We cant think of it as a gimmick. If others are moving to 1080p then RIM needs to as well on the next devices.
    12-14-12 03:11 PM
    We cant think of it as a gimmick. If others are moving to 1080p then RIM needs to as well on the next devices.
    Do they if they don't go with a much bigger screen size? I can see something closing in on 5"+ possibly needing 1080p to keep a decent PPI, or a 7" or 10" Playbook needing it, but for 5" and smaller I'd say it is simply overkill. Droid DNA is 440 ppi with a 5" screen. You add in different resolutions then you start to introduce fragmentation in display sizes developers must support too. Just because you can do something doesn't mean that you should.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    12-14-12 05:29 PM
    The fact is that RIM needs as many SELLING POINTS as possible
    Apple can get away with not introducing 1080p but RIM can't (or at least has a very slim chance of)
    12-15-12 08:13 AM
    1080p screens are pure gimmick meant to draw in people who generally don't know anything about A/V. I routinely download movies in a very low format for viewing on my Playbook. For example if I have a choice between a SD video at 500MB or a high res BlueRay rip at 720p at 1GB+ I will get the SD video every single time without hesitation. Why? Because on my little 7" screen you can't tell the difference! People are such suckers, seriously.
    Now when we're talking phone screens which are even smaller, you become even more ridiculous for falling for this.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    12-15-12 08:31 AM
    According to THE VERGE
    "We’ve long praised HTC’s own One X as having the best display on any smartphone, but the DNA’s new SLCD 3 panel bests it without much effort. I don’t think there are enough superlatives to describe how good this screen is — it’s really something you just have to see in person to appreciate fully."

Source

So now we know TWO THINGS
    1. 1080p screens DONT drain as much battery as people think
    2. 1080p screens REALLY ARE BETTER

Any other arguements ?????
    12-15-12 10:44 AM
    According to THE VERGE
    "We’ve long praised HTC’s own One X as having the best display on any smartphone, but the DNA’s new SLCD 3 panel bests it without much effort. I don’t think there are enough superlatives to describe how good this screen is — it’s really something you just have to see in person to appreciate fully."

Source

So now we know TWO THINGS
    1. 1080p screens DONT drain as much battery as people think

How are HTC Phone sales trending again and how much money is the phone division making?
    12-15-12 02:51 PM
    According to THE VERGE

Source

I have more respect for the salesman I talked to years ago at BestBuy than this Verge writer. At least the salesman had the honesty to laugh instead of trying to keep a straight face when I eyeballed him askance for claiming you could tell the difference between the 720p and 1080p 40" TV's that we were looking at on display. And we're talking about... 4-5 inches here now right? M-hm, ok Verge
    12-15-12 03:52 PM
    How are HTC Phone sales trending again and how much money is the phone division making?
    Problem with HTC is Marketing n SMALL batteries. Just 2000 mah for 1080p screen whereas it should atleast be 25-2600 mah
    But RIM is not HTC n just cuz something didn't work for HTC doesn't mean it won't for RIM either

As for the difference b/w 720 n 1080p
    "it’s really something you just have to see in person to appreciate fully."

There
    12-16-12 02:07 AM
    If specs are the thing of a war, then bring out London first (if there are two touchscreen models, that is), and let Aristo get the upgrading. OR skip London altogether and build on Aristo (hint hint: take cues from iPhone 3G, 3GS, 4, 4s, 5, etc)
    12-16-12 02:30 AM
    I have a feeling reviews are going to say it's a beautiful display being 440 ppi. Having a 720p screen in 5" or even 4.7" for example, would drop the ppi below 326ppi.

I don't know why people are saying it's not worth it. I'd like to have a 1080p screen on my phone. It would make the image and screen so much more sharper.
    The human eye with 20/20 vision can't see pixels above 286ppi at 12 inches.
    06-17-13 10:20 AM
    The human eye with 20/20 vision can't see pixels above 286ppi at 12 inches.
    You seriously necromanced this thread?

Your agenda is showing...
    But yes, I want a 1080p display on a bigger screened device, even though one might not even see the difference:

From another but similar thread:

I normally wouldn't agree that much with the user Texazzpete, but the point is that 1080p will become a standard soon anyway for displays with 4,5 inches+.

It will happen the moment when display manufacturers can offer them for more or less equal costs compared to what 720p displays cost now.

This happens all the time in the tech industry.
    Easy examples would be full hd TV's. Practically no 720p panels are being produced as of now.

We can also observe this with RAM and HDDs/SSDs.
    The cost per GB diminishes with time, so that one can get the double amount of RAM/HDD/SSD space for the same price in a very short period of time, compared to what it would have cost x amount of time before.

Today I can get 256GB SSD space for the same price of 128GB, 2 years past.

This list could continue endlessly and does not exclude smartphone displays.
    It means that display manufacturers will just stop to manufacturer, or make 720p displays equal in cost to 1080p displays.

This has already been started with the current top of the line Androids.
    They are sold for the same price as their predecessors were introduced last year, but with the S4 octacore, literally doubles the specs.

The move to 1080p has already happened and if BlackBerry wants to offer premium phones with a premium price tag, they will have to adapt these displays anyways for their bigger screened devices.

Therefore, devs will have to code for this resolution anyway in a very forseeable future.

Posted via CB10
    06-17-13 10:48 AM
    Bbry needs to go 1080p. It's a marketing issue because most people are unaware of the situation.

Posted via CB10
    06-17-13 11:20 AM
    Bbry needs to go 1080p. It's a marketing issue because most people are unaware of the situation.

Posted via CB10
    Yep, bs sells.

Posted via that Z-thang
    06-17-13 12:07 PM
63 123