Sure there's a share file feature, bit with the 16 mgb cap, that takes most videos off the table. My wife's family would have made the switch from What's App to Bbm yesterday when it was discovered they had to pay to keep what's app going, but figured the dollar was worth being able to wend videos.

He posted from his sleek Z30.
    12-05-14 12:51 PM
    I'd like to see them simply integrate with an existing cloud video site like vimeo or youtube, so you could share video with them and it would simply upload to the site and send a direct private link in bbm. Done properly, could also save on bandwidth and make resharing easier.

Posted via CB, secret level Z30
    12-06-14 05:41 PM
    Well it would be nice if you could share video with one click of a button like with pictures. A lot of people assume they can't since you have to browse for it yourself.

And there should be an auto compression to the video so it doesn't exceed
    16mb
    12-06-14 06:47 PM
    Well it would be nice if you could share video with one click of a button like with pictures. A lot of people assume they can't since you have to browse for it yourself.

And there should be an auto compression to the video so it doesn't exceed
    16mb
    Then you wold have people flipping out because of the loss of quality from the compression.
    12-06-14 06:53 PM
    I've found the app video shrinker does a decent job of compression and still keeping the quality of the video (while viewing on the small screen of a phone). Most of my videos I've sent through via BBM are 30 second clips compressed down to under 6mb files

Posted via CB10
    12-06-14 07:51 PM
    What we need is
    A) the ability to record videos in 240, 360 and 480p
    B) the ability to rescale videos to the above resolutions using the built in video editor

A) would make it easy to "snap" videos under 16mb
    B) would make it easy to rescale existing videos to acceptable sizes

Side note: That being said, you can rescale images by emailing them to yourself (so the feature obviously exists) but you can't rescale images using the photo editor...

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.1154
    12-06-14 08:24 PM
    They should partner with a could storage provider, to transparently temporarily host the video in a one-to-one streamable format, so that the receiver can (almost) instantly start playing the video within the BBM chat without actually having to receive the entire thing, and without ever having to receive the whole thing if they don't want to watch the whole thing.

The video file would be kept for a few hours or days after it was first played.

Posted via CB10
    12-06-14 11:37 PM
    They should partner with a could storage provider, to transparently temporarily host the video in a one-to-one streamable format, so that the receiver can (almost) instantly start playing the video within the BBM chat without actually having to receive the entire thing, and without ever having to receive the whole thing if they don't want to watch the whole thing.

The video file would be kept for a few hours or days after it was first played.

Posted via CB10
    Can't you do something like that using dropbox within bbm?

12-07-14 03:23 AM
    Can't you do something like that using dropbox within bbm?

No, you still have to click on a link, which opens a browser, which downloads the file, and then plays it.

I want the video to stream (without having to download the whole thing), within the bbm chat window.

Posted via CB10
    12-10-14 11:03 AM
    In that case, id prefer the torrent protocol vs any 3rd party storage provider

Regardless, the option to convert videos to or record in 240,360,480p resolutions solves the size problem... and 480p is plenty good enough quality for most of the stuff I want to share..

12-10-14 11:51 AM
    In that case, id prefer the torrent protocol vs any 3rd party storage provider

Regardless, the option to convert videos to or record in 240,360,480p resolutions solves the size problem... and 480p is plenty good enough quality for most of the stuff I want to share..

Video conversion takes time and is resource intensive. You don't want to have to do that on a battery-powered mobile device. Better to offload all intensive processing to a server.

Posted via CB10
    12-10-14 03:49 PM
    Video conversion takes time and is resource intensive. You don't want to have to do that on a battery-powered mobile device. Better to offload all intensive processing to a server.

Posted via CB10
    Edited:
    Soo.. by your logic we should just get rid of the video editor altogether...??
    You make it sound like I'm trying to convert between formats or something.. lol.. you do know that uploading takes resources as well, right? And I bet it takes longer to upload a 1 minute 1080p video than it does to convert it to 360

Yea, let's use your idea.. let's upload videosthat are 2mb/second... to a youtube like service..

There's no reason I want to send a quick 7 second video and should be forced upload 10-15 mb. I would either choose to record the video in a lower resolution or (if I had already recorded it in HD) id just rescale it before sending..

So if I'm reading you correctly
    - you'd rather continue to upload 1+mb/second
    - you reject the addition of scaling videos to be added to the video editor.. because it's a mobile device..? (so why is the mobile device incapable of natively generating mobile quality videos? Mobile quality meaning ig, vine, snapchat, bbm, facebook.)
    - no comment on the ability to record in lower resolutions

Last edited by nah.uhh; 12-10-14 at 05:46 PM.
    12-10-14 05:30 PM
    You're kidding right? Have you tried to edit a large video? It takes quite a long time and is battery draining. I can usually upload a 100MB video much faster than it takes to save after editing.

Plus, resampling and downscaling is not as straightforward of an operation as changing contrast (which is just a histogram manipulation).

My point is that servers can perform the downscaling much faster, and if the bandwidth of the viewer permits, it may not even be necessary since they will be able to stream at high quality.

The main problem with your (and BBM's) archaic file transfer protocol is that it requires both the viewer to accept the video and wait for the whole thing to download. A much better solution is to temporarily store it in a server capable of downscaling and streaming down when the viewer clicks on it.

Posted via CB10
    12-11-14 09:20 AM