I understand the messages are encrypted end to end, but only a government or service provider would be able to get at them over the air anyway. If I lived in Iran and organized protests, this could be a real problem, but i don't. If the US government is trying to read my bbm's I have bigger problems than end to end encryption can solve.

So, assuming we take government or service providers out of the picture, how would bbm's security, without BES, protect me from hackers, corporate spies, malicious ex-girlfriends, etc.? If at all.

I see everyone talking about bbm's security and I just don't understand what makes it so special vs whatsapp or viber.
    12-22-13 01:41 PM
    I understand the messages are encrypted end to end, but only a government or service provider would be able to get at them over the air anyway. If I lived in Iran and organized protests, this could be a real problem, but i don't. If the US government is trying to read my bbm's I have bigger problems than end to end encryption can solve.

So, assuming we take government or service providers out of the picture, how would bbm's security, without BES, protect me from hackers, corporate spies, malicious ex-girlfriends, etc.? If at all.

I see everyone talking about bbm's security and I just don't understand what makes it so special vs whatsapp or viber.
    you take out governments and you will find there is limited interest in even having a BB10 phone much less wanting to hack it. maybe because information is encrypted it makes it too hard for a hacker to try and read your conversation. whatsapp or any other app can't really say that. either way, not much you have to worry about in essence because you have a BlackBerry. are you some cartel member or something? if not i'd say stop you're worrying.

anywho, here is more facts to answer your concern: http://encryptedmobile.com/is-bbm-secure-article/
    12-22-13 01:56 PM
    I don't have a blackberry anymore, switched to Android after the Playbook betrayal, but I'm researching a secure messaging service that complies with HIPAA (healthcare privacy laws) for use in private practice.

Anyway, the particular use case isn't the issue. I'm just trying to understand if BBM without BES actually offers security advantages over other chat apps.

When i try to open that link on my mobile with chrome browser it just shows a blank page.
    Last edited by victorshikhman; 12-22-13 at 03:02 PM.
    12-22-13 02:07 PM

When i try to open that link on my mobile with chrome browser it just shows a blank page.
    Silly, haven't you ever watched a spy movie? You need to hold the page up to a candle, and the text will appear.

Posted via CB10
    extisis likes this.
    12-23-13 10:53 PM
    I think BBM is very secure it still goes through blackberrys NOC sever which they use for BES and remaining BIS accounts.
    12-26-13 06:16 AM
    It's encrypted end to end, plus the messages goes through a BlackBerry NOC server not a carrier server.
    No one can read your messages without an official written request to BlackBerry siting tangible reasons to have access to your specific messages.
    As for the OP from Iran, you can still use BBM on BlackBerry and use code names to substitute sensitive words to attract less attention. I wouldn't recommend BBM on any other devices besides a BlackBerry 10 to be on the safe side. Good luck buddy

Posted via CB10
    12-30-13 09:03 AM
    I don't think the question of whether BBM is much different, security-wise, from any other messaging app that uses SSL.
    Could we all attempt to find an answer here:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/general...antage-894069/
    01-23-14 04:47 AM