To me the design looks like what you would expect in a corporate system (usually not very good and not very polished), as compared to what you would see from a consumer products company.

I would hope they will improve the design over time. The questions I would be asking are:

1. Is BB staffed to make a great consumer friendly design?
    2. Is it really a good idea to make an iOS app or an Android that looks like it belongs in a completely different OS?
    Completely agree with this. I find it very out of place using iOS 7. I think they are trying to get those users to like the interface and try out a BB10 device. If that is the case, then I think they missed the boat on the cross platform messaging opportunity. Being an IOS user, I want it to feel like its part of the OS and not just an add on.
    DenverRalphy likes this.
    10-25-13 04:27 PM
    Honestly did anyone expect the Cross platform BBM to be perfect out of the gate? People should take a deep breath and chill. With time the BBMX will be robust. It's no different from other products or services that have launched; heck even since the iOS 7 came out, I have had 3 updates to date. BlackBerry has a road map that it is following through, which at the moment might not make sense. Always remember, it's not how you start the race but how you finish the race that matters.
    10-25-13 04:30 PM
    What freaks me out is the thought that, despite the fact that I never joined WhatsApp in my life, all my friends have me on their address books. Some of them joined WhatsApp resulting in all my data (phone numbers, mail addresses, BB pin numbers and residential/business addresses) possibly now being stored somewhere in cyberspace on a WhatsApp server. Did I ever consent to that?
    10-25-13 04:34 PM
    Hahaha. Please name the app that I haven't used. Ain't you making an assumption? Please name the app or device. I am anxiously waiting for your answer.

On a serious note, when was the last time you had an EYE CHECKUP?

From the previous reply of yours that I already replied to, you have obviously not used the app. You're basically taking offense to a subject in which you are completely ignorant.

Am I an expert? Pshaw, I never professed to be. But I am acquainted enough to make an objective evaluation, whereas you're just working off of desire without experience.

SwiftKeyed/Flowed via Tapatalk 4 Beta
    10-25-13 04:36 PM
    Hahaha. Please name the app that I haven't used. Ain't you making an assumption? Please name the app or device. I am anxiously waiting for your answer.

On a serious note, when was the last time you had an EYE CHECKUP?
    Now you're reaching. You were obviously wrong earlier.

Name the app you haven't used? Easy. You haven't used the Android/iOS BBM apps since you have demonstrated a complete lack of familiarity with them.

So you may now relieve your anxiety. Eyes are fine. Thanks for your concern though.

PFman and Saiga like this.
    10-25-13 05:00 PM
    BBM was genuinely amazing 5/6 years ago, but the world really has moved on, and what BBM is offering to Android and iPhone users today seems less polished than what we had on our BlackBerrys years ago.

I've had a few friends add BBM to their iPhone at my request. To be honest they're a little underwhelmed and are wondering what all the fuss is about. I'm sure it will improve, but it's pretty basic at the moment and notifications seems to be an issue in that they have very little control.

I've been using whatsapp for a year or so now - forced into it because so few of my friends had a BlackBerry. During that time it has proven to be reasonably reliable, so much so that I stopped missing BBM. Of course I do hope BBM picks up again, but I think the review is pretty accurate - for those not familiar with BBM it is not really any better than anything else out there, and it is less intuitive.
    10-25-13 05:15 PM
    Lmao!! You are ABSOLUTELY wrong. I own apple product and even my kids have Apples & Androids.
    Just to prove you wrong, kindly invite this BB pin XXXXXXXX and see who will respond to you. You can subsequently delete the invite after I prove you wrong.

Next time refrain from making hasty assumption.

Now you're reaching. You were obviously wrong earlier.

Name the app you haven't used? Easy. You haven't used the Android/iOS BBM apps since you have demonstrated a complete lack of familiarity with them.

So you may now relieve your anxiety. Eyes are fine. Thanks for your concern though.

Last edited by wincyUt; 10-25-13 at 06:39 PM.
    10-25-13 05:21 PM
    Lmao!! You are ABSOLUTELY wrong. I own apple product and even my kids have Apples & Androids.
    Just to prove you wrong, kindly invite this BB pin 7B58E4E8 and see who will respond to you. You can subsequently delete the invite after I prove you wrong.

Next time refrain from making hasty assumption.
    And yet... your solution to an issue was to change the font size. If you were familiar with the app, you would have been aware that there is no option to do so.
    PFman and Saiga like this.
    10-25-13 05:28 PM
    hangouts and facebook chat both have similar read receipt notifications for starters. I am not saying they have read sent and delivered but they do some of this. Whatsapp does have delivered for sure to.

BBMx is a start but its still missing basics. Heck there is no contact sort on Android BBM even
    What's app does not show delivered first checkmark means got to server second checkmark means sent from server it does not confirm delivery to the recipient

Posted with BlackBerry Z10
    10-25-13 05:34 PM
    Line.
    10char
    wait i forgot this site doesnt quote in reply ****
    10-25-13 05:43 PM
    My wife has an iPhone 5 and she has downloaded BBM and tried it out talking with me instead of SMS and, but she just can't get used to using it.

She talks to everyone through SMS or iMessage so for her to go into BBM and chat with me is just too much of a change from her. Someone earlier in this thread said the app feels like a bolt on because it uses the BB10 UI and doesn't feel like an integrated part of the OS like chatting via SMS or iMessage. She can't get used to the change and can't justify using it just to talk to me and then SMS/iMessage for everyone else. She likes everything in one place on the Messages app. There are probably tons of other users like her out there.

IMO, cross platform BBM should have been out two years ago and it needs to be on WP8 and a desktop client. Maybe (hopefully) these are planned.
    10-25-13 06:20 PM
    they posted another one about the fake reviews BBM for Android's Google Play page tarnished by hundreds of fake reviews | The Verge
    BlackBerry's BBM app was downloaded 10 million times within 24 hours, but at least on Android, some of its many positive reviews seem to come from a less than savory source. Writer Matt Baxter-Reynolds noted yesterday that a huge number of reviews contained the exact same praise for BBM:
    Thank you so much blackberry team. I was waiting this app. Its really great user friendly and smooth
    Blogger Terence Eden looked through more reviews and found more evidence that somebody was astroturfing the Play Store. In addition to the sheer numbers he found, at least one person seemed to have accidentally copied and pasted more of the text than intended: "Dear Mr Ahmed, please post the following comment on the new BlackBerry Messenger APP..."
    10-25-13 06:22 PM
    Meh.....I'm happily using it. My contacts are happily using it. That's all that matters to me, really.
    10-25-13 06:24 PM
    I personally do not believe in reviews. i do not think that anyone especially with free app like bbm would not give it at least a try based on theverge.com review. obviously some of say negative points like the app looks is personal and it is not objective. so is the thing with invitation. some just do not care about security. i do.
    10-25-13 06:38 PM
    Meh.....I'm happily using it. My contacts are happily using it. That's all that matters to me, really.
    That's what keeps me using it.
    10-25-13 06:39 PM
    It may be semantic but they do have a point, it's not so much cross platform as multi platform. And to the people who have contacts that use Windows phones it is most certainly an issue.. I love BBM but if it was not able to replace my current messaging solution then I'm not just going to add yet another layer to my messaging solution just because it's BBM.

And more importantly, when did Friend become a bloody verb??? You don't 'friend' or 'unfriend' someone, you are their friend or you are not.. More likely than not I'm just getting old and crusty but why take a perfectly good noun and try to make it a verb?
    LOL.... Oh no....you are SO wrong. The review should have consisted of Pmccartney's first 3 points.\;-)

The worst things about BBM of all: it's brought out of some of the most extreme attitudes I've seen at CB....it's like giving the small man just a tiny bit of power....or in this case, a piece of news which while not bad, is not particularly meaningful! ie. You're about to get thrown out of your house, you have no job, no income, no realistic prospects, BUT you got a pretty good response to a free video you put on the internet! If you had the chance to pursue this, it could indeed have the potential to become a successful thing which could generate enough income to feed you - though not your family - nor will you be able to save your house....

Well enough reality - let's just say, the hubris, and acting-out lately is a real downer on something finally going not wrong for BB. You just wish some people could have enough wits about them to keep on a half-even keel. These posters are like wild ADHD kids are a Maury Povich show......somebody says anything and screaming, cheering, booing, and other histrionics ensue immediately without the slightest thought! :-)

Too bad we can't just take it for what it is. A successful relaunch of BBM. The waiting list was not good, but as I said at the time, probably not terribly significant in the long run. If you like BBM, this is a good thing, and makes it possible (though far from guaranteed, that BBM may exist on in some form). For BB the company, nothing has changed at all. BBM could not even begin, even if wildly successful (which we will need months to see....and frankly, I think is an extreme long-shot) it could no sustain the company - not even close. On top of all that, the future of any BBM development itself rests on what happens to the sale...so we are still waiting on that. It would be good, if wherever BBM ends up, it ends up with an entity who wishes to keep developing it, and become a competitor to whatsapp and others.

PS. If all your contacts are now on BBM like some are claiming - you really need to get out more - you run in VERY small circles, which would help explain some of the warped perspective....
    huckleberry_Jer likes this.
    10-25-13 06:41 PM
    Well I don't know what issues you were having with the fonts as you stated because I certainly don't have those issues. And since we are talking about the same app then it's highly likely that maybe it has to do with something else. Mine is every legible and yours is not, so what's your possible explanation?

By the way, are you going to try the BB pin? If not, kindly do me a favour and delete my pin from your post. Afterall that's why I love BBM simply because of the privacy it gives the user
    Thanks in advance for deleting my BB pin.

And yet... your solution to an issue was to change the font size. If you were familiar with the app, you would have been aware that there is no option to do so.
    gfondeur likes this.
    10-25-13 06:42 PM
    I am on the verge of throwing up

Jakarta, Indonesia
    cdnrower and wincyUt like this.
    10-25-13 06:49 PM
    Have you considered it might be the phone? Not a prob on my Z10 or Z30
    10-25-13 06:51 PM
    The review has valid points even though I don't agree that it's "ugly" our has an "outdated friending system".

But the review is about today, not the next version of BBM. It doesn't matter whether they're planning to add more features or not. If BlackBerry didn't release BBM without video & voice calling, BBM channels, screen sharing, etc. the reviews are not going to bode that well.

You can't release a half-baked and expect good reviews.
    10-25-13 07:01 PM
    Obviously, yeah. But the point is that you have to stare or apply a certain amount of focus. You really can't "read" them in a normal flow.

get your eyes tested
    10-25-13 07:06 PM
    No possible good reviews from Engadget verge gizmodo. That's a given. Why bother reading? Engadget talks and praise more about raspberry pi, some useless junk. When they review BlackBerry, it's always condescending. Very objective and not biased, eh?

Jakarta, Indonesia
    10-25-13 07:07 PM
    Be careful if your referring to Whatsapp. That double check mark is not an acknowledgement of the message being read.
    10-25-13 07:08 PM
    Verge, Gizmodo, some people in CB, some people in this thread, will ALWAYS find some fault..just for the sake of finding fault. You guys must lead fulfilling lives.... smdh
    10-25-13 07:12 PM
    When BBM delivered video and voice chat, only Viber and Skype will be in their league. And please no one come and say Whatsapp has video chat cause they don't.

PS. Who the f@$k is the Verge anyways and why does any one care what they think?
    huckleberry_Jer and jafrul like this.
    10-25-13 07:13 PM
288 ... 23456 ...