Seriously RIM/ATT, I thought BB was a business phone and just a meager 2.9MB attachment limit? It's 2010.
    I understand having attachment limits but 2.9MB is unacceptable. The limit should be at least 10MB.

</rant>

How do you guys deal with this? I am constantly on the field and being able to open attachments (at least the ones sent from the office) would be a big plus.
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 03-10-10 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Profanity
    03-10-10 01:11 PM
    It's blackberries and not AT&T. One of the main issues I have with blackberries are those limites as well as truncated emails. I get a lot messages throughout the week with all kinds of attachments and the message gets truncated and I have to wait til I get home to view them. I dealt with it but switching phones because that was very big for me. But some others may know of some workarounds to help.
    03-10-10 01:16 PM
    Seriously RIM/ATT, I thought BB was a business phone and just a meager 2.9MB attachment limit? It's 2010.
    I understand having attachment limits but 2.9MB is unacceptable. The limit should be at least 10MB.

</rant>

How do you guys deal with this? I am constantly on the field and being able to open attachments (at least the ones sent from the office) would be a big plus.
    You get to use profanities in your business emails? I wish I could do that.
    03-10-10 03:31 PM
    Yes perhaps your concerns/rants would be taken more seriously if you would post without using profanities.
    03-10-10 04:50 PM
    I agree with you. The "Best" emailing device should be able to handle attachments.
    03-10-10 07:05 PM
    I don't know any business that can receive a 10mb email.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-10-10 07:31 PM
    The profanity was edited out! Actually another mod that got it JUST as I was about it edit it. I clicked on edit and it was already gone. I did a WTH (that's What The HECK! )
    03-10-10 07:38 PM
    I agree, I don't see why I can stream gigs of data all month long yet a 3mb file is beyond limitations.

03-10-10 07:47 PM
    I don't know any business that can receive a 10mb email.

Really? WinMo can, Android can, WebOs can, and iphone can. Everyone EXCEPT RIM.

Mostly any email service these days handle more than 10mb attachments. Gmail is 25mb, MS Live is 10mb, Yahoo is 10mb free account 20mb Premium account.

As someone said above, why can you blow through 100mb of data in a day with no reprimand, which goes through RIM's servers too, but you cant download a measly 5mb attachment? The logic to it makes no sense, other than their email system is antiquated.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 03-10-10 at 08:27 PM.
    03-10-10 08:19 PM
    Really? WinMo can, Android can, WebOs can, and iphone can. Everyone EXCEPT RIM.

Mostly any email service these days handle more than 10mb attachments. Gmail is 25mb, MS Live is 10mb, Yahoo is 10mb free account 20mb Premium account.

As someone said above, why can you blow through 100mb of data in a day with no reprimand, which goes through RIM's servers too, but you cant download a measly 5mb attachment? The logic to it makes no sense, other than their email system is antiquated.
    When I said business, I meant company (BES). I get emails to clients rejected when they have a 3.5mb file attached through Outlook.
    Last edited by sdmcwilliams; 03-10-10 at 08:33 PM.
    03-10-10 08:30 PM
    I know its probly not what your looking for but you can download files of any size with opera mini 5 browser.. Doesn't matter the file extension either..I just downloaded a 98 mb .exe file earlier today

03-10-10 10:26 PM
    Don't forget the ever popular 32k byte size limitation of emails too.
    03-10-10 10:56 PM
    I agree, I don't see why I can stream gigs of data all month long yet a 3mb file is beyond limitations.

Streaming doesn't go through RIM, that's why. It's through the carriers.
    03-10-10 11:30 PM
    I agree this is a real problem and a royal PITA at times.

From RIM's point of view they're probably protecting their network from viruses and spam and DOS attacks. From an infrastructure point of view killing big attachments is good policy.

But sometimes somebody emails me a big PDF document or a giant Excel and it doesn't work. I guess you could argue nobody foresaw that handhelds would have enough power to manage big files (and maybe you could say they still really don't do an adequate job). Maybe it's time to reconsider the requirements and options.
    03-11-10 02:57 AM
    When I said business, I meant company (BES). I get emails to clients rejected when they have a 3.5mb file attached through Outlook.
    Thats likely BES, still RIM, causing this not your company's email though. ISP email generally supports 10mb attachments or more from a desktop. Its really just a RIM issue.

Streaming doesn't go through RIM, that's why. It's through the carriers.
    Ok well lets say the stock web browser then which is rendered through RIM's servers. You could rack of 100mb or more of browsing all day, no one will come knocking on your door and RIM wont cut off your browsing; but you cant do a 5mb attachment? The logic still sounds backwards to me.

I agree this is a real problem and a royal PITA at times.

From RIM's point of view they're probably protecting their network from viruses and spam and DOS attacks. From an infrastructure point of view killing big attachments is good policy.

But sometimes somebody emails me a big PDF document or a giant Excel and it doesn't work. I guess you could argue nobody foresaw that handhelds would have enough power to manage big files (and maybe you could say they still really don't do an adequate job). Maybe it's time to reconsider the requirements and options.

Viruses/attacks might be there excuse but I dont buy it.

As I, and you, have pointed out, they just havent changed with the times. Theyre email system is based on the needs of emailing 10-15 years ago where it was just text and you were lucky if an attachment was 1mb (a word doc or spreadsheet) and not many people even had home PCs in the numbers they do today to send/receive these types of things. Heck we were still using Windows 95 up until 1999 and dot matrix printers, only a mere 11 years ago. The things we do on computers now werent even a thought even that short time ago, it has just changed so fast.

RIM just hasnt adapted their ecosystem to equally change with the times. As we both have said, a big PDF or powerpoint can easily exceed 2.9mb these days (even a photo, photos in email are a big part of business in this new computer age) which wasnt even a thought when RIM started doing BB. The problem is RIM hasnt changed their system to adapt with new use, its basically the same restrictions theyve always had on their services and havent been adjusted to meet todays computing needs.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 03-11-10 at 03:37 AM.
    03-11-10 03:27 AM
    We agree with the facts but we differ on the conclusions. RIM has to deal with issues regular email providers don't have to deal with, and a 3M limit may work for 99.9% of all emails. It's that 1/10% that's a problem. I'm willing to accept the limitation but I understand other people aren't.
    03-11-10 03:50 AM
    I dont know where you assert the 99.9 vs 1/10th percentages from, but the point is if its a business phone it SHOULD be capable if someone needs it.

After all, even if a smaller percent it could equally cost you hundreds of thousands of dollars up to millions on a business deal.

Pretty much there's no excuse not to have more function thats a norm these days.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 03-11-10 at 05:32 AM.
    03-11-10 05:29 AM
    If there were other infrastructure providers with push email, peer-to-peer messaging, and peer-to-peer file transfer you would have a basis for comparison.

As it is, nobody offers anything comparable, so it's hard to argue what the norm is without all things being equal.

Businesses live with these limitations because they want the other features that RIM provides. They can't get mad at their employees for not being able to process big attachments. Consumers can get upset at anything they want, but they should probably do more research before selecting a device.
    03-11-10 06:04 AM
    BBM isnt a basis for any argument, its a proprietary communication tool that far and few between use in the real world compared to the total number of BB users.

And there's a little something called MS Exchange which provides push mail to WinMo, iphone, Pre, and Android which plays a big part in corporate email. Saying there's nothing comparable is anything but the truth, maybe for security alone BB has little competition, but not for email anymore.

I dont get where people get this insane idea that BB is the only one who does push email. WinMo has been doing it with exchange for 5-10 years, iphone does, Pre does, and most Android devices do too. Exchange IS push email.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 03-11-10 at 07:22 AM.
    03-11-10 07:19 AM
    Ok, so sell your BlackBerry and stop bellyaching. It obviously isn't what you want.
    03-11-10 07:37 AM
    I don't see why people complain so much about sending huge attachments on emails. Mail servers are not designed to handle large files, they are ment for speed of very small files. If you want to transfer files, use an FTP server. Thats what they are designed for. Sending attachments is what clogs up mail servers and delays emails for everyone else using that mail server.
    03-11-10 07:48 AM
    Ok, so sell your BlackBerry and stop bellyaching. It obviously isn't what you want.
    Wow, great logical argument

I don't see why people complain so much about sending huge attachments on emails. Mail servers are not designed to handle large files, they are ment for speed of very small files. If you want to transfer files, use an FTP server. Thats what they are designed for. Sending attachments is what clogs up mail servers and delays emails for everyone else using that mail server.

Where do you get the idea email isnt meant to have attachments? Id love to see those rules, if there were even rules for email out there besides people making things up. Considering most email providers, as I showed above, allow 10-25mb attachments, it highly contradicts what youre saying.

FTP is clunky and inconvenient to send someone a document. Why have to sit there and upload a file to a FTP server, then email the person the file is there so they can go log on and download it. Thats more complex then it need be. You attach the document to the email and they open the email and can directly download it with one click.,

And 5 or 10mb is NOT huge. I have a 19 slide Powerpoint presentation in front of me thats almost 600k. Imagine a more complex lengthy presentation someone was giving, it could easily surpass 2.9mb. Its still a business function!

Face the music, RIM hasnt adapted their mentality and system in the last 10 years for the changing times.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 03-11-10 at 07:57 AM.
    03-11-10 07:51 AM
    BBM isnt a basis for any argument, its a proprietary communication tool that far and few between use in the real world compared to the total number of BB users.

... snip
    Do you have some data to back up that claim?
    03-11-10 11:05 AM
    Wow, great logical argument

It's not an argument. GIven that RIM doesn't provide something that meets your needs, changing to another provider would seem to be imperative.
    03-11-10 02:49 PM
    I to dislike the RIM limit and truncated emails. The only thing that is keeping me with RIM/Blackberry is the security. The windows 7 mobile phone looks nice, I just want to know how secure it is. I love how wipe a password protected BB still retains the password and makes reloading / reusing the device very difficult without the unlock password.

p.s.
    why do the same repliers always respond to threads with profanity and give there opinion that doesn't help the thread... we're all adult who cares if the guy uses profanity with reason who cares.
    03-11-10 03:01 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD