Why does this use so much RAM???

That is a bit execessive...

Sent from my Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 4
    10-21-13 09:26 PM
    Something wrong with your phone/setup.
    Attached Thumbnails Wtf... RAM usage :-(-uploadfromtaptalk1382409559098.jpg  
    10-21-13 09:39 PM
    Something wrong with your phone/setup.
    Actually use it for a while and then check. It's 15 MB when you first boot up your phone.

Open the app, go through the Tabs and then in and out of settings, back out of it.

It's 33 MB now.

Chat a bit, and the RAM size balloons pretty quickly.

Nice try, but the issue is not my phone or setup (wtf does that even mean, it's a stock phone with stock/Samsung apps - most of which are disabled or uninstalled)...

Just sent one message and backed out. Up to 47MB.

You see where this is going.

RAM size is a bit massive. I've never had an app grow so easily/quickly before. What's up with it?

Memory Leak?

10-21-13 10:06 PM
    Shouldn't this be in the BBM on Android forum? I thought you were talking about the BB10 app.
    10-21-13 10:09 PM
    Sorry my Galaxy S III Signature confused you :-(
    CDM76 likes this.
    10-21-13 10:45 PM
    Cool. I'm sure the BBM team appreciates you paying such close attention. But why is this a problem? Isn't Android such an optimized OS and devices generally so spec'd out (specs! It's all about the specs!) that it should be able to handle the upto 70mb overage in RAM? And if every MB is so important to you, you can always turn off the persistent notification so that the app gets killed if the system needs to do so.
    bradu1, vrud, Mr.mister and 4 others like this.
    10-21-13 11:02 PM
    Not here

And I got busy

Sent from my zipaligned and deodexed own custom ROM on HTC One X
    Mecca EL and CDM76 like this.
    10-21-13 11:05 PM
    Sorry my Galaxy S III Signature confused you :-(
    Might want to check again, you don't have a signature.
    irweezyy likes this.
    10-21-13 11:14 PM
    Might want to check again, you don't have a signature.
    You know what I'm referring to... The line my client adds to all posts from my phone, which is in the OP.

10-21-13 11:28 PM
    Not here

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/22/2ybusuga.jpg

And I got busy

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/22/edypysav.jpg

App before use:

Opened app, went through tabs and into settings, then backed out:

Sent one message, then backed out:

Happens on another phone inches from me, and on another friends phone running ICS. All different brands (Samsung, LG, Motorola). Curious why your RAM is that of a freshly booted process ;-) Its as if you FC the app and took a SS.

Also curious that every other app with a background process on your phone has very low run times while BBM is high. The power of Photoshop is strong within you?

10-21-13 11:35 PM
    It's how I built my Rom bro

Mecca EL likes this.
    10-22-13 12:09 AM
    You built you ROM to constantly kill back ground tasks so your battery least shorter due to them constantly restarting in the background? Cause by that's what happens.

Google Services on auto kill??? Your keyboard? Sell it to someone who's buying, bro...

10-22-13 12:20 AM

On my N4 but 80mb doesn't bother me. I have 2GB total and 1.1 still free on my phone. If it was 800mb than there would be a issue

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    10-22-13 12:32 AM
    Heh?

You built you ROM to constantly kill back ground tasks so your battery least shorter due to them constantly restarting in the background? Cause by that's what happens.

Google Services on auto kill??? Your keyboard? Sell it to someone who's buying, bro...

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk
    10-22-13 12:36 AM
    See above post. Your experience is why all out of the norm. There are other posts popping up in other threads about the RAM usage. Using tricks to debunk it is petty. Some people wanna know why it uses so much. There are still a lot of people with phones that only have 1GB RAM in them, using stock FW. Can't recommend an app to people if it can potentially make their device performance degrade.

The high RAM usage forcing the process to get killed on those devices quickly if the Ongoing Notification is toggled off as well.

10-22-13 12:42 AM
    See above post. Your experience is why all out of the norm. There are other posts popping up in other threads about the RAM usage. Using tricks to debunk it is petty. Some people wanna know why it uses so much. There are still a lot of people with phones that only have 1GB RAM in them, using stock FW. Can't recommend an app to people if it can potentially make their device performance degrade.

The high RAM usage forcing the process to get killed on those devices quickly if the Ongoing Notification is toggled off as well.

Why aren't you complaining about facebook since it uses up the same amount of ram?
    vrud, curvezzz, bounce007 and 1 others like this.
    10-22-13 12:51 AM
    Correct, my one x has 1 GB also, not overly worried as other apps uses same amount of ram. And yes it still flies.

10-22-13 12:58 AM
    Why aren't you complaining about facebook since it uses up the same amount of ram?
    Facebook does a lot more than send text messages. Its does everything BBM does and more. And how do you know I haven't?

10-22-13 01:36 AM
    Correct, my one x has 1 GB also, not overly worried as other apps uses same amount of ram. And yes it still flies.

I'm not telling people to hack their phones. The stock one x fw was plagued with multitasking issues. My mom had one.

It also has more pre allocated ram, so less available for apps to use.

10-22-13 01:38 AM
    Anybody track down the culprit yet? I'm still seeing mixed reviews re: RAM usage in various places, and it's currently a sticking point for a buddy of mine. I'm still waiting for my e-mail, so I have no idea how well it runs on my Nexus S yet.
    10-22-13 03:02 AM
    Is it causing the phone to lag? Or the application to lag or freeze and shut down?

Boredom is mankind's greatest adversity
    10-22-13 06:37 AM
    I've had BBM crash once already

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    10-22-13 12:04 PM
    Happened once too during group join, but impressed with a low maturity app

10-22-13 09:12 PM
    Cool. Good to know in advance before I recommend to my friends.

Boredom is mankind's greatest adversity
    10-22-13 09:17 PM
    Hope you have some luck anyway.
    10-22-13 09:20 PM
83 123 ...