my recommendation

Classic
    Last edited by arch378; 03-17-09 at 10:30 PM.
    03-17-09 10:27 PM

my recommendation
    hahahahahaha!
    03-17-09 10:29 PM
    Well, when I was 14 (only 5 years ago, lol), I had a Clie Palm that literally NEVER left my hand. I didn't have internet on it or anything, but I always used it.

I'm okay with the idea that technology is changing and that 14 yr olds have Blackberries.

I would say though, if you have Wi-Fi at school AND at home, don't get the data plan, especially if you're on ATT, because it's so expensive. I have Wi-Fi all over my campus, but I have a data plan because it's so darn unreliable.
    If it was reliable, I would get rid of the data plan and save me some money!
    03-17-09 11:05 PM
    When I was 14 cell phones came in bags and cost thousands. Needless to say I did not have one.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-17-09 11:45 PM
    14yr old with BB Bold..dam.

I just got my first smartphone, BB Storm 2weeks ago and im 20. And i actually do use it for college,work and the like ,it becomes very useful.

I didnt realize coming out of Elementary School was so advanced.
    03-17-09 11:49 PM
    Also if you don't have the data plan you better make sure you disable any possibility that your bb would use OTA data. If you leave your wifi area and forget to turn off I'm or send an email and it doesn't send right away you'll get charged.

Having a BB without the data package seems like a waste of money. A while back BB was THE smart phone so its always been designed to have data access. If you want a mobile that also plays mp3s then you should buy something else. If you want one that also plays games you want something else. If you want email and web access then you want a BB, it can do everything but its main purpose is Email+Web+Phone. If you aren't looking for that then you should find something different.

03-18-09 02:27 AM
    I would say though, if you have Wi-Fi at school AND at home, don't get the data plan, especially if you're on ATT, because it's so expensive.
    I thought the WiFi couldn't be enabled without the data plan. Also, I believe you have to purchase the BB Data plan if you want to get the discounted pricing.

I looked at one for my wife, but she's not all into the Internet, using apps, etc, so she's getting the Pantech Matrix. $59 and doesn't require a data plan for the discounted price. We've been with AT&T for 15 years and I don't really see us changing so I have no problem with the 2 year commitment.
    03-18-09 06:50 AM
    Honestly, other than the interesting learning curve with a storm, I'd think a kid would have a lot more fun with a storm than a bold.
    03-18-09 06:55 AM
    why would u be required at 14?

just get a regular phone and get the sms package i know with verizon u can get an unlimited txt and mms and then for 5 bucks a month get ur email pushed to it.
    If you don't have the Vcast package with the 5 dollar mobile email, you'll be charged 1.99 per mb usage.
    03-18-09 07:06 AM
    Why does a 14 yr old need a BB? They don't get reg. emails, they don't need to stay intouch with the world that much. The only thing they need is sms and the phone. Seriously?
    03-18-09 07:13 AM
    Why does a 14 yr old need a BB? They don't get reg. emails, they don't need to stay intouch with the world that much. The only thing they need is sms and the phone. Seriously?
    I have to agree with you there. It is a neat device yes but @ 14 years old.
    03-18-09 07:15 AM
    I am 16 yrs. Old with a blackberry curve 8310. I've seen no objectable reason for me me not to have one. I'm starting to want to develope high end themes and develope programs for blackberry. I get regular emails, and use texting everyday. Oh, and I got mine for 40 bucks.

03-18-09 07:20 AM
    I am 16 yrs. Old with a blackberry curve 8310. I've seen no objectable reason for me me not to have one. I'm starting to want to develope high end themes and develope programs for blackberry. I get regular emails, and use texting everyday. Oh, and I got mine for 40 bucks.

i hope you don't email like that and if you want to develope high end themes then how about you jump start that and do it.

i still do not see a reason for someone under the age of 18 to have one of these phones. period point blank.
    03-18-09 07:44 AM
    i hope you don't email like that and if you want to develope high end themes then how about you jump start that and do it.

i still do not see a reason for someone under the age of 18 to have one of these phones. period point blank.
    Who cares? Just cause you didn't have the luxury of having a BB when you were a teenager? Honestly he's not your kid, why do you care what he/his family does with their money.

03-18-09 07:47 AM
    Who cares? Just cause you didn't have the luxury of having a BB when you were a teenager? Honestly he's not your kid, why do you care what he/his family does with their money.

All I did was state my thoughts about it! There was no reason for you to flip your s**t about my opinion! And honey you don't know me and you don't what I had the luxury of having when I was a kid so I suggest you high tail it out of here and hush your little mouth.
    03-18-09 07:52 AM
    I have to agree with you there. It is a neat device yes but @ 14 years old.
    I was thinking the same thing - but - As long as he's paying for the phone and his plan out of his own money, who's to argue?
    03-18-09 07:55 AM
    I was thinking the same thing - but - As long as he's paying for the phone and his plan out of his own money, who's to argue?
    Very true, but seriously to go off about me stating my opinion? really how old are we?
    03-18-09 07:57 AM
    All I did was state my thoughts about it! There was no reason for you to flip your s**t about my opinion! And honey you don't know me and you don't what I had the luxury of having when I was a kid so I suggest you high tail it out of here and hush your little mouth.
    LOL all defensive, why you so sensitive?!?. Get over yourself. You knocked on the kid for accidentally saying me twice. Cause you know, no one, including adults, make gramatical errors. You don't know him, nor what he has, so why are you judging him when you just told me not to judge you? Hmmmm

03-18-09 07:59 AM
    Very true, but seriously to go off about me stating my opinion? really how old are we?
    Who "went off" on your opinions? All I said was it wasn't your place to judge him, not my fault you get defensive over trivial comments. Besides did you not just go off on mine?

03-18-09 08:01 AM
    LOL all defensive, why you so sensitive?!?. Get over yourself. You knocked on the kid for accidentally saying me twice. Cause you know, no one, including adults, make gramatical errors. You don't know him, nor what he has, so why are you judging him when you just told me not to judge you? Hmmmm

Well I was just again stating I hope he doesn't email like that, big deal. I was judging him by saying that and giving my opinion that I think people under 18 really have no big reason for having a BB? And, defensive yes because you don't know me and I don't know him, but I was stating my opinion and you came off rude with your opinion.

It's too early in the morning to be e-fighting about 14 yr olds and bbs.
    We all love our bbs and have our opinions, oh well.
    03-18-09 08:05 AM
    Who "went off" on your opinions? All I said was it wasn't your place to judge him, not my fault you get defensive over trivial comments. Besides did you not just go off on mine?

I wasn't judging him, I was saying that if he emails all the time I hope he doesn't type like that. TOO EARLY FOR THIS!

You have a great morning buddy!
    03-18-09 08:07 AM
    Well I was just again stating I hope he doesn't email like that, big deal. I was judging him by saying that and giving my opinion that I think people under 18 really have no big reason for having a BB? And, defensive yes because you don't know me and I don't know him, but I was stating my opinion and you came off rude with your opinion.

It's too early in the morning to be e-fighting about 14 yr olds and bbs.
    We all love our bbs and have our opinions, oh well.
    It's just a different generation. Personally I don't even think most college students NEED BB, it's definitely a luxury. But some families are just lucky to be able to afford luxury goods, even for their kids. I had kids in my high school that drove BMW 745s. What HS kid needs to drive a $100K+ car? As much as I don't see why they'd need to drive that car, I wouldn't complain if I could drive that car as my daily driver.

Anyways good morning to you too.
    03-18-09 08:19 AM
    It's just a different generation. Personally I don't even think most college students NEED BB, it's definitely a luxury. But some families are just lucky to be able to afford luxury goods, even for their kids. I had kids in my high school that drove BMW 745s. What HS kid needs to drive a $100K+ car? As much as I don't see why they'd need to drive that car, I wouldn't complain if I could drive that car as my daily driver.

Anyways good morning to you too.
    Yes very true, I had kids at my high school that drove hummers to bmws its just nuts because most of these kids end up wrecking them and then their parents just get them a new one. They don't learn to value what has been given to them, but when you pay for it you defiantly value it way more.

Lol I wouldn't call it a good morning..its yucky outside.
    03-18-09 08:26 AM
    I think its pointless for a 14 year old to get a BB without a data plan. Especially a Bold. Thats what makes the blackberry so useful...that data. E-mail, interenet, MMS and the like make blackberry what it is.
    Might as well just get a regular phone. There's a reason why most carriers require people to get a data plan with smartphones

Also what it comes down to is that the kid is comming to US for oppinions, so obviously we are going to say what we think. If the kid doesn't want oppinions, then they shouldn't have asked.
    03-18-09 08:27 AM
    I think its pointless for a 14 year old to get a BB without a data plan. Especially a Bold. Thats what makes the blackberry so useful...that data. E-mail, interenet, MMS and the like make blackberry what it is.
    Might as well just get a regular phone. There's a reason why most carriers require people to get a data plan with smartphones

Also what it comes down to is that the kid is comming to US for oppinions, so obviously we are going to say what we think. If the kid doesn't want oppinions, then they shouldn't have asked.
    Very, very true. Hey do all guys look like you in canada? If thats the case I wanna move there!
    03-18-09 08:29 AM
148 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD