Really? I get annoyed by idiots all day too, and I'm not even a beautiful real adult woman.
    well seriously, some d-bag is going to sit here and cry online some girl wont talk to him on BBM and insult her? Shes a lady show some freaking class and grow up!!!!

Continuing to act like an a-hole shows nothing other than thats exactly the reason why she doenst give out her BBM!!!
    Last edited by stuaw11; 03-18-09 at 11:36 AM.
    03-18-09 11:26 AM
    I will never understand why anyone would get a blackberry without a data plan..without the data plan you basically just have a regular old phone..
    03-18-09 11:31 AM
    I will never understand why anyone would get a blackberry without a data plan..without the data plan you basically just have a regular old phone..
    Keyboard + wifi (Bold/8900)
    03-18-09 11:35 AM
    Keyboard + wifi (Bold/8900)
    +Calendar, Address Book, tons of apps, multimedia etc...
    03-18-09 11:37 AM
    haha good deal!! I might just have to take a trip up there.

Personally I use my bb for:
    SMS
    Phone
    MMS
    Email
    Internet
    BBM
    Pictures
    Yahoo Messagner
    AIM
    Calender
    &Password keeper

+All the fun apps you can use on it.
    Dam lol. Im still getting used to all the features on it..this is my first BB and ive only had it for 2 weeks but slowly but surely im using for more and more things. BBM is amazing lol
    03-18-09 11:42 AM
    In the end, the parents are on the hook anyway since a 14 year old is considered a child in the eyes of the law and cannot sign a contract.

Would I get my 14 year old a BB, regardless of if they were paying the money? NO. Because legally, they are not the ones on the hook and justify all you want there is absolutely no reason for a 14 year old to have a BB. If they want a texting phone, get one of the new dumbphones with QWERTY keyboard.
    03-18-09 12:10 PM
    Wow!

Out of genuine curiosity, why would you give your 7 year old a cell phone of any kind? I can't fathom having needed one at that age personally. That's just fresh out of Kindergarten... at that age, way back when, I was either with my friends during the day or playing with them at night or tending to our dinosaurs and carving out our homework in stone. Is it something typical to where you are, that all kids have one?
    Like GBAdude said, partially for security. Between my wife, myself and a grandmother, we know where he is at - at all times, but it's just a little piece of mind. He text messages and sends picture messages to friends and family just like the rest of us --- and doesn't have to use my phone to do so. Plus our house is a pretty geeky house, and as long as he uses the phone responsibly I'll continue to pay the $10/month for his line. I really don't know if other kids in his school have their own phones, but I bet a few do. And really, he's a normal kid overall... he plays legos for hours on end, hot wheels cars, just got interested into model rockets, and he loves to learn about dinosaurs and the weather. He also has a fairly new computer of his own, also a hand-me-down... but since I'm a geek and wife is a pseudo geek, we have 8 (I think more) computers in the house, him having one of his own we felt was OK. So... he has a computer and phone. Luxuries, I guess so. Maybe a little spoiled, but he uses them. His typing/spelling exceeds anyone in his class, and even some adults I know. If I see his grades drop or any problems in school, attitude, etc - he'd lose his phone/computer in a heartbeat. Honestly? I think he might care the first day, but he'd get over it and find something new to play with and not worry about it.

Just went to preview post, and wow, damn. Sorry. I'm all over the place and thoughts mixed together.
    03-18-09 12:20 PM
    Rofl, such delicious drama. <3
    03-18-09 12:39 PM
    So, let's get back on topic here. Some of this stuff is way off base and should be taken to the PMs.
    AMEN! While it's ok to debate the issue, it is NOT ok for us to make personal attacks against each other. Now both of you kiss and make up or take it to PM, before the moderators get wind and take action. Come on gang we are better than this on CB!
    03-18-09 12:48 PM
    AMEN! While it's ok to debate the issue, it is NOT ok for us to make personal attacks against each other. Now both of you kiss and make up or take it to PM, before the moderators get wind and take action. Come on gang we are better than this on CB!
    You should of added SOME, but oh well. It all started from me stating my OPINION! then people went with that and ran with it, hopefully no one was running with a sharp object in their hand.
    03-18-09 01:23 PM
    I don't think there is any reason for a 14 year old to have anything other than a regular phone. If they want something different then they can pay for it. When I started high school I paid for my phone by doing chores around the house and it was even still a pay as you go phone.

I have a blackberry now for work and to get in touch with professors at school. It is by no means something that I need just a luxury that makes my life easier. I do not see a 14 year old have that many appointments that they need to have a blackberry. I don't understand why children (yes at 14 your are still a child) needs to have a phone of that caliber. All it will do is distract from things that you need to pay attention to like graduating high school and getting into a good college. Instead of focusing on your cell phone go join a sport. trust me you will have a lot more fun then sitting at home playing with your phone.
    03-18-09 01:31 PM
    You should of added SOME, but oh well. It all started from me stating my OPINION! then people went with that and ran with it, hopefully no one was running with a sharp object in their hand.
    Good point!
    03-18-09 01:59 PM
    well seriously, some d-bag is going to sit here and cry online some girl wont talk to him on BBM and insult her? Shes a lady show some freaking class and grow up!!!!

Continuing to act like an a-hole shows nothing other than thats exactly the reason why she doenst give out her BBM!!!
    I don't WANT to talk to her...get it through your head. I'm happily married to the most beautiful woman in the world. Now SHE is a lady, and knows how to act like one.
    03-18-09 02:13 PM
    Alright Pckable be proud I PMd him.
    03-18-09 02:18 PM
    LOL at any child that thinks they need a blackberry. I got one because it would make my job easier (with the emails and stuff), I'm 20 and just got an internship with fox sports.
    03-18-09 02:20 PM
    Yeah..CBK, but that phone looks like a Fisher Price baby monitor...lol.
    lol agreed. this person is 14yrs old not 5yrs old.

Get a phone that will accomodate to your needs. (my opinion)
    03-18-09 02:21 PM
    lol agreed. this person is 14yrs old not 5yrs old.

Get a phone that will accomodate to your needs. (my opinion)
    Does the kid really need internet and email at ALL times? I dunno, I just laugh when I see kids with blackberrys and other smart phones. I didn't have a phone at 14 because I didn't even need one!!! You don't drive, come on!
    03-18-09 02:24 PM
    Alright Pckable be proud I PMd him.
    I got this daddy complex, or something! Actually the PMing was CBK's idea. Those of us that have experience on CB, like yourself, need to set the example for newer CBs. Truth be told I was on YOUR side of the argument with him, but we need to keep some stuff off the boards and in PM so we can set a good example.

It's ok to be lighthearted and to joke around with each other as we do in this forum, but we have to draw the line at personal attacks, EVEN when attacked first. Ok I will get off my soapbox now! Back to your regularly scheduled thread, and quite a good debate on the merits, or lack of children having cell phones.
    03-18-09 02:29 PM
    Lol well I have yet to get a response...oh well!

balls what?
    who said that?
    03-18-09 02:40 PM
    I personally don't see the need for someone under the age of 18 having a smartphone. That's just me, if the kid's parents are ok with it, that should suffice. Kids are pretty smart these days... Perhaps too damn smart for their own good, though.
    03-18-09 02:45 PM

my recommendation
    now that is hilarious right there
    03-18-09 02:49 PM
    A friend of mine has a Curve on Sprint without a BB data plan, but unlimited text/data with sprint. She downloaded Opera and it works just fine as long as you are SURE you have unlimited data... the only thing BIS would add is BBM and push email... which you obviously don't need.

As far as NOT getting a BB for a kid... I text my oldest son a lot and TRIED to get him to get a BB, but he wanted a sway instead.

I say: Go for it.
    Last edited by jdoc77; 03-18-09 at 03:01 PM.
    03-18-09 02:56 PM
    For Christmas my 10...yes 10 year old twins each got a pearl. They use it for calls and text only. They hardly ever take it out of the house unless I give them permission!
    Since they recieved them, one of the girls texts my dad quite often and he is thrilled because they "talk" more often.
    Also, in a few months when they do go to middle school, I want them to have a phone in case they are going home with a friend or I am running late to pick them up.
    Do they need Blackberrys? No, but it was my choice what type of phone they got, and I wanted them to have a good quality phone. As their parent...who is willing to pay the $20 extra a month for both phones...It was my choice.
    03-18-09 03:08 PM
    Well, here's why I have a bb, I got it for 40 bucks from a friend who didn't have a use for it. Wouldn't you take a blackberry over a RAZR?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-18-09 03:12 PM
    I got this daddy complex, or something! Actually the PMing was CBK's idea. Those of us that have experience on CB, like yourself, need to set the example for newer CBs. Truth be told I was on YOUR side of the argument with him, but we need to keep some stuff off the boards and in PM so we can set a good example.

It's ok to be lighthearted and to joke around with each other as we do in this forum, but we have to draw the line at personal attacks, EVEN when attacked first. Ok I will get off my soapbox now! Back to your regularly scheduled thread, and quite a good debate on the merits, or lack of children having cell phones.
    Thanks for bringing order to this discussion. It was bad enough that it went off topic, and turned into a debate about kids having BBs. But it didn't stop there.

Kids/young adults come here to ask advice, and we need to try really hard to act like grownups...or quit telling them to "go play".

Good call!
    03-18-09 04:12 PM
148 ... 23456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD