Somehow I convinced a lot of my friends and family to download BBM on their IPhones. I created a group for my family to share a calendar and a group for my friends to share photos and whatever else. My wife installed it on her iPhone and we use it fairly often. I have also made sure her phone is set to refresh the app and all the settings are correct.

However, none of my family or friends get notified when i send them messages, my friend group and my family group are dead. Even if I want to text my wife something that needs an ASAP response I won't use BBM. Wyy? It os F-ing unreliable!!!

I live in the US everyone with a phone plan worth it's salt has unlimited texting, why would I need BBM if it is unreliable and texting is free?

I don't care about the emoticons or the video, or the channels or anything else. The bottom line is if you need a message to be delivered and it is of utmost importance you will use text over BBM all the time. (unless it is BlackBerry to BlackBerry)

BBM is dead in the USA unless they get the reliability fixed, but even then it won't take off..why? Because texting does the same thing and uses no data!!! Data.. something that you don't have an unlimited amount of with any plan.

The only messaging service that gets traction in the US is imessage because the IPhones default use it when messaging back and forth, some people don't even realize that they are using it because it is seamless.

The catalyst for this rant was when one of my friends replied to a BBM I sent a week ago "just text me, this seems antiquated "

Don't reply to this thread with any comments about higher security.. reliability trumps conspiracy theory every time.

Thanks for letting me rant.

Posted via CB10
    anon(4044683) and ekv like this.
    01-02-14 12:42 AM
    I got some people to download it too. Those that have kept their app up to date have no problems (though in the last 24 hours, there has been a lag in sending of messages, or just seeing the checkmark and no D or R).

It could definitely be more reliable, sometimes even before last night I'd just get the checkmark and that would be it.. the person would never get my message. It needs to be more reliable before they bother with any new features. It needs to work as well as BlackBerry to BlackBerry does ALL THE TIME.

Most people I know have unlimited data plans, so the texting/data issue doesn't matter. There's nothing antiquated about BBM itself, and if it worked for iOS and Android as well as it does on BlackBerrys, it would be pretty perfect. I'd rather BBM someone than text them. It's different for everyone and even between friends, I "chat" more with some than others. Yeah, you can send a bunch of texts and the same chat can occur, but to me, texting is antiquated.
    hamza817 likes this.
    01-02-14 01:12 AM
    Blackberry really needed to get THIS, at least THIS, right.
    sakin13 and bobauckland like this.
    01-02-14 01:14 AM
    Expanded your title to better reflect your issue and that this wasn't just another downer post. There have been some hiccups, but overall, cross platform I've had very few issues with the app. I know some have, and this is something I've been seeing lots of updates on. Sorry it's been problematic for you, the frustration is understandable.
    notafanboy likes this.
    01-02-14 01:17 AM
    There have been a few issues, but they have been relatively minor. I/we are now using BBM for our household (SWMBO & I) and another BBM group that includes our kids and their spouses. Both groups are cross platform.

We recently had an issue with some iPhone users. The early adopters (which did have the latest version installed) weren't seeing chat messages from some of the latest adoptees. I was able to fix this by deleting the member having the problem and re-adding them to the group. Not ideal, but it did work, so you might give it a whirl.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by niss63; 01-02-14 at 03:49 AM.
    SK122387 likes this.
    01-02-14 02:07 AM
    Jay,

In respect to iPhones in particular, if people are using iOS 6, there are issues with the way multitasking works (or doesn't work) on iOS 6 that make delivery unreliable at times, especially when the device goes to sleep.

(iOS 6 does not allow background processes to communicate longer than I believe 5-15 minutes after last receiving user interaction, so if the person sets the phone down and that time period elapses it may stop delivering "D" notifications or the message itself until the device is woken up and the app put in the foreground)

Apparently this is an issue for various IM apps on iOS 6, not just BBM.

iOS 7 is supposed to be improved in that respect, though I don't know how much of that might help with BBM message/confirmation delivery.
    01-02-14 02:45 AM
    I totally agree with OP. BBM on iPhone/Andorid doesn't provide the same experience as on BlackBerry devices. My case is exactly like OP's.. I literally begged my entire family to get on BBM and my wife too.. made a family group but after ONE day, they deleted the group and went back to whatsapp! As Mr.Chen said, BBM will become bigger and bigger as the time ticks however. if they move at this pace, I doubt and it will just shrink everyday
    01-02-14 03:03 AM
    I'm experiencing exactly the same as the OP with my iOS BBM friends that I convinced to install BBM. Sometimes, we

Don't get messages at all.
    Don't get information that messages have arrived.
    Don't send back Ds or Rs once they read a message.
    Get information that there are 10 new messages if there is only one.
    Lose images and chats from groups.
    Lose entire groups with no chance to restore them.

And these issues are not "relatively minor" for a messaging tool that wants to reestablish a leading position.

Most of my friends gave up on BBM already and went back to WhatsApp.

Posted via CB10
    01-02-14 03:42 AM
    that's why it has to be though.. the experience of using BBM will never be the same if you don't use a proper BB phone. I repeat, a PROPER BB phone.

but i'll never stop convincing people to use BBM, sometimes i even ignore my friends who send me whatsapp messages, forcing them to find me on BBM, and that works!
    01-02-14 03:54 AM
    Why use BBM when you can text?
    BBM is INSTANT Message. Like the moment you send a message the other person receives it right away!!! You don't want that!!! Who wants that fast crap!!!
    You want text messages! Where sometimes it takes a couple of minutes, hours or even never goes through! That's what you want! The unreliable stuff!!!
    BBM uses data! Like 1000 msgs is like 1MB!!!! That's toooo much! People usually have 1 gb (1024 mb)... you can't afford using 1 mb of your 1 gig.... that's too much!!!!
    Text message is where it's at!!!
    BBM uses pin. That's so lame!!! Scanning each others bar codes to add as a contact!
    People rather just type in actual numbers the old fashion way!
    I rather give a stranger my phone number so that he can track me down later in if ever he loses my number, but with pins.... pins don't disclose any personal things.... it's sooooo secure! No one wants security! Everyone like to get frauded once and a while!
    LOLLLLLLLLLLLL

Posted via CB10
    Akirokawa and wincyUt like this.
    01-02-14 03:54 AM
    Its been having reliability issues since the cross platform release. Has nothing to do with iOS as the same issues happen on Android which has none of the iOS platform "issues" IRT multitasking.

Thread for issues: http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=862920

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    01-04-14 03:48 AM
    Why use BBM when you can text?
    BBM is INSTANT Message. Like the moment you send a message the other person receives it right away!!! You don't want that!!! Who wants that fast crap!!!
    You want text messages! Where sometimes it takes a couple of minutes, hours or even never goes through! That's what you want! The unreliable stuff!!!
    BBM uses data! Like 1000 msgs is like 1MB!!!! That's toooo much! People usually have 1 gb (1024 mb)... you can't afford using 1 mb of your 1 gig.... that's too much!!!!
    Text message is where it's at!!!
    BBM uses pin. That's so lame!!! Scanning each others bar codes to add as a contact!
    People rather just type in actual numbers the old fashion way!
    I rather give a stranger my phone number so that he can track me down later in if ever he loses my number, but with pins.... pins don't disclose any personal things.... it's sooooo secure! No one wants security! Everyone like to get frauded once and a while!
    LOLLLLLLLLLLLL

Posted via CB10
    Im not even sure what your problem is. People are reporting issues and you're patronizing them...

bobauckland likes this.
    01-04-14 03:51 AM
    Its been having reliability issues since the cross platform release. Has nothing to do with iOS as the same issues happen on Android which has none of the iOS platform "issues" IRT multitasking.

Thread for issues: http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=862920

Please don't argue on this, IOS has something to do with BBM reliability and that's been proven so many times.

Now BBM on Android is perfect, as long as you have the notification icon turned on, never missed a message.

Posted via CB10
    Kewltalon likes this.
    01-04-14 06:13 AM
    Please don't argue on this, IOS has something to do with BBM reliability and that's been proven so many times.

Now BBM on Android is perfect, as long as you have the notification icon turned on, never missed a message.

Posted via CB10
    If you say so.

BBM reliability issues are back end. A BlackBerry employee confirmed this in the other thread.

Please don't argue about this. Revisit that thread.

Thank you!

bobauckland likes this.
    01-04-14 06:16 AM
    If you say so.

BBM reliability issues are back end. A BlackBerry employee confirmed this in the other thread.

The comment I am aware of was over a month ago, and it never suggested "all reliability issues are back end".

Oh, and as far as "back end problems", nothing could possibly have improved since then.
    01-04-14 07:29 AM
    I've noticed delays only with iOS users. I'm not sure why this is. Android users seem to be just fine. Reliability, to me, was New Years when my BBM contacts all got my Happy New Year message and replied back and all my text contacts either got nothing for many hours or received 10 of the same message while I got a delivery failed notice.

Posted via CB10
    01-04-14 07:53 AM
    I had twelve groups set up on my BBM ...I've now deleted eleven of them. I use my phone for business as-well-as pleasure but BBM is so unreliable it made my business dealings look woeful. I've transferred all my groups over to WhatsApp, (adding contacts who didn't have BBM), and downloaded SMSByNow and copied all my groups on there too. Reliability is now not an issue with customers commenting on how brilliant it is to receive messages and notifications on time!

I'll keep BBM ...but only to notify friends and family, (those who still have BBM, that is), of my current status and/or whereabouts.

Savvas John Savva, Owner of Skill 7 Limited - www.skill7.org - BBM: 2670CCEA
    01-04-14 08:06 AM
    I've transferred all my groups over to WhatsApp...

From the frying-pan into the fire.
    01-04-14 08:15 AM
    I've noticed delays only with iOS users. I'm not sure why this is. Android users seem to be just fine. Reliability, to me, was New Years when my BBM contacts all got my Happy New Year message and replied back and all my text contacts either got nothing for many hours or received 10 of the same message while I got a delivery failed notice.

Posted via CB10
    This is because of how IOS works!

Posted via CB10
    01-04-14 08:15 AM
    Did they enable push for the BBM app?

Posted via CB10
    01-04-14 08:24 AM
    If you say so.

Please don't argue about this. Revisit that thread.

Thank you!

Well my friend who is a friend of this person....... guess you missed the message of this does not help the posts, if you do not have a CREDITABLE resource as to what is causing the issue you are then speculating with a negative response. We have no way of knowing who is a blackberry employee posting on here or not, as they are sworn to a level of security they can not post their badge numbers and or management we could call to confirm.

Going through the forums we can obviously see the problem is more with ios users and not android. Because people switching off of ios to other platforms have problems with Imessage holding their texts than MAYBE ( a suggestion not a fact from an apple employee) the problem lies with apples messaging servers themselves. Please do not be so quick to blame a back end service that has been delivering messages reliably to Bbm users for years, long before any of these other messaging companies came along.

BlackBerry forever, haters never!
    01-04-14 08:31 AM
    I think that this is the problem that my friends and family are experiencing. The problem is that without any sort of notification they have no reason to open the BBM app. So messages just sit in space forever until they do open the app. Usually when i text them to check BBM.

Posted via CB10
    01-04-14 11:37 AM
    Did you read the message? I'm having reliability issues with me BBM. Where text massaging is reliable despite the three second delay.

Posted via CB10
    01-04-14 11:51 AM
    Did you read the message? I'm having reliability issues with me BBM. Where text massaging is reliable despite the three second delay.

Posted via CB10
    Was supposed to be a reply with quote... oops

Posted via CB10
    01-04-14 11:54 AM
    Well my friend who is a friend of this person....... guess you missed the message of this does not help the posts, if you do not have a CREDITABLE resource as to what is causing the issue you are then speculating with a negative response. We have no way of knowing who is a blackberry employee posting on here or not, as they are sworn to a level of security they can not post their badge numbers and or management we could call to confirm.

Going through the forums we can obviously see the problem is more with ios users and not android. Because people switching off of ios to other platforms have problems with Imessage holding their texts than MAYBE ( a suggestion not a fact from an apple employee) the problem lies with apples messaging servers themselves. Please do not be so quick to blame a back end service that has been delivering messages reliably to Bbm users for years, long before any of these other messaging companies came along.

BlackBerry forever, haters never!
    If you say do. I don't have time to hash this out yet again.

01-04-14 02:17 PM
151 123 ...