OP things are changing. BIS is gone on the new BlackBerrys. So once you upgrade or get a new Android phone, or whatever you'll be able to BBM over WiFi if that's all you are after.
    10-23-13 08:35 PM
    There is still a way to do it but it would take a bit fighting... I am pretty sure if you cancel your bis data plan you should be able to continue to use BBM over wifi only. That being said if you never had data plan you'd need to restore service books from some other bb from the same carrier which would make your bb believe that you are just not connected temporarily to a data network and continue to function over wifi instead. I've read it somewhere but never really tried it as I always had a data plan.
    10-23-13 08:42 PM
    Sorry, but I cannot get BBM to work on a 9320 over WiFi...whereas it works just fine over wifi on a Google Nexus 4 Android. Not going to upgrade this 9320 phone to BBOS 10 just for BBM. They're done IMHO!! This should have been a no brainer. Should have been a total cross platform app ...ESPECIALLY on their own friggin platform!! If they could have tied Apple, Android, WP, Blackberry into 1 single messaging system it could have had potential.
    Cool story...smh at op too,

Your paying for data either way, 100mb bis ur pratically getting about the same amount for 1gb on a regular data plan

Posted via CB10
    10-23-13 08:44 PM
    Why people think BBM on android is free to use? In order for the app to work, it needs a data plan, unless you live locked in a basement with access to Wifi a 100% of the time.
    If you have an OS7 or earlier device, you need BIS, if you have BB10 or Android device you need a data plan. You are still paying for data no matter what.

Posted via CB10
    10-23-13 08:46 PM
    i use the curve 9360, bbm don't work over wifi, it says i have to pay for a data plan, i tried billion times,
    please help me if u know something else
    Only solution is to get a new phone, bb10 or anything else, it won't work over Wifi only with a legacy device

Posted via CB10
    10-23-13 08:50 PM
    Hey OP

It's not RIM for crying out loud.

Ugh.

Posted via CB10
    10-23-13 08:52 PM
    This is probably because you have BIS (BlackBerry data plan) service. If your phone got cut off completely (due to non payment of bills), you would not be able to use your 9700 over wifi
    My 9810 with no sim works fine on wifi. I use it to delete emails and such.

AT&T Z10
    10-23-13 08:54 PM
    Why people think BBM on android is free to use? In order for the app to work, it needs a data plan, unless you live locked in a basement with access to Wifi a 100% of the time.
    If you have an OS7 or earlier device, you need BIS, if you have BB10 or Android device you need a data plan. You are still paying for data no matter what.

Posted via CB10
    It does not need a data plan to work on android, it needs a data plan to work in areas where you do not have access to Wifi, should be a little more clear, just saying

Posted via CB10
    10-23-13 08:56 PM
    why we the real owners of bbm have to pay for a data plan,
    while the (visitors) android, ios users can use it over wifi without any data plans ?
    what is rim doing ?
    BB10 works with wi-fi
    10-23-13 08:59 PM
    In the US if u have a smart phone on a voice plan u have to have a data plan. With att for instance if u have a non smart phone and put your sim in a smart phone the system will detect it and provision your account with a data plan. This rant is pointless. Upgrade to bb10 or get a roid w/e floats your boat.

AT&T Z10
    10-23-13 08:59 PM
    Sorry nelsonpml. I'm not locked in a basement. I have Wifi at work...9-10 hours a day and other times its at home or at someplace like Mcdonalds. The only times I'm out of Wifi is when I'm driving and at that point I REALLY don't want to be reading messages!!!

I have ZERO need for a data plan and I'm not paying 5.00 for 250 mb of data with Koodo (thats like 150 floppies) Ridiculous. So, essentially for me BBM is free on Android.
    10-23-13 09:06 PM
    why we the real owners of bbm have to pay for a data plan,
    while the (visitors) android, ios users can use it over wifi without any data plans ?
    what is rim doing ?
    You were never paying for only bbm service primarily.

In truth you were paying for the DATA that flows through the BlackBerry BIS/BES servers.

RIM handled your smartphone Internet access. Email, bbm, browser, youtube and any other service you can think of.

In short RIM/BBRY was a third party Internet Service Provider.

Carriers liked blackberry because they offered Internet access over compression. Carriers enjoyed not having to handle or maintain the necessary servers and gateways to the Internet and they loved the bandwidth savings.

Now that boradband is cheaper, carriers no longer need such data services from blackberry.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
    FairlightRacing likes this.
    10-23-13 09:12 PM
    You will use more data, about twice as much, on a non-bis phone because bis compresses data. So your 100mb plan gets you a whole lot more than on a non-bb device. Your bis plan is like any other smartphone's data plan. Equal price, no more. So you pay and get to use all the goodies of bbm. They don't pay and only get to use the basics.

It is 6 of one and a half dozen of another. No real difference. You pay and they pay the same amount. Either get bis and enjoy, or get a bb10 device and enjoy bbm for "free" or go to another platform.
    actually wifi is everywhere when i need it, so i don't need to pay for the stupid 100 mb quota for just bbm !
    and yes other platform would be great
    10-24-13 06:58 PM
    thanks for all who replied, really thanks
    10-24-13 07:00 PM
    Legacy BB OS need BIS or BES for bbm to works.
    This is why I recommend others to buy Android or iPhone. Cost per month is cheaper than BIS/BES plan, especially if you have wifi at work and home.

I myself save a bit with my z10, using only a monthly plan that cost 50% less than cheapest BIS plan available here.

With BIS plan: limited only to bbm, YM, fb, but no limit in data.
    With cheaper normal data plan: limited by data usage (600mb per month) but not in function, can access email, browsing, other apps.
    10-25-13 02:06 AM
    no bbm doesnt work off of just a simple wifi connection. my fiance has been trying for 2 days and it says she needs a data plan
    10-25-13 08:07 AM
    no bbm doesnt work off of just a simple wifi connection. my fiance has been trying for 2 days and it says she needs a data plan
    That's weird cuz my Z10 I have used it with wifi only maybe your sim is preventing it

Posted via CB10
    10-25-13 12:10 PM
    I heard about few countries who support their kings or queens financially up to that extent that if such aristocratic people can left to live a simple life thousands of poor people can satisfy their hunger! All these things like outsider cannot intercept your private messages and all is just a foolish thing, now a days nothing is impossible for technology to achieve! If a willing effort is made any government would interfere your communication in any ways and for that you want to pay the price to RIM? This idea of what making BBM cross platform is just a ploy to capture the lost market by advertising their brand but I have marked in India that BB Z10 was of Rs.44,000 when launched now it is just Rs.22,000, you can imagine where it stands in few months! RIM is just a scrap now a days and why? Because of its rigidity, its aristocratic rigidity and that rigidity are provided to them by our false pride of using a premium services, we are not using their premium services, we are just filling their pockets! My personal experience is Whatsapp far more better im app than BBM and for the question of BBOS, I would like to draw the attention of techies here towards legacy mode due to which it is said that which hiders BB users from using apps without BIS but I am using BB browser without any BIS, not even cracking or patching it by some stupid service books then why such restrictions on BBM! My view is that if RIM is willing to back stab its own loyal customers, it can do very easily! Even whatsapp can be used without BIS and without any trick, there is an existence of apps which can work without the limits of legacy mode. With the question of maintenance, I would like to draw your attention towards email and other services which are not provided to non-blackberry users can be used to loot the money but why for BBM which is not available for free on other platforms?
    10-25-13 12:20 PM
    its like my wife is asking money for sex and the entire town is ******* her for free...blackberry users have become a joke of town..
    gaendalf likes this.
    10-27-13 01:53 AM
    then why is that BBM does not work with normal data plan??
    10-27-13 02:00 AM
    You were never paying for only bbm service primarily.

In truth you were paying for the DATA that flows through the BlackBerry BIS/BES servers.

RIM handled your smartphone Internet access. Email, bbm, browser, youtube and any other service you can think of.

In short RIM/BBRY was a third party Internet Service Provider.

Carriers liked blackberry because they offered Internet access over compression. Carriers enjoyed not having to handle or maintain the necessary servers and gateways to the Internet and they loved the bandwidth savings.

Now that boradband is cheaper, carriers no longer need such data services from blackberry.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
    then why is that BBM does not work with normal data plans??
    10-27-13 02:01 AM
    dont worry brother . blackberry will soon find a solution for their users . i have a bb8520 will it work on wifi .?
    10-27-13 06:28 AM
    They took our jobs!

Posted with my BlackBerry Q10 via CB10
    10-27-13 07:49 AM
    I think this is going to be an issue for BlackBerry to convince legacy device users. You need to have a BlackBerry plan to use BBM on old devices. Unfortunate but true.

Posted using my Q10
    10-27-13 07:53 AM
    I really loved BlackBerry but I had to replace my Z10 3 times. Simple things like being able to run certain apps but having to keep that app open for it to work or multiple alarms etc. For all of you that say that BB10 is ahead of other platforms that's just not true what other platforms require you to keep an app open for it to work or can't even give you multiple alarms from the get go but makes you wait for updates for those features but won't work for all devices? BB10 had more apps from the beginning than Android or iPhone who cares when the simple things aren't there. Those platforms had multiple alarms from the beginning. They didnt require you to have apps open in order to work(headless apps) something so basic and simple for a platform to have from the beginning. I left there is to much negative thinking on these platforms. Not all but most of bb users are haters don't bash someone for not using bb grow the **** up it's an os not a family member. Can't believe people dedicate so much to an os. It defeats the purpose of an os. An os should make life easier for you not harder for you. If you constantly defending something your really not enjoying it. People on iOS & Android are not thinking about whats wrong with their os they are busy enjoying it. I left and are using an HTC One and enjoying it. Good riddance bb.
    11-04-13 09:12 PM
66 123