OK, silky question time, the main BBM platform will remain free, right??

Posted via CB10
    Yes, I think that was clear in the press release. It seems people don't understand the word "premium". My impression is that they will offer everything Whatsapp does (plus a bit more) for free and then the other elements will be bundled and a charge applied. That would give them a bit of a tactical advantage over Whatsapp who currently charges for their limited and never changing base offerings. It would allow Blackberry to also respond to market conditions.
    10-31-14 02:28 PM
    Been using this feature so much today, it's so nice to be able to send a message that are private. people are always looking at my messages lol. And now they cant. If this does eventually become a "subscription" service. I won't be continuing with it.

Already paying. $2 for BBM per month just to use the service. Not going to spend more just to use a messaging system and one or 2 features, that's just rediculous. Rather use whatsapp or Wechat then.

Really hope they change their minds and keep it as a "normal" feature. I really love my bbm so much.

But BlackBerry is going to kill it by doing this. None of my friends are going to pay a subscription for this. They holding on by a thread as is.
    Timed Messages and Retraction are Paid features-img_20141031_212434_edit.png
    Last edited by Matty; 10-31-14 at 02:41 PM.
    nah.uhh, moyah8 and Rello like this.
    10-31-14 02:30 PM
    i guess its good to try things for more $$$ but introducing features like this arent the way IMO. I certainly dont have much use nor would I pay for them. Also to me this defeats some of the security aspects. People can now have parts of a convo disappear and change conversation meanings.
    To comment on the last part of your post - from the video demo that was released last week it appears that the message is replaced with a message saying that the original message was retracted. So yes retracting a message could change the conversation meaning but at least it'll be clear that a message was deleted.
    10-31-14 03:06 PM
    Yes, I think that was clear in the press release. It seems people don't understand the word "premium". My impression is that they will offer everything Whatsapp does (plus a bit more) for free and then the other elements will be bundled and a charge applied. That would give them a bit of a tactical advantage over Whatsapp who currently charges for their limited and never changing base offerings. It would allow Blackberry to also respond to market conditions.
    I thought it was from what I had read, but other people's comments were starting to make me think otherwise, but thanks for setting the record straight

Posted via CB10
    10-31-14 03:17 PM
    I'm not even going to try. I can't tout BBM as a better option than what they're using if they have to pay for usage of features. Stickers don't count.
    I agree. I'm gonna wait for more details and features to be released, as well as if this is going to be a subscription or one time fee but as of right now, I view it as a messaging app that has a long way to go before it reaches the top, and now plans to charge for features that it could've had years ago had BBM not sat idle

Posted via CB10
    10-31-14 03:21 PM
    Been using this feature so much today, it's so nice to be able to send a message that are private. people are always looking at my messages lol. And now they cant. If this does eventually become a "subscription" service. I won't be continuing with it.

Already paying. $2 for BBM per month just to use the service. Not going to spend more just to use a messaging system and one or 2 features, that's just rediculous. Rather use whatsapp or Wechat then.

Really hope they change their minds and keep it as a "normal" feature. I really love my bbm so much.

But BlackBerry is going to kill it by doing this. None of my friends are going to pay a subscription for this. They holding on by a thread as is.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141031_212434_edit.png 
Views:	726 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	311012
    But isn't this option (timed message) only available IF the recipient is using the same version of BBM??
    10-31-14 03:28 PM
    Buy a BB phone... Yes i did. Buy stickers... yep...did that. Charge me for BBM features.. You're joking right? I'm a BB Fan... Don't know if i want to be a BB Sucker!!
    eldricho, AL8x B, Smitty13 and 4 others like this.
    10-31-14 03:48 PM
    I bought the blackberry phone so i think as a loyal fan we should have these features free!!
    10-31-14 04:31 PM
    I love BBM and if the features are really useful I might be willing to pay for a subscription. This should be a yearly subscription at a reasonable price though.

However, I don't think there will be many who want to pay for such a thing - especially non BlackBerry users. It's difficult enough to get them to use BBM instead of WhatsApp.
    10-31-14 04:57 PM
    If this is true then no one will use it and slowly BBM will lose people, who is the genius behind these monetizing ideas? Unbelievable!!

Posted via CB10
    nah.uhh likes this.
    10-31-14 05:10 PM
    I bought the blackberry phone so i think as a loyal fan we should have these features free!!
    The entitlement is strong with this one, wow.

Posted via CB10
    unbreakablej likes this.
    10-31-14 05:11 PM
    Not happy for paying for such features!

Stickers! Great - some are free, for some you have to pay!

Wallpapers - why not!

Voice calls Bbm <-> Bbm should stay free

Voice calls Bbm <-> Mobile Phones, Landlines
    A lot of guys would pay for that feature

BBM Video calls - one time fee for 2 years, BlackBerry 10 version should remain free and be able to initiate Video Calls even to other users that don't have paid the one time fee.

Posted via CB10
    Smitty13 likes this.
    10-31-14 05:12 PM
    If this is true then no one will use it and slowly BBM will lose people, who is the genius behind these monetizing ideas? Unbelievable!!

Posted via CB10
    Why? We're talking about additional features here. The basic functionality will continue to be free. I don't think this will draw anyone away from BBM or keep them from using it.
    10-31-14 05:16 PM
    I'm not even going to try. I can't tout BBM as a better option than what they're using if they have to pay for usage of features. Stickers don't count.
    You make it sound like stickers are free.

I find it hard to believe that people pay for stickers, but apparently they're doing quite well. So may whatever the bundle contains will be compelling enough.

Of course if the bundle has compelling features it could be a premium product worth a subscription based on those features alone... and they could put features that would attract casual users in the free trim level to help grow the base, which would make channels easier and more lucrative to monetize.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-14 05:31 PM
    OK, silky question time, the main BBM platform will remain free, right??

Posted via CB10
    Correct.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-14 05:43 PM
    Oh God, they better not be charging for cross platform video, have been keeping people on bbm by telling them it's going to come

If they release it as a paid feature, about 20 people will be gone from my contacts list

Posted via CB10
    10-31-14 06:10 PM
    I have no issues with having to pay for extra features as long as BBM remains free. As for what will consist in the bundle and how much it costs is what interests me. If BlackBerry where to bring a variation of BIS back and charge a small monthly fee I would consider it if it where low price under $5.00 per month. Maybe they would unlock features where you can use blend with BBM to hold BBM meetings. I can see BlackBerry slowly making blend a integral part of bb10. I also think there a lot of things that BlackBerry has to announce that the public may not know about. Either way I am very excited about the future of BlackBerry

Posted from my Crackberry 10 App on Blackberry Passport
    10-31-14 06:50 PM
    Why? We're talking about additional features here. The basic functionality will continue to be free. I don't think this will draw anyone away from BBM or keep them from using it.
    Because people don't like using an app thats got half it's features "paid features"

At least people won't be jumping to BBM and the user base won't ever grow

Posted via CB10
    10-31-14 07:32 PM
    Just love how everyone seems to want everything free..... so BB will develop and implement all these features..... give them away with no revenue gain... guess users must actually want BB to go out of business as if they do not create revenue streams.. this is exactly what will happen... I must assume when BB money is implemented here that all those who complain will expect there will no charge for transactions.... pretty simple... if you have no use for the service... paid or not.... do not use them..... not as if BB has decided to charge for BBM.... guess it is true... people really want something for nothing..... People seem to forget BB is a business not a charity.....
    gokulesh likes this.
    10-31-14 07:53 PM
    I don't see this is mentioned in BlackBerry World so maybe it's a false alarm?

Posted via CB10
    10-31-14 09:14 PM
    ....the BBM features that have always been free should remain free to users, including one on one BBM video/voice, if anything only the newest and above the rim future features should be compromised with a fee, including BBM video conference calling and all the rest of the message retraction, etc. Its important to keep the current users happy with the features they currently have as part of the basic free BBM service and always be mindful of any future new users, both BlackBerry device users and all cross platform users of iOS and Android/WP. Tread smartly BlackBerry!
    10-31-14 09:34 PM
    Just love how everyone seems to want everything free..... so BB will develop and implement all these features..... give them away with no revenue gain... guess users must actually want BB to go out of business as if they do not create revenue streams.. this is exactly what will happen... I must assume when BB money is implemented here that all those who complain will expect there will no charge for transactions.... pretty simple... if you have no use for the service... paid or not.... do not use them..... not as if BB has decided to charge for BBM.... guess it is true... people really want something for nothing..... People seem to forget BB is a business not a charity.....
    BBM is not a company! They get revenue from a lot of other sources, BlackBerry themselves said BBM is not a high revenue source, so why stop your user base from growing and jump into monetizing something just three month after it's deployment?

At least if everything is free on BBM then the user base will grow and BBM will be worth a lot more than it is now or they can just monetize it later when the user base grows.

Get it?

Edit: do you pay for whatsapp? NO and whatsapp is a company, not part of something like BBM and yet you see BBM trying it's best to get every penny out of the users.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-14 09:58 PM
    And what features would they be. Insecure platform, stolen information, crappy video, no screen share, questional connections and quality of output. Look, I have no doubt you can cobble something together but that isn't the point. Its high time that core communication are brought together in a coherent package; it has considerable value to many people. Just take Skype, for example. I loath this program as it is non intuitive and one is constantly fumbling around to get it to work. Would I pay for a BBM service that actually worked consistently? ABSOLUTELY.
    Do you really think BlackBerry are the only ones that can provide a secure, quality product? Really? Time to come of the BlackBerry bubble. It's a big world out there.

Sent from my awesome BlackBerry Z3 running BlackBerry 10 - 2BBEAACF
    10-31-14 09:59 PM
    I just received an update of Bbm from bbw. I see the timer and retraction features. It did not prompt for any payment etc.

BBRY Passport
    10-31-14 10:27 PM
    I just received an update of Bbm from bbw. I see the timer and retraction features. It did not prompt for any payment etc.

BBRY Passport
    Correct.

It's free for 3 months. After that it will revert to a paid feature.

Sent from my awesome BlackBerry Z3 running BlackBerry 10 - 2BBEAACF
    10-31-14 10:36 PM
156 12345 ...