Viber also had read receipts, if the story about the update on BBOS is to be believed.
    10-25-13 01:54 PM
    Interesting review. He could have written this months ago. That's when his mind was made up already.
    gfondeur likes this.
    10-25-13 01:57 PM
    Biased opinion in an attempt to make BlackBerry look bad.

Posted via CB10
    10-25-13 01:58 PM
    You can't even send a video file to a contact with BBM for IOS, so I would agree that its missing BASIC features.
    I just did yesterday . Go to the video you want to send, long press, share, bbm, pick contact.

Posted from my Z10
    10-25-13 01:59 PM
    So your saying it takes 3 services to match BBM. WOW on app that needs tree services to combined to be better than it. Sounds like BBM is better just that some people wont admit it.
    BBM is yet another layer. I refuse to use facebook and it didn't take very long for me to get rid of What'sApp so I will occasionally DM on Twitter (though not often) I will BBM people that have it but those who don't I either text, e-mail or call. There isn't going to be one overall solution for everybody, there wil always be multiple options. What I'm looking for now is something that will help to limit the number of different methods I have to use to stay in touch with people. BBM is great but only if the majority of your contacts are on it, otherwise it's just another layer.
    BBMIZKING likes this.
    10-25-13 02:00 PM
    You can't even send a video file to a contact with BBM for IOS, so I would agree that its missing BASIC features.
    Whatsapp doesn't even tell you when your message is read, or allow a group calendar, or multiple conversations within one group. It also tales your phone number and contact phone numbers and stores then on a server for your "convenience" .

Posted via CB10
    10-25-13 02:05 PM
    Sorry tried this and no BBM isn't an option. Inside BBM the BBM app when you press attach file it says Take Picture, Select Picture, Voice Note. Nothing about a video file. So don't spread false truths.

Maybe you can on your Z10, but I can't on my 5S.
    look_alive likes this.
    10-25-13 02:07 PM
    So I get the impression that people want something perfect out the gate no matter the product. The term minimally viable comes to mind. So let's say BBM launched with everything that comes with BB10, someone would find some flaw with it. I agree with the approach of getting something out to get people's feet wet and then improving the user experience through crowd sourcing and proper road mapping.

Posted via CB10
    app_Developer and pcguy514 like this.
    10-25-13 02:08 PM
    No one should be surprise by the verge review. I wouldn't expect video and voice to be implement in the first release. I mean look at the traffic and how they have to deal with it. Imagine adding voice and video, the line up would be worse than it is now.

Posted via CB10
    10-25-13 02:08 PM
    This sounds like the ***** that wrote the article on AndroidPolice:

BBM For Android Review: A Great Way To Keep In Touch... If You Have A Time Machine. To The Past. Only.
    Posted by Ryan Whitwam in Apps/Games

BBM For Android Review: A Great Way To Keep In Touch... If You Have A Time Machine. To The Past. Only.
    10-25-13 02:10 PM
    Whatsapp doesn't even tell you when your message is read, or allow a group calendar, or multiple conversations within one group. It also tales your phone number and contact phone numbers and stores then on a server for your "convenience" .

Posted via CB10
    So what does that have to do with sending a video? I don't care about groups and group calendars. I care about being able to send a quick video to friends and family over seas.
    10-25-13 02:11 PM
    No one should be surprise by the verge review. I wouldn't expect video and voice to be implement in the first release. I mean look at the traffic and how they have to deal with it. Imagine adding voice and video, the line up would be worse than it is now.

Posted via CB10
    Voice and video isn't a big deal to most. Sending a simple video file is in 2013.
    10-25-13 02:13 PM
    One thing that is really nice is BBM groups
    Even my jaded iPhone adult children think it is one feature that is really well designed and cool. As my son called it "a private facebook". They like the fact of coordinating calendars, posting picks and events. A nice interface and group chat. It may not be unique in the messaging world, but they were impressed.

Posted via CB10 via my Z10
    pcguy514 likes this.
    10-25-13 02:13 PM
    I have to agree with them about things like contact sharing which is missing. BBM should at least match the base features of whatsapp.
    Contact sharing is by definition going to be non-secure and nonselective. One of the big advantages of BBM is that it requires a handshake. Whatsapp uses cell numbers ferchrisakes.
    10-25-13 02:19 PM
    Contact sharing is by definition going to be non-secure and nonselective. One of the big advantages of BBM is that it requires a handshake. Whatsapp uses cell numbers ferchrisakes.
    If the point of BBM is to message friends and family, who cares about all this secure lets hide from the NSA fear.
    10-25-13 02:26 PM
    One thing that is really nice is BBM groups
    Even my jaded iPhone adult children think it is one feature that is really well designed and cool. As my son called it "a private facebook". They like the fact of coordinating calendars, posting picks and events. A nice interface and group chat. It may not be unique in the messaging world, but they were impressed.
    Except that you can't mute/squelch Group notifications with the Android/iOS app. Fairly important feature that's missing. Join a couple of groups, and your device goes nuts.
    Etios and Saiga like this.
    10-25-13 02:29 PM
    �Ugly design - a personal opinion and subjective comment[/B][/FONT][/COLOR]
    Actually, the design is pretty bad. The action bar is too friggin huge. The fonts aren't ideal. Emoticons/Emojis require a magnifying glass to recognize them.
    Saiga and dannykavs like this.
    10-25-13 02:31 PM
    So don't use it and move on. No one is forcing you to use it! Are you having a hard time leaving this thread? If it doesn't fill your needs, so be it! We get your view and opinion. Just repeating it makes you come across as tiresome.
    gfondeur likes this.
    10-25-13 02:33 PM
    Actually, the design is pretty bad. The action bar is too friggin huge. The fonts aren't ideal. Emoticons/Emojis require a magnifying glass to recognize them.
    Really emoticons are that small??? I must have contact lenses on then.

Posted via CB10
    curvezzz likes this.
    10-25-13 02:36 PM
    Many cross platform messaging apps have Delivery and Read notifications. Please try and post knowledgeably.
    You are wrong. 100% wrong.

WhatsApp does not have read receipt. Here, in their own words: WhatsApp FAQ - What are those check marks next to my messages?

"Note: this does not indicate that the message was read, just that it was delivered.
    Also note that in a group chat you will only see one check mark indicating that the message was successfully delivered to the server."
    DoktorFace likes this.
    10-25-13 02:42 PM
    You are wrong. 100% wrong.

WhatsApp does not have read receipt. Here, in their own words: WhatsApp FAQ - What are those check marks next to my messages?

"Note: this does not indicate that the message was read, just that it was delivered.
    Also note that in a group chat you will only see one check mark indicating that the message was successfully delivered to the server."
    To be fair, he didn't say WA had it.
    10-25-13 02:44 PM
    trashing a free app that works well, and is only workign and willing to improve ....... should tell you all you need to know about the verge and what their bias is
    10-25-13 02:44 PM
    They do these because they know they'll get that many more visits if they do an outrageous review like this. Best thing you can do is ignore them.
    pcguy514, BBMIZKING and gfondeur like this.
    10-25-13 02:46 PM
    Really emoticons are that small??? I must have contact lenses on then.
    If you can see these.. you just might.

The Verge's review trashes BBM.-bbmgroupchat.png
    raysgrumpy likes this.
    10-25-13 02:49 PM
    10-25-13 02:50 PM
288 1234 ...