Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
    I am trying to get some awareness regarding an issue where at&t is forcing users with unlimited data plans to subscribe to a mobile share or a tiered data plan in order to get access to built in BlackBerry features like BBM Voice and BBM Video.

Currently the majority of unlimited data user (some users have been able to use bbm calling) only have access to mobile calling over Wifi and Not Mobile or Cellular Network. The option to make bbm voice calls over the mobile network had been grayed out.

AT&T vs Customers with Unlimited Data Plans-img_20140214_111830.png

As bbm has grown and is now cross- platform this will affect the on the go bbm calling experience of multiple users including iPhone, Android & BlackBerry users.

This also affects At&t users who use mobile calling over the ATT network for FaceTime on iPhone and Google Hangouts .

Below are links to articles quoting At&t as saying that they will have video calling available to users of all plans by 2013 but that has not been the case.

AT&T says 'any' mobile video chat app will work on its network by the end of 2013
    AT&T says 'any' mobile video chat app will work on its network by the end of 2013 | The Verge

AT&T confirms that all video chat apps will work over cellular by the end of this year
    AT&T confirms that all video chat apps will work over cellular by the end of this year

AT&T says all customers will soon get access to FaceTime, Hangouts over cellular
    AT&T: Video chat apps over cellular will be unlocked by year’s end | BGR

If this affect you and your user experience of your device simply reach out to at&t and the writers of these articles and express your opinion

See below for their contact information and twitter handles

The Verge
    @thedextriarchy @verge
    adi@theverge.com

Engadget
    @ZACHHONIG @engadget
    zach@engadget.com

BGR | Mobile and tech news, reviews, opinions and insights
    @dangraziano @cnet @bgr

http://forums.att.com/
    @att @ATTCustomerCare

Sample tweet
    @thedextriarchy @verge #DIDNOTHAPPEN @att says any mobile video chat app will work on its network by the end of 2013 AT&T says 'any' mobile video chat app will work on its network by the end of 2013 | The Verge

Let your voice be heard and send a message to these carriers that we refuse to be forced into plans just because it will make them more money.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by niceup; 02-17-14 at 01:57 PM.
    raino likes this.
    02-17-14 01:24 PM
    weird.. now that i'm reading this post- previously i have not been able to change that "allow BBM calls over mobile" option because it was usually greyed out. Now I check (I'm running .1925 official) and i can turn it off and on now. i'm on AT&T with a grandfathered unlimited plan. Really the only reason i'm still with them.
    02-17-14 03:37 PM
    weird.. now that i'm reading this post- previously i have not been able to change that "allow BBM calls over mobile" option because it was usually greyed out. Now I check (I'm running .1925 official) and i can turn it off and on now. i'm on AT&T with a grandfathered unlimited plan. Really the only reason i'm still with them.
    Did you do anything differently?

Posted via CB10
    02-17-14 05:14 PM
    I have the same leaked OS with at&t, it worked for a day but then it stopped and the option to use it on the network got grayed out. I also had the option to switch it off and on.

Posted via CB10
    02-17-14 05:51 PM
    Did you do anything differently?

Posted via CB10
    not that i know of.. only that i installed .1925. But I've been using it since it leaked.. and i have official now although I haven't really been checking on this option I just noticed this now so i don't know at what point, but it was between 10.2 and 10.2.1 for sure. For the record I'm using Verizon's .1925.
    02-17-14 09:47 PM
    Turning off network data and using only wifi to download BlackBerry bridge worked for getting Internet on PlayBook, would turning off network and download Bbm allow you to turn on Bbm voice over network?
    02-17-14 10:06 PM
    Turning off network data and using only wifi to download BlackBerry bridge worked for getting Internet on PlayBook, would turning off network and download Bbm allow you to turn on Bbm voice over network?
    it's possible.. why not try it? everytime i don't restore and start fresh i remember to do that to block AT&T's grip on BBRY's balls... i mean having free tethering.
    02-17-14 10:28 PM
    But is there a way to delete and then reinstall bbm?
    02-17-14 10:37 PM
    I have an unlimited plan and it is greyed out for me. I'm going to complain as you suggested. Funny, I had no issue in retaining the plan when most people said att gave them a hard time.
    Of course, I only got Facetime on 4G iPhone 4S a couple months ago, so maybe they are just getting there and iphone was first.
    niceup likes this.
    02-17-14 10:49 PM
    Can confirm that I installed old bbm channels bar file, took out sim card and updated to latest bbm and now I can toggle on or off voice over network
    02-18-14 12:47 AM
    I've always been able to do both BBM vid/call... I have ulmt. data plan

Posted via Q10
    02-18-14 09:28 AM
    Can confirm that I installed old bbm channels bar file, took out sim card and updated to latest bbm and now I can toggle on or off voice over network
    Which bbm bar file did you use?
    Do you mind sharing?

Posted via CB10
    02-18-14 03:31 PM
    I've always been able to do both BBM vid/call... I have ulmt. data plan

Posted via Q10
    What version is your os?

Posted via CB10
    02-18-14 03:32 PM
    Don't think you can delete bbm.
    You can re-install and old bar over the new one.

But is there a way to delete and then reinstall bbm?
    02-18-14 03:41 PM
    I loaded the old channels bbm bar that leak and reinstall the new bbm I was able to toggle the voice on and off but after a while It locked again and now bbm acting kinda weird
    02-18-14 05:17 PM
    @fmurillo562
    Most likely, your carrier communicated with your phone when you replaced the SIM. Then it added carrier goodies. I have an unlocked Z10 and I had no ATT "baggage" for a day. Then, my phone picked up all the ATT stuff, like ringtones and settings. I had an iPhone 4 and I didn't even know that they turned on the Facetime to call via 4G. Never used it. Still, they should offer it if they do for other platforms.
    02-19-14 03:32 PM
    Alas, I am not authorized to provide support from home, but I can tell you that unlimited data is only stopped from tethering, not much else. The issue is likely with a video chat feature in the billing system failing to provision, or some back end APN nonsense. Sometimes re-provisioning an unlimited data feature will fix that.

What? When you call, ask if they can re-add your data feature, effective (the day you call), by deleting your data plan AND ADDING THE SAME PLAN in the same transaction. Do not have them delete it and re-add it, because that takes days. It's hard to explain. Heck, just tell them to take your same data feature, add it AGAIN, effective today, then set the old copy of it to be deleted today, then save everything.

Wow, that doesn't help much. Hm. Too much crap I'm not allowed to describe.
    02-24-14 08:00 AM
    Now that wasn't fair. There is no way anyone could call ATT with that line and have something good come of it. Next post you make on the subject should make some real recommendations with something more than just do this and it will all be better. We're probably better off Tweeting ATT isn't providing a service they promised.
    02-24-14 09:04 PM
    Unlimited plan here with AT&T too and I can't turn that option on either. Maybe I'll give them a call in a few days to enquire. At this point I'm honestly tired of sitting on hold with them for so long before I get a person.
    02-24-14 09:13 PM
    Unlimited plan here with AT&T too and I can't turn that option on either. Maybe I'll give them a call in a few days to enquire. At this point I'm honestly tired of sitting on hold with them for so long before I get a person.
    Use twitter, the more people that tweet at @att @attcustomercare the better

Posted via CB10
    02-24-14 10:16 PM
    I have a grandfathered unlimited plan. AT&T refuses to activate my video through BBM. I spent quite awhile chatting with tech support yesterday. I was told they will not support BBM video for unlimited plans and I have to switch to Mobile Share or tiered data plan if I want BBM video on network. (Works fine on WiFi.)

I suspect that this issue is one of the primary reasons they are delaying the official OTA release for OS 10.2. That's the sort of "testing" that AT&T is doing - making sure they don't accidentally enable something that keep them from charging more.
    04-01-14 10:36 AM
    I have a grandfathered unlimited plan. AT&T refuses to activate my video through BBM. I spent quite awhile chatting with tech support yesterday. I was told they will not support BBM video for unlimited plans and I have to switch to Mobile Share or tiered data plan if I want BBM video on network. (Works fine on WiFi.)

I suspect that this issue is one of the primary reasons they are delaying the official OTA release for OS 10.2. That's the sort of "testing" that AT&T is doing - making sure they don't accidentally enable something that keep them from charging more.
    That makes AT&T sounds so sinister. Spot on.

Posted via CB10
    04-01-14 03:32 PM
    Just turned my wifi off on Saturday and I'm noticing today that I can voice/video chat over bbm on my unlimited plan. Anyone else notice this?

Posted via CB10
    stlabrat likes this.
    04-14-14 05:38 PM
    Just turned my wifi off on Saturday and I'm noticing today that I can voice/video chat over bbm on my unlimited plan. Anyone else notice this?

Posted via CB10
    Same here.

Posted via CB10
    04-14-14 08:24 PM