11-14-13 03:50 PM
288 ... 89101112
tools
    Been using BBM for several hours now with few contacts and must admit this is a very good IM program. Would gladly pay to use this. Good job on the 2nd launch. All is forgiven.
    10-27-13 04:56 AM
    Used for a more than month - deleted now. Contact list contains 9 persons, no chats, just battery drain
    10-27-13 06:19 AM
    Guys, I have a question about the bbm and other apps like whatsapp. It seems to me that one advantage of an SMS application over another would be whether that application works over your data plan on your mobile device and/or wifi. If I understand it, bbm works over both data and wifi. Does whatsapp work over both or just your data plan. Sometimes you have a data connection and sometimes you have a wifi connection. It would be nice to have an SMS application that can switch from one to the other if you're not in range of one of those types of connection. So if bbm works over both would that not be in advantage?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    10-27-13 07:15 AM
    Guys, I have a question about the bbm and other apps like whatsapp. It seems to me that one advantage of an SMS application over another would be whether that application works over your data plan on your mobile device and/or wifi. If I understand it, bbm works over both data and wifi. Does whatsapp work over both or just your data plan. Sometimes you have a data connection and sometimes you have a wifi connection. It would be nice to have an SMS application that can switch from one to the other if you're not in range of one of those types of connection. So if bbm works over both would that not be in advantage?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    WhatsApp works over both also.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk
    10-27-13 07:27 AM
    Are you sure? I thought whatsapp was only data plan?
    WhatsApp works over both also.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk
    10-27-13 07:54 AM
    Are you sure? I thought whatsapp was only data plan?
    It definitely works over wifi. I turn off cell data when traveling and still use whatsapp and iMessage.
    10-27-13 07:59 AM
    Many cross platform messaging apps have Delivery and Read notifications. Please try and post knowledgeably.
    I could say the same for you

Posted via CB10
    10-27-13 08:12 AM
    Enterprise is the focus. Thus they are not going to have it mine one's address book. I predict.
    I am writing an app right now. And I refuse to mine anyone's address book and send those emails/phone numbers to the server just to get a everyone connected. There are privacy laws in some countries that would make that illegal. I guess WA users don't mind their phone numbers available. It is a stupid system and an open security hole.
    R Field likes this.
    10-27-13 08:38 AM
    ===========
    ...since 400 million people worldwide use WhatsApp, itís the best solution.
    ===========

One of the stupidest and most irrational things I have ever read in a tech column. With this kind of sophistry one simply can't take the article seriously.
    We all know what they mean.

"The best IM service is the one that all your friends are using."

And from that perspective, they're bang on.
    10-27-13 08:40 AM
    I am writing an app right now. And I refuse to mine anyone's address book and send those emails/phone numbers to the server just to get a everyone connected. There are privacy laws in some countries that would make that illegal. I guess WA users don't mind their phone numbers available. It is a stupid system and an open security hole.
    WhatsApp isn't the only other IM app out there being used by a ton of people. Skype has like 250M+ users, and they don't use Phone Numbers yet they still maintain a huge active user base.

I don't understand what the infatuation is with trying to constantly use WhatsApp's Phone Number matching as a reason to use BBM for. A lot of people don't even use WhatsApp, yet still won't bother to use this app, and they don't have any issues with an app stealing their address book to match contacts because the service they use doesn't do that...

The native functionality in PIM/Cloud services has made those "productivity" features of BBM pretty much worthless given the restrictions, and have been available for years now.

@ SkyDrive you can share/collaboratively edit documents. You can share entire OneNote Notebooks with a group, not just To-Do Lists. Any decent PIM can share calendars now. Google's service can do a lot of the same stuff, and iCloud has sharing built-in now. You can do it with more than 30 people if necessary.
    Last edited by n8ter#AC; 10-27-13 at 08:58 AM.
    10-27-13 08:47 AM
    We all know what they mean.

"The best IM service is the one that all your friends are using."

And from that perspective, they're bang on.
    There is definitely a point to that.

My BBM contact list had dwindled to the point that only my wife and 2 close friends were regular BBM correspondents by last month. That was down from over a hundred over the past 2 years. BBM was becoming pretty useless since virtually none of my friends were on BB and only a few clients remained (albeit important clients that kept me on BBM). With BBM4ALL, hopefully we'll see the user base increase enough to make BBM relevant again.
    10-27-13 09:10 AM
    I wish we could opt out of read notification. If I don't want to answer you, I don't and you annoying me by demanding answers will only make me more inclined to NEVER answer you. It's why I barely used BBM on any of my BBs

Sent from my LG-E973 using Tapatalk
    10-27-13 09:32 AM
    Curious where you live that you can get unlimited sms. I'm guessing you just think you can get it. Most people I know that use whatsapp get it because there is an extra charge to communicate with people in other countries that can be quite substantial if you do it a lot. I'm from Canada and to travel to the US for just a week I always have to get an unlimited texting plan and pay 40 bucks for it. My wife has to do the same thing so each trip we take out of country costs us at least 80 bucks just to send text messages to each other. Which is kind of ridiculous when you think about it.

I would venture to say that most people that use any of these services do it to escape texting plans (especially when traveling) so to compare any of them to sms is crazy.
    10-27-13 10:05 AM
    Most people I know use them cause they're widely used. Anyone on a family share plan has unlimited sms/mms. Most people without have unlimited sms/mms. Most on regional carriers have unlimited here as well. A lot of people don't travel internationally, nor do they camp forums for random contacts and pin/uid spam.

They just use sms/mms cause it works with literally everyone, and to them there is no extra cost as it comes with the plan.

Carriers have tied unlimited mobile to mobile into their texting plans so if you talk on the phone quite a bit, you don't save anything by dropping the texting plan but paying for a higher rate plan to make up for the lack of unlimited mobile to mobile, and may even be forced to pay to early nights just to make up the difference on top of that.

WhatsApp isn't so massively popular here because a lot of people don't have the need to escape texting plans. The carriers have structured their plans in a way that it makes no sense to forego them in most cases.

Sent from my Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 4
    10-27-13 10:12 AM
    Actually Skype has now changed and MSN contacts and Skype contacts are now together......and you can use numbers because I use it........
    10-27-13 10:16 AM
    for the starters who are "the verge"?
    might be because i'm from the UK, but ive never heard of this verge thing. they sound like a failed 90s band
    DuexNoir likes this.
    10-27-13 11:15 AM
    I've stopped going to these "tech" sites for any sort of reviews. Firstly, I look at the actual specs, go to the store to see it for myself, and make up my own opinion based on my needs. (In the case of apps, I download, try, and decide) I find these reviews never correctly reflect on what it is that I would like in my device. Often, if not always, I end up with what I like - don't need third party reviews. Besides, if I dislike it then I can always return the item within reasonable time. What I do do sometimes is quickly check to see if anyone reports any major defects they encounter of potential device - if there's a chalk full of major technical defects posted then I may take a second thought about getting it (and this is only on technical defects and not "opinionated" defects).

I would never ever use apps like Whatsapp, which mines my contacts list. I hate any apps that try to get into any of my contacts, files, etc. (I always turn all those options off) because I have business clients in my contacts and would hate for apps to compromise any security or privacy issues.
    10-27-13 11:32 AM
    they are going nuts
    10-27-13 12:27 PM
    Yes i mean it ,there are few things missing in BBM which will be updated and need to be addressed,but saying that superiority over whats app is definitely there
    10-27-13 12:30 PM
    The design IS ugly, they followed NO app guidelines. They put a Blackberry looking app on my ios7 phone - why isn't the app full screen like ios7 apps should be?, it just doesn't go! Same for android, no holo design.
    kenshaw likes this.
    10-27-13 12:32 PM
    The design IS ugly, they followed NO app guidelines. They put a Blackberry looking app on my ios7 phone - why isn't the app full screen like ios7 apps should be?, it just doesn't go! Same for android, no holo design.
    It isn't just that, navigation isn't even consistent.

On the Chat List you can swipe from both edges. One edge to get to updates, etc. and the other edge to get to settings. In the chat, you can swipe from left edge to go back to Chat List (but no indication that this is possible) but there is no swiping from the other edge to get to Ping, etc.

The Navigation is inconsistent, the Action Bar is ugly and waste screen real-estate by using Text + Image (do BB users actually need text under a paper clip to know that is a button to attach a file, or send under that button to know that's for sending the message?).

Settings and Profile/Status dialogs certainly do not follow conventions.

Huge Chat Bubbles that look completely foreign and do not behave the way you expect them, grouping messages together in a way that makes it hard to select and copy one out of the bunch...

No configurable text sizes which makes reading in the app a bit of an eye-sore (text too small), with emoticons you can hardly make out without a magnifying glass.
    10-27-13 12:50 PM
    One of my favorite non-sense is the way that file sharing work.
    If you try to share something through BBM, it will let you share only picture or voice memo (with a stupid limit of 6Mo despite the fact that some mobiles take pictures that weigh more than that). To share other types of files, you have to use a file manager and use the sharing function which will let you send it through BBM.

And NO, that's not a bug. On the description of the app on the market they say that you can send files other than pictures.
    10-27-13 02:19 PM
    Are you using android or iOS? I cannot seem to send a video file period. Whether thru the app or my photo album.
    10-27-13 02:47 PM
    I'm using the Android version.

Can you see if the official description on the app store says that you can share files other than picture/voice memo ? On the Android version it's clearly stated so, maybe, it's Android only.

PS : I tried with the Gallery app and it works for me. Either with official app or quickpic
    10-27-13 03:04 PM
    Couldn't agree more, I'm starting to find the app irritating (I have been eagerly awaiting bbm for the iPhone since 2008).

I also find the placement of the emoticon button to be completely asinine, I keep hitting it instead of the execute/send button (when the action bar is present).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    10-27-13 06:48 PM
288 ... 89101112