why we the real owners of bbm have to pay for a data plan,
    while the (visitors) android, ios users can use it over wifi without any data plans ?
    what is rim doing ?
    10-22-13 10:29 PM
    This really does bother me as well but I think it's system limitation. Not the case for BB10 by the way.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-13 10:32 PM
    BBM does not require an BIS or BES Data to work, it works on Wifi. You actually don't have to have data to run any app on BB10 a simple connection to wifi and you're Golden.
    10-22-13 10:34 PM
    i use the curve 9360, bbm don't work over wifi, it says i have to pay for a data plan, i tried billion times,
    please help me if u know something else
    southlander likes this.
    10-22-13 10:38 PM
    You can only use BBM over Wi-Fi if you have BB10. BBOS does not work on wifi only at all.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-13 10:44 PM
    Upgrade to BlackBerry 10 and your issues are solved
    saxxman, SupaBlackB and howarmat like this.
    10-22-13 11:25 PM
    after they have done !!, must buy anew phone to use a blackberry service, which other platphorms can use !! r u kiddin me,
    BB story has ended forever
    10-22-13 11:39 PM
    Calm down. For legacy devices you have always needed a BIS plan to access certain features like social apps and mobile data. Ask your carrier for BIS plans. A social plan will give you the basics then you can use BBM over wifi or mobile. If you don't want to pay for BIS then you should have gotten another phone. BB10 does not have BIS so it is just another option for you include native BBM with wifi video and voice function to other BB10. BlackBerry didn't do anything to you.
    10-22-13 11:48 PM
    after they have done !!, must buy anew phone to use a blackberry service, which other platphorms can use !! r u kiddin me,
    BB story has ended forever
    chill the fxxk down! either you move up and get a BB10 device or move down and get an android. either options will allow you to have your free BBM over wifi
    10-23-13 01:09 AM
    i think u do mean, move up for android, or move down to bb10
    how smart for a company like rim to force me do suck a thing,
    10-23-13 05:32 AM
    It's probably different where you live but I pay no more for bis than I would any other data plan so bbm cost me nothing extra.
    FairlightRacing likes this.
    10-23-13 05:41 AM
    My old BB9780 and 9900 both have BBM working without a data plan sim as long as they're connected in wifi and a valid BBID is setup

Z10 STL100-2 10.1.0.4181
    10-23-13 05:42 AM
    @Yasser: nobody's forcing you to do anything. You chose to use a device using BBOS under the conditions that come with the architecture of that platform. BBOS requires BIS, which is paid. That is the condition to use all services on the old platform. There's no obligation to update a decade-old system because the conditions in the market have changed.

BIS is paid because it is a BB-owner secure communications platform that is impervious to outside interference and it requires separate maintenance. If you don't need that, then you need to choose a device that doesn't use that service. But you chose one that does.
    curvezzz likes this.
    10-23-13 05:45 AM
    while the (visitors) android, ios users can use it over wifi without any data plans ?
    what is rim doing ?
    That's your carrier's policy not BlackBerry's. Complain to your carrier. My Bold 9700 BBM works fine on wifi only.
    FairlightRacing likes this.
    10-23-13 05:48 AM
    That's your carrier's policy not BlackBerry's. Complain to your carrier. My Bold 9700 BBM works fine on wifi only.
    This is probably because you have BIS (BlackBerry data plan) service. If your phone got cut off completely (due to non payment of bills), you would not be able to use your 9700 over wifi
    10-23-13 06:02 AM
    what is rim doing ?
    99.9999% of smartphone users have a data plan....your point is mute
    10-23-13 06:06 AM
    yes i chose the paid bbos cus everyone was paying for it like me,
    but now i have to pay for a service which other users can use for free, specially when it comes from my phone's company,
    and dude, i'm not stupid to do such a thing,
    moving to android
    droiddude likes this.
    10-23-13 06:09 AM
    99.9999% of smartphone users have a data plan....your point is mute
    Moot*

Hahahaha sorry I couldn't help it!
    coffeedoctor43 likes this.
    10-23-13 06:12 AM
    yes i chose the paid bbos cus everyone was paying for it like me,
    but now i have to pay for a service which other users can use for free, specially when it comes from my phone's company,
    and dude, i'm not stupid to do such a thing,
    moving to android
    Your choice of course, but one of the appealing things about BIS plans is that they're typically CHEAPER than other data plans.
    Enjoy Android and paying MORE to use free BBM :-p

Posted via CB10
    imadorkx likes this.
    10-23-13 07:47 AM
    i dont get what you are ranting about. you are paying for data service to use BBM anywhere you go. you move to an android, you still need to get a data plan. you dont have free wifi everywhere you go
    curvezzz likes this.
    10-23-13 01:12 PM
    yes the thing is, bis data plan give me about 100 mb a month, for the same money, i can get a regular data plan which give me 1 GB a month.
    and you are asking me what am i ranting about !!
    10-23-13 04:47 PM
    Your ranting about your carriers pricing. Or at least you should be.
    10-23-13 04:53 PM
    yes the thing is, bis data plan give me about 100 mb a month, for the same money, i can get a regular data plan which give me 1 GB a month.
    and you are asking me what am i ranting about !!
    You will use more data, about twice as much, on a non-bis phone because bis compresses data. So your 100mb plan gets you a whole lot more than on a non-bb device. Your bis plan is like any other smartphone's data plan. Equal price, no more. So you pay and get to use all the goodies of bbm. They don't pay and only get to use the basics.

It is 6 of one and a half dozen of another. No real difference. You pay and they pay the same amount. Either get bis and enjoy, or get a bb10 device and enjoy bbm for "free" or go to another platform.

Posted via CB10 via my Z10
    irweezyy likes this.
    10-23-13 07:34 PM
    Sorry, but I cannot get BBM to work on a 9320 over WiFi...whereas it works just fine over wifi on a Google Nexus 4 Android. Not going to upgrade this 9320 phone to BBOS 10 just for BBM. They're done IMHO!! This should have been a no brainer. Should have been a total cross platform app ...ESPECIALLY on their own friggin platform!! If they could have tied Apple, Android, WP, Blackberry into 1 single messaging system it could have had potential.
    10-23-13 08:29 PM
    BBM does not require an BIS or BES Data to work, it works on Wifi. You actually don't have to have data to run any app on BB10 a simple connection to wifi and you're Golden.
    BIS needs it.Err. Meant BBOS needs BIS to use BBM. I think.
    10-23-13 08:32 PM
66 123