Is there any significant features over of these two apps or is one easier than the other on battery?
    09-30-19 09:12 PM
    Is there any significant features over of these two apps or is one easier than the other on battery?
    Battery use is somewhat similar, and probably depends more on what you do.

Given that WhatsApp has a wealth of additional features that cater to a wider audience, you can end up using more battery for no other reason that because you are sending more stickers and gifs, etc.

As far as security is concerned, they both have their positives and negatives depending on what you are most concerned about.

WhatsApp uses a fully open-source, fully audited encryption methodology, and has (in beta) self-destructing messages. But it uses your phone number to join (although you can eliminate that risk by using a virtual number for initial sign-up), and some residual meta-data may be absorbed by Facebook.

BBMe (prosumer), on the other hand, does not use your phone number to sign-up, but unfortunately does not use open-source encryption or have self-destruct messages.
    Last edited by conite; 10-01-19 at 10:11 AM.
    mhw100 likes this.
    09-30-19 09:18 PM
    Whatsapp "borrowed" the signal protocol which is itself open source. However facebook's implementation of the protocol in whatsapp is definitely not open source and has been shown in one study to have security holes in it's group chat implementation which signal does not have.

These security holes would allow facebook to inject themselves into a group chat and even spoof messages to and from users.

If you want the real deal, just use signal.

When did whatsapp get selfdestructing messages?

BBMe has timed messages and also continuous self destructing message capability (if paying for the full corporate license)

BBMe is also government certified for Nato Restricted / Protected B (Canada) information.

The definition of Protected classifications:

1) Protected C (extremely sensitive): applies to the very limited amount of information that, if compromised, could reasonably be expected to cause extremely grave injury outside the national interest, for example, loss of life.
    2) Protected B (particularly sensitive): applies to information that, if compromised, could reasonably be expected to cause serious injury outside the national interest, for example, loss of reputation or competitive advantage.
    3) Protected A (low-sensitive): applies to information that, if compromised, could reasonably be expected to cause injury outside the national interest, for example, disclosure of exact salary figures.
    Examples of Protected B information include hospital records or banking / financial records.
    Last edited by chetmanley; 10-01-19 at 12:16 AM.
    09-30-19 11:49 PM
    Technical arguments aside, WhatsApp has a much lower barrier to entry than BBMe; no subscription cost, and, in most of the world, the odds are good that whoever one wants to talk to has WhatsApp anyway.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-01-19 03:04 AM

WhatsApp uses a fully open-source, fully audited encryption methodology, and has self-destructing messages. But it uses your phone number to join (although you can eliminate that risk by using a burner number or virtual number for initial sign-up), and some residual meta-data may be absorbed by Facebook.

BBMe, on the other hand, does not use your phone number to sign-up, but unfortunately does not use open-source encryption or have self-destruct messages.
    I can't find the message self destruct setting, are you sure about this?

Also, your phone number must stay associated with the device you're using - if I take my SIM out of my phone I am unable to send or receive messages.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-19 05:33 AM
    I can't find the message self destruct setting, are you sure about this?

Also, your phone number must stay associated with the device you're using - if I take my SIM out of my phone I am unable to send or receive messages.

Posted via CB10
    It's just about to be implemented.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/1/2...ivacy-security

As far as the SIM goes, you have to set it up again using a different number by using your home number or a virtual number.

Then you have to make a call to get the verification code after the automatic process fails.
    Last edited by conite; 10-01-19 at 12:58 PM.
    10-01-19 07:33 AM
    Not sure about WhatsApp but I have noticed BBMe uses a lot LESS battery than old BBM
    10-01-19 09:35 AM
    Feature I like in BBMe is Timed Messages and Priority messages (PING), both individual and group, fully customisable.
    10-01-19 12:31 PM
    Oh goody!

As far as the SIM goes, you have to set it up again using a different number by using your home number or a virtual number.

Then you have to make a call to get the verification code after the automatic process fails.
    Cool, glad you could explain. Hopefully it helps someone.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-19 02:30 PM