BBM has been my main source of communication while traveling for many years. I travel internationally and am on ships at sea usually weekly. I have used BBM on the ship at sea for years, it worked when nothing else did.

Now BBM has become bloated and is sluggish. I have Kik loaded on my Z10, we used it for a short time when my wife switched to Android and before BBM was out on Android. As soon as she got BBM on her Android, we went back to BBM.

I am finding Kik to be much faster and less aggravating now than BBM. I this a shame. I am tired of BBM defaulting to stickers when I try to add an emoticon. Often I can respond quickly one handed to my wife with an emoticon when I cannot type. She at least knows I'm there and have acknowledged her. I respond with a message as soon as I can. Now I can't do that easily, it goes to the sticker screen.

Occasionally it now takes around 29 seconds to load the irritating sticker/emoticon screen. I am not sure why BlackBerry seems intent on ruining the best parts of their product. Between that and the horrific contact app, they are destroying themselves from within. I stay with BlackBerry because I love the OS, I appreciate the fact I can opt out of their data collection, unlike Apple or Android, and the gesture based navigation is fantastic. I just wish they would focus on what made them great, rather than doing an extremely poor job of wooing teenaged users to their service. All they are doing is driving their current users away. Unfortunately there is nowhere to go from here, the other platforms don't appeal to me due to their lack of respect for users' privacy, etc.

It is a shame. BlackBerry needs to listen to the complaints regarding BBM and make a quick correction.

Ugh...

Posted via CB10
    02-17-15 11:53 AM
    Even whatsapp is faster then bbm, especially on the EDGE or low range gsm /wifi

Posted via CB10
    02-17-15 12:03 PM
    I like kik. It's a great, simple app.

I don't want to get hypercritical, but I don't understand how ads and stickers in BBM fit with BlackBerry's focus on business. It just doesn't seem to make sense. Why would a business-person want to use a distracting and slightly childish messenger service?
    Powdah, aurelpascu24 and RRM21 like this.
    02-17-15 12:04 PM
    On BBM your wife see if you read the message thanks to the green R, you dont have to send an emoticon...:P ok, but for real- I dont like the Stickers too. Sad but I like WA in some cases better than BBM! Others may like KIK etc.
    BBY should do something with their own apps!
    02-17-15 12:12 PM
    Meh...to many pedophiles on Kik.
    WorldwideRemix likes this.
    02-17-15 12:28 PM
    Lol, yes I know she sees that I read it, and that is more the issue, she wonders when I see buy don't respond.

I live BBM, it served us well when we lived apart, in different countries, it was a quick way to stay in constant touch. We still use it that way. It is losing that quality now though, and that's a shame.

Posted via CB10
    02-17-15 04:25 PM
    Lol, yes I know she sees that I read it, and that is more the issue, she wonders when I see buy don't respond.

I live BBM, it served us well when we lived apart, in different countries, it was a quick way to stay in constant touch. We still use it that way. It is losing that quality now though, and that's a shame.

Posted via CB10
    My bbm isn't slow at all. Why don't you just send a sticker, it's much faster than picking out a tiny emoticon...
    For the record I don't like the stickers defaulting either but really? Makes it slow? Mine loads instantly
    02-17-15 05:15 PM
    I'm glad yours isn't, mine is at times. It usually occurs after a restart, when I turn it back on after landing at an airport. It is annoying. This never happened before the latest update. I stayed on an old version until 10.3.1. After updating it is slow. Keep in mind, I'm often on a slower system when I'm out of the country. It was never slow before.

It is just too bad. It was good because it was quick and not bloated. Now it is becoming bloated.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-15 10:35 AM
    I don't know. What's your device ? Have you tried wiping and starting over?
    I'm on a passport so I don't notice any lag at all. But my z30 never lagged either...

Unless you mean it's related to the network being slow.
    02-18-15 01:08 PM
    Did you update to the most recent version? I believe that the most recent version has emoticons as the default, instead of the stickers.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-15 01:13 PM
    I hate stickers. Why bb didn't give us an option to uninstall. BTW why a business messenger need stickers?

Posted via CB10
    02-18-15 01:50 PM
    Bbm isn't slow. It's always on in the hub

Posted via CB10
    02-18-15 01:51 PM
    Did you update to the most recent version? I believe that the most recent version has emoticons as the default, instead of the stickers.

Posted via CB10
    I have the latest. It is erratic. Sometimes it goes to emoticons, sometimes to stickers. If it did one or the other all the time it wouldn't be as bad.
    02-19-15 12:22 PM
    I don't know. What's your device ? Have you tried wiping and starting over?
    I'm on a passport so I don't notice any lag at all. But my z30 never lagged either...

Unless you mean it's related to the network being slow.
    Chances are, if you are always on a fast network, you might not run into a problem. My point is that under the same conditions, BBM is now slower, much slower. If you are on a fast network you won't have an issue. I often have very slow service, on a ship at sea. BBM used to be the best under those conditions, it worked when nothing else would. Now, it lags horribly. Kik still works quickly, although I prefer BBM. There is really no reason for it to have become so bad, except for the inclusion of stickers, and the way they are implemented.

Kik has stickers, but they load instantaneously despite me being on a slow network.

BBM is going the way of a teenager's toy. It is a shame. I truly hope Blackberry listens and corrects the sticker snafu. If it would default to emoticons consistently, and load quicker, then it would be once again fine. As it is, it often takes quite some time for it to load even the app itself and become useable.

The vast majority of users on this site never experience a truly slow network, you won't see a problem. However, even turning the phone on in an area with a good network I can experience a very slow initialization of BBM. It is not what it used to be. I am simply comparing it to what it once was. It is not an improvement, it is worse.

Some of you won't notice this either. You rarely have to turn your phone completely off and then back on. When you do, you do not immediately need BBM. If I fly into an airport, I will turn the phone on, then need to use BBM quickly before having to put the phone away for immigration. I prefer to be able to use it from my seat as we are taxiing to the gate. It often isn't ready in time now. It used to be ready in an instant on OS 10.2. Now it is very slow to start.
    02-19-15 12:32 PM