To the person that suggested SMS gives delivery receipts....check again. This is only true if you're using the same carrier.

Posted via CB10 on my Zed10.
    01-21-14 12:47 PM
    No one uses text anymore, really it's 2014, if someone uses text here people will laugh at him, text was so before BlackBerrys became famous.

I must say that after reading that nonsense your credibility in general went into the toilet.

People still send billions of text messages every year, all around the world. I don't suppose you've ever heard of Twitter, eh?
    NoAhB0Dy and CerveloJohn like this.
    01-23-14 05:09 AM
    anybody ever had the suspicion that apple does this on purpose? just sayin.

A tempting thought, especially for a BlackBerry partisan, but a user by the name of valeuche here, who I accord much higher credibility on technical matters than most posters here, has posted evidence that tends to refute this.

Basically he has extensive experience with most of the well known messaging apps on iOS and other platforms (ie WhatsApp, Kik, Line, Viber, iMessage, BBM, SnapChat etc) and BBM seems to have intermittent delivery issues that most of the others do not. (At least as of a couple weeks ago)

So I'm more inclined to think BBM needs a bit more work on their cross-platform apps and network to be fully competitive reliability-wise.

That said - one issue that affects iOS that may account for some reports of missed messages is that the app should be configured for background notifications or whatever Apple calls it, or iOS users may not know if a message has arrived if BBM is not currently open. Apparently this is not a default setting and unfortunately the app does not advise users of this during install either.
    01-23-14 05:30 AM
    A tempting thought, especially for a BlackBerry partisan, but a user by the name of valeuche here, who I accord much higher credibility on technical matters than most posters here, has posted evidence that tends to refute this.

Basically he has extensive experience with most of the well known messaging apps on iOS and other platforms (ie WhatsApp, Kik, Line, Viber, iMessage, BBM, SnapChat etc) and BBM seems to have intermittent delivery issues that most of the others do not. (At least as of a couple weeks ago)

So I'm more inclined to think BBM needs a bit more work on their cross-platform apps and network to be fully competitive reliability-wise.

That said - one issue that affects iOS that may account for some reports of missed messages is that the app should be configured for background notifications or whatever Apple calls it, or iOS users may not know if a message has arrived if BBM is not currently open. Apparently this is not a default setting and unfortunately the app does not advise users of this during install either.
    Actually, the background notification is default in iOS, but it appears that iOS can force those notifications to "hibernate" if the app hasn't been used for a while.

I'm finding it hibernates after about 36 hours if the app hasn't been used.

Posted with Z10 via CB10
    01-23-14 06:12 AM
    I must say that after reading that nonsense your credibility in general went into the toilet.

People still send billions of text messages every year, all around the world. I don't suppose you've ever heard of Twitter, eh?
    Thank you for that. Made my day

Posted via CB10 on my Zed10.
    01-23-14 07:58 AM

Well thank you but you're wrong too because that doesn't happen all around the world so please speak for yourself!

What does twitter got to do with this?

Posted via CB10
    01-23-14 09:36 AM
    What does twitter got to do with this?

"Your Honor, I rest my case."
    01-23-14 03:47 PM
    Freaking BBM down again. Full coverage yet don't get delivery notification from folks on the other end that I know should get delivery... cuz I'm talking to them on separate lines.

BlackBerry...you're really losing even the faithful over this cross platform major fail!!!

Posted with Z10 via CB10
    01-24-14 08:11 PM
    "Your Honor, I rest my case."
    I don't understand why Twitter was brought up, either. It's a social network, not a messaging platform - how is it relevant to that person's opinion of SMS usage?

Posted via CB10
    Thesmartmale likes this.
    01-24-14 08:34 PM
    I don't understand why Twitter was brought up, either. It's a social network, not a messaging platform - how is it relevant to that person's opinion of SMS usage?
    I guess it's because twitter functions over the sms/text protocol.
    01-24-14 08:44 PM
    Freaking BBM down again. Full coverage yet don't get delivery notification from folks on the other end that I know should get delivery... cuz I'm talking to them on separate lines.

BlackBerry...you're really losing even the faithful over this cross platform major fail!!!

Posted with Z10 via CB10
    What part of the world are you in? I was just BBM'ing with an iphoney user and she had no issues. Started with no "D" and she got the alert, opened and we conversed. All good.
    01-24-14 08:50 PM
    What part of the world are you in? I was just BBM'ing with an iphoney user and she had no issues. Started with no "D" and she got the alert, opened and we conversed. All good.
    It shouldn't matter what part of the world I'm in...but for the record...US T mobile currently roaming in Asia.

Posted with Z10 via CB10
    01-24-14 10:03 PM
    It shouldn't matter what part of the world I'm in...but for the record...US T mobile currently roaming in Asia.
    Are you on an overseas sex tour?
    01-24-14 10:16 PM
    Are you on an overseas sex tour?
    Uhhhh...no. I'm working... I'm one of the power users that expects BlackBerry to perform reliably... like it did over the many yesteryears I've traveled here.

Sadly, it is no longer the case.

Posted with Z10 via CB10
    01-24-14 11:57 PM
    Like everything else in life with growing pains, BBMX should get better over time. It's only been out for less than 5 months; I'm sure under John Chen's watch, BBM will improve.
    Thesmartmale likes this.
    01-25-14 12:27 AM
    Like everything else in life with growing pains, BBMX should get better over time. It's only been out for less than 5 months; I'm sure under John Chen's watch, BBM will improve.
    That's the kind of thinking... accepting sub par performance... that got us into this mess.

5 months...really?

Posted with Z10 via CB10
    JR A likes this.
    01-25-14 02:05 AM
    That's the kind of thinking... accepting sub par performance... that got us into this mess.

5 months...really?

Posted with Z10 via CB10
    No we just have patience, we didn't say BBM is flawless and bug free, but we can use it now and I know it will get better so we're not complaining.

Posted via CB10
    01-25-14 06:21 AM

Because Twitter was based upon SMS (that's why messages are limited to 140 chars) and people send billions of messages around the world with it, and receive them mostly via SMS.

In a nutshell: just one example why claiming that "no one uses text anymore" is utterly ridiculous. And laughable, actually.
    01-25-14 09:16 AM
    Because Twitter was based upon SMS (that's why messages are limited to 140 chars) and people send billions of messages around the world with it, and receive them mostly via SMS.

In a nutshell: just one example why claiming that "no one uses text anymore" is utterly ridiculous. And laughable, actually.
    Oh, wait let me laugh, seriously don't you have something better to do, 95% of the people in this world don't even know that twitter is based on SMS.

Posted via CB10
    01-25-14 01:01 PM
    Oh, wait let me laugh, seriously don't you have something better to do, 95% of the people in this world don't even know that twitter is based on SMS.

95% of the world does know that you are hilariously wrong that they don't ever use SMS messaging.

On the internet, everyone's an expert.
    01-25-14 01:03 PM
    95% of the world does know that you are hilariously wrong that they don't ever use SMS messaging.

On the internet, everyone's an expert.
    The only wrong thing I said was that I talked about the whole world but I say it now and I will say it again, in this part of the world no one uses SMS, yeah deal with it.

No, that's just what you think.

Posted via CB10
    01-25-14 01:07 PM

I 100% agree that the assertion that "no one uses text anymore" is utterly ridiculous. However, I don't know a single person who sends or receives tweets by SMS - they use the website or the app - so I also question your assertion that most tweets are received via SMS.

Back to the topic at hand:
    I love BBM but have the same problems as everyone else when communicating with iPhone users: if they haven't opened the app recently (and most only have BBM to communicate with me, so it's not opened often) and don't have the notifications enabled correctly, they don't get the messages. This, however, is not BlackBerry's fault - it's a limitation of iOS, as mentioned by multiple people, and something that the average iPhone user doesn't know about. Maybe BlackBerry should include some sort of a message about setting up notifications whenever someone registers/sets up BBM on an iPhone...

Posted via CB10
    Thesmartmale likes this.
    01-25-14 01:11 PM
    I 100% agree that the assertion that "no one uses text anymore" is utterly ridiculous. However, I don't know a single person who sends or receives tweets by SMS - they use the website or the app - so I also question your assertion that most tweets are received via SMS.

Back to the topic at hand:
    I love BBM but have the same problems as everyone else when communicating with iPhone users: if they haven't opened the app recently (and most only have BBM to communicate with me, so it's not opened often) and don't have the notifications enabled correctly, they don't get the messages. This, however, is not BlackBerry's fault - it's a limitation of iOS, as mentioned by multiple people, and something that the average iPhone user doesn't know about. Maybe BlackBerry should include some sort of a message about setting up notifications whenever someone registers/sets up BBM on an iPhone...

Posted via CB10
    It is NOT just a setting in iOS. Even when background notification is set correctly iOS will force close if not used recently.

BlackBerry should have researched this to conclusion before release.

Posted with Z10 via CB10
    01-25-14 02:56 PM
    It is NOT just a setting in iOS. Even when background notification is set correctly iOS will force close if not used recently.

BlackBerry should have researched this to conclusion before release.

Posted with Z10 via CB10
    Then why do my iPhone friends who set up all the notifications and enabled Push get my messages no matter how long it's been since they've opened the app while my friends who haven't set up the notifications and/or enabled Push don't? It makes a difference.

Posted via CB10
    01-25-14 10:20 PM
    Then why do my iPhone friends who set up all the notifications and enabled Push get my messages no matter how long it's been since they've opened the app while my friends who haven't set up the notifications and/or enabled Push don't? It makes a difference.

Posted via CB10
    Have them leave BBM idle for 2 days.. no use at all...and then let me know what happens.

Posted with Z10 via CB10
    01-25-14 11:36 PM
151 ... 34567