Honestly, no one should ever use a product based on assumptions about the future. So, if you want to use BBMe, it should be based on the assumption that you're going to pay for an enterprise quality service if you continue after the promotional period, and that but will be a lift getting others to use it.

But, the one piece of advice I would give to anyone is to migrate away from FB Messenger, WhatsApp, and any other platform, encrypted or not, that monetizes your network of contacts, location data, and other information.

My vote, for most people, would be Signal, because it comes from a nonprofit with a sterling record and commitment to providing free, world-class security.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    I believe in BBMe however, none of my family members seems to be concerned. The vast majority of them migrated to WhatsApp over the last 7-8 years and used BBM sparingly with few like me. As family members upgrade phones over the years, fewer kept using BBM and I eventually had to get WhatsApp to maintain contact.

I'd like to convince others in my various circles to use BBMe however, I'll lose serious credibility with various family and professionals if BBMe doesn't continue and we have to migrate again.

Many people trust current messenger choices and while verbalized support for privacy, don't have same perception of BB as we here do, especially after starts and restarts. I'm using BBMe and yet like BBM for Android/IOS from Emtek, my contacts are CB Forum members. I can message these people from CB directly.
    05-15-19 12:50 PM
    Out of pure curiosity, I wonder if any bb10 phones were susceptible to this attack?
    Anyone know if it only affects android and iOS?
    Please take your turns answering and conform in a uniform line without cutting in front of each other to answer. Everyone can have a turn.
    05-15-19 12:57 PM

My vote, for most people, would be Signal, because it comes from a nonprofit with a sterling record and commitment to providing free, world-class security.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    Yes, I use Signal as my SMS/MMS app. The only issue I have with it is the false sense of security as it's only encrypted if the people you text with have it too. I can count on one hand the number of people I know who also use signal, and still have enough digits left to hitchhike and pick my nose at the same time (but I probably would't get a ride!)
    05-15-19 01:06 PM
    Please take your turns answering and conform in a uniform line without cutting in front of each other to answer. Everyone can have a turn.
    You're waiting for a BB10 device user answering regarding Android version app that has internal WhatsApp answer on possible intrusion on BB10 device.

That's going to be a very good answer when those users can re-access their BB10 hardware from zombie machine takeover access.... BB10adopter111 grandmother profile may provide clues once he can reply from outside threat containment zone sector delta.....
    The_Passporter likes this.
    05-15-19 01:36 PM
    You're waiting for a BB10 device user answering regarding Android version app that has internal WhatsApp answer on possible intrusion on BB10 device.

That's going to be a very good answer when those users can re-access their BB10 hardware from zombie machine takeover access.... BB10adopter111 grandmother profile may provide clues once he can reply from outside threat containment zone sector delta.....
    That's what I thought lol
    05-15-19 01:46 PM
    Yes, I use Signal as my SMS/MMS app. The only issue I have with it is the false sense of security as it's only encrypted if the people you text with have it too. I can count on one hand the number of people I know who also use signal, and still have enough digits left to hitchhike and pick my nose at the same time (but I probably would't get a ride!)
    I have had good success getting people to install Signal. I just tell them I prefer it to WhatsApp, FB Messenger SMS, and Google Hangouts because it's a nonprofit dedicated to protecting our privacy. People might think I'm a little weird or obsessive, but that doesn't bother me at all.
    05-15-19 02:34 PM
    I have had good success getting people to install Signal. I just tell them I prefer it to WhatsApp, FB Messenger SMS, and Google Hangouts because it's a nonprofit dedicated to protecting our privacy. People might think I'm a little weird or obsessive, but that doesn't bother me at all.
    I feel the same about Telegram. Nice thing is that it has more advanced collaborative features (over Signal) when they are needed too.

I know there is still some server-side code that is not open source, but they invite anyone to audit, and offer rewards for discovered vulnerabilities.
    05-15-19 02:36 PM
    I feel the same about Telegram. Nice thing is that it has more advanced collaborative features (over Signal) when they are needed too.

I know there is still some server-side code that is not open source, but they invite anyone to audit, and offer rewards for discovered vulnerabilities.
    Sure, add Telegram to the list! Signal, Telegram, BBMe, Slack, MS Teams.or Google Hangouts Chat (part of G Suite)

Let's jut stop pretending that WhatsApp, FB Messenger and Google Hangouts are appropriate platforms for our work and personal lives. They offer almost zero value over other, more private and secure options.

I just tell people I care too much about my privacy to use them, and I get no pushback, especially these days!
    05-15-19 03:08 PM

Although Telegram is "nice" with features, bots... it does have some reputation? / questions? issues with regards to security that are not that clear or seem clear. Just search in Google. Which messaging app is the most secured? We will never know. Feature rich apps is one thing and security another.
    05-15-19 03:21 PM
    Although Telegram is "nice" with features, bots... it does have some reputation? / questions? issues with regards to security that are not that clear or seem clear. Just search in Google. Which messaging app is the most secured? We will never know. Feature rich apps is one thing and security another.
    I wouldn't consider any e2e messaging app without post auto-destruct.

BBMe commercial has it (along with Telegram among others), but BBMe prosumer does not.

05-15-19 03:28 PM
    [IMG=540x810]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190515/96eceeb91e92645df3a3fa965a3bdb5c.jpg[/url]
    Exactly that Telegram would say their / explain their product is secure! What else would they say!!
    Just like Whatsapp with their security says it uses end to end encryption and we know what happened.
    For myself I know as soon as I give my personal phone number to enable an app my security level whether I like it or not has been downgraded.
    05-15-19 03:35 PM
    Exactly that Telegram would say their / explain their product is secure! What else would they say!!
    Just like Whatsapp with their security says it uses end to end encryption and we know what happened.
    For myself I know as soon as I give my personal phone number to enable an app my security level whether I like it or not has been downgraded.
    Telegram is fully open to 3rd party audit - BBMe is not. Why do you think that is?

And, once again, if you feel so threatened by providing your telephone number to Telegram Inc. (or Signal), then take 5 minutes and grab a free virtual number for the initial sign-up. The number is not needed for further activations, and you can set it so your contacts don't see it.
    05-15-19 03:36 PM
    It's totally puzzling to me why Telegram chose to develop its own cryptography when there are proven, compliant, open source ones available. I am not a cryptographer, but cryptographers I've spoken with don't much care for Telegram's approach.

Here's a summary of the issue from Wikipedia:

"Telegram's security model has received notable criticism by cryptography experts. They criticized the general security model of permanently storing all contacts, messages and media together with their decryption keys on its servers by default and by not enabling end-to-end end encryption for messages by default.
    Pavel Durov has argued that this is because it helps to avoid third-party unsecure backups, and to allow users to access messages and files from any device. Cryptography experts have furthermore criticized Telegram's use of a custom-designed encryption protocol that has not been proven reliable and secure."
    05-15-19 03:46 PM
    Telegram is fully open to 3rd party audit - BBMe is not. Why do you think that is?
    Is the official legal response published from BlackBerry Limited available to general public with regards to 3rd party audits ? of course not... BlackBerry is as we know a publicly listed company subject to audits continuously.
    05-15-19 03:48 PM
    Is the official legal response published from BlackBerry Limited available to general public with regards to 3rd party audits ? of course not... BlackBerry is as we know a publicly listed company subject to audits continuously.
    I'm not talking about a financial audit for goodness sake. It's an audit of its encryption code by independent 3rd parties.
    05-15-19 03:49 PM
    It's totally puzzling to me why Telegram chose to develop its own cryptography when there are proven, compliant, open source ones available. I am not a cryptographer, but cryptographers I've spoken with don't much care for Telegram's approach.

Here's a summary of the issue from Wikipedia:

"Telegram's security model has received notable criticism by cryptography experts. They criticized the general security model of permanently storing all contacts, messages and media together with their decryption keys on its servers by default and by not enabling end-to-end end encryption for messages by default.
    Pavel Durov has argued that this is because it helps to avoid third-party unsecure backups, and to allow users to access messages and files from any device. Cryptography experts have furthermore criticized Telegram's use of a custom-designed encryption protocol that has not been proven reliable and secure."
    The point is, they COULD have used fully open source encryption server-side, but found it wanting. That's why they allow 3rd party audits and bounties.
    05-15-19 03:51 PM
    I'm not talking about a financial audit for goodness sake. It's an audit of its code.
    Yes....I understood my point is BlackBerry has no need at its level to go that route that we are open or not to code audits..already witnessed how they said NO to Pakistan. Telegram with its limited business models of course can use "selling" statements like that!

Sent from my STV100-4 using CB Forums mobile app
    05-15-19 03:54 PM
    my point is BlackBerry has no need at its level to go that route
    Oh my.
    Last edited by conite; 05-15-19 at 04:18 PM.
    05-15-19 04:03 PM
    Oh my.
    BlackBerry who recently carried out million dollar purchase of Cylance now is going to be debated or not and compared to Telegram and their "supposedly" code open to audit..which in NO way can confirmed or not....yes Ohhh my!
    05-15-19 04:53 PM
    BlackBerry who recently carried out BILLION dollar purchase of Cylance now is going to be debated or not and compared to Telegram and their "supposedly" code open to audit..which in NO way can confirmed or not....yes Ohhh my!
    Fixed that for you. It makes a small difference to discussion at hand ;-)
    05-15-19 04:59 PM
    BlackBerry can push that thier BBMe is more secure than watsapp.
    They have been doing that since forever without any results...
    05-15-19 05:12 PM
    I think nobody carers about privacy cause the vast majority of the whatsapp users only use it for sending memes, meaningless chitchat and viral cr*p.
    Rico4you likes this.
    05-15-19 05:16 PM
    They have been doing that since forever without any results...
    BlackBerry mantra says it will be manana, never today, always manana....
    G_Unit MVP likes this.
    05-15-19 05:17 PM
    BlackBerry who recently carried out million dollar purchase of Cylance now is going to be debated or not and compared to Telegram and their "supposedly" code open to audit..which in NO way can confirmed or not....yes Ohhh my!
    What does Cylance have to do with BBMe? Absolutely nothing.
    05-15-19 05:20 PM
    Interesting article from Telegram:

https://telegra.ph/Why-WhatsApp-Will...e-Secure-05-15
    Last edited by conite; 05-15-19 at 05:40 PM.
    05-15-19 05:27 PM
67 123