Ha! Of course not. She is in debt up to her ears and still paying on her iPhone. ;o)

Z10 on 10.3.2
    02-21-16 03:06 PM
    Thanks for posting this. I can't be the only person concerned by saturation of Android and ios in the cell phone market. Soon they will be the only options in North America. I just wonder when people will get bored of having the same phone as everyone else and start looking for something different?

Posted via CB10
    This is the main issue, producing unique devices instead of popular ones. When I see Android brands, they look just all the same, it's difficult for me to distinguish HTC from Samsung. IPhones are nice, but running in a "close" environment (just try to download iTunes on a Windows PC and see what happens) that forces you to buy a Mac, an iPad and all the like. Windows phones are the result of the disbanding of Nokia, whose quality products lasted for a decade. BlackBerry phones were practical and easily matching with any other common device. Should they disappear, I hope that something else may rise, with the same easy connectivity and practical functionality.

Posted via CB10
    02-21-16 03:28 PM
    Ha! Of course not. She is in debt up to her ears and still paying on her iPhone. ;o)

Z10 on 10.3.2
    I just wondered because often a 19 year old is not looking for multitasking but much more.
    02-21-16 03:49 PM
    Can this really be right?

Only 2 out of every 1000 smartphone users are using a BlackBerry? And this is BB10 and BBOS combined?

That's just shockingly low. It's definitely not like that in my city (Vancouver).

Posted via CB10
    Don't forget that these are new phone sales, not what people are actually still using. I won't be counted in that because I didn't buy my z30 last quarter. The 'market share' stat can be confusing..

Blackberry Z10 was the beginning. The Z30 is my upgrade
    02-21-16 06:37 PM
    I just wondered because often a 19 year old is not looking for multitasking but much more.
    Besides texting, calling and social media I am not sure. I don't think it makes her more productive at work. If anything it costs me money.

Z10 on 10.3.2
    02-22-16 12:21 AM
    Thanks for posting this. I can't be the only person concerned by saturation of Android and ios in the cell phone market. Soon they will be the only options in North America. I just wonder when people will get bored of having the same phone as everyone else and start looking for something different?

Posted via CB10
    Dunno but I could be the only person concerned by Google's monopolistic position in the smartphone market since 8 out of ten devices have Android as an Operating System.

People overlook this serious problem because Android is highly customizable but nonetheless it's something that should be taken into serious account .

Posted via CB10
    02-22-16 01:24 AM
    You have not read my post carefully.
    It was mostly about contradictions and backwards compatibility, which Priv does not really offer, or else we would not see everyone with a Priv writing that the hub is a disappointment compared to BB10.

I wasn't commenting on whether the decision to go android was good or bad or justified.

All I wrote was that it wasn't done properly, with backwards compatibility, to retain all existing user base. Just like the one from BBOS to BB10 was not done with backward compatibility.
    My understanding is that the same problem was with BES 10, which did not support BBOS devices.
    You keep saying "backwards compatibility" but it sounds like you're asking for the same set of features users have come accustomed to. Yes, they should have built BB10 with all the BBOS features first, then expanded upon it. However, they were in a rush and it seemed like they were more interested in building new features first, then filling in the old functionality. The Z10 was released first, followed by the Q10, which has the familiar keyboard they already knew how to make. The swipe keyboard was developed first, followed by hotkeys for the physical keyboard. The question then, would they have been able to wait until 10.3.x before releasing any new BlackBerry's?

If, however, you're literally asking for backwards compatibility, then you're asking for... five minute boot times, rebooting every time an app is installed, slow web browsing, etc. to be brought along to BB10. For PRIV, it would make no sense to build BB10 on top of Android.
    02-22-16 02:12 AM
    You keep saying "backwards compatibility" but it sounds like you're asking for the same set of features users have come accustomed to. Yes, they should have built BB10 with all the BBOS features first, then expanded upon it.
    Yes.
    02-22-16 06:16 AM
    I do (Passport as personal phone). I will admit however, that I was (& still am) an Apple Newton Messagepad 2100 fan.
    02-22-16 09:13 AM
    Besides texting, calling and social media I am not sure. I don't think it makes her more productive at work. If anything it costs me money.

Z10 on 10.3.2
    Is this a work phone? If so, you get the say on what phone and what it's used for. Personal phones are a different animal. People are looking for the overall experience, not just a couple things, which it my point. We all have different likes and things that are important to us.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    02-22-16 09:25 AM
    Is this a work phone? If so, you get the say on what phone and what it's used for. Personal phones are a different animal. People are looking for the overall experience, not just a couple things, which it my point. We all have different likes and things that are important to us.
    It is her own personal phone. She is an entry level admin assistant for us going to college. My point is that she was initially sold on her device from marketing at a very high cost. (not unlike many younger people) I showed her capabilities not available on her phone / device that cost her considerably more. (yes it's true I don't have Snap Chat) From a sheer communication stand point nothing IMHO comes close to the BlackBerry 10 HUB and I/we manage on average 1500 emails/week.

Interestingly my dad gave our10 year old daughter an older 4s of his last year and she loves it because it is an "iPhone" and from her Papaw. (It does not have a cellular plan as my wife and I do not feel she is ready) When I hand her my Z10 or Z30 to mess around with (games- YouTube, quick research, etc) she prefers it. (kids really like the swiping I have found) She's also familiar with Android as she has a Tab Pro for school related items. It's most interesting to see function over form and intuition in the hands of a kid. Apple and Android do simplify things with a "home" button but personally it drives me nuts being accustomed to BlackBerry 10.

I understand the Android play by BlackBerry to eliminate the "but does it have Snap Chat?" but the OS (Android or iOS) overall is in my opinion not even a comparison. (And yes I realize I am part of a small percentage but that doesn't bother me a bit) ;o)

Z30 wickedness
    TgeekB likes this.
    02-22-16 06:32 PM
    It is her own personal phone. She is an entry level admin assistant for us going to college. My point is that she was initially sold on her device from marketing at a very high cost. (not unlike many younger people) I showed her capabilities not available on her phone / device that cost her considerably more. (yes it's true I don't have Snap Chat) From a sheer communication stand point nothing IMHO comes close to the BlackBerry 10 HUB and I/we manage on average 1500 emails/week.

Interestingly my dad gave our10 year old daughter an older 4s of his last year and she loves it because it is an "iPhone" and from her Papaw. (It does not have a cellular plan as my wife and I do not feel she is ready) When I hand her my Z10 or Z30 to mess around with (games- YouTube, quick research, etc) she prefers it. (kids really like the swiping I have found) She's also familiar with Android as she has a Tab Pro for school related items. It's most interesting to see function over form and intuition in the hands of a kid. Apple and Android do simplify things with a "home" button but personally it drives me nuts being accustomed to BlackBerry 10.

I understand the Android play by BlackBerry to eliminate the "but does it have Snap Chat?" but the OS (Android or iOS) overall is in my opinion not even a comparison. (And yes I realize I am part of a small percentage but that doesn't bother me a bit) ;o)

Z30 wickedness
    I think that's a pretty honest opinion. I find kids will pretty easily adapt to anything that holds their attention, but I can see how swiping could be fun and intuitive for them. It's a shame BB10 didn't get in on the ground floor. No telling where it could be today.
    02-22-16 06:38 PM
    <stares into crystal ball> ... the mists are clearing... You live in North America... I see snow... Canada? Maybe near Toronto...?

How'd I do?

Yes, the figures are a worldwide average, which means there are regional peaks and valleys. BB still have an above-average share in Canada, WinPhone has always done better in Europe.

Neither BB nor MS should be overly buoyed by those (relative) hotspots because the global share is pitiful for both and getting worse.
    maybe because MS or the carriers do not want Windows phone in Canada

This is the main issue, producing unique devices instead of popular ones. When I see Android brands, they look just all the same, it's difficult for me to distinguish HTC from Samsung. IPhones are nice, but running in a "close" environment (just try to download iTunes on a Windows PC and see what happens) that forces you to buy a Mac, an iPad and all the like. Windows phones are the result of the disbanding of Nokia, whose quality products lasted for a decade. BlackBerry phones were practical and easily matching with any other common device. Should they disappear, I hope that something else may rise, with the same easy connectivity and practical functionality.

Posted via CB10
    you seem to say that it is not possible or too hard to do it.
    I never had any problem to get iTunes on my Win 10 computer.
    No need to buy mac works just fine on Win 10 computer
    02-23-16 12:17 PM
    I also run iTunes on two Win 7 computers, never had any difficulty (yet); that's how I load music on my BB Passport, via iTunes & Link sync.
    02-23-16 01:24 PM
    Agree. Zero issues with iTunes on Win 7 and Win 10 machines. Just received an email from HP regarding their upcoming HP Elite x3. Yikes! (very cool)

The newest member....Cobalt Classic
    02-23-16 01:49 PM
    No, there's no conspiracy to deprive Canadians of WinPhone.

Tin foil is not required.

Instead, WinPhone's relative strength in Europe is more to do with Nokia's historically greater market penetration and popularity in Europe. At one time, well over 95% of WinPhones that were sold were Nokia Lumias. Nokia was never as popular in North America, so fewer Lumias were sold, so WinPhone penetration is less.
    Laura Knotek and GadgetTravel like this.
    02-23-16 02:22 PM
    No, there's no conspiracy to deprive Canadians of WinPhone.

Tin foil is not required.

Instead, WinPhone's relative strength in Europe is more to do with Nokia's historically greater market penetration and popularity in Europe. At one time, well over 95% of WinPhones that were sold were Nokia Lumias. Nokia was never as popular in North America, so fewer Lumias were sold, so WinPhone penetration is less.
    I don't know about Europe but many times I received from MS "Hey Alain..Were are offering you an increase of your One Drive by that much". Off course, I go for it just to be told "That isn't available in your country".

How about when one buy 950/xl..Does Canadian and or Europe can have the dock through the Lumia offering or something???? I read it somewhere but I don't remember
    02-23-16 03:44 PM
    ITunes works perfectly fine on Windows.
    02-23-16 04:11 PM

@Alain_A: maybe its'easier to download on Win 10, but I felt it was more difficult on earlier versions, such as 7, I know they have obtained full compatibility with the latest Windows releases, what I wanted to point out was just that it was easier to connect a BlackBerry Device to all the other devices

Posted via CB10
    02-24-16 08:10 AM

I agree, it works fine.... but it is a resource hog on my older laptop.

Fortunately I just uninstalled it as no one uses it on the PC. With three iPads and two iPhones, it just never got used as most everything is now in the cloud.
    02-24-16 08:22 AM
70 123