I�m against to charge in the future for this new features! Becuase this will be against BB.

But I hope that for those like us in Crakcberry that support BB since years buying their phones, this features and new ones on BBM will be free of charge. And only if you use BBM in another platforms (iOS, Android or Windows Mobile) charge it (and we can start saying that have a PIN that not start with 7 is for cool people ).

This maybe could make that a small group migrate to BB10!
    11-01-14 03:38 PM
    Focus is lost. Come on John Chen.

We need a proper messaging app first and then these premium features.

Group chat is just so bad. Sharing something is not possible on group at all.

Even multiple pics at one go in individual chat is missing.

I don't know why it is taking so much time? BlackBerry, you are running out of time for bbm as well.

Posted via CB10
    jefbeard911 likes this.
    11-01-14 03:39 PM
    Blackberry are super delusional if they think consumers will be paying for features on a free app. It aint gonan happen. Plenty free options out there its not 02-05 days thsi will end tragic if its fully confrimed and push via ads and whatnot.The only way for subscription charges is at enterprise users cause you aint getting **** from us consumers. BBM is not a must have thing BB are in no position to be forcing models like this.Data dont match up. They been wasting energy on these stickers already.And their yet to report sales numbers on the stickers but trying to pitch for paid features in BBM.Fix up dont make us laugh hopefully all this is taken out of context.

As for the new features retraction does'nt work on messages with pictures.Have'nt tried timed messages from what I saw in a vid is you have to hold down on pics.I think thats rubbish should just be tap and view.

BBM is a mess quite frankly.Channels is wasting away. I have no idea where he gets 100 million gross figure for when so many thinsg are broken and these slow updates being pushed.

Chen just clueless that business and consumer are only seperated by security.and adding more clients/workers to services.If they push this sub rubbish will get burnt real hard.Hope they dont advertise it to just to look like clueless fools when retracting.
    Last edited by RECOOL; 11-01-14 at 03:58 PM.
    11-01-14 03:46 PM
    I don't mind Timed messaging/retraction being a paid feature, since I'm not a big fan of the feature to begin with. I'm in the camp that believes the recipient should control whether or not a message is deleted, to ensure accountability on the sender's part.

Though I also believe that the recipient should also have an option to automatically decline, or ask each time, messages that can self destruct. And that option should be free.

Penned via Tapatalk
    11-01-14 03:47 PM
    As for the new features retraction does'nt work on messages with pictures.Have'nt tried timed messages from what I saw in a vid is you have to hold down on pics.I think thats rubbish should just be tap and view.
    I disagree. I think it makes it harder to grab a screen shot. Not impossible. Just harder.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 04:28 PM
    I wonder if they should even be offering features like this anyway. They might want to put a disclaimer that says "hey people can still keep copies of the messages if they really want too" or something like that.

I know one thing, it is so ridiculously easily to capture the screen from an Android device. Even if the app in the foreground tries to prevent it. Even the DRM in the Netflix app can't stop me from capturing screenshots or actual 60fps screen recordings. If Netflix can't prevent it, I'm not so sure BBM will be able to either.

This might be a big headache if people use it as intended and expect the message to actually go away.
    11-01-14 05:41 PM
    I wonder if they should even be offering features like this anyway. They might want to put a disclaimer that says "hey people can still keep copies of the messages if they really want too" or something like that.

I know one thing, it is so ridiculously easily to capture the screen from an Android device. Even if the app in the foreground tries to prevent it. Even the DRM in the Netflix app can't stop me from capturing screenshots or actual 60fps screen recordings. If Netflix can't prevent it, I'm not so sure BBM will be able to either.

This might be a big headache if people use it as intended and expect the message to actually go away.
    In my humble opinion, I think it should be offered as a completely separate service. BBM for official correspondence. And a separate BBM (maybe BBMPE designating Personal Edition). Corporate/Enterprise should never have the option to self destruct messages.

Penned via Tapatalk
    11-01-14 06:07 PM
    In my humble opinion, I think it should be offered as a completely separate service. BBM for official correspondence. And a separate BBM (maybe BBMPE designating Personal Edition). Corporate/Enterprise should never have the option to self destruct messages.

Penned via Tapatalk
    I agree, this whole thing could give people a false sense of security that may inspire them to send something they wouldn't normally send.

I've installed the new BBM. Anyone willing to add me to see if I can capture their timed message or picture?

Edit:

It don't work. Very easy to make copies of protected messages.
    Last edited by Witmen; 11-01-14 at 06:53 PM.
    11-01-14 06:12 PM
    There's something I don't understand though.
    If whatsapp has 600 million users, and each one pays a dollar a year....
    Shouldn't they have 600 million $ in revenues?

Posted via CB10
    Nope because no one pays as you see.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 07:25 PM
    I don't mind Timed messaging/retraction being a paid feature, since I'm not a big fan of the feature to begin with. I'm in the camp that believes the recipient should control whether or not a message is deleted, to ensure accountability on the sender's part.

Though I also believe that the recipient should also have an option to automatically decline, or ask each time, messages that can self destruct. And that option should be free.

Penned via Tapatalk
    For the first time ever, I agree with you.

The retract message feature is HORRIBLE !

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 07:27 PM
    Can someone running the latest bbm version from app world check this
    - in a bbm group chat, can you tap+hold > copy message?
    - are the toggles for "Show what other are listening to" and "Show what I'm listening to" still there?

Thanks
    Read a couple reports that these features are missing

Fwiw, I'm running 10.3.1.1016 version of bbm= 10.5.5.33, app world update shows as .38

Edit: whoops, posted in the wrong thread

OS 10.3.1.1016: destructive 821 > upgrade 800 > upgrade 938 > delta 1016
    Last edited by nah.uhh; 11-01-14 at 07:48 PM.
    11-01-14 07:34 PM
    There's something I don't understand though.
    If whatsapp has 600 million users, and each one pays a dollar a year....
    Shouldn't they have 600 million $ in revenues?

Posted via CB10
    Whatsapp has a boatload of partnerships who's users don't have to pay the yearly $1 fee its part of whatever program/contract they are under. One example a WhatsApp Sim where data using WhatsApp isn't counted.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    11-01-14 09:26 PM
    This makes me scratch my head. I think Blackberry's first priority would be to convert users away from other messaging services. The easiest way to do that is to offer services like this for free to at least provide SOME incentive to switch; because, let's be honest, there really isn't (because obviously security isn't much of a concern).

I'm hoping this doesn't fly, because the idea of having to pay for this is something straight out of the Heins era.
    gebco and dejanh like this.
    11-01-14 09:39 PM
    This makes me scratch my head. I think Blackberry's first priority would be to convert users away from other messaging services. The easiest way to do that is to offer services like this for free to at least provide SOME incentive to switch; because, let's be honest, there really isn't (because obviously security isn't much of a concern).

I'm hoping this doesn't fly, because the idea of having to pay for this is something straight out of the Heins era.
    Agreed. My young adult daughter and I updated BBM on our phones and we tried out the new features. I asked her if this could replace Snapchat for her and her friends. Her answer was no. Even though BBM is cross platform, she still has few friends on it; she is the only one in her group with a BB. If BB tries to charge for this service I don't think it will help to further BBM subscribers.
    dejanh likes this.
    11-01-14 10:51 PM
    Interesting developments. First, Flash is removed from OS 10.3.1, a critical feature of BlackBerry 10, gone. Poof. Now, they want to charge for BBM? I'm thinking that the new guard may be slipping, or worse, slipping into old habits.

If they do this for the consumer segment, BBM is dead. D-E-A-D, dead. A good way to kill it off in the consumer segment I suppose. After all BlackBerry is all about corporate now. BlackBerry World is dying too. Most apps are now reaching on 1.5 years without a single update, soon it will be 2. Basically everything is abandoned. The Passport might be selling well, but the rest looks bleaker to me than it ever did.

I'm really wondering what kind of game we're playing here. The moves seem to make sense for a while, and then you pull back the curtain a bit and all you see is a house of cards.
    11-02-14 01:27 AM
    Interesting developments. First, Flash is removed from OS 10.3.1, a critical feature of BlackBerry 10, gone. Poof. Now, they want to charge for BBM? I'm thinking that the new guard may be slipping, or worse, slipping into old habits.

If they do this for the consumer segment, BBM is dead. D-E-A-D, dead. A good way to kill it off in the consumer segment I suppose. After all BlackBerry is all about corporate now. BlackBerry World is dying too. Most apps are now reaching on 1.5 years without a single update, soon it will be 2. Basically everything is abandoned. The Passport might be selling well, but the rest looks bleaker to me than it ever did.

I'm really wondering what kind of game we're playing here. The moves seem to make sense for a while, and then you pull back the curtain a bit and all you see is a house of cards.
    Agreed.

I'm afraid BlackBerry is now an Enterprise first company devoting all of its resources to that. Any "consumer" that wants to hang on can but the sacrifices for doing so will become more and more. The smartphone world moves fast. Without constant updating and innovation the platform becomes out of date and the 'other' sides look more and more attractive. BlackBerry knows this and seems to have made the decision that it's OK with them. I don't know if I can blaim them as they would have fallen out of existence without committing to Enterprise. Its just getting more painful month by month.

Sent from my awesome BlackBerry Z3 running BlackBerry 10 - 2BBEAACF
    11-02-14 01:44 AM
    Agreed.

I'm afraid BlackBerry is now an Enterprise first company devoting all of its resources to that. Any "consumer" that wants to hang on can but the sacrifices for doing so will become more and more. The smartphone world moves fast. Without constant updating and innovation the platform becomes out of date and the 'other' sides look more and more attractive. BlackBerry knows this and seems to have made the decision that it's OK with them. I don't know if I can blaim them as they would have fallen out of existence without committing to Enterprise. Its just getting more painful month by month.

The thing is that I really laughed at Microsoft and their Windows 8 and up OS versions that suffer from a split-personality disorder. Now BlackBerry as a company seems to be suffering from a split-personality disorder. On one hand they are adding Amazon App Store, and worry about things like camera performance. On the other hand, Amazon App Store is pulling apps from the BlackBerry flagship (apps that were available are now no longer accessible or even searchable) and BlackBerry isn't doing anything about it. They are also losing traction on BlackBerry Native app development, dumping Flash, making BBM a paid service, and providing after sales service worthy of a company in 1990s that still hasn't clued in to the reality of the current world.

If BlackBerry thinks that they can create some kind of revolution again that will see people carry two devices, one for work and one for play, they are sorely mistaken. Even those organizations that currently mandate separate devices will have to eventually succumb to the pressure of their staff that wants to simplify their life. Going back to 2004 isn't going to work.
    11-02-14 01:59 AM

The thing is that I really laughed at Microsoft and their Windows 8 and up OS versions that suffer from a split-personality disorder. Now BlackBerry as a company seems to be suffering from a split-personality disorder. On one hand they are adding Amazon App Store, and worry about things like camera performance. On the other hand, Amazon App Store is pulling apps from the BlackBerry flagship (apps that were available are now no longer accessible or even searchable) and BlackBerry isn't doing anything about it. They are also losing traction on BlackBerry Native app development, dumping Flash, making BBM a paid service, and providing after sales service worthy of a company in 1990s that still hasn't clued in to the reality of the current world.

If BlackBerry thinks that they can create some kind of revolution again that will see people carry two devices, one for work and one for play, they are sorely mistaken. Even those organizations that currently mandate separate devices will have to eventually succumb to the pressure of their staff that wants to simplify their life. Going back to 2004 isn't going to work.
    Go away....
    I agree far too much with you in the last few days.
    It feels wrong

I especially agree on the schizophrenic part of BlackBerry's identity.

They call themselves business focused but add the Amazon app store which is definitely a consumer app store.
    They have a focus on keyboard phones, which are pretty much completely dead for consumers, but start to partake in the spec-race with the Passport, which is a war fought in the realm of the consumer (those specs are are uselessly good for a pure communication machine).
    Then they launch the Z3, which is obviously a consumer device.

So yeah, I consider them very schizophrenic currently, which is pretty much the antonym of "laser focused".
    A way a lot of people and stock analysts like to describe the company currently and it's just not true, going by those moves.

Posted via CB10
    dejanh likes this.
    11-02-14 01:07 AM
    Go away....
    I agree far too much with you in the last few days.
    It feels wrong

I especially agree on the schizophrenic part of BlackBerry's identity.

They call themselves business focused but add the Amazon app store which is definitely a consumer app store.
    They have a focus on keyboard phones, which are pretty much completely dead for consumers, but start to partake in the spec-race with the Passport, which is a war fought in the realm of the consumer (those specs are are uselessly good for a pure communication machine).
    Then they launch the Z3, which is obviously a consumer device.

So yeah, I consider them very schizophrenic currently, which is pretty much the antonym of "laser focused".
    A way a lot of people and stock analysts like to describe the company currently and it's just not true, going by those moves.

Posted via CB10
    Great minds think alike
    11-02-14 01:20 AM
    There's no evidence that BlackBerry will start charging for bbm.

It would be suicidal if they did anyway.

I think they should just focus on making bbm even bigger and better and eventually charge for calls to landlines etc. Aka skype replacement.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-14 01:28 AM
    I'm not sure why everyone keeps citing WhatsApp as being free.

Straight from the source: For all phone types, WhatsApp is free to download and try for the first year. After, you have the option of extending your subscription for $0.99 USD per year.

Posted via CB10
    In all my years of having WhatsApp never once have I had to pay that subscription fee, nor do I know anyone else that had to.

As for the rest of it, BlackBerry users, running BB10 devices shouldn't have to start paying for features native to their device and platform. And before anyone makes any daft comments about entitlement, don't forget that it's been us loyal users who have bought devices and inadvertently landed up as beta testers for BB10, it was our complaints and suggestions that have brought around the changes that we are seeing on the OS now, I could go on for ages.
    Point being this, at some point the fact that there are many of us running BB10 devices, shouldn't be forgotten or taken for granted, but the more time goes on, the more actual BlackBerry users are being told that things that are native to them will now be charged for usage.

Posted via CB10 from my Z30
    11-02-14 01:42 AM
    There's no evidence that BlackBerry will start charging for bbm.

It would be suicidal if they did anyway.

I think they should just focus on making bbm even bigger and better and eventually charge for calls to landlines etc. Aka skype replacement.

Posted via CB10
    I'm afraid there is...

From Inside Blackberry, their own statement :

With these new features, now is the time to get your friends on BBM to start enjoying the unmatched level of privacy and control. Timed Messages and Message Retraction features are premium features that will be available free and without restriction over the next three months. After this time, unrestricted access to these features will become part of a broader bundle of features that will be offered as part of a BBM subscription

The link:

http://blogs.blackberry.com/2014/10/...eatures-video/

11-02-14 01:55 AM
    I'm afraid there is...

From Inside Blackberry, their own statement :

With these new features, now is the time to get your friends on BBM to start enjoying the unmatched level of privacy and control. Timed Messages and Message Retraction features are premium features that will be available free and without restriction over the next three months. After this time, unrestricted access to these features will become part of a broader bundle of features that will be offered as part of a BBM subscription

The link:

Get the New BBM for Privacy, Control and Much, Much More | Inside BlackBerry

Yeah it's a bogus move. They don't have the marketshare or the product to do this with. BBM is a small player in the messaging game. Even in the business world. Individuals will not pay for this and when they see they don't have full access to the suite of features (which is far from even being complete or really competitive at this point) they'll just bail. I would be shocked if ANYONE is only using BBM. Dumping it wouldn't be difficult for anyone really.
    jefbeard911 likes this.
    11-02-14 02:04 AM
    Wow.

3 months is too short. Should be at least a year or two.

Posted via CB10
    jefbeard911 likes this.
    11-02-14 02:19 AM
    Voice calls Bbm <-> Mobile Phones, Landlines
    A lot of guys would pay for that feature
    I definitely would.
    11-02-14 05:15 AM
156 ... 34567