"these features will become part of a broader bundle of features"

You guys are missing the key sentence here.

These timed message and retract features are worthless on their own (and offered for free by others), however they will only be a part of a bundle of features (probably BBM Meetings, ability to host meetings accessible through a Web browser, and cross platform video will be included). Something similar to Webex,.. which is not free.

As with many other services, you will pay for a bundle that includes things you really want and others that you couldn't care for.

They key is to wait and see what they add to this "bundle of features".

I know I wouldn't pay for timed messages (very dumb feature) and retraction (which can be circumvented with a simple screen capture and a keen recipient).

Posted via CB10
    Bingo, you hit the nail on the head. Bundling features such as a cross platform video with time messages/retraction is the way they are going. No doubt about it. I would certainly pay for cross platform video especially if it is a solid service. Smart move buy blackberry.
    AnimalPak200 likes this.
    10-31-14 10:18 AM
    I don't know how I feel about this. People are cheap and not only that but BBM really doesn't have a significant amount of users in certain parts of the world in the first place that are going to justify paying for features that are available on other messengers for free. I fear they will try to charge to cross platform video chat and this will be a huge let down. Especially considering how long people have been waiting for this one feature

I'm gonna try to have faith that this BBM team knows what they're doing though. Hope they don't try to monetize every good feature of BBM

Posted via CB10
    I'm not even going to try. I can't tout BBM as a better option than what they're using if they have to pay for usage of features. Stickers don't count.
    Rello likes this.
    10-31-14 10:37 AM
    Bingo, you hit the nail on the head. Bundling features such as a cross platform video with time messages/retraction is the way they are going. No doubt about it. I would certainly pay for cross platform video especially if it is a solid service. Smart move buy blackberry.
    Put it in the average consumer's (that obviously doesn't have a BlackBerry) perspective, why pay for something that is readily available for free?
    10-31-14 10:37 AM
    This is kind of dumb. The people that use these features are teenagers that don't pay for things to begin with.
    FrankIAm and eldricho like this.
    10-31-14 10:38 AM
    Anyone know what will be the subscription fee?

Posted via CB10
    10-31-14 10:46 AM
    I don't use Skype, but I understand it's free.
    AL8x B likes this.
    10-31-14 10:49 AM
    Finally we get cool features that compete with apps like snapchat and now they're going to start charging for them? Seems dumb, keep these features free and use them to increase your market share, then worry about monetization elsewhere (eg. with stickers).

The only way this is justifiable is if the future "bundle" includes a killer feature like cross platform video messaging. But why do I somehow doubt it?

Posted via CB10
    10-31-14 10:52 AM
    All I can say is hmmmmmm

Z30 Beast on Roids..
    10-31-14 10:57 AM
    Cool, I don't see a problem with that. Someone that really need timed message will pay for it.

And if it's part of a bundle... even better

Posted via CB10
    Someone who needs timed messages will find an alternative free messaging application.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-14 11:07 AM
    Too bad everyone else is incapable of reading the context. Good ole' CrackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-14 11:12 AM
    Cool, I don't see a problem with that. Someone that really need timed message will pay for it.

And if it's part of a bundle... even better

Posted via CB10
    Telegram offers true end-to-end encryption as well as timed messages and is free.

Dumb move BB.

Sent from my awesome BlackBerry Z3 running BlackBerry 10 - 2BBEAACF
    10-31-14 11:12 AM
    I hope they don't charge BB10 users!! I'm guessing they will but damn.
    Me too, hope it becomes a free option for BB10.

Timed....update!
    They will retract it and then charge!
    10-31-14 11:22 AM
    Let's see how many sexters will pay for this feature LOL
    10-31-14 11:53 AM
    This makes me mad.

To an enterprise customer maybe this makes sense, but to the average consumer who has plenty of messaging options paying for security features that are free on other platforms does not.

Let's not forget that BBM does not offer true end-to-end encryption either. If you want that you must have BlackBerry Protect, which is enterprise only. The watered-down consumer BBM that's available to the general public is falling way behind what's out there now.

I'm afraid we are at the point where BlackBerry has become an Enterprise company devoting all of its security and software resources to the Enterprise while giving the public "me too" products and second rate security options.

Sent from my awesome BlackBerry Z3 running BlackBerry 10 - 2BBEAACF
    10-31-14 11:54 AM
    i guess its good to try things for more $$$ but introducing features like this arent the way IMO. I certainly dont have much use nor would I pay for them. Also to me this defeats some of the security aspects. People can now have parts of a convo disappear and change conversation meanings.
    SharonRD likes this.
    10-31-14 12:08 PM
    Only if subscription is like $1 or $2 for a year (similar to Whatsapp). But no way anybody will go for any monthly subscription.
    That will be nail in coffin if they go that way.
    10-31-14 01:35 PM
    If this is true in ditching bbm, foh
    Wth?

OS 10.3.1.1016: destructive 821 > upgrade 800 > upgrade 938 > delta 1016
    10-31-14 01:39 PM
    OK, silky question time, the main BBM platform will remain free, right??

Posted via CB10
    10-31-14 01:45 PM
    Subscription will be just for the optional extras, I'm hoping

Posted via CB10
    10-31-14 01:46 PM
    I think the idea is great, but they need to add more features and then make that a paid service. And I would not have a issue paying for premium features...

Posted via CB10
    10-31-14 01:51 PM
    Hoping the core BBM app remains free, give everyone a taste of the optional extras free for a year, then maybe people will feel the need to have it and not lose the premium features????

Posted via CB10
    10-31-14 01:59 PM
    What BlackBerry shld do is offer a subscription based scheme for stickers at a discounted price.. eg like for audible you pay a fixed amount every month for one credit to spend on 1 book whatever the price may be

Posted via CB10
    10-31-14 02:17 PM
    Put it in the average consumer's (that obviously doesn't have a BlackBerry) perspective, why pay for something that is readily available for free?
    And what features would they be. Insecure platform, stolen information, crappy video, no screen share, questional connections and quality of output. Look, I have no doubt you can cobble something together but that isn't the point. Its high time that core communication are brought together in a coherent package; it has considerable value to many people. Just take Skype, for example. I loath this program as it is non intuitive and one is constantly fumbling around to get it to work. Would I pay for a BBM service that actually worked consistently? ABSOLUTELY.
    KarlosSpicyWienr likes this.
    10-31-14 02:18 PM
    Leave this apart, I don't know what is happening with these guys.. BBM group is just so important for user base to grow and they have their eyes closed literally.

Come on guys, forget about being ahead of WhatsApp in terms of features, first bring group chat at par.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-14 02:20 PM
    And what features would they be. Insecure platform, stolen information, crappy video, no screen share, questional connections and quality of output.
    Well, yes, we are the only ones who care about that.
    10-31-14 02:27 PM
156 1234 ...