I'd like to see if I can get the people I know using WhatsApp to move over to BBM. Does anyone have some compelling reasons why they should? I'm just looking for ideas and these are people using iOS and Android. Any useful ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!
    12-30-14 07:35 AM
    BBM stickers!
    I kid I kid lol

I'm not sure about the other handsets or platforms but on my Z10, a direct comparison...

WhatsApp is faster than Blackberry's own BBM, on BB10.

So speed is definitely not a plus.

I honestly can't think of one compelling reason besides video?

Posted via CB10
    muindor likes this.
    12-30-14 07:52 AM
    Not before

1) BlackBerry simplifies the interface of BBM for the other platforms
    2) BBM will have a native look on Android
    3) Ability to find users using phone numbers beside PIN
    4) 1:1 video calls across platforms
    Loc22 likes this.
    12-30-14 08:02 AM
    Do they care about security? I think that's only real advantage to BBM (Oh, and phone calls!). Other than that, I don't see BBM being better.
    Enea Hastopalli likes this.
    12-30-14 08:04 AM
    The annoying online status of WhatsApp! I prioritize if and who I answer and when I do. Don't want people to see that. BBM allows that!

Posted from my Square Monstrosity!
    Kanishk Amin likes this.
    12-30-14 08:07 AM
    I would get them to think about their "online status" and contact list privacy.
    Security wise, with the recent update, some might argue that WA has upgraded their security features even if it's not on par with BBM.

BBM users can select on who would become their "friends" based on given invites, but WA users are automatically registered globally as invite-able contacts as long as you know their phone number.
    I would give my PIN to specific person and can ignore anyone that I did not recognized.
    But my phone number is and always be registered as a WA users even if I no longer activate it and even if I stop using that number.

In the end, that's why I use both of them.
    BBM for inner circle and WA for public.
    dusdal likes this.
    12-30-14 08:42 AM
    Voice calls seems to be the main one. Especially internationally.

Posted via CB10
    12-30-14 07:44 PM
    Glympse?

Posted via CB10
    12-30-14 07:45 PM
    It's doesn't automatically add all of your contacts to your list?

This is the main perk to me.

Posted via CB10
    12-30-14 07:47 PM
    I've also found good value in channels. I've created some focused on my interests. I enjoy the anonymity and the control you have over comments as well as the subscriber stats that you have access too.

Though it needs some significant feature additions.

Posted via CB10
    12-30-14 07:49 PM
    BBM Group is so much more powerful, with common calendar and to do list etc. Very useful to some (my humble self included) but probably not everybody.

Posted via CB10
    dusdal and Rjinswand like this.
    12-30-14 10:43 PM
    Glympse?

Posted via CB10
    Agree totally. Me and family can exchange Glympse whilst driving to meet each other. Time saver. Texting or calling just to ask where each other is up to no more.

Posted via CB10
    dusdal likes this.
    12-30-14 10:46 PM
    Well Whatsapp will have voice call in a month or so, and they basically got everything right except they don't have glympse that's all

Good for them, they are so lucky they don't have stickers.

Posted via CB10
    Coffee Shampoo likes this.
    12-31-14 06:43 AM
    I converted my gf to use BBM. She uses an Android phone and loves voice calls

Z10STL100-2/10.3.1.1151
    dusdal likes this.
    01-01-15 12:42 PM
    Stop using all other IM clients and just use BBM as a start. I've told my contacts that's it's BBM or nothing, if they want to IM. Otherwise call or email. Personally I don't want anything to do with Facebook, so whatsapp found another place when it was purchased. People are slowing waking to Facebook and it's intrusive nature, in that anything to do with FB will be.

BBM has one extremely important factor that's important to many, and that's the control over contacts. Invite/Accept based whereas whatsapp just needs a cell number listed in the persons contacts.

cbcoza | Z3/Z10/Z30 - OS:10.3.1.1154
    David Tyler likes this.
    01-02-15 12:42 AM
    Glympse is fantastic and very useful when meeting people but is beyond most WhatsApp users IQ.

I don't use stickers but BBM smileys are far more expressive, there is not full face cry or hiding face in shame in WhatsApp.

Voice calls to my contacts at better than cellular quality.

Use of BBM on non cellular divices such as wifi iPad and Tablets. Ironically not the playbook though.

Privacy and ability to terminate contact at will.

PlayBook, Z30 on 1154, Passport on 19##, Z10 on 1154
    01-05-15 10:03 AM
    To those WhatsApp users who hate the recently introduced double check marks, tell them WhatsApp is now as bad as BBM so why not giving it a try for other features?

To those who love the double check marks, tell them BBM had it since over 10 years ago so why not checking it out for what else they have been missing?

To those who liked the double check marks until their partners rooted/jail-broke their phones to disable the feature, tell them no way their partners can turn this off in BBM especially when you buy them a BlackBerry phone.

Posted via CB10
    01-08-15 09:19 AM
    Don't do it. BBM on other on Android and iOS is unreliable. Best friend (iPhone 5) and gf (Alcatel one touch) went back to WhatsApp.

Z10STL100-2/10.3.1.1154
    01-10-15 02:00 AM
    Just don't communicate with them at all via what's app or text. I gave everyone a year notice that I will be using bbm exclusively and will no longer answer texts or use any other application, nor will I answer my phone for anyone with bbm capability. Everyone has converted!

Posted via CB10
    01-10-15 09:31 AM
    Don't do it. BBM on other on Android and iOS is unreliable. Best friend (iPhone 5) and gf (Alcatel one touch) went back to WhatsApp.

Z10STL100-2/10.3.1.1154
    Works well on Android these days (4.3/5 on GPlay)

Not so good on iOS

Posted via CB10
    01-10-15 12:34 PM
    First BlackBerry needs to:
    1. Fix the bugs on the cross-platform apps
    2. Notifications are poor mainly cause BBM doesn't rely on Google Services or any other services for that matter, that needs to be addressed.
    3. They need to expand all the same options currently on individual chats to multi-person and Group Chats. Such as File, media and location sharing, timed messages and message retraction.
    4. Video Chat with cross-platform BBM users would be a huge plus!
    5. Sharing from Channels needs to be addressed.
    6. Simplifying UI, invitations and making the UI's on the cross-platforms look more native is a must.
    Then we can make a good argument for BBM and against WhatsApp.

Posted via CB10
    01-10-15 12:38 PM
    BBM stickers!
    I kid I kid lol

I'm not sure about the other handsets or platforms but on my Z10, a direct comparison...

WhatsApp is faster than Blackberry's own BBM, on BB10.

So speed is definitely not a plus.

I honestly can't think of one compelling reason besides video?

Posted via CB10
    100% agreed.
    Sending a picture is a pain in the arse. Never mind a video. It's just so slow.

Comparison with a 4.5 MB picture:

- Bbm -> 56 seconds to load requested HD picture.
    - Whatsapp -> 3 seconds to load the HD Picture.

If it was only 5 seconds or even 6/7 then I wouldn't mind. But 56 seconds is just too much for ONE picture.

BlackBerry, speed up BBM in order to get more users on your plattform. Until then I'll be using Whatsapp the most.
    Reason: I need a quick platform to exchange moments.

PS: speed up the camera as well!!
    PPS: implement emoji into BBM!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted via CB10
    01-10-15 01:06 PM
    100% agreed.
    Sending a picture is a pain in the arse. Never mind a video. It's just so slow.

Comparison with a 4.5 MB picture:

- Bbm -> 56 seconds to load requested HD picture.
    - Whatsapp -> 3 seconds to load the HD Picture.

If it was only 5 seconds or even 6/7 then I wouldn't mind. But 56 seconds is just too much for ONE picture.

BlackBerry, speed up BBM in order to get more users on your plattform. Until then I'll be using Whatsapp the most.
    Reason: I need a quick platform to exchange moments.

PS: speed up the camera as well!!
    PPS: implement emoji into BBM!!!!!!!!!!!
    PPPS: finally bring BBM-Video crossplatform!!!!
    Posted via CB10
    01-10-15 01:07 PM
    Sorry for the self quote. My app seems to have mixed up the edit!!

Posted via CB10
    01-10-15 01:10 PM
    Timed messages is a good way to make people convert

Posted via CB10
    01-10-15 02:29 PM
26 12