Just got the new update of BBM, like the new feature of picture posting during multiple person chat. To me, group chat is far more important, why can't BBM have similar feature of allowing in-chat picture posting?

Posted via CB10
    nah.uhh likes this.
    04-01-14 09:17 PM
    You have to post the picture in the pictures section , you can't post a pic in the conversation in groups.
    And you can put pics in a BBM convo
    04-01-14 09:23 PM
    Just got the new update of BBM, like the new feature of picture posting during multiple person chat. To me, group chat is far more important, why can't BBM have similar feature of allowing in-chat picture posting?

Posted via CB10
    Agreed. While upgrading I was under the impression that this would be finally available for group chats as well but I was disappointed to see it wasn't. Who honestly creates a multi-person chat versus a group chat? Why is this redundant feature even around?
    04-01-14 10:01 PM
    Amen! I hate that limitation about BBM. Makes no sense. Put in a damn thumbnail, how hard is it?!?

Posted via CB10
    04-01-14 10:07 PM
    Yep. I'm now going to have to make a "multi person chat" with all the members of my group rather than use the actual group chat. Once again, on a BlackBerry product, you have to find a workaround to do something that is so common it's simply expected.

And even better, the people on other platforms that you've managed to talk into switching? Now you get to try to explain to them why something so simple is so hard for BlackBerry to implement.

I'm running out of answers (read: excuses) for when they ask, "Why don't we just use WhatsApp again?".

Posted via CB10
    nah.uhh, VR6 and newcollector like this.
    04-01-14 10:56 PM
    I'm running out of answers (read: excuses) for when they ask, "Why don't we just use WhatsApp again?".
    Ugh. That dreaded question...

On a slightly related note, are multi-person chats any different than group chats for the pure chatting component? For example, does it still not tell you if specific people have read the message? I can't really test this out myself at the moment.
    04-01-14 11:03 PM
    They are prioritizing. My bet is they probably are working on this kind of functionality but they still have bugs in it that dont allow them to bring it out so it will be as bug free as possible. In this case they are bringing features that will probably start to bring in some money. it was very interesting to learn that Whatsapp although a decent chat program makes absolutely no money. They dont believe in advertising. Thats great at some point someone has to say show me the money. So facebook basically paid 19billion for something that brings in not one dime. Does that seem business savvy to you? Blackberry finally has stickers and some advertising coming online. This is going to bring in revenue. How much revenue we are not sure. So yes priorities are being used to bring things to BBM. It might not be popular to bring out features that right now seem not very smart. They are bringing out features that can A) potentially can bring revenue b) work well in the enterprise c) can be adapted to all OS platforms without issue. So thats the reason that perhaps some of this other functionality isnt there already. In time it will come. So far in the past year how many major updates has BBM seen? I can think of at least 3 or 4. Thats a ton of work and they are still pushing for more. You will never satisfy everyone. You can try to satisfy the majority and currently that is what they are looking to do. So yes the group chat functiion is still lacking but in time im sure that will see some big improvements as well. What else is there?
    What about desktop versions, Video for all platforms. Headless apps for all platforms and the list goes on and on. Yes there is a sense of urgency and im sure everyone in development knows they need to do it quickly and get it right.
    04-01-14 11:10 PM
    Snip
    I have no problem with them prioritizing the monetization of the product. Makes perfect sense. They have been very good about pushing updates, and I didn't see anyone in this thread complain about the addition of paid sticker packs. But they added this functionality to multi-person chats, and what is a group chat if not a multi-person chat? I can send a text message to a group of people and the phone will automatically switch to MMS mode and show it as a thumbnail in the chat thread. Seriously text messaging does that. That's like sending a pic via smoke signal, and yet it works the way people expect.

This is really less about stickers and channels and even video chat or any of that. I think this was a great and timely update with the file size restrictions being lifted alone. It's the fact that they added this functionality to multi person chats, except that they really didn't, because the multi person chats that really matter to people, those in BBM Groups, are still overlooked.

Posted via CB10
    04-01-14 11:44 PM
    Personally I much prefer how group chats handle pictures now.

You can comment on the pictures as an independent function, and it is easy to access the complete repository of pictures posted throughout the history of the group. To me it is very clean and organised.

Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.2947

Posted via CB10
    04-01-14 11:49 PM

You can comment on the pictures as an independent function, and it is easy to access the complete repository of pictures posted throughout the history of the group. To me it is very clean and organised.

Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.2947

Posted via CB10
    It is a great option to have, but when you have a picture that pertains to the conversation you're in during the chat, it can be jarring to have to move the conversation to the picture comments, then resume it again back in main chat.

Posted via CB10
    04-01-14 11:54 PM

Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.2947

Posted via CB10
    Yes. This is correct. But that doesn't mean that the ops suggestion shouldn't be implemented AS WELL.
    I Would NOT like to see what you posted change. What I WOULD like, is the ability to post the picture without leaving the chat. The only difference would be: when you post a picture from within the chat if would notify the group members via a thumbnail on the chat. Clicking the thumbnail within the chat would bring you to the picture where you can comment etc. Of course, going to the picture section of the group would still allow you to comment on the picture etc.

In a nutshell
    This feature should be implemented "in addition to" the default, not "instead of"

BUT
    Bb10 groups need to bring back a feature from bb7 groups - the option to automatically save group pictures locally (all/favorites).

Currently groups only hold 80 photos... wth... how does that make any sense.. there should be no limit.. channels clearly has no limit.. and the pictures shouldn't be deleted until an administrator removes them or deletes /disbands the group.
    SamirSaxena likes this.
    04-02-14 12:48 AM
    I'd be okay with it if the photos added to the chat thread didn't go to the photos section automatically. If the pic needs its own thread, put it in the picture folder. If not, don't, and it'll disappear eventually, no big deal. But the option to do both should be there.

I'm also okay with the picture limit. Sure, it sucks, but BlackBerry is storing all that info. If you reformat the phone, when you rejoin the group, the pictures are back. In fact, I'd probably support them if they kept the current limit, then added the ability to pay to add more. Cloud storage isn't free, so I don't expect BlackBerry to give it away either. But if that were to happen, I'd hope to see the addition of other files, stored in a cloud, accessible by contacts of your choosing, using BBM.

Posted via CB10
    04-02-14 01:14 AM

Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.2947

Posted via CB10
    True but let's have it both ways. Put the notifications inline!

Posted via CB10
    04-02-14 03:42 AM
    I'd be okay with it if the photos added to the chat thread didn't go to the photos section automatically. If the pic needs its own thread, put it in the picture folder. If not, don't, and it'll disappear eventually, no big deal. But the option to do both should be there.

I'm also okay with the picture limit. Sure, it sucks, but BlackBerry is storing all that info. If you reformat the phone, when you rejoin the group, the pictures are back. In fact, I'd probably support them if they kept the current limit, then added the ability to pay to add more. Cloud storage isn't free, so I don't expect BlackBerry to give it away either. But if that were to happen, I'd hope to see the addition of other files, stored in a cloud, accessible by contacts of your choosing, using BBM.

Posted via CB10
    Basically this ^. I think people would at least understand that there are two different ways of sharing photos and they serve different purposes.
    04-02-14 10:14 AM
    It is a great option to have, but when you have a picture that pertains to the conversation you're in during the chat, it can be jarring to have to move the conversation to the picture comments, then resume it again back in main chat.

Posted via CB10
    ^^^^ Amen. This is the sole reason my main whatsapp groups tried bbm group chat and went right back. And the painful truth is that I agree, it's been said many times, whatsapp group chats are better for this seemingly basic function

Posted via CB10
    04-02-14 04:58 PM
    Seriously, I thought it was for groups. But post update, when I didn't see it happening and digged into it to realise it was for multi person chats. I really wanted this feature to come in groups.

All those people who I had migrated to BBM groups from whatsapp shifted back to whatsapp for this reason. And now I have some dead groups lying in my BBM.

Posted via CB10
    04-03-14 11:41 PM
    On second thoughts, I like it how pictures are currently handled in groups.. there are pros of having pictures in an entirely different section, with comments for every picture at one single place..

May be BlackBerry can improve on ease of access. Like go to pictures from the chat Window itself, rather than going back to the group and then going to pictures.

Posted via CB10
    04-03-14 11:55 PM
    Bang on.. I concur with everything you said. My thought exactly..

Posted via CB10
    04-04-14 12:04 AM
    Yes. This is correct. But that doesn't mean that the ops suggestion shouldn't be implemented AS WELL.
    I Would NOT like to see what you posted change. What I WOULD like, is the ability to post the picture without leaving the chat. The only difference would be: when you post a picture from within the chat if would notify the group members via a thumbnail on the chat. Clicking the thumbnail within the chat would bring you to the picture where you can comment etc. Of course, going to the picture section of the group would still allow you to comment on the picture etc.

In a nutshell
    This feature should be implemented "in addition to" the default, not "instead of"

BUT
    Bb10 groups need to bring back a feature from bb7 groups - the option to automatically save group pictures locally (all/favorites).

Currently groups only hold 80 photos... wth... how does that make any sense.. there should be no limit.. channels clearly has no limit.. and the pictures shouldn't be deleted until an administrator removes them or deletes /disbands the group.
    This! And please add the "unread notification" thread seperator for new messages. How hard is that? BBM group chat mute on iOS and android too!.

Posted via CB10
    04-04-14 01:27 AM