I'm new to BBM this year and am a member in only three groups, so bear with me.

The calendar is intriguing because it allows someone to reach out into the ether place an event on your calendar, complete with start/stop times, reminders, notes, location, etc. Since it is group wide, it doesn't support participants, which is possibly related to the problem I seem to be having.

In a group there are regularly scheduled meetings that occur monthly, weekly, whatever. Sometimes conflicts arise and a member can't make the regularly scheduled group meeting, so they have to opt out. When they do so and delete the meeting from their calendar (due to the conflict), things get wonky. Sometimes it deletes the meeting from the group, some times it doesn't. Sometimes it deletes it from the group and from other members calendars, some times it doesn't. A recurring event seems to be the most difficult to understand how or what is happening.

So, my question is, what are the best practices for using the BBM calendar for active groups to avoid this type of weirdness?
    01-02-14 12:11 PM
    I'm new to BBM this year and am a member in only three groups, so bear with me.

The calendar is intriguing because it allows someone to reach out into the ether place an event on your calendar, complete with start/stop times, reminders, notes, location, etc. Since it is group wide, it doesn't support participants, which is possibly related to the problem I seem to be having.

In a group there are regularly scheduled meetings that occur monthly, weekly, whatever. Sometimes conflicts arise and a member can't make the regularly scheduled group meeting, so they have to opt out. When they do so and delete the meeting from their calendar (due to the conflict), things get wonky. Sometimes it deletes the meeting from the group, some times it doesn't. Sometimes it deletes it from the group and from other members calendars, some times it doesn't. A recurring event seems to be the most difficult to understand how or what is happening.

So, my question is, what are the best practices for using the BBM calendar for active groups to avoid this type of weirdness?
    I'm in one group but it's nowhere as active as yours. Wouldn't calendar invites outside the group work better?
    01-03-14 03:49 PM
    I'm in one group but it's nowhere as active as yours. Wouldn't calendar invites outside the group work better?
    Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I've / we've done calendar invites via text or email, and it works ... but it is an invite and has to be issued for each event. I'm dealing with recurring events, such as a monthly committee meeting, that pertains directly to said group. By placing the event on the BBM group calendar, it automagically is added to everyone's calendar, so I don't have to hunt down email addy's, etc.. Really handy until there is a conflict and someone can't make it - then the fun starts.

Not sure if it is related to all that I've been doing, but BBM on my phone had a complete melt down today. Lost all groups, all chats, all pictures. Everything. After a reboot, one group came back but not the chats, pictures, etc. I had to have other members re-add me to the other two groups. I'm these groups, everything came back except the chats. Fortunately, I had recently backed up my chats, so they are not totally lost.

I guess this calendar function of BBM isn't ready for prime time. If the kinks get worked out of it, the calendar would be an amazing tool.

Posted via CB10
    01-03-14 07:29 PM