When he sent a timed message to me, I can screenshot it and he will get notice.
    But when he tried screenshot my timed message, bbm blocked him.
    Was curious if the case is the same for ios bbm.
    It is not! YOu can easily take a screenshot on iOS.
    Apparently, there is a system call for devs that allow for screenshot disablement under Android, not so in iOS.
    Is Android slowly turning into the more secure platform than iOS now? Strange.
    11-02-14 05:18 AM
    Someone should send this thread and the other 2 threads similar to this to BBM or someone who can hear us, it's sad to see BlackBerry shoot itself like that.

I'll send it to @BBM now, even though that account is useless!

Posted via CB10
    11-02-14 05:48 AM
    Has anyone thought about that the new features are free for early adopters and all downloads after three months will cost? A promotion to get more people on the app before February?

That's the way looking at it.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-14 07:17 AM
    I guess sponsored BBM Channels didn't work for them so subscription is what they crave and subscription is something they will note get. Period.

First of all BBM user base is not a commanding user base like WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger or Viber. Second there will be other messengers that will copy the features and offer them for free, two mentioned above included.

BBM is a one thing BBRY has going for them and they will miss the boat to make it larger than life by decapitating features that should give them the edge over competition. They were late and still are late to the game with BBM Money even though they were among the first to implement such thing, I guess fear of liability pushed them away from utilizing it in the western hemisphere. No video calling yet on iOS and Android while other have it. BBM Meetings is nice but there is Slack or Bitrix24 that offer the same for free as long as you are not on BlackBerry. Or if you are on a BlackBerry you have neat WebEx for free.

Point being is that no one outside of the enterprise and some users in Indonesia will go and run to subscribe to plain and unnecessary features they can live without, sure is nice to sext with self-destructive option but I'm not sure it is enough to justify $$ unless you are a sex addict. BBM Protected on the other hand is something they can command the subscription on because it has a big benefit under the hood, but video conference, video messaging, collaboration, retraction, timed messaging, yada, yada ,yada are just the cosmetic features that could help them to become relevant player in IM world and not some out-of-this-world features that market has a desire to pay for.

Ok, if you are like me and have friends using BBM just because you told them its the only way they can stay in touch with you there is no way they will do this subscription thing. But if they get these little neat features for free maybe they will be like "hmmm this is better than Whatsapp or Skype indeed." so once the user base expands then we can talk subscription. I am positive 0 of my BBM contacts will subscribe to this right now, myself included, there is just no reason as some other IM platform will give it away for free in a matter of short time.
    11-02-14 07:47 AM
    curious if you can dig up that quote for us
    It's on Crackberry's main page, the interview with JC, the first 20 seconds of the video.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-14 08:51 AM
    This ruined my day. I still will tell people to update

Posted via CB10
    11-02-14 09:01 AM
    It is not! YOu can easily take a screenshot on iOS.
    Apparently, there is a system call for devs that allow for screenshot disablement under Android, not so in iOS.
    Is Android slowly turning into the more secure platform than iOS now? Strange.
    You can take screenshots of timed BBM messages with Android as well.

Timed Messages and Retraction are Paid features-screenshot_2014-11-01-19-40-52.jpg

Doesn't even require root. On many Android phones, including mine, it doesn't even require a third party app.

BBM for Android does try to prevent you from taking a screenshot of timed messages, but anyone who tries can easily figure out how to get around it. The way timed messages works on BBM is kind of dumb. You know something the sender doesn't want you to save has been sent. It warns the recipient that something good has arrived and lets them know to get ready to make a copy of the message.

It is a horrible feature that most would be better off not using at all let alone paying for.
    11-02-14 09:24 AM
    You can take screenshots of timed BBM messages with Android as well.

Doesn't even require root. On many Android phones, including mine, it doesn't even require a third party app.

BBM for Android does try to prevent you from taking a screenshot of timed messages, but anyone who tries can easily figure out how to get around it.
    So thanks god, both iOS and Android are still as insecure platforms as I expected them to be

The way timed messages works on BBM is kind of dumb. You know something the sender doesn't want you to save has been sent. It warns the recipient that something good has arrived and lets them know to get ready to make a copy of the message.
    That's exactly how my BBM friends reacted when trying this feature.
    11-02-14 09:53 AM
    So thanks god, both iOS and Android are still as insecure platforms as I expected them to be
    Ah, so this is a problem with iOS and Android and not a problem with the feature or BBM itself? That makes no sense whatsoever.

BlackBerry made a security feature that doesn't work as intended. That's on them, not iOS or Android.
    11-02-14 11:14 AM
    I gotta say. I love my z10 and BlackBerry features but if they try to charge me at all for BBM I will be leaving BlackBerry. I really thought BlackBerry was about their customers and not falling into the rest of the greedy corporate folks. It's sad really.

"Our emotions are in the water we drink"
    11-02-14 11:23 AM
    Ah, so this is a problem with iOS and Android and not a problem with the feature or BBM itself? That makes no sense whatsoever.

BlackBerry made a security feature that doesn't work as intended. That's on them, not iOS or Android.
    For better understanding, next time I will mark ironic statements in bold italic letters.
    Witmen likes this.
    11-02-14 03:07 PM
    Is this update coming to BlackBerry legacy devices like OS 7.1?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9790 using CB Forums
    11-02-14 03:16 PM
    For better understanding, next time I will mark ironic statements in bold italic letters.
    Yeah, there was a moment when I wondered if you were being serious or not. Should have known, sorry about that!
    11-02-14 03:22 PM
    Yeah, there was a moment when I wondered if you were being serious or not. Should have known, sorry about that!
    No problem, good fun.
    11-02-14 04:13 PM
    140+ posts in, and people still haven't wrapped their heads around the fact that these (probably barely used features) will only be a small part of a bundle having other premium features.

They aren't charging you for these uselss things, they're just going to shove it together into a box that has something you do want.

It's like those bags of Halloween candy. No one actually wants the licorice twizzler junk, but in order to get the big bag with Starburst and the good chocolates, you're going to pay for a bag that also has twizzler and some other crappy candy.

I'm surprised that even seasoned members have basically read nothing more than the title and hit the reply to thread button. Come on people!

Posted via CB10
    11-02-14 05:10 PM
    140+ posts in, and people still haven't wrapped their heads around the fact that these (probably barely used features) will only be a small part of a bundle having other premium features.

They aren't charging you for these uselss things, they're just going to shove it together into a box that has something you do want.

It's like those bags of Halloween candy. No one actually wants the licorice twizzler junk, but in order to get the big bag with Starburst and the good chocolates, you're going to pay for a bag that also has twizzler and some other crappy candy.

I'm surprised that even seasoned members have basically read nothing more than the title and hit the reply to thread button. Come on people!

Posted via CB10
    Or they have, and because they've never had to buy the bag before they don't feel like doing it now. No matter what's been included.

Posted via CB10
    FrankIAm likes this.
    11-02-14 06:05 PM

Posted via CB10
    I get what your saying, but there's no evidence that the rest of the "bundle" isn't more "licorice twizzler junk." Had they announced the full bundle contents and it truly DOES have the good candy, then fine, so be it. But that still doesn't stop me from thinking that they're cookin the food without the pots and pans so to speak. They need to grab folks away from Whatsapp, Viber, etc.. I have 2 friends outside of my family on BBM. Everyone laughs when I ask them to download BBM. How about focusing effort on eliminating that kind of response before attempting to charge folks for all we know could be more " licorice twizzler junk."

I just think Blackberry in general is going to have to really start giving things away at great prices (phones) and continuing development on all of their software products (BB10 OS, BBM, BES) so long as the features they add are FREE. I think they've done great so far with the Passport pricing and this week's sale. But, I don't believe they are in a position to charge for premium features - on anything. This goes back to the whole "you can't compare a BB phone to an iPhone because it's a different market" - crap that I can't stand. To avoid hijacking the thread, I'll just say this: because of what Blackberry sells, there is going to be a consumer market, whether they like it or not. And to not consider this by charging a subscription for features silly or not, is pretty darn ignorant, and pretty arrogant too, IMO.
    gebco likes this.
    11-02-14 06:21 PM
    Posted via CB10
    I'm not so sure, timed message button has very prominent placing right next to message frame suggesting they are proud of it and want it to try it. Just like when voice memo has debuted and they've made it as the first thing to open up on default when you want to attach something, later on they changed that as it is right now.
    11-02-14 08:13 PM

Posted via CB10
    You know even if the bundle had a feature that writes what you think automatically I still won't pay for it because I PAID for a BlackBerry! And also because they are greedy, whatsapp makes 15 million and BBM wants to make 100 million, WTF!

Posted via CB10
    11-03-14 04:43 AM
    You know even if the bundle had a feature that writes what you think automatically I still won't pay for it because I PAID for a BlackBerry! And also because they are greedy, whatsapp makes 15 million and BBM wants to make 100 million, WTF!

Posted via CB10
    Well, Whatsapp had $15 million in revenue, not profit. They actually lost over $230 million over the course of the first half of the year. Since FB bought them, they no longer have a need, or care, to monetize the service in a traditional way of user purchases. The user data of 600 million+ users is more valuable to FB.
    11-03-14 05:48 AM
    Screen sharing is gone.
    Wack af

OS 10.3.1.1016: destructive 821 > upgrade 800 > upgrade 938 > delta 1016
    11-03-14 10:01 AM
    People will pay for a game but when it comes to something useful they expect it for free. People pay for wants and expect their needs to be covered by "Gov't or Big Business ".

Time for society to grow up.

BBM is probably my most used APP. I will pay to have BlackBerry continue to develop it. Even if they charge $2 a year it would make BlackBerry profitable and it's future more secure.

That is one less Starbucks Coffee every two years.

Posted via CB10
    11-03-14 10:21 AM
    People will pay for a game but when it comes to something useful they expect it for free.
    People will only pay for a game if there's no Free alternative. If two identical games exist, one free and one paid... Guess which one gets installed?

Penned via Tapatalk
    11-03-14 02:40 PM
    ^
    I know that under the term "piracy"

Posted via CB10
    11-03-14 03:02 PM
    I would not pay and here's the reason: I only have 3 contacts who regularly use BBM and they're all on Android. They've all upgraded and like the new features, but their primary messaging app is WhatsApp and I know for a fact that they wouldn't pay just to keep the BBM features. So if I paid, I'd have literally no one to use these features with.

Posted via CB10
    11-03-14 05:06 PM
156 ... 4567