It is now well-known that BBM has the weakest security out of all messaging apps on the market, yet BlackBerry/TCL include it on all devices.

It almost seems counter-intuitive that "the most secure Android smartphone" comes with the least secure messaging app. If there is one big hole on a BlackBerry device, it's BBM.

I know a lot of people still think BBM is secure, but right now, it's a huge hole in the bucket.

Just my thoughts.
    anon(10218918) likes this.
    11-29-18 08:11 AM
    I'll repost what I wrote in another thread:

It's not a complete lack of security. It's still encrypted. The difference is that Emtek has the key. So far, there is no evidence that they have violated privacy.

WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger have end-to-end, but through the magic of meta-data, extracts quite a bit from its users.

"Security" isn't black and white.
    11-29-18 08:46 AM
    The chinese phones variants as my BBB100-4 aren't shipped with BBM.
    11-30-18 05:15 AM
    It almost seems counter-intuitive that "the most secure Android smartphone" comes with the least secure messaging app.
    It also seems counter-intuitive that "the most secure Android smartphone" doesn't have consistent monthly updates or Pie, but I guess that's nitpicking.
    11-30-18 02:38 PM
    The chinese phones variants as my BBB100-4 aren't shipped with BBM.
    My 100-1 Europe (bought directly from BlackBerry Europe) also didn't ship with BBM.
    12-11-18 03:48 PM
    It also seems counter-intuitive that "the most secure Android smartphone" doesn't have consistent monthly updates or Pie, but I guess that's nitpicking.
    My AT&T KEYone actually gets very consistent updates, even if they're not precisely monthly. I feel better with BlackBerry's hardened version of Android and patches a couple of weeks late here and there than I would with instant patches on a less secure Android implementation. Most of the patches address theoretical vulnerabilities that have never been exploited, but the weaknesses in less aggressive implementations of the Android security model are published, well-known by hackers, and will never be patched by those OEMs.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    12-11-18 04:14 PM
    My 100-1 Europe (bought directly from BlackBerry Europe) also didn't ship with BBM.
    Oh that's nice! I thought that only chinese ones was shipped without the bloat
    12-12-18 04:26 AM