The new bbm has several flaws that will still prohibit mainstream users from migrating from their "favorite" msg app to bbm and using bbm & Channels. And the non BlackBerry users that I convinced to try bbm x-platform have already switched back to other msg apps, claiming the lack of features and "I can already do that with..... so why would I use bbm".

The roll-out for updates follows the "traditional" BlackBerry style. SLOW - few and far between.
    I thought that with new management things would change a crossed the board. I know and understand that it is a huge undertaking starting things from the ground up but....

Where is x-platform video?
    Will we have to pay this feature also, like we will for bbm meetings in the coming months.

Or did bbmm now assume the roll for video chat? If not is that going to be another feature that we will have to subscribe to?

It seem with BlackBerry trying to monetize bbm they they are striping out everything that made bbm a great msg'ing app. And now bbm is playing "catch-up" with competing apps.

I was under the impression that when bbm went x-platform their goal was to be the one and only "all in one" app for msg/voice/video/channels. Things looked very bright for the future of bbm. But now it seems like they are more focused on making bbm it's own brand apart from BlackBerry and alienating their loyal user base.

What are your thoughts?

End rant! Lol.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-14 11:02 AM
    I am a little disappointed with their approach here too. Not sure why they removed screen sharing from BlackBerry BBM. I've also noticed video quality on BBM video has been downgraded a bit.

Seems like they are definitely chasing the $ sign, and any cost of BBM isn't factored in to the sale price of a BlackBerry device.

On the bright side it makes it easier to give up trying to make my contacts switch.

Posted via CB10
    Smitty13 likes this.
    11-14-14 11:12 AM
    I foresee screen share being implemented once again in meetings when it is a subscription based service.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-14 12:08 PM
    Before getting to video and screen share, they need to get notifications on iOS/Android right. On iOS, you still can't hide the message from the notifications screen and can't have it display only the name of the contact sending the message. It's either message on the screen or no notification. And a native UI to speed up the app is essential.
    11-14-14 01:00 PM
    Yes, I'm disappointed in how things are with BBM. I would much prefer to have all the features free & BBM make money through BBM shop. Otherwise they should provide a payment gateway integrated into BBM where Channels owners can sell things & BlackBerry get a cut like payment card companies.

BBM could also sell songs & other content via BBM too like the BBM music or something.

I'm sure with more subscribers the money made would be much higher than the current model.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-14 01:25 PM
    On BlackBerry side of things I agree they have been slow. But android, ios and windows versions are getting updates regularly. They have done a decent job to improve the app. It was really horrible when it was launched on those platforms. Now it's way better.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-14 01:39 PM
    Yeah, bbm stagnation is disappointing. Most thef. iOS people I got to try it dropped it. Leaves way to much to be desired. So much for a separate company - monetization scheme for cross platform. What We are left with is stupid pay sticker notifications that bug me no end to cancel
    11-14-14 01:45 PM
    They don't care about consumers, they want enterprise because they want dollars!

Posted via CB10
    11-14-14 09:37 PM
    The notification problem on iOS is a big thing. All those users that tried it and dropped it will be hard to win back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    11-14-14 10:34 PM
    The notification problem on iOS is a big thing. All those users that tried it and dropped it will be hard to win back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I agree with you, how come it is so difficult for BBM to have default notification for their iOS & Android versions? Most of my friends don't get any notification on Android & iOS. They have to manually set it up.

Android & iOS devices are so complicated to get to their settings most just give up.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-14 10:44 PM
    I'm glad they finally stopped cheating on themselves by trying to be consumer focused and instead focused on enterprise.
    They will never get market share of the current leaders and they must have realised that either they do nothing and continue to be number 8 or so IM platform with no chance of getting any higher or they stay number 8 but start making money out of it.
    So now with enterprise focused new functionality they will get some money out of companies. Throw in a little bit from loyal customers that will be happy to pay for anything BlackBerry and that model could actually work.
    For those typical consumers trying to stay with bbm you either get used to free crippled version of bbm or move on to another platform. You're not their target user anymore.
    11-15-14 05:44 AM
    IMO, things that can and should be free should be just that, free. The rest can be paid. Also, there's NOTHING wrong with the OPTION of getting things for free with ads or CHOOSING to pay a buck to have them removed.

Besides security and privacy, which I'm currently on the fence as to if it's actually the most private and secure, I don't see the point of BBM, well besides not having to give out number. But other than that, other IM services have what BBM has and more, for free. Only thing I don't know if others have is timed messages and glympse.

Posted via CB10
    11-17-14 12:06 AM
    Wait for Bleep to be out of alpha and works on BB10 and then you'll have a great and very secure IM app.

I'm also frustrated with BBM for many reasons, channels being one of them, stupid notifications for stickers another one, and so on.

Posted via CB10
    11-17-14 12:20 AM
    I am a little disappointed with their approach here too. Not sure why they removed screen sharing from BlackBerry BBM. I've also noticed video quality on BBM video has been downgraded a bit.

Seems like they are definitely chasing the $ sign, and any cost of BBM isn't factored in to the sale price of a BlackBerry device.

On the bright side it makes it easier to give up trying to make my contacts switch.

Posted via CB10
    Couldn't have said it any better myself. Please, anyone wishing to debate us here, spare us the rhetoric of "well if you want anything you gotta pay for it!!!!1111". This could easily turn into a case of BlackBerry trying to make BBM run before it has perfected walking.

If they begin to further cripple BBM's once free features for regular consumers while banking on enterprise customers paying for it, this could easily fall apart very quickly. Supposing enterprise sales for BBM Meetings, Protected, etc. do not meet expectations and stagnate all the while they've alienated the consumer base, where do they turn?

Do not get me wrong, I am not against BBM monetization, but it must be done in such a way that both sides of the customer realm stay relatively happy. I just see the average consumer being forgotten here. If you give people a product without some features to entice them into a paid version of it, you've lost half the battle already. Focus on enterprise or not, it would just be a bad move to do this.

Remember when BBM first hit cross platform? I do. I remember the announcements and promises made for upcoming free features. While any business must adapt to market changes and take its time to perfect a product, I would feel very taken aback if say something like cross platform video became a BBM meetings only feature, without any form of comprise for the consumer (Eg limit free cross-platform calls to a one to one situation).

Posted via CB10
    11-17-14 04:16 AM
    Wait for Bleep to be out of alpha and works on BB10 and then you'll have a great and very secure IM app.

I'm also frustrated with BBM for many reasons, channels being one of them, stupid notifications for stickers another one, and so on.

Posted via CB10
    Just did a quick search on Bleep IM. I cannot see anywhere a mention of BlackBerry being supported? Unless of course you mean running the Android version from here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ittorrent.chat?
    11-17-14 01:20 PM
    That's correct. It currently doesn't work on BB10

Posted via CB10
    11-17-14 02:25 PM
    I've been frustrated with BBM for a long time as well.

BBM iOS still doesn't have group notification mute, video sharing.

BBM groups can't share anything but pictures.

There no unread messages bookmark.

Right now besides the occasional bbm voice I don't use bbm anymore.

Groups to me if the most important feature of all. It allows the app to spread. But they have left groups as it is for so long.

Groups has no Glympse, location, video, file sharing and the pictures are just annoying.

Posted via CB10
    11-18-14 04:21 PM
    So many issues, so many Bugs on cross platform BBM. The group and multi-person chats need to be revamped they make no sense and the lack of file, media and location sharing has caused many of my friends to leave. Sharing Posts from BBM Channels doesn't work. BBM Video never came to cross-platform, glympse works horribly, no multi picture upload, when entering a chat it doesn't take you to the last chat you read, gif files don't work properly when sent or when saved as a group picture... and let's not mention the fact Windows users have been abandones with a substandard version of BBM... I can go on and on and on...

Posted via CB10
    11-18-14 10:00 PM
    Actually on iOS, i don't think it's BlackBerry 's' fault, because most of the time, after bbm is minimized for awhile, when i send something, there's not even a notification on the iPhone, the app have to be opened, and then after a couple of seconds, the message comes in. Shutting down minimized app is a strength @ apple.

Posted via CB10
    11-20-14 03:29 PM