�BBM is back
    �Sending / receiving messages is snappy
    �It's free

Bad Stuff
    �Ugly design
    �Few features
    �Not truly multi-platform
    �Outdated friending system

The success or failure of any messaging app is predicated on one factor: whether your friends are using it. WhatsApp no long offers as many features as some of its competitors, but since 400 million people worldwide use WhatsApp, it�s the best solution. So how do you get people using one messaging app over another? Features. But even if BBM had mind-blowing messaging features (which it doesn�t), it would still need time to rebuild its user base. Years ago, BlackBerry built an app that users loved, loved so much that they bought BlackBerry phones just for BBM. Those days are long past, so BlackBerry has to compete on another playing field. The app is still new, but it currently offers nothing other than a name people know.

The app does work, and it works well, but compared to competitors who have had years to build their messaging communities, BBM offers almost no added value to potential users. If it ever hopes to compete with the likes of WhatsApp and others, BlackBerry would need to make BBM feel as modern, and as lightweight, and as forward-thinking as it once did. It will also need to be present on every platform your friends are using, from Symbian to Windows Phone to Android to iPhone. Because ultimately people care most about communicating with friends, and BBM as it exists today doesn�t even make that part easy.

If BlackBerry is correct in thinking that there are "BlackBerry people" out there, BBM for iPhone and Android will certainly appeal to them, if only for its nostalgic value. BlackBerry built an app for people stuck in the year 2008, and those people will love it. For everybody else, welcome to 2013.
    Message unread: BBM for iPhone and Android review | The Verge
    10-25-13 12:30 PM
    If BBM has few features then which IM is fully featured? These idiots probably think the double check mark in WhatsApp means the recipient t has read your message.

Even the most die hard android and apple people I know who are trying this app love the speed, the D and R and the awesome group functionality.

Posted via CB10
    10-25-13 12:35 PM
    I have to agree with them about things like contact sharing which is missing. BBM should at least match the base features of whatsapp.
    10-25-13 12:37 PM
    If BBM has few features then which IM is fully featured? These idiots probably think the double check mark in WhatsApp means the recipient t has read your message.

Even the most die hard android and apple people I know who are trying this app love the speed, the D and R and the awesome group functionality.

Posted via CB10
    Many cross platform messaging apps have Delivery and Read notifications. Please try and post knowledgeably.
    10-25-13 12:38 PM
    Good Stuff
    •BBM is back - TRUE
    •Sending / receiving messages is snappy - TRUE
    •It's free - TRUE

Bad Stuff
    •Ugly design - a personal opinion and subjective comment
    •Few features - it does currently have the basics and it has been widely advertised that more of the wanted feature are on the way
    •Not truly multi-platform - Aren't about 90% of the smartphones iOS and Android? I would say it's got most people covered and when Microsoft decides it's time to give a proper Skype app to BB then BB should return the favour. I know, childish.
    •Outdated friending system - I would call it a secure friending system. Personaly, I don't like how WhatsApp raids my contact list/info.

It's just as easy to be positive as it is negative.
    10-25-13 12:47 PM
    They are right. It has all the features IF you have a bb. If not it's lacking.
    10-25-13 12:50 PM
    As an ex blackberry owner who has (initially without enthusiasm) embraced android I think that review is accurate.

Facebook messenger has every user I talk to, and WhatsApp does most stuff OK. Unlimited sms plan finishes it off.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    look_alive and Etios like this.
    10-25-13 12:52 PM
    Many cross platform messaging apps have Delivery and Read notifications. Please try and post knowledgeably.
    Well WhatsApp doesn't, which is a competitor listed in the article. IMessage does but it's not cross platform. Which cross platform IM are you referring to?

Posted via CB10
    10-25-13 12:54 PM
    Care to name the many?
    Mr.mister likes this.
    10-25-13 12:58 PM
    i think it points out some things that can be improved on but in general its overly harsh as i wouldnt give it 5/10 at all....maybe 7.5/10
    10-25-13 12:59 PM
    Let's see that secret list you hold Benj...
    adjdudley21 and Pdinos3 like this.
    10-25-13 01:02 PM
    i think it points out some things that can be improved on but in general its overly harsh as i wouldnt give it 5/10 at all....maybe 7.5/10
    I agree. The major drawback that I hear about is with the ability of new users to easily build their contact lists.

That said there seems to be a misconception that you need someones pin or QR code, and that you can't add them by text or email - which to me seems pretty easy.

I really got the sense the Verge got upset waiting in line, used the app for 15 minutes and wrote an angry and harsh review.

Posted via CB10
    10-25-13 01:03 PM
    As an ex blackberry owner who has (initially without enthusiasm) embraced android I think that review is accurate.

Facebook messenger has every user I talk to, and WhatsApp does most stuff OK. Unlimited sms plan finishes it off.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    So your saying it takes 3 services to match BBM. WOW on app that needs tree services to combined to be better than it. Sounds like BBM is better just that some people wont admit it.
    10-25-13 01:04 PM
    Really? I wasn't aware of any. Could you list them for us as I'd like to check them out.

Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    10-25-13 01:07 PM

•Few features - it does currently have the basics and it has been widely advertised that more of the wanted feature are on the way
    Yep in Blackberry time means they will be available in few years
    10-25-13 01:10 PM
    I have to agree with them about things like contact sharing which is missing. BBM should at least match the base features of whatsapp.
    sure sir name one which does that..don't tell whatsapp..it is already proved it doesn't as you expect it to be..
    10-25-13 01:12 PM
    I'm dying to hear their names - as someone put it so eloquently can you "please try and post knowledgeably" when you make wild claims?

Sent from my C6833 using CB Forums mobile app
    John Pawling likes this.
    10-25-13 01:13 PM
    hangouts and facebook chat both have similar read receipt notifications for starters. I am not saying they have read sent and delivered but they do some of this. Whatsapp does have delivered for sure to.

BBMx is a start but its still missing basics. Heck there is no contact sort on Android BBM even
    kbz1960, look_alive, web99 and 3 others like this.
    10-25-13 01:15 PM
    The verge tries too hard to be hipster

Posted from my Z10
    10-25-13 01:20 PM
    hangouts and facebook chat both have similar read receipt notifications for starters. I am not saying they have read sent and delivered but they do some of this. Whatsapp does have delivered for sure to.

BBMx is a start but its still missing basics. Heck there is no contact sort on Android BBM even
    I think KIK also has read receipts although I dont use it so I don't know how how well it works.

Whatsapp is more relevant as its much bigger than KIK. What Whatsapp does that pisses me off, and I think is dishonest, is they use two check marks. One indicates delivery to the Whatsapp server, and the other is delivery to the users device.

Why split this up? Who cares if something goes to the server? What matters is when it gets to the device. The only reason I can think of for having one process (i.e delivery of a message) split into two chunks is to trick people into thinking the first checkmark means delivery to the device, and the second one means the message has been read.

Weaksauce.

Posted via CB10
    10-25-13 01:26 PM
    This is a BS review!!

Posted via CB10
    nuff_said, John Pawling and cman5 like this.
    10-25-13 01:33 PM
    Eh, the review is pretty impartial, IMO. The biggest thing going on for BBM is the name; which, will probably be enough to propel it in developing markets.

There really isn't anything excitable about IM and BBM doesn't change that (as hard as users on this website try to hype others up about this basic communication app). Text messaging, BBM, and iMessage have been around for forever.

It seems the 'messaging' trend has really moved on to pictures/videos like Snapchat, Instagram, or Vine, which are preferred by youngsters and other socialites.
    look_alive, richardat and mattsfk like this.
    10-25-13 01:37 PM
    The verge tries too hard to be hipster

Posted from my Z10
    You beat me to this. So much snark on that site, I stopped going.

Posted via CB10
    InfiniteRecursion likes this.
    10-25-13 01:39 PM
    You can't even send a video file to a contact with BBM for IOS, so I would agree that its missing BASIC features.
    look_alive, PFman and Etios like this.
    10-25-13 01:48 PM
    Good Stuff
    �BBM is back - TRUE
    �Sending / receiving messages is snappy - TRUE
    �It's free - TRUE

Bad Stuff
    �Ugly design - a personal opinion and subjective comment
    �Few features - it does currently have the basics and it has been widely advertised that more of the wanted feature are on the way
    �Not truly multi-platform - Aren't about 90% of the smartphones iOS and Android? I would say it's got most people covered and when Microsoft decides it's time to give a proper Skype app to BB then BB should return the favour. I know, childish.
    �Outdated friending system - I would call it a secure friending system. Personaly, I don't like how WhatsApp raids my contact list/info.

It's just as easy to be positive as it is negative.
    It may be semantic but they do have a point, it's not so much cross platform as multi platform. And to the people who have contacts that use Windows phones it is most certainly an issue.. I love BBM but if it was not able to replace my current messaging solution then I'm not just going to add yet another layer to my messaging solution just because it's BBM.

And more importantly, when did Friend become a bloody verb??? You don't 'friend' or 'unfriend' someone, you are their friend or you are not.. More likely than not I'm just getting old and crusty but why take a perfectly good noun and try to make it a verb?
    Last edited by paper_monkey; 10-25-13 at 02:06 PM.
    BBinSyt, JR A and barnfoot like this.
    10-25-13 01:53 PM
288 123 ...