05-14-19 07:20 AM
    I highly doubt that anyone has any legitimate expectations of privacy or security from any Facebook product.

They are only used because they are ubiquitous.
    Last edited by conite; 05-15-19 at 09:01 AM.
    05-14-19 08:09 AM
    I highly doubt that anyone has any legitimate expectations of privacy or security from any Facebook product.

They are all used because they are ubiquitous.
    True, but wouldn't this be a good time for BlackBerry to push thier BBMe product to the security conscious people of the world?
    05-14-19 08:23 AM
    True, but wouldn't this be a good time for BlackBerry to push thier BBMe product to the security conscious people of the world?
    You mean so they can give away a $40 a year product for free? Meh.
    05-14-19 08:28 AM
    Agreed! They should push for it!!
    BBMe is phenomenal!
    05-14-19 11:26 AM
    Who said anything about giving it away? BlackBerry can push that thier BBMe is more secure than watsapp.
    05-14-19 01:50 PM
    Who said anything about giving it away? BlackBerry can push that thier BBMe is more secure than watsapp.
    And yes it is!
    05-14-19 02:41 PM
    05-14-19 06:40 PM

They are all used because they are ubiquitous.
    Right, but people don't expect it to actually be a vector for malware from the government or foreign intelligence agencies to turn on surveillance functions unrelated to the app!

Posted with my trusty Z10
    05-14-19 07:20 PM
    John Chen can be questioned for a lot things but his track record and decisions have proven critical in saving BlackBerry from bankruptcy. That right there is a huge vote of confidence.
    Last edited by Rico4you; 05-14-19 at 09:36 PM.
    05-14-19 09:25 PM
    John Chen can be questioned for a lot things but his track record and decisions have proven critical in saving BlackBerry from bankruptcy. That right there is a huge vote of confidence.
    Exactly!!!
    Rico4you likes this.
    05-15-19 02:37 AM
    Thread cleaned. Going forward, if anyone feels they need to share negative personal opinions about fellow members and volunteers - don't . If any do make it into the forum, use the report button instead of discussing it. Some pretty good comments had to go out with the trash.
    05-15-19 03:09 AM
    YESSSS!!!!
    Rico4you likes this.
    05-15-19 08:59 AM
    I read the article but am still left with that fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me, feeling that only goes away with an explanation of what's better on 3rd BBM Consumer go around.

Literally, hanging out with business acquaintance, former BB and BBM fan and obscure tech fan, stated as such regarding support. "Expecting different outcome if nothing has changed is ridiculous and won't happen anywhere but in the movies or TV show."

As former military and government contractor, he stated that Enterprise cares about security where consumers view as obstacle that isn't desired even when free.

He literally complained about Facebook Messenger, Instagram and WhatsApp regarding privacy issues but said BBMe is waste of time even free if consumers won't mass adopt. Still uses WhatsApp because his wife's family in Panama had too many problems when BBM wasn't cross platform. He actually tried BBM Emtek in the beginning, didn't like the Emtek model for monetization. Figured might as well go all in on WhatsApp back then.

This is why I'd like an explanation specifically, again, besides, third proverbial time's a charm.
    05-15-19 09:32 AM
    none of it matters if you dont have anyone else in your circle using BBM which is really the problem. They once were a king and slowly just like the phones, that completely slipped away to nothing.
    Last edited by howarmat; 05-15-19 at 09:57 AM.
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    05-15-19 09:44 AM
    vector for malware
    ^^
    like that
    05-15-19 09:49 AM
    I read the article but am still left with that fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me, feeling that only goes away with an explanation of what's better on 3rd BBM Consumer go around.

Literally, hanging out with business acquaintance, former BB and BBM fan and obscure tech fan, stated as such regarding support. "Expecting different outcome if nothing has changed is ridiculous and won't happen anywhere but in the movies or TV show."

As former military and government contractor, he stated that Enterprise cares about security where consumers view as obstacle that isn't desired even when free.

He literally complained about Facebook Messenger, Instagram and WhatsApp regarding privacy issues but said BBMe is waste of time even free if consumers won't mass adopt. Still uses WhatsApp because his wife's family in Panama had too many problems when BBM wasn't cross platform. He actually tried BBM Emtek in the beginning, didn't like the Emtek model for monetization. Figured might as well go all in on WhatsApp back then.

This is why I'd like an explanation specifically, again, besides, third proverbial time's a charm.
    Yes lots of explanations out there..depends on which one you follow, listen or even believe. But when media has constantly put out stories about hacks, data sold, data breach with Facebook and now Whatsapp...etc ..the warning bells are right there in front of you whether you believe or not. Think it's time People really took their phone / data as something very serious and not just a communicatios / entertainment tool..worry free. Too each his own what they do with their "wallet". I secured mine and continue securing it.
    05-15-19 09:54 AM
    Out of pure curiosity, I wonder if any bb10 phones were susceptible to this attack?
    Anyone know if it only affects android and iOS?
    05-15-19 10:47 AM
    You mean so they can give away a $40 a year product for free? Meh.
    While I don't entirely disagree with you, I would dispute "give away a $40 a year product" as being somewhat inaccurate. The $40/yr product, that you and I both subscribe to, includes a much higher level of security, an entire back end for setting IT policies, as well as the support subscription that comes with all of this. I don't know about you, but any time over the last few years that I've needed to contact BB support with respect to my BBMe subscription, the response was nearly immediate (they called me within minutes).

I would argue that the product being sold for $40/yr is quite different from the $7/yr BBMe for individuals that we are talking about. It doesn't have the same security level, back end tools, or support that BBMe for enterprise does.
    05-15-19 11:08 AM
    While I don't entirely disagree with you, I would dispute "give away a $40 a year product" as being somewhat inaccurate. The $40/yr product, that you and I both subscribe to, includes a much higher level of security, an entire back end for setting IT policies, as well as the support subscription that comes with all of this. I don't know about you, but any time over the last few years that I've needed to contact BB support with respect to my BBMe subscription, the response was nearly immediate (they called me within minutes).

I would argue that the product being sold for $40/yr is quite different from the $7/yr BBMe for individuals that we are talking about. It doesn't have the same security level, back end tools, or support that BBMe for enterprise does.
    I certainly agree on the differences between the two services, although I still believe the costs are closer than you may be suggesting. All of those features are still there for "prosumers", but they are just set to certain defaults.

The support infrastructure may not be as responsive, but must also still exist to service the new subscribers too.

But really, in the end, 20,000 or so new users x $6 is nothing anyway. This is back to my original proposition that they have no real use for this, and only offered the thing in the first place to stem the flak from the sudden Emtek decision.

Kudos for BlackBerry to have done that though.
    XxWile_E_CoyotexX likes this.
    05-15-19 11:15 AM
    I certainly agree on the differences between the two services, although I still believe the costs are closer than you may be suggesting. All of those features are still there for "prosumers", but they are just set to certain defaults.

The support infrastructure may not be as responsive, but must also still exist to service the new subscribers too.

But really, in the end, 20,000 or so new users x $6 is nothing anyway. This is back to my original proposition that they have no real use for this, and only offered the thing in the first place to stem the flak from the sudden Emtek decision.

Kudos for BlackBerry to have done that though.
    While i've got you here...If i turn off the auto passphrase, what will happen next? It will generate an encryption key that I will have to text, email, or dictate over the phone to each contact? Will it be the same for all contacts or does it make a new one for each?
    05-15-19 11:22 AM
    While i've got you here...If i turn off the auto passphrase, what will happen next? It will generate an encryption key that I will have to text, email, or dictate over the phone to each contact? Will it be the same for all contacts or does it make a new one for each?
    You need to send the manual passcode to each user as you initiate the chat.
    05-15-19 11:23 AM
    You need to send the manual passcode to each user as you initiate the chat.
    will it wipe out the current chats?
    05-15-19 11:28 AM
    will it wipe out the current chats?
    You can share a passphrase from within an already existing chat. I've never actually done that, but there is only one way to find out how it affects the chat history.
    05-15-19 11:35 AM

Honestly, no one should ever use a product based on assumptions about the future. So, if you want to use BBMe, it should be based on the assumption that you're going to pay for an enterprise quality service if you continue after the promotional period, and that but will be a lift getting others to use it.

But, the one piece of advice I would give to anyone is to migrate away from FB Messenger, WhatsApp, and any other platform, encrypted or not, that monetizes your network of contacts, location data, and other information.

My vote, for most people, would be Signal, because it comes from a nonprofit with a sterling record and commitment to providing free, world-class security.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    TgeekB likes this.
    05-15-19 12:40 PM
67 123