I recently downloaded an app from BB World and was asked to create an ID, which I did. I later received an email stating that I had signed up for a pre approved payment thru Pay Pal. I looked at my Pay Pal account and now there is a $1,500 credit limit from RIM. How does this work?? Do they just add what I purchase onto my bill at a later time? Otherwise, what's the point of having the credit limit if it's still going to come out of my regular account right away. Someone please help!
    09-28-10 03:53 PM
    The updated AppWorld requires a user id. The rest of your situation I have never heard of but I'll subscribe to this thread for other replies.
    09-28-10 04:07 PM
    I'm confuzed with a "Z."
    09-28-10 04:16 PM
    Other people have reported it. You should cancel that "pre-approved" transaction.
    09-28-10 04:57 PM
    That is strange as all ****, I would cancel as well and some how report that...to who, I don't know, but don't use it...When I signed up, just asked me for my password, never had something like that come up...be forewarned...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-28-10 05:02 PM
    Honey that is a fake paypal scam. do not give them your cc info or you will quickly be sucked dry to the limit on you cc.
    09-28-10 05:06 PM
    IGNORE those scams, DON'T click on any links in the e-mail you got and DO NOT give them any information. You will be PHISHED if you do.

09-28-10 05:39 PM
    I'd change ya passwords 2 just to be safe........

09-29-10 02:01 AM
    And what I HIGHLY recommend for anyone using Ebay/Paypal is to get the security token. That way, even if somehow someone figured out your PW, it is moot sinc they would not also have your token. Good ol' two-factor authentication. It's worth the effort.

In actuality, they now use credit card sized tokens instead of the keyfobs:

09-29-10 07:20 AM
    One easy way to spot the PayPal scams is to read the message carefully, real PayPal messages will have your actual name in them as in "Dear John Smith" scam messages will just say "Dear PayPal user" or "Dear <email address>".
    09-29-10 09:57 AM
    Yes...and if you get one of those, forward it to either spoof@ebay.com or spoof@paypal.com. that forwards it to the respective investigation unit.
    09-29-10 11:05 AM
    I am a bit confused...

A limit or a charge?

At first I read it as though you'll be able to purchase apps, but
    you'll have a limit of $1500 to spend.

Whatever the case, I agree with the users above... that sounds
    fishy and there should be no need to login through a link outside
    of RIM/PayPal directly.
    09-29-10 12:10 PM
    @Tiassa .. the email actually does say my name (first and last) but to be on the safe side, I will change all passwords and forward concern to paypal.

Thanks everyone!
    10-05-10 10:51 AM
    WOA!! calm down everyone lol.

It just means you can't spend more than $1500 in a year with App world thats all.

When you link your paypal account to App world, a Pre-Arranged Payment limit is created.

If you log into Paypal and click on "Profile", then click on "Pre-approved Payments" you'll find it in there. Everytime you purchase an item using app world you pre arranged limit will decrease by that amount. its sort of like a gambling limit that you can set to specifiy the total amount a player can bet in one night.

Once you spend that much you will no longer be able to buy anything using app world until a new pre arranged agreement is created with RIM.
    Last edited by kparton; 10-06-10 at 06:01 AM.
    10-06-10 05:56 AM
    This is NOT a scam. Unfortunately when you order an RIM phone app and pay using PayPal, Research in Motion (RIM) set up a pre-approved plan with PayPal, which at best is very dubious business practice to say the least, especially if the app is ordered for a child or friend, as they would then have access to $1500 (1034) pre-approved app debits for their App World account. The first the PayPal account holder would know, if they ignored the PayPal email about a pre-approved plan (with no finance info) would be when further apps etc caused a PayPal debit.

It isn't easy to find the details at PayPal to cancel pre-approved plans. I had to type in 'pre-approved plans' in the search box at my PayPal account to find the plan and CANCEL it! IT WAS NOT LISTED UNDER PROFILE PRE-APPROVED PAYMENTS, there being no such link....

Fortunately in my case, PayPal had put a block on it pending using a new PIN at App World, but I still don't like this practice.... AT ALL .... It is very much the SHARP end of what can amount to unwittingly giving (VERY LARGE) PayPal funding to a child or friend.

It might well be the case that RIM ALSO do this with credit cards, which you would NOT know anything about until you checked your statement. You DO check your credit card statements each month carefully for EACH item? BTW?

The other thing I REALLY don't like about pre-approved plans is that fraudulent or erroneous debits can originate from RIM without any recourse except to ATTEMPT a re-imbursement via PayPal or your credit card company. GOOD LUCK with this one if RIM claim the debit is genuine......!

There doesn't appear to be ANY safe way to pay for phone apps with RIM at App World, as using a debit card might result in a direct debit being set up on the account.
    Last edited by chazzo125; 12-30-10 at 06:50 PM.
    12-30-10 06:29 PM
    Thank you! I did the same thing! I canceled several $1500.00 pre approved payments! I found three more today! I called my paypal master card, they had no idea what I was talking about. They are researching it. My paypal master card is connected with my 9810! Has not worked lately!
    10-30-11 05:32 AM
    Wow, good find. I found and cancelled Rim's pre approved payments crapola on PayPal too!
    10-30-11 06:43 AM
    I wonder how RIM accounts for all this, and whether it makes their Financial Statments look better than they really should... hmm.
    10-30-11 08:20 AM
    The preapproval limit doesn't really matter to end users.
    Every company sets up credit limits when you open an account, if you are aware of it that's another story.

IF you were an Enterprise user that is when this Credit limit matters, basically they don't want someone order $1501 worth of apps then canceling payment after installation and deployment. The Credit limit is NOT a yearly limit, once transactions have been paid and cleared and dispute time has passed the credit is restored.

Having this published to pay pal must have been a "feature" added

10-30-11 08:30 AM
    I wonder how RIM accounts for all this, and whether it makes their Financial Statments look better than they really should... hmm.
    If anything t would make them look worse, having the potential at ever app world user using their 1500 limit and locking RIMs cashflow during the processing of payment, and requiring the staff to manage such credit limits

rcheung135 likes this.
    10-30-11 08:32 AM
    I'm just curious how this would lock in their cash flow at the point of processing the payment?
    10-30-11 05:09 PM
    I'm just curious how this would lock in their cash flow at the point of processing the payment?
    They issue payment to the developers, if they are chasing payment from a source the Developer is still getting their cut, part of the reason RIM gets their 30% because they do take that risk, though very small.

plus they must earmark money to cover losses
    10-30-11 05:13 PM
    Very useful information people, thanks.
    10-30-11 06:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD