PM
    just to clarify...

data for the stock browser goes thru RIM servers and gets compressed to some degree.

Data for Opera Mini does NOT go thru RIM servers, but rather it goes thru its own servers. It also gets compressed (up to 90% if advertising is correct)

is this info correct? what about Bolt? does that also bypass RIM's servers?

01-24-11 12:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD