Have them leave BBM idle for 2 days.. no use at all...and then let me know what happens.

Posted with Z10 via CB10
    Been there done that. Still works the same.

Posted via CB10 on my Zed10.
    WWBlondieDo likes this.
    01-26-14 01:47 AM
    Have them leave BBM idle for 2 days.. no use at all...and then let me know what happens.

Posted with Z10 via CB10
    It works no matter what but the difference is the "D" if BBM was closed from the background apps then you won't get a D, but they will receive a message BUT if thry don't have notification and push ON thrn they won't get a notification and they won't know they got a message.

Posted via CB10
    WWBlondieDo likes this.
    01-26-14 03:18 AM

Posted with Z10 via CB10
    Like I said, those who have Push and notifications enabled get my messages but those who don't, do not.

Posted via CB10
    01-26-14 03:20 AM
    Like I said, those who have Push and notifications enabled get my messages but those who don't, do not.

Posted via CB10
    After sometime between 2 and 3 days, the sender (in this case me, on Z10) will get no D notification back until the iOS receiver has physically opened their BBM application... regardless of how their BBM notifications and background settings are configured in iOS.

Those who think it works otherwise have probably not really experienced the iOS user letting BBM stay unopened and unused for 2 to 3 days.

I've confirmed this reaction with no less than 12 iOS users... all with correctly configured settings... all with most recent updates of both iOS and BBM.

Posted with Z10 via CB10
    01-26-14 06:47 AM
    After sometime between 2 and 3 days, the sender (in this case me, on Z10) will get no D notification back until the iOS receiver has physically opened their BBM application... regardless of how their BBM notifications and background settings are configured in iOS.

Those who think it works otherwise have probably not really experienced the iOS user letting BBM stay unopened and unused for 2 to 3 days.

I've confirmed this reaction with no less than 12 iOS users... all with correctly configured settings... all with most recent updates of both iOS and BBM.

Posted with Z10 via CB10
    We all agree with this. The point is, as long as the ios user has push enabled and has configured notifications appropriately (defaults will do) the sender will get the "D" when the app is open and acknowledged it. But the ios recipient *will* get the notification banner / badge icon when the sender sends the message, regardless of whether or not the app is suspended or closed completely. It works...open, closed, 1 day, 2 days whatever....as long as push is enabled.

Disable push or turn off notifications and user must open the app to know they received a msg.

WWBlondieDo likes this.
    01-26-14 02:01 PM
    There are far more problems with BBM on iOS than simply being put into suspend mode.

I have evidence of messages being received and responded to yet never showing delivery notification. I know because I've had running conversations yet messages don't even show the D.

It is a well documented problem on many threads. It is BlackBerry's problem and BlackBerry Needs to fix it...shouldn't have released the app until then.

Posted with Z10 via CB10
    I haven't experienced any of that, but I can't agree that BlackBerry should not have released the app, etc. We are talking about a BBM trademark possibly not working as well on a non BlackBerry phone. WhatsApp hasn't even got that function to begin with. I'm enjoying using BBM as my primary messaging app once again, and look forward to it growing and improving.

Posted via CB10
    01-26-14 05:33 PM
    ....although BBM appears to be down for non BlackBerry completely right now (BlackBerry to iOS / Android)

01-26-14 08:53 PM
    ....although BBM appears to be down for non BlackBerry completely right now (BlackBerry to iOS / Android)
    I have seen this report as well.
    01-27-14 01:46 AM
    We all agree with this. The point is, as long as the ios user has push enabled and has configured notifications appropriately (defaults will do) the sender will get the "D" when the app is open and acknowledged it. But the ios recipient *will* get the notification banner / badge icon when the sender sends the message, regardless of whether or not the app is suspended or closed completely. It works...open, closed, 1 day, 2 days whatever....as long as push is enabled.

Disable push or turn off notifications and user must open the app to know they received a msg.

It true. You probably just haven't used it enough to experience the re liability issues yet.

Posted with Z10 via CB10
    01-27-14 01:48 AM
    Bbm needs some work on iOS and Samsung OS! Lol

But it's new for both those just a couple months.

Soon it will be perfect. To the level whatsapp took 3 yrs to hit bbm will do in half a year. And surpass it since whatsapp still slow and messages get lost still. And not secure.

Q10 ~ 10.2.1.1925
    01-27-14 01:49 AM

I would love to see someone start a thread here with step-by-step instructions (and screenshots) on how to set those parameters properly on iOS 6 and iOS7.

Partly so I can refer all the people who keep complaining about iOS delivery problems to it, partly because I'd like to see if it actually does solve all the iOS delivery issues for everyone who has it configured properly.

If it does get created, a link here would be very appreciated.
    01-27-14 01:51 AM
    I would love to see someone start a thread here with step-by-step instructions (and screenshots) on how to set those parameters properly on iOS 6 and iOS7.

Partly so I can refer all the people who keep complaining about iOS delivery problems to it, partly because I'd like to see if it actually does solve all the iOS delivery issues for everyone who has it configured properly.

If it does get created, a link here would be very appreciated.
    There was a thread diagnosing IOS issues with BBM, we discovered a few things but never got to the bottom of the issue, I will post the link as soon as I remember the thread.

Posted via CB10
    01-27-14 07:27 AM
    It true. You probably just haven't used it enough to experience the re liability issues yet.

Posted with Z10 via CB10
    That's possible...I only have a few iOS / Android BBM users that I communicate with but I have not had issues once they were configured. Granted the Android user had no issues whatsoever, a few of the iOS users did not have notifications configured which is why I looked into it in the first place. People need to actually read what is presented to them when installing stuff
    01-27-14 09:37 AM
    People need to actually read what is presented to them when installing stuff

I only dealt with BBM on iOS once, when I installed it on a friends 4s running iOS 6.

There were no instructions or warnings during the install about making OS or app-level changes to notification or push settings. Which certainly may account in part for why we hear about as many issues as we do on that platform.

However I also have seen accounts from users with very high technical acumen and experience with many other messaging apps on iOS that there are delivery issues with BBM on that platform compared to other competitors.

So personally I'm not prepared to discount the problem reports until I see more than small-sample anecdotal reports of "everything works fine". Most people tend to make inappropriate extrapolations from their limited personal experience, as if everyone else's experience must match theirs precisely.
    01-27-14 11:24 AM
    I only dealt with BBM on iOS once, when I installed it on a friends 4s running iOS 6.

There were no instructions or warnings during the install about making OS or app-level changes to notification or push settings. Which certainly may account in part for why we hear about as many issues as we do on that platform.

However I also have seen accounts from users with very high technical acumen and experience with many other messaging apps on iOS that there are delivery issues with BBM on that platform compared to other competitors.

So personally I'm not prepared to discount the problem reports until I see more than small-sample anecdotal reports of "everything works fine". Most people tend to make inappropriate extrapolations from their limited personal experience, as if everyone else's experience must match theirs precisely.
    Well put... wish I could have said it so well.

Posted with Z10 via CB10
    01-27-14 01:24 PM
    What I meant by "read what is presented to them" is most times when people see the popup about enabling push notifications, they just say no by default without reading. Once they have done that, they have essentially broken it to begin with.
    01-27-14 03:39 PM
    What I meant by "read what is presented to them" is most times when people see the popup about enabling push notifications, they just say no by default without reading. Once they have done that, they have essentially broken it to begin with.

I understood that, which is why I pointed out that I did the install myself on an iPhone and saw no such prompts, and I always pay attention to such things.
    01-27-14 06:49 PM
    I understood that, which is why I pointed out that I did the install myself on an iPhone and saw no such prompts, and I always pay attention to such things.
    I was generalizing....referring to the people I have personally dealt with. Not picking on you specifically

01-27-14 09:53 PM
    I was generalizing....referring to the people I have personally dealt with. Not picking on you specifically
    Yes, I realize that too. As a sysadmin who also supports end-users, I am reminded of that mentality every day, just about.
    NoAhB0Dy likes this.
    01-28-14 03:25 PM
    This^

Posted via CB10
    01-29-14 06:49 PM
    It doesn't matter how settings are configured on iOS. If the app is not open for a while on the iPhone end, the sender will not receive "D" delivery notification until it is opened again...then you get "D" and "R" almost simultaneously.

So...one of the main features of BBM simply doesn?t work on iOS.

Posted with Z10 via CB10
    01-29-14 10:27 PM
    It doesn't matter how settings are configured on iOS. If the app is not open for a while on the iPhone end, the sender will not receive "D" delivery notification until it is opened again...then you get "D" and "R" almost simultaneously.

So...one of the main features of BBM simply doesn?t work on iOS.

Posted with Z10 via CB10
    That is a limitation of iOS. It's unfortunate but out of BlackBerry's hands. The point I maintain, however, is that you can, in my experience, rely on the fact that the user receives a notification and I receive a check. I know that the check means the user's BBM is closed or suspended but I'm also confident they've received the message as I've had no reason to think otherwise.

Thesmartmale likes this.
    01-29-14 10:36 PM
    That is a limitation of iOS. It's unfortunate but out of BlackBerry's hands. The point I maintain, however, is that you can, in my experience, rely on the fact that the user receives a notification and I receive a check. I know that the check means the user's BBM is closed or suspended but I'm also confident they've received the message as I've had no reason to think otherwise.

Agreed...but it's something BlackBerry should have adequately researched before release.

And...they should be broadcasting the facts about iOS limitations.

Posted with Z10 via CB10
    01-29-14 10:39 PM
    Agreed...but it's something BlackBerry should have adequately researched before release.

And...they should be broadcasting the facts about iOS limitations.

Posted with Z10 via CB10
    I can't imagine they were unaware of this limitation but I agree, it should have been made known because it really makes people wonder if it even works. Once you understand the limitations it makes sense but for many they're left wondering.

Thesmartmale likes this.
    01-29-14 10:43 PM
    it's been a couple of months since this thread was touched but I thought I would follow up with something that happened today in a "no platform is perfect" sort of way.

my wife and a friend of hers use iMessage to communicate back and forth and were having a conversation during which my wife said something that she thought offended her friend, after which her friend stopped replying. weeks pass. today we happened to bump into that friend, she and my wife start talking both thought the other was offended - what had happened is my wife's friend had replied to my wife - a message that showed "delivered" by iMessage to my wife's phone, and my wife's phone never received it.

I saw the two phones side by side with the message sent from the one, shown delivered, yet not received by the other. the sent message was definitely a blue-colored iMessage rather than SMS or MMS.

my wife's phone is running iOS 7 rather than 7.1 but aside from that I can't imagine why a message wouldn't actually be delivered when it had been indicated delivered. that gives me a little bit of concern about iMessage.
    04-06-14 04:04 AM
151 ... 4567