QNX has many years of experience working with high definition and 3-Dimensional (HD-3D) audio. Its latest CAR 2.0 Platform on a Bentley GT contains a video conferencing system with 7kHz audio. QNX has leveraged its experience in audio when creating BBM Video Chat.

Skype Provides Only Mono Audio; Audio on Facetime Described As �Garbled�

When using Skype, if two people talk at the same time, they cancel each other out and a nasty echo is created. In addition, Skype�s audio is mono. In fact, readers have probably noticed that from the poor quality of the audio.

Similarly, the Apple Support Communities indicate that while users like the video quality of Facetime, they find that the audio is horrible. In fact, the word �garbled� is what Apple users often use to describe Facetime audio in the thread.

BBM Video Provides Stereo and Wide-Band Audio

In contrast, BBM Video provides users with stereo and wide-band audio. I have tested having two people talk at the same time, and you can hear both people perfectly well. In fact, the audio sounds very much like you are talking in person. This is unlike Skype, in which two people talking at the same time results in them cancelling each other out and creating a nasty echo.
    Why BBM Video Chat is Better than Skype and Apple's Facetime | The Gadget Masters
    Dapper37, loc5, Jince and 12 others like this.
    02-13-13 12:07 AM
    I hate to say it, but "duh."

Few people I know will say Skype is the best quality videochat client out there. That isn't its strength. That's like inferring that Instagram has the best filters. It doesn't.

Skype's strength is not really the quality of is product.
    Last edited by trelawrence; 02-13-13 at 07:26 AM. Reason: spelling and punctuation.
    02-13-13 12:15 AM
    I hate to say it, but "duh."

Few people I know will say Skype is the best quality videochat client out there. That isn't it's strength. That's like inferring that Instagram has he best filters. It doesn't.

Skype's strength is not really the quality of is product.
    What's your point, that your just disappointed people are discovering BBM video is quality? Duh.
    02-13-13 12:48 AM
    What's your point, that your just disappointed people are discovering BBM video is quality? Duh.
    Wow.

My point was that Skype has one thing going for it (IMHO): numbers. BBM Chat is one of the most robust clients out there. I even think ooVoo has better stream quality than Skype.

The writer quoted above is saying stuff that was clear to anyone watching the keynote: BBM video is fantastic.

No one is attacking RIM. Calm down. Don't look for arguments where none exist.
    02-13-13 01:01 AM
    That article is pretty poor. Why does mono equal "poor quality"? If the audio source is a just single person speaking, why would stereo even be necessary? And his evidence against Facetime? He looked in the Apple support forums, and surprise surprise, he found people reporting problems. In the SUPPORT FORUM. BBM may well be technically superior but you cannot tell based on anything presented at that link, because it contains essentially zero information.
    02-13-13 01:03 AM
    100% agree with article
    02-13-13 01:07 AM
    That article is pretty poor. Why does mono equal "poor quality"? If the audio source is a just single person speaking, why would stereo even be necessary? And his evidence against Facetime? He looked in the Apple support forums, and surprise surprise, he found people reporting problems. In the SUPPORT FORUM. BBM may well be technically superior but you cannot tell based on anything presented at that link, because it contains essentially zero information.
    I concede that it could be a bit more scientific in nature. Maybe someone will do an in-depth comparison.
    02-13-13 01:14 AM
    I just had a video call on my playbook with my friend who was on his z10 and it felt like we were in the same room speaking face to face. Such an incredible experience. I can't wait to see my Video Chat and BBM list get longer over time.
    Jince, bquinney, zyben and 1 others like this.
    02-13-13 01:17 AM
    I just had a video call on my playbook with my friend who was on his z10 and it felt like we were in the same room speaking face to face. Such an incredible experience. I can't wait to see my Video Chat and BBM list get longer over time.
    About time BBRY expanded on the possibilities of BBM.

How does it do over data (3G)?
    02-13-13 01:19 AM
    Pretty good actually, I used it while driving (audio call) and it was cristal clear.

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-13-13 02:02 AM
    Doesn't mean anything IMO, it's how well they market it that will determine their success.
    02-13-13 02:07 AM
    Doesn't mean anything IMO, it's how well they market it.
    Not really, we are talking about "better" as in better user experience not a better market share. If it works better for a user marketing has nothing to with it. Doesn't matter how many have it, it is the one-on-one experience that is better.
    zyben likes this.
    02-13-13 02:08 AM
    Not really, we are talking about "better" as in better user experience not a better market share. If it works better for a user marketing has nothing to with it. Doesn't matter how many have it, it is the one-on-one experience that is better.
    User experience yes, I agree.

I was stating more along the lines of how well it will compete against skype. For me personally, although technology advancements are great, it still needs to be marketed appropriately for users to catch on. Skype is completely dominating this field as of now (so it seems)
    zyben likes this.
    02-13-13 02:20 AM

I was stating more along the lines of how well it will compete against skype. For me personally, although technology advancements are great, it still needs to be marketed appropriately for users to catch on. Skype is completely dominating this field as of now (so it seems)
    Yeah I agree that for BB10 to catch on of course marketing is necessary, like for any product. But this article is not about catching on or popularity.
    02-13-13 02:26 AM
    About time BBRY expanded on the possibilities of BBM.

How does it do over data (3G)?
    Video chat from PB to PB is also meant to be wifi-dependent but I could do it with mine bridged/tethered to my Bold 9900 when traveling. The framerate was not as good but it worked over 3G. Also read at this forum someone managed to do BBM Video chat with his/her Z10 on 3G/4G somehow. Would like to see more confirmatory posts of course.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    02-13-13 09:32 AM

I was stating more along the lines of how well it will compete against Skype. For me personally, although technology advancements are great, it still needs to be marketed appropriately for users to catch on. Skype is completely dominating this field as of now (so it seems)
    It won't compete with Skype at all, there is your answer. Here's why:

• Skype is a multiplatform software that can be found in desktops, laptops, netbooks, tablets and phones. BBM Video is a platform-centric app available in only one device and compatible to some extent to a single tablet;
    • Skype can make video and audio call. You can even call landlines on Skype. BBM Video can only call BlackBerry devices that are connected to the internet. And it won't ring the mobile network's line the phone is attached to.

You argument is, therefore, moot. We're not discussing if it can compete - because it really can't, both apps have actually different purposes and feature sets - we're talking how technically better it is. If and when BBM Video goes multiplatform, we can pick this up.

Video chat from PB to PB is also meant to be wifi-dependent but I could do it with mine bridged/tethered to my Bold 9900 when traveling. The framerate was not as good but it worked over 3G. Also read at this forum someone managed to do BBM Video chat with his/her Z10 on 3G/4G somehow. Would like to see more confirmatory posts of course.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    I've heard it works tethered, but I know it doesn't work over Bridge alone.
    Last edited by diegonei; 02-13-13 at 10:01 AM.
    02-13-13 09:50 AM
    BBM looks like it will blow away Skype as a quality service.

Skype may have a decent user base but doens't ooVoo have a bigger one? They only thing skype is winning at now is mindshare, as seen in the posters who defend it. There is nothing special about it and there will be a non-stop onslaught of competition to take it over. Theres already many; facetime, ooVoo, gotomeeting, faceflow, etc. When theres a lot of competition in a particular segment you have to differentiate yourself with a superior product if you want to set yourself apart. BBM does this, Skype doesnt. You could also argue its not cross-platform since they don't support ~80 million BB users for voice calling.
    W Hoa likes this.
    02-13-13 11:00 AM
    I believe Skype has a larger base than ooVoo, but am not too sure.

I don't think it has to go cross-platform for it to be successful (though that would be cool); as it stands, it's an added benefit for the users of platform, just as FaceTime is for Apple. In that, it already is successful. It encourages adoption.

One major cross-platform alternative, and BBRY has leveled the playing field. And I still hold it does not necessarily have to be Skype.
    02-13-13 11:58 AM
    It's well documented that Skype has proliferated the market but I believe that it has simultaneously alienated many people from ever taking advantage of it. Why?? It's simply because it sucks as a quality communication tool for people who have audiological impairments!

Sure it has millions of subscribers but I would venture a guess that a measurable sizeable portion will never ever use Skype ever again or use it as a very very last resort.
    02-13-13 12:04 PM
    Skype is terrible. I used to work at a wedding chapel Downtown and we always had technical problems doing Skype weddings (people back home who couldn't attend wanted to Skype in and see it). I also had a job interview with an employer who wanted to contact me through Skype. The connection was so slow we ended up talking on the phone instead.

This is great news about BBM Video. That's another feature I want to show off once I get my Z10. :-)
    02-13-13 02:03 PM
    That's all nice and well, but why are we comparing mobile video/text chat to desktop PC video/text chat? You can't BBM on your desktop. Get a BBM PC version that interacts with both then we can compare them, until then, Skype is the de facto king. Hey, there's a bazillion dollar idea Blackberry, BBM on desktops and laptops and mac's (fat chance on that last one) You're welcome!
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    02-13-13 04:18 PM
    Touch cross-platform messenger now available for BlackBerry 10 | CrackBerry.com

Looks like there is another entrant into the ring. Doesn't take long for a company like skype to lose mind-share. I don't think its user-numbers is great as everyone thinks. I'm pretty sure ooVoo and BBM have more users.

BB is smart to keep BBM only on their platform. Its a premier service and shouldn't be given away for free.
    Last edited by hurds; 02-13-13 at 06:52 PM.
    02-13-13 04:59 PM
    That's great and everything, but what good is it if you have very few contacts (or none at all) on BBM to video-chat with?
    02-13-13 07:55 PM
    That's great and everything, but what good is it if you have very few contacts (or none at all) on BBM to video-chat with?
    Don't you worry about that! I have enough bbm contacts on mine to video chat with. I don't have a Z10 yet but I do have a playbook! Two of my bbm contacts already have z10 phones so I'm good to go!
    02-13-13 09:39 PM
    Skype wins by default due to being everywhere and even integrating with business tools (Outlook, Lync). It has true file transfer, Presence and Status, Single and Group Video Chat which is good if your Web Cam and mic doesn't suck, VoIP and can call land lines. It has screen sharing too on PCs.

BBM is tied to PINed devices and that hurts it quite a bit. Face time is similar, tied to Apple devices and the only Google Talk client compared to BB10's BBM or Skype exists solely on Android.

Skype won by realizing that you can get over half a billion users by being everywhere and integrating with business tools. It will always be the winner in that area, u less Facebook or Google+ challenges them.

Facebook looks like it's getting ready to do just that.

Sent from my AT&T Skyrocket using Tapatalk 2.
    02-13-13 09:54 PM
32 12