I don't see any problems with kids owning a BB these days as long as their means of $$ (in this case, their parents) is there to support it.

If you're going to buy this phone just so you have a better phone than your friends, DON'T. Anything done for the sake of impressing people is a waste of time. People should be looking and admiring you not because of what you have, what cars you drive, or the clothes you're wearing, but because of what you have achieved.

EG
    03-18-09 05:51 PM
    People, stop giving this kid ****. Just because some of us are privileged doesn't make us bad at all. And why punish us and call us spoiled or greedy just because our parents are successful and are able to provide great things for us? (Well,my Mom at least)
    03-18-09 06:37 PM
    People, stop giving this kid ****. Just because some of us are privileged doesn't make us bad at all. And why punish us and call us spoiled or greedy just because our parents are successful and are able to provide great things for us? (Well,my Mom at least)
    I don't even really know where to go with that. So, I'll just say... Awesome(?).
    03-18-09 06:43 PM
    being well off, or privileged is a wonderful thing. Here's the thing, If you're respectful to others/parents, mature enough to handle the responsiblity, willing to take blame for your actions, etc -- then I'm on your side.

if you (or others) expect that just because your parents have money that you deserve a fancy phone/car/toys, if you don't care about the cost, don't care who you put out, and think that getting a Smartphone makes you better than others, you need a good ol' fashioned *** beatin.
    03-18-09 07:58 PM
    being well off, or privileged is a wonderful thing. Here's the thing, If you're respectful to others/parents, mature enough to handle the responsiblity, willing to take blame for your actions, etc -- then I'm on your side.

if you (or others) expect that just because your parents have money that you deserve a fancy phone/car/toys, if you don't care about the cost, don't care who you put out, and think that getting a Smartphone makes you better than others, you need a good ol' fashioned *** beatin.
    Well, everyone seems to think I'm respectful, and I did pay for my phone, as I did my enV on Verizon, and my first Razr, and the 50 dollar insurance fee after that one broke. And I am very mature according to most as well. My average is always above a 95 in school, and I work hard and study. Thanks for someone finally understanding that not all kids are immature brats, and not everyone is poor.
    03-18-09 08:27 PM
    I don't even really know where to go with that. So, I'll just say... Awesome(?).
    Go with what? Please. Honestly tell me what is wrong with my statement. I would really like to know.
    03-18-09 08:29 PM
    I don't WANT to talk to her...get it through your head. I'm happily married to the most beautiful woman in the world. Now SHE is a lady, and knows how to act like one.
    Riiiiggghhttt......then why so incredibly perturbed about what a 19 year old girl does with her BBM or who she talks to based on what factor? Only logical deduction for that childish off-topic behavior was that was a personal attack of rejection.

Keep your little extramarital infatuations in PMs and stop harassing the people here, that's TOTALLY uncalled for, especially to a lady. If you're truly married you should've learned by now to show some respect to women no matter what they choose to do.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 03-19-09 at 01:35 AM.
    03-19-09 01:10 AM
    What I find hilarious is kids riding their bikes down the street and talking on the phone! Are they so busy they need to be on a phone that much?

Now, I'm not this teenager's parent, and ultimately it's up to them to decide if they can even have a phone much less a BB since legally they cannot enter into a cellphone contract.

If they WERE my child, there is no way that I would allow them to have a BB. A cellphone, yes - for safety and convenience. They will have enough time when they get jobs to be tethered to a BB 24/7. Personally, I think a BB is not needed until at least college. By that time, they are an adult and can get it if they want it. But that's just me.
    03-19-09 02:04 AM
    Adobephile. I have 3 children. 10,7 and 2. The two oldest are girls and they both have had BBs for over a year and love them. You get whatever your parents allow you to get and don't listen to these negative remarks. The fact that you used the word fancy-shmancy is hilarioud, for a 14yr old.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-19-09 04:55 AM
    I didn't read through everything, but...

If you want phone and sms, you can do it.

If you want data, you will need to get the bb data plan. Not that the regular data plan won't work, but you will have your parents pulling their hairs out when they get the bill with hundreds of dollars in overages. I'm on a BB data plan for my iPhone and I was told I need to remove it before I get charged pay per use rates. I actually thought since both were $30, it wouldn't matter and the fact that I'm a manager there... lol. Nope! My issue is that I use all different types of phones on my line and can't and don't have the time to call in to keep changing plans.
    03-19-09 06:55 AM
    I have a desk drawer full of cell phones I've confiscated from students who thought my class time was synonymous with "The Mr. B's text messaging hour". I've taken everything from little prepaid phones with monochrome screens to brand spanking new iphones and blackberry bolds and storms. Truthfully, the top drawer in my desk is probably worth more than the rest of my room combined.

Moral of my post? Kids need fewer distractions in school. Cell phones are about as "necessary" as Accordions and Banjos when you are too young to even drive.
    03-19-09 07:33 AM
    I think this thread is getting off track again. And for the one above me, I have my driver's license.

03-19-09 07:36 AM
    Riiiiggghhttt......then why so incredibly perturbed about what a 19 year old girl does with her BBM or who she talks to based on what factor? Only logical deduction for that childish off-topic behavior was that was a personal attack of rejection.

Keep your little extramarital infatuations in PMs and stop harassing the people here, that's TOTALLY uncalled for, especially to a lady. If you're truly married you should've learned by now to show some respect to women no matter what they choose to do.
    I pmd dervari and we settled it all, we are actually good now.
    Also I'm a big girl and I can handle things on my own! Thanks for trying, but I didn't need your help.
    03-19-09 07:37 AM
    Wow.

I just don't even know what to say to that. Although I now understand your post in another thread that it's okay to essentially steal a Storm that is supposed to be returned damaged and activate and use it as well as the replacement handset because it's not like it's stealing a car and Verizon is a big company so somehow deserves the theft. You have some skewed priorities and alot of growing up to do.
    03-19-09 07:46 AM
    Go with what? Please. Honestly tell me what is wrong with my statement. I would really like to know.
    I'll take that one.

You sound like an elitest brat who flaunts your mothers money and has no comprehension of earning your own way.
    03-19-09 07:48 AM
    Adobephile. I have 3 children. 10,7 and 2. The two oldest are girls and they both have had BBs for over a year and love them. You get whatever your parents allow you to get and don't listen to these negative remarks. The fact that you used the word fancy-shmancy is hilarioud, for a 14yr old.

I just want to make sure I am understanding this correctly......your 10 year old and 7 year old girls have blackberries?

If this is what you meant you truly made my day! I no longer feel like a schmuck for buying my 7 year old daughter a samsung juke (a regular phone). As long as we are in the states she can have a phone but if she wants a data plan she better get a j-o-b, I am not made of dinero.
    Last edited by 3addisons; 03-19-09 at 08:51 AM.
    03-19-09 07:55 AM
    OMG LOL 10/10 yes if your 14 please please get a firefly and leave the BB to real phone users.

LOL I just had to pipe in and say I think the teens ARE the real phone users...

I am just saying..my 16 year old daughter has taught me a thing or two about our curves!
    03-19-09 08:14 AM
    LOL I just had to pipe in and say I think the teens ARE the real phone users...

I am just saying..my 16 year old daughter has taught me a thing or two about our curves!
    You know I think you are on to something- I went to a parent/teacher conference the other day and the teacher told me that my little first grader is learning things she was learning in 3rd grade. So of course knowing that the teacher is about five years my junior I am thinking my kid is learning things I was learning in 5th grade. I have a feeling when we reach that time where I should be helping her with her homework I will be paying a tutor because I will have no idea what they are talking about!

Just as an example.....she brought home a worksheet the other night for math. They were doing AREA!
    03-19-09 08:21 AM
    Ok I'm seeing some personal attacks again! Please gang we can disagree without being disagreeable.

Should kids have cell phones or blackberries? We all have our opinions, but ultimately it's up to the parents.
    03-19-09 08:41 AM
    Ok I'm seeing some personal attacks again! Please gang we can disagree without being disagreeable.

Should kids have cell phones or blackberries? We all have our opinions, but ultimately it's up to the parents.
    That's not the topic. It's been covered already, a few times. Seriously. The mods need to come in and close this one. The "adults" are clownin', big time.
    03-19-09 08:43 AM
    Damn... a 14 year old with a Bold? When I was 14, I was just getting introduced to AOL and thought the IM feature was bad ***.
    03-19-09 12:05 PM
    I have a desk drawer full of cell phones I've confiscated from students who thought my class time was synonymous with "The Mr. B's text messaging hour". I've taken everything from little prepaid phones with monochrome screens to brand spanking new iphones and blackberry bolds and storms. Truthfully, the top drawer in my desk is probably worth more than the rest of my room combined.

Moral of my post? Kids need fewer distractions in school. Cell phones are about as "necessary" as Accordions and Banjos when you are too young to even drive.
    Awesome, Awesome point. I totally agree.
    03-19-09 12:12 PM
    Damn... a 14 year old with a Bold? When I was 14, I was just getting introduced to AOL and thought the IM feature was bad ***.
    When I was 14, I was learning how to use an Abacus.
    03-19-09 12:42 PM
    At 14 I had a computer an Apple II! My Dad had a cell phone, but it came in a big bag and cost thousands and I wasn't allowed ANYWHERE near! LOL
    03-19-09 01:37 PM
    When I was 14 i was outside riding my bike!
    03-19-09 01:52 PM
148 ... 3456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD