Note: I had originally posted this as a homepage article submission, but it never really got any traction hidden in there. I'd really like to see what the community thinks about this, so I'm re-posting it in a more relevant subforum.

We recently learned about BlackBerry's monetization plan for BBM Protected. $30/year per subscription. It's a fairly steep price tag for organizations with a large number of users, for something that really only ensures the integrity of internal communications (or amongst those that pay for BBM Protected). I imagine that one of the greatest organizational fears are security breaches at the perimeters (when employees communicate with third parties that are beyond the company's control).

To make the $30 really worth it, BlackBerry should consider offering a Protected BBM+1 service.

What do I mean? Essentially, each paying BBM Protected user will automatically extend and enforce their 'per-message encryption' scheme for any conversations they carry out with third-party non-BBM Protected licensed users. In other words, every BBM Protected licensed user can have "protected" conversations with third party non-BBM Protected subscribers. That way, if you have BBM Protected, you can have protected conversations with your family, clients, outside collaborators even if they aren't paying for it (communications which occur very regularly, and are often points of vulnerability). In other words: extending the BBM protected encryption to one user-layer beyond the employee.

Using BBM Protected to grow BBM: Protected BBM+1-protectedbbmplus1.png

Aside from the added security value to a BBM Protected subscription-paying user. There is a potentially huge positive side effect for BlackBerry itself:

If you are a BBM Protected subscriber, and you know you can extend the benefit of your encrypted communication to your direct third-party BBM contacts, you will likely start to try to push your contacts (family, friends, clients, outside collaborators, etc.) to get BBM to take advantage of this. Therefore, BBM Protected subscribers will now have some 'economic' "skin in the game" and will in effect become seeds for BBM's growth (and with two increasingly persuasive reasons--security and privacy)!

Thus a "Protected BBM+1" will not only increase the value to the paying customer (always makes people happy), but also organically fuel growth of regular BBM (and probably also BBM Protected).

Perhaps they already have this in the works, or maybe it's not technically feasible with the current infrastructure,.. but it sure seems like a decent idea and would certainly give consumer-grade BBM a boost at a time when BlackBerry has limited 'marketing' resources that are being focused almost entirely on the enterprise.
    spiculated and wout000 like this.
    08-27-14 10:49 PM
    If encryption is set on side of the conversation, how would the user's BBM without BBM protected decrypt it?
    08-28-14 05:34 AM
    If encryption is set on side of the conversation, how would the user's BBM without BBM protected decrypt it?
    From what I gather any BBM Protected paying BBM client (well BBOS and BB10, for now), can automatically switch to a BBM Protected conversation when talking to an eligible party. I'm not sure how the keys are handled server side, other than you need to send a conversation passkey to the other party via a separate medium (email, sms, call, in person), but I can't see any significant barrier to enable this for one additional layer.

Posted via CB10
    08-28-14 10:59 AM
    From what I gather any BBM Protected paying BBM client (well BBOS and BB10, for now), can automatically switch to a BBM Protected conversation when talking to an eligible party. I'm not sure how the keys are handled server side, other than you need to send a conversation passkey to the other party via a separate medium (email, sms, call, in person), but I can't see any significant barrier to enable this for one additional layer.

Posted via CB10
    I think you should post this on https://blackberry.icanmakeitbetter.com/ BlackBerry is taking ideas there quite seriously

Posted via CB10
    AnimalPak200 likes this.
    08-28-14 01:46 PM
    I think you should post this on https://blackberry.icanmakeitbetter.com/ BlackBerry is taking ideas there quite seriously

Posted via CB10
    Good idea, I may just do that later on when I get a chance.

Posted via CB10
    08-28-14 02:21 PM
    08-28-14 07:35 PM