Attachment 214480

Account activation: BBM waiting in line for 12-24 hrs or more, other – instantly
    Share location: BBM is BB to BB only, Skype – no, WA/Viber – yes
    Cross-platform voice calling: BBM – no, other – yes
    Desktop client: BBM, WA – no, Skype/Viber – yes
    Those tables are absolutely worthless because they were specifically designed to make BBM look good while ignoring a ton of features (which are a lot more useful than "Personal Status Stream" and "Easy Status Updating" - which others actually DO have, BTW...) from the list of features.

I'm not even going to go over it, cause the list would be way to long to type out...

Would you like me to make one so you can see how it truly stacks up?
    10-26-13 11:24 AM
    When something is selling well, expect haters.
    What is selling?
    Bbm is free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    10-26-13 11:29 AM
    Exactly. That's the reason the review sucks. They treat core functionality like something waaaay less important than Hello Kitty stickers. Tells you something about the calibre of the reviewer and the publication.

Posted via CB10
    The issue is almost all of these messaging apps are great at delivering "core functionality." This is why they have moved to the feature race. There is not much to differentiate yourself with WTF core messaging functionality anymore. UI/UX and feature support is where it's at.

Reviewing a messaging app and wasting it on talk about "core messaging functionality" is a waste of a review.

They didn't even mention some of the issues a lot of people have been having since the launch, so IMO they were quite kind to the Android/iOS port...
    10-26-13 11:36 AM
    So how do you get people using one messaging app over another? Features.
    It is the truth.
    10-26-13 11:48 AM
    Maybe you can on your Z10, but I can't on my 5S.
    maybe theres an app for that....
    10-26-13 12:01 PM
    maybe theres an app for that....
    Isn't that the problem? There are apps that can do this ... BBM isn't one of them right now.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk
    10-26-13 12:33 PM
    So how do you get people using one messaging app over another? Features.
    It is the truth.
    I think BB did the right thing by putting out an MVP for now. I still have serious doubts about their software development skills, particularly on iOS and Android. So they needed to start somewhere.

But on the other hand, reviewers are right to point out that the average consumer has other choices still and some of those choices are more mature.
    10-26-13 12:39 PM
    hangouts and facebook chat both have similar read receipt notifications for starters. I am not saying they have read sent and delivered but they do some of this. Whatsapp does have delivered for sure to.

BBMx is a start but its still missing basics. Heck there is no contact sort on Android BBM even
    I think the reason to not use Hangouts and Facebook for your IM is if you don't want those companies reading and storing your messages for current and future monetization plans. For both Google and Facebook you are the customer. Access to you and by extension to your money is what they sell to their customers. That is the main reason I would prefer to use iMessage and BBM. Neither Apple or BBRY is in the business of selling its users.
    kupfernigk likes this.
    10-26-13 01:45 PM
    I think the reason to not use Hangouts and Facebook for your IM is if you don't want those companies reading and storing your messages for current and future monetization plans. For both Google and Facebook you are the customer. Access to you and by extension to your money is what they sell to their customers. That is the main reason I would prefer to use iMessage and BBM. Neither Apple or BBRY is in the business of selling its users.
    At some point, BBRY will want to monetize BBM so don't set your expectations too high about that.

Apple uses iMessage as feature to sell hardware so the situation isn't the same.
    AlexXF likes this.
    10-26-13 01:59 PM
    It's kinda humorous to me that BB die hards think there couldn't possibly, even several years after BBM was introduced, be software that does similar stuff that BBM does. BlackBerry will find that, in it's absence, the world has moved on.
    10-26-13 02:22 PM
    Lets see:

Non IM apps
    Facebook : read news and see people updates. Check
    Twitter : read and see people's posts in a single channel. a little bit of that with BBM channels

IM apps
    Skype, Viber, and tango: free voice and video chat/call. Check
    whatsapp : an Sms app that allows you to send free text and to share files. Oh! and you can change your background. Check (lacking the background change ability)

Put them all in a Blender and ad Security and you will get BBM on BlackBerry 10 devices. So i'd say that BBM right now is the most complete and compact IM app out there, of course, that's assuming all of it's current features on BB10 goes to cross platform version.

Observation:
    Sending friend request can be improve.
    Ability to change the background can be done.

I personally hate the last seen stuff, i don't want everyone on my contact list to know whether or not i was up at 5 am, or whether or not i'm ignoring someone, cause even tho you don't read someones message, they can tell if you were using WA and you just didn't reply. I don't want a random person to fill my number in their IM app and immediately start seeing info about me, ETC.
    Pete The Penguin likes this.
    10-26-13 02:37 PM
    At some point, BBRY will want to monetize BBM so don't set your expectations too high about that.

Apple uses iMessage as feature to sell hardware so the situation isn't the same.
    100% correct! Cross-platform BBM does not helps to sell more BB10 devices. Definitely it helps migrate from BB devices to Android/iOS.

So, where is a profit?

If you get Apple device (for example), you've get iMessage and BBM. If you purchase BB device, you've get BBM only. Cross-platform BBM is benefit for Apple, not for BBRY.
    10-26-13 02:38 PM
    what do you mean with contact sharing ?
    10-26-13 02:39 PM
    what do you mean with contact sharing ?
    Share a contact from address book? (not possible at cross-platform BBM, but possible with WhatsApp)
    10-26-13 02:41 PM
    It's kinda humorous to me that BB die hards think there couldn't possibly, even several years after BBM was introduced, be software that does similar stuff that BBM does. BlackBerry will find that, in it's absence, the world has moved on.
    So the fact that its topping the free app charts means nothing? Not everyone tests every app rigorously. Some folks just "like" BBM. Some people drink Budweiser. Its a brand people know, like, and trust.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    shaleem and solitude1984 like this.
    10-26-13 02:49 PM
    Lets see:

Non IM apps
    Facebook : read news and see people updates. Check
    Twitter : read and see people's posts in a single channel. a little bit of that with BBM channels

IM apps
    Skype, Viber, and tango: free voice and video chat/call. Check
    whatsapp : an Sms app that allows you to send free text and to share files. Oh! and you can change your background. Check (lacking the background change ability)

Put them all in a Blender and ad Security and you will get BBM on BlackBerry 10 devices. So i'd say that BBM right now is the most complete and compact IM app out there, of course, that's assuming all of it's current features on BB10 goes to cross platform version.
    I'm not even sure about that.
    ChatON has individual chanel where you can post update and content (picture, vid�o, ...) and professional chanels where you can read news and comment them.
    You can do voice and video chat, share any file, calendar activities, voice memo, position, contact or animated message.
    The app can be highly customised and texting part is really good with receive/read notifications, pop-up notifications, list of all shared files by contact, group chat, ...
    And you can suscribe with your email.

So BBM on BB10 isn't the only one to be really mature.

PS : add to the list that ChatON is already available for Android, iOS, WP7/8, BB7, Bada and has a browser based version for all other OS...
    10-26-13 02:53 PM
    I think that's a little too rough, but the bottom line is there really isn't anything compelling about BBM at this time. Hopefully in the future it will be better but right now there are too many other options with better features.
    10-26-13 02:53 PM
    100% correct! Cross-platform BBM does not helps to sell more BB10 devices. Definitely it helps migrate from BB devices to Android/iOS.

So, where is a profit?

If you get Apple device (for example), you've get iMessage and BBM. If you purchase BB device, you've get BBM only. Cross-platform BBM is benefit for Apple, not for BBRY.
    Indeed.
    People need to remember that BBM will be a separate company floated from the Blackberry split.
    BBM will have its own revenue stream but will have no bearing (or interest) in promoting BB10 handset or infrastructure sales.
    10-26-13 02:56 PM
    Oh, I love it how "Not truly multi-platform " had an impact on the overall review of BBM.

I really wonder how much iMessage would have scored.
    10-26-13 03:03 PM
    I would have to say that this is an accurate review, though I wouldn't doubt that the author was hoping the underdog (BBRY) would fail.

If you have BB10, BBM is freaking awesome. If you don't have BB10, BBM is "just another messaging app".

Video calling and screen sharing are two MUSTS that BBM needs to capture the messaging app market. Adding Channels and BBM Money will make BBM curb-stomp the competition, giving users a unique suite of features. And this is the first time this year I have used "curb-stomp" to describe something, so that's really saying something...
    southlander and paper_monkey like this.
    10-26-13 03:15 PM
    I'm not even sure about that.
    ChatON has individual chanel where you can post update and content (picture, vid�o, ...) and professional chanels where you can read news and comment them.
    You can do voice and video chat, share any file, calendar activities, voice memo, position, contact or animated message.
    The app can be highly customised and texting part is really good with receive/read notifications, pop-up notifications, list of all shared files by contact, group chat, ...
    And you can suscribe with your email.

So BBM on BB10 isn't the only one to be really mature.

PS : add to the list that ChatON is already available for Android, iOS, WP7/8, BB7, Bada and has a browser based version for all other OS...
    Part of the reason people here are surprised by the horrible reviews is because they're clearly oblivious of the better options that exist out there. Once they educate themselves, they will better understand why people are a bit meh about it.

It's not hard to top download numbers when you are riding on the coat tail of nostalgia and name recognition. What will be nice to see if how many of those users they retain and how they compete moving forward with solutions that have already leapfrogged them.

No one cares about Channels but BBRY fan boys... SMBs are on Facebook and Twitter - JUST now really starting to move to Google+. I don't see them Buying Blackberries or signing up to this so that they can use Channels, and I don't see my friends signing up for it either, seeing as how I literally had to force the few that tried BBM with me to install and try that.

The good thing about the BBM launch is that it gets you in the mood to try other alternatives. Sometimes you get burnt out with trying different apps out, but figure if you can try one why not try a few more :-P

BB/BB Channels is already almost 2 years late to the Social Messaging Market. ChatOn, Line, and others have already been there for quite a while...
    10-26-13 03:15 PM
    I thought the review was fair. Let's be honest, BBM on iOS has basic functionality. I've been trying to convince friends to get on BBM (most of them had blackberries a few years ago) and they simply do not care about BBM anymore, considering there are simpler and more robust alternatives already available. BBM needs to release updates/upgrades very soon or this momentum they have built up will come to a screeching halt. I sincerely hope they succeed because the more competition, the better for all consumers.

What BBM currently has over other cross-platform messaging apps is security. While this is great, not many people care about this, and to be honest, most that do are just being paranoid and do not really need it. If the government has a reason to spy on you, BBM is not going to keep your information secure.
    10-26-13 03:20 PM
    The app is a disappointment in many ways so far. The two most important of which for me is It "requires GPS" so won't work on the kid's iPods, and it is stuck in portrait mode only. Even after I modified the app and enabled landscape mode, it crashes while viewing the contact list every single time. Even the 9530 Storm had auto rotation for BBM.

Sorry, but if I wanted to be forced to type on a touchscreen in portrait mode, I would have kept the LEZ10s I had

Me, I like options, so everything on my Nexus 4 works in either orientation. I modify them myself using the phone, and every app I've done it with has worked flawlessly except for cross platform BBM. I already have SMS/MMS, hangouts and email. I don't need BBM stuck straight up and down. Especially not when it can't even be used to talk to my children's iPods.

I uninstalled it, but will check it out again if they ever make it easily work on iPods.
    10-26-13 03:21 PM
    BlackBerry have a fix on the apple app store for the "contact" crashiing
    10-26-13 03:26 PM
    I would have to say that this is an accurate review, though I wouldn't doubt that the author was hoping the underdog (BBRY) would fail.

If you have BB10, BBM is freaking awesome. If you don't have BB10, BBM is "just another messaging app".

Video calling and screen sharing are two MUSTS that BBM needs to capture the messaging app market. Adding Channels and BBM Money will make BBM curb-stomp the competition, giving users a unique suite of features. And this is the first time this year I have used "curb-stomp" to describe something, so that's really saying something...

See at 3:17 :

You will be happy (or not) to see that ChatON has already vid�o calling and screen sharing features.
    10-26-13 03:33 PM
288 ... 678910 ...