From the frying-pan into the fire.
    ...quite possibly. lol

Savvas John Savva, Owner of Skill 7 Limited - www.skill7.org - BBM: 2670CCEA
    01-04-14 02:46 PM
    You obviously don't watch my videos in youtube...
    It's called sarcasm mate! Do it all the time in my videos... but if you haven't seen my videos yet... feel free to go check email out! At: phlypboy
    Effective way to state the obvious!

Posted via CB10
    01-04-14 11:54 PM
    Yeah I tested it every which way I know how between my BlackBerry and mom's iPhone. I can't get it to NOT work instantly.

I know others seem to be having issues though. Hopefully it'll get smoothed out.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.1925
    01-05-14 12:25 AM
    If you say do. I don't have time to hash this out yet again.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    Sorry dude ( or dudette) didn't mean to stress you out by any means, just seems to be a valid reason as all servers and securities are different and handle traffic differently.

And I wish we could all say something and be right.....would save a lot of headaches lol. have a good day.

BlackBerry forever, haters never!
    01-05-14 06:39 PM
    As someone mentioned earlier, your iPhone friends not getting notifications likely didn't go into their phone settings (not within bbm) and enable notifications for BBM. Simple as that I think.

Posted via CB10
    01-05-14 06:44 PM
    As someone mentioned earlier, your iPhone friends not getting notifications likely didn't go into their phone settings (not within bbm) and enable notifications for BBM. Simple as that I think.

Would love to follow-up on this and see if it's true for most.

Weird that BBM would not have enabled that by default, or at least advised the user upon install to consider changing it.
    01-05-14 08:06 PM
    Would love to follow-up on this and see if it's true for most.

Weird that BBM would not have enabled that by default, or at least advised the user upon install to consider changing it.
    I believe it does advise upon downloading. I know the one person who I chat with who had the notification issue just didn't pay attention to it. I then got a message saying, "how come I don't get notified when you message me." At this point is when we figured out that it was not enabled in her phone settings. Once changed, everything was smooth after that.
    01-05-14 08:23 PM
    I believe it does advise upon downloading. I know the one person who I chat with who had the notification issue just didn't pay attention to it. I then got a message saying, "how come I don't get notified when you message me." At this point is when we figured out that it was not enabled in her phone settings. Once changed, everything was smooth after that.

Very interesting. I'm trying to remember if I did that with the one person I setup BBM on their iPhone. I don't recall doing that.
    01-05-14 09:24 PM
    I've enabled the notifications for BBM in two of the IPhones that I have BBMED with. And both of those people still do not receive the notifications if the app has not been active recently.

Posted via CB10
    01-05-14 09:24 PM
    I've enabled the notifications for BBM in two of the IPhones that I have BBMED with. And both of those people still do not receive the notifications if the app has not been active recently.

Posted via CB10
    That's odd. My wife get notifications in her notification Centre even if the app has been closed for hours. Did you mean within the phone settings and not bbm settings?

Posted via CB10
    01-05-14 09:26 PM

Good to know.

Are they on iOS 6?

Because that's not surprising for iOS 6 due to its multitasking / background app limitations.

A lot of that was supposedly addressed in iOS7.
    01-05-14 09:29 PM
    That's odd. My wife get notifications in her notification Centre even if the app has been closed for hours. Did you mean within the phone settings and not bbm settings?

Posted via CB10
    the notifications are pushed by the server to the iPhone, they're not local notifications - the app doesn't do the notification.

The problem I have is that sometimes I will get the notification but then BBM won't actually retrieve the message for a few minutes, even with the app open and this on iOS 7.
    01-05-14 09:31 PM
    the notifications are pushed by the server to the iPhone, they're not local notifications - the app doesn't do the notification.

The problem I have is that sometimes I will get the notification but then BBM won't actually retrieve the message for a few minutes, even with the app open and this on iOS 7.
    Hmm not sure what that could be. In assuming you have the most recent update of the bbm app too.

Posted via CB10
    01-05-14 09:36 PM

I have seen instances of people claiming other IM apps have similiar issues on iOS, though there's at least one person in this thread claiming WhatsApp delivers more reliably.

Hard to get a straight story when it's all 3rd-hand reports...

Hmm not sure what that could be. In assuming you have the most recent update of the bbm app too.

Software flaw? Perish the thought..
    01-05-14 09:44 PM
    I have seen instances of people claiming other IM apps have similiar issues on iOS, though there's at least one person in this thread claiming WhatsApp delivers more reliably.

Hard to get a straight story when it's all 3rd-hand reports...

I use the following messengers:
    Threema
    iMessage
    Wickr
    SafeSlinger
    WhatsApp
    Hangouts
    Viber
    Kik
    Stream (for the messenger)
    Facebook Messenger
    and BBM

The only one that seems to exhibit delivery reliability problems is BBM. Several of those messengers I have used since iOS 6 and haven't seen the BBM style wonkiness.

That said, BBM is usually pretty reliable for me, but it does seem to hitch and stall just when I really need it.
    01-05-14 09:49 PM
    Threema
    iMessage
    Wickr
    SafeSlinger
    WhatsApp
    Hangouts
    Viber
    Kik
    Facebook Messenger
    and BBM

The only one that seems to exhibit delivery reliability problems is BBM. Several of those messengers I have used since iOS 6 and haven't seen the BBM style wonkiness.

That said, BBM is usually pretty reliable for me, but it does seem to hitch and stall just when I really need it.
    I'm sorry? If you have used whatsapp like you say you will find that it does the same thing like BBM does, whatsapp doesn't show two ticks if the IOS friend has his whatsapp closed on the iPhone, I only get a second tick when they open the app and same goes for sound notification.

All this on IOS 7.

Posted via CB10
    01-05-14 10:35 PM
    So it's an ios issue and not BBM?

Posted via CB10
    01-05-14 10:39 PM
    I will never use bbm for ASAP things and I rarely text for something very important I called the person.

I use bbm for chat, having fun and joking with friends, commenting their status updates.

Sent from multiple devices using Tapatalk
    01-05-14 10:40 PM
    So it's an ios issue and not BBM?

Posted via CB10
    TOTALLY! That's why complains on Android are so rare!

Posted via CB10
    01-05-14 10:49 PM
    TOTALLY! That's why complains on Android are so rare!

Posted via CB10
    I'm not sure if that was sarcasm? I was just asking because someone pointed out the same issue with whatsapp.

Posted via CB10
    01-05-14 10:50 PM
    I'm sorry? If you have used whatsapp like you say you will find that it does the same thing like BBM does, whatsapp doesn't show two ticks if the IOS friend has his whatsapp closed on the iPhone, I only get a second tick when they open the app and same goes for sound notification.

All this on IOS 7.

Posted via CB10
    That's not what I am saying BBM does. I am saying that BBM will give me a notification that I have a new message, including the preview of the message, but then when I open BBM itself to view the message that message will not appear for several minutes (sometimes - usually it's fine).

Also, for the record (and I'm not sure if the "like you say you do" was intended to imply that I don't use whatsapp):

Why I don't use BBM: Reliability on BBMX.-whatsapp.jpg
    01-05-14 10:55 PM
    Threema
    iMessage
    Wickr
    SafeSlinger
    WhatsApp
    Hangouts
    Viber
    Kik
    Facebook Messenger
    and BBM

I am saying that BBM will give me a notification that I have a new message, including the preview of the message, but then when I open BBM itself to view the message that message will not appear for several minutes (sometimes - usually it's fine).

Now this is the kind of data that we rarely get here when arguing about performance comparisons. Thanks for that.

Since you have used all those other products, I'm curious how they behave, especially under iOS6, because a lot of people are still running iOS6.

In particular, my understanding is that iOS6 and previous will not assign CPU resources to ANY app after 15 minutes of being IDLE, and even at that, an app has to request specific, special status to get even that.

So I'm curious what happens when sending to such a device, ie after it has gone into sleep mode for an hour - does it notify of a new message in every case, with all those other messaging apps? Among other things, people have said that with BBMX, if the iDevice goes into sleep mode, deliveries (or at least delivery confirmations) stop. And people have posted that they need to make a specific change to support background notifications in iOS.

Perhaps that's a separate matter from recipient message notifications. Especially since it is my understanding that most of the competition has no direct equivalent to the "D" and "R" of BBM.

In regards to iOS7, I just ran across the following setting and I wonder how many people have this disabled - "background refresh":

How To Keep iOS 7 From Sucking Your iPhone�s Battery Dry – Consumerist
    01-06-14 12:52 AM
    Perhaps that's a separate matter from recipient message notifications. Especially since it is my understanding that most of the competition has no direct equivalent to the "D" and "R" of BBM.
    It can be done, Threema for example gives several stages of delivery notification: upload to the server pending, delivered to the server, downloaded to the target device and read on the target device. This works on iOS as well as Android and the delivery seems to be able to occur even when the application has been closed for hours. iMessage can, of course, return read receipts if you turn the feature on ("delivered" and "read" are just like "D" and "R" in BBM).

The "kill the background app" that iOS 6 has was really more for killing misbehaving apps and that was after 10 minutes, not after 15. I believe it was possible to keep worker threads running much longer than 10 minutes but care must be taken when writing them to notify the operating system that they are not deadlocked and are still producing useful work. I looked through the API once before but don't remember the details.

The important thing to note is that the notification system in iOS is NOT a function of the app, it's a function of the operating system. The server pushes a notification down to the phone which can then display it, so all of those apps (really, iOS rather than the apps) will display some kind of "message received" notification no matter how long the phone has been asleep.

So from the user point of view, those messengers all act about the same. Threema won't display a preview of incoming messages because the app itself is not running and thus the cryptographic engine is not available to decrypt the incoming push message - the server only pushes "you have a new message" because of that. Messengers on iOS that can display a preview of the message must have had the messages decrypted by the server before they were even transmitted.

I'll have to take the time to walk through and demonstrate the various messenger apps on video sometime - but really they all act about the same. Yes, on whatsapp the second checkmark simply means that the message was delivered to the target device, not actually viewed, but Kik acts exactly like BBM, even on iOS, in that I get S, D and R icons for sent, delivered and read.

Functionally it's approximately an even playing field. The problem is in the sporadic performance of BBM on iOS. None of the other messengers seem to have the random delays in actually retrieving an incoming message that BBM has and it is so infrequent for me that I've not been able to catch it on video. It will go weeks without happening and then happen a couple times in a day.
    gnirkatto likes this.
    01-06-14 01:26 AM
    I'm not sure if that was sarcasm? I was just asking because someone pointed out the same issue with whatsapp.

Posted via CB10
    It's not sarcasm, why would you think I'm being sarcastic? It's true and you can try it on any iPhone.

Posted via CB10
    01-06-14 06:10 AM
    That's not what I am saying BBM does. I am saying that BBM will give me a notification that I have a new message, including the preview of the message, but then when I open BBM itself to view the message that message will not appear for several minutes (sometimes - usually it's fine).

Also, for the record (and I'm not sure if the "like you say you do" was intended to imply that I don't use whatsapp):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	whatsapp.jpg 
Views:	1096 
Size:	174.0 KB 
ID:	236379
    That could be a BBM problem, because I get the message when I get a notification.

No, I wasn't trying to imply that you don't use whatsapp.

Posted via CB10
    01-06-14 06:13 AM
151 1234 ...