I don't see why people complain so much about sending huge attachments on emails. Mail servers are not designed to handle large files, they are ment for speed of very small files. If you want to transfer files, use an FTP server. Thats what they are designed for. Sending attachments is what clogs up mail servers and delays emails for everyone else using that mail server.
    are you still using an email server from the 80's? That statement is False in everyway. Email servers are designed to handle attachments and large ones at that. Email servers and email attachments are used more frequently than FTP servers which where popular in the 80-90s
    03-11-10 03:05 PM
    Wow, great logical argument

Where do you get the idea email isnt meant to have attachments? Id love to see those rules, if there were even rules for email out there besides people making things up. Considering most email providers, as I showed above, allow 10-25mb attachments, it highly contradicts what youre saying.

FTP is clunky and inconvenient to send someone a document. Why have to sit there and upload a file to a FTP server, then email the person the file is there so they can go log on and download it. Thats more complex then it need be. You attach the document to the email and they open the email and can directly download it with one click.,

And 5 or 10mb is NOT huge. I have a 19 slide Powerpoint presentation in front of me thats almost 600k. Imagine a more complex lengthy presentation someone was giving, it could easily surpass 2.9mb. Its still a business function!

Face the music, RIM hasnt adapted their mentality and system in the last 10 years for the changing times.
    you're right, i'm a webmaster and have worked with servers for the last 12yrs ever since i was a kid too. RIM is still stuck in the 90's attachments via email are very important. Yes FTP will always be there but one of many reason why Email attachments are more popular is because the ease of use. The avg person would be confused on an FTP server, which can be less secure when having multiple people accessing it.

I would bet RIM's number one or near number one reason is probably cost of upgrading there systems to handle the extra bandwidth and storage, cause you have to remember just about everything passes through rim's gateways. sending large emails and attachments would bring things to a crawl... rim needs to spend the money and upgrade and give BB owners larger attachments and emails
    03-11-10 03:16 PM
    Do you have some data to back up that claim?
    No because it was merely an answer to the argument that BBM is important in business. BBM IS proprietary, it only works between BB's which are only about 10% of the world's phones.

It's not an argument. GIven that RIM doesn't provide something that meets your needs, changing to another provider would seem to be imperative.
    No but its a lame comeback to a factual debate. Its a cop-out answer when you have no good answer, instead of just admitting the shortcomings pointed out (almost as if its too painful to admit).

are you still using an email server from the 80's? That statement is False in everyway. Email servers are designed to handle attachments and large ones at that. Email servers and email attachments are used more frequently than FTP servers which where popular in the 80-90s
    I see someone gets it

you're right, i'm a webmaster and have worked with servers for the last 12yrs ever since i was a kid too. RIM is still stuck in the 90's attachments via email are very important. Yes FTP will always be there but one of many reason why Email attachments are more popular is because the ease of use. The avg person would be confused on an FTP server, which can be less secure when having multiple people accessing it.

I would bet RIM's number one or near number one reason is probably cost of upgrading there systems to handle the extra bandwidth and storage, cause you have to remember just about everything passes through rim's gateways. sending large emails and attachments would bring things to a crawl... rim needs to spend the money and upgrade and give BB owners larger attachments and emails
    I agree, among other things like why is BIS still so stripped down vs BES. So you have to have BES access AND pay them another $15/month?! There should be no BIS/BES distinction as every other platform supports the email features out of the box- folders, contact and calendar sync, proper gmail support, big attachments, no truncation in your $30 data plan, no BES, no $15 extra/month.

Between your point and lackluster BIS it shows RIM cares more about the $$ than their consumers- who still make up nearly 50% of their business. Theyre stuck in a 1990's business model which they wont stray from where email on a phone was a luxury that few had and would pay top dollar for few features.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 03-11-10 at 05:10 PM.
    03-11-10 05:08 PM
    Document ID: KB03592

What is the maximum email message size when using a BlackBerry Internet Service account.

Overview

Email messages received using a BlackBerry Internet Service account cannot exceed 8 MB (5 MB for the attachment and 3 MB for the email message), regardless of the size of the mailbox.

Additional Information

The 8 MB size limit includes overhead created by base64 encoding. After applying base64 encoding, the largest email message that can be sent using a BlackBerry Internet Service account is 5 MB.

When an email message that is larger than 8 MB is sent to an email address that is associated with the BlackBerry Internet Service, the body of the email message will appear as:

Message truncated due to size.

BTSC is your friend
    03-25-10 11:24 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD