When I upload my display pic, although it is a very high resolution picture, BBM displays it with potato quality.

Same goes for all my contacts.

What gives?
    Quacket likes this.
    11-03-13 02:41 PM
    BlackBerry compresses file size to alleviate their servers. This reduces file size for your profile pics, and also quality. Same for the initial send of pics to contacts (unless you request HQ), and also why their file transfer limit is only 6mb.

Hopefully this will change soon.

Posted via CB10
    11-03-13 02:51 PM
    Yeah... I or We do understand the reason why BlackBerry reduce the quality of the pictures sent... but BlackBerry also needs to know that whatsapp can send files as big as 12 or 24MB

Posted via CB10
    11-03-13 10:02 PM
    BlackBerry compresses file size to alleviate their servers. This reduces file size for your profile pics, and also quality. Same for the initial send of pics to contacts (unless you request HQ), and also why their file transfer limit is only 6mb.

Hopefully this will change soon.

Posted via CB10
    It is not just to lessen the strain on their servers: it's to cut down the amount of data that you're sharing with your own contacts. If you had a 10mb profile picture - then every time your contact would want to chat with you, you'd stuff 10mb down their throats.

Here's a trick: When sharing pictures over BBM the first share will usually be low-resolution. Your recipient can then choose "request higher resolution" and your own BBM will fetch and deliver the higher quality image. But to be fair - it is by request only. If your BBM contact is not on WiFi or somewhere high-speed or free - it's a good idea to keep the data rates down.
    11-03-13 10:07 PM
    When I upload my display pic, although it is a very high resolution picture, BBM displays it with potato quality.

Same goes for all my contacts.

What gives?
    Lol... potato quality!!! rofl

Posted via the awesome keyboard on Z10STL100-1/10.2.0.1791 using CB10 App
    11-03-13 11:08 PM