BlackBerry 10 confirmed to get video chat in BBM
    BlackBerry 10 confirmed to get video chat in BBM | The Verge

All I can say is WOW! This is huge news.

#winning
    07-10-12 11:20 AM
    yes it is.
    07-10-12 11:21 AM
    This is not a surprise for any playbook users. The video chat on the playbook ROCKS. Surprisingly great sound and video quality. Back and front cameras.

Just integrate it with the contact list and PIM's tighter and you have a video BBM in the works.
    Neely2005 likes this.
    07-10-12 11:26 AM
    sounds great! but will there be skype?
    07-10-12 11:30 AM
    its the worst kept secret ever.
    Toodeurep and FigureThisOut like this.
    07-10-12 11:32 AM
    sounds great! but will there be skype?
    You forgot the sarcasm tag.
    Blackberry_boffin likes this.
    07-10-12 11:33 AM
    Good news, but they need to figure out some cross-platform functionality. It would help the platform.
    07-10-12 11:34 AM
    The problem is those of us #blackberrybychoice users who don't know anyone on BBM (or anyone with a BB for that matter). Cross-platform is not a dirty word.
    Toodeurep and jegs2 like this.
    07-10-12 11:35 AM
    You forgot the sarcasm tag.

I don't think he did... unless BBM will be available for other platforms.

With less than 10% marketshare a platform depended feature is not going to impress the other 90%.
    07-10-12 11:37 AM
    I don't think he did... unless BBM will be available for other platforms.

With less than 10% marketshare a platform depended feature is not going to impress the other 90%.
    The 90% are bored with their toys. They are waiting patiently to get BlackBerry 10 devices. The media and competitions (ala Microsoft, who owns Skype) want to kill of BlackBerry.

I have skype on my computer. I don't need it on my phone as well.
    07-10-12 11:40 AM
    The 90% are bored with their toys. They are waiting patiently to get BlackBerry 10 devices. The media and competitions (ala Microsoft, who owns Skype) want to kill of BlackBerry.

I have skype on my computer. I don't need it on my phone as well.
    I humbly believe that the myopic "well-I-don't-need-it-so-no-one-else-should" view only hurts RIM.

If you think people are not making decisions based on features you don't need on your phone, then think again. The presence of features -- reasonably put together -- available on other platforms is a good thing.

RIM seems to be figuring it out, and that is a good thing as well.
    07-10-12 11:54 AM
    Well that's nice and all but at the rate of decline I'm seeing on my BBM contact list by the time this feature goes live it will be about as useful as the Playbook video-chat; which is to say Not Very.

At this stage RIM needs to stop thinking about platform-locked video chat and get going on some sort of cross-platform useability. Apple can lock Facetime to their devices because they have a huge market share and the service extends to their desktop OS; RIM can't get away with doing the same and expect the dwindling user base to get too excited about it.
    07-10-12 11:56 AM
    Well that's nice and all but at the rate of decline I'm seeing on my BBM contact list by the time this feature goes live it will be about as useful as the Playbook video-chat; which is to say Not Very.

At this stage RIM needs to stop thinking about platform-locked video chat and get going on some sort of cross-platform useability. Apple can lock Facetime to their devices because they have a huge market share and the service extends to their desktop OS; RIM can't get away with doing the same and expect the dwindling user base to get too excited about it.
    Yep.

Apple added Facetime to the plethora of third-party cross-platform apps (Skype, ooVoo, etc) already available to iOS users. Android did the same (in reverse order) with Google Chat, and in fact created another cross-platform video chat option (Google+).

Those platforms have multiple choices: cross-platform and a platform-unique one.

Pull folks in with good cross-platform chat, and then keep them invested with a proprietary version.

I do really like the BBM functionality. It does make sense. I still think RIM should quit dancing with Skype and go for a competitor with a decent cross-platform clientele. BB10 videochat with, say, ooVoo functionality built in would be pretty cool, IMHO.
    Mikey_T likes this.
    07-10-12 12:03 PM
    Or at the very least bring out a compatible Windows desktop app or browser plug-in to add some useability.
    07-10-12 12:16 PM
    I want a device w/ BBM chat, Google+ Hangout, and Skype. My ugly mug would be everywhere. Muahahahaha.
    mzceetee and howarmat like this.
    07-10-12 12:31 PM
    There has been some speculation that RIM is seeking to integrate other messaging platforms into its own client, but how successful they've been in that effort is anyone's guess.
    07-10-12 12:48 PM
    F.U.C.K YES. iMessage what?
    07-10-12 01:31 PM
    Or at the very least bring out a compatible Windows desktop app or browser plug-in to add some useability.
    Which is how skype pulled us all in.
    07-10-12 01:36 PM
    Oh good. Video chat with only pb owners, can already do that, and bb10 owners who are zero at this time.
    CairnsRock likes this.
    07-10-12 01:41 PM
    F.U.C.K YES. iMessage what?
    FaceTime..
    07-10-12 01:45 PM
    This is good news. Pretty much what would have been expected considering that now BB10
    devices will have a front-facing camera. It was only a matter of time before a feature like
    this would be announced.
    07-10-12 01:46 PM
    Am I the only one who has the large majority of their contacts on BBM?
    My BBM contact list has grown faster than it has lost.
    I only know a couple people with android and 1 person with an iphone.
    Most I know are either loyal to blackberry or completely indifferent and bought what was cheap ( android ) or cool at the time. Most are likely to switch to the next big thing - hopefully BB10.
    I hosted a party recently, and a friend with an android phone was talking about it and said something about not wanting a blackberry like everyone else. Then everyone else flashed their blackberries...lol
    I have 5 contacts on my playbook video chat list. I only know 1 person who has an ipad ( my cousin ), who wishes he bought a playbook, as his ipad collects dust.
    hpjrt likes this.
    07-10-12 03:22 PM
    Am I the only one who has the large majority of their contacts on BBM?
    My BBM contact list has grown faster than it has lost.
    I only know a couple people with android and 1 person with an iphone.
    Most I know are either loyal to blackberry or completely indifferent and bought what was cheap ( android ) or cool at the time. Most are likely to switch to the next big thing - hopefully BB10.
    I hosted a party recently, and a friend with an android phone was talking about it and said something about not wanting a blackberry like everyone else. Then everyone else flashed their blackberries...lol
    I have 5 contacts on my playbook video chat list. I only know 1 person who has an ipad ( my cousin ), who wishes he bought a playbook, as his ipad collects dust.
    I am happy for you, but with RIM`s 11% smartphone installed base there`s a pretty good chance that for most people the majority of their friends will not be on BBM. There`s about 1B smartphones out there and almost all of them are messaging. iMessage alone has 140M users sending out over 1B messages per day. Sounds to me like a grand opportunity - get a version of BBM out there (with or without videochat) that will appeal to 1B folks, not just 80M.

No?
    07-10-12 04:03 PM
    I humbly believe that the myopic "well-I-don't-need-it-so-no-one-else-should" view only hurts RIM.

If you think people are not making decisions based on features you don't need on your phone, then think again. The presence of features -- reasonably put together -- available on other platforms is a good thing.

RIM seems to be figuring it out, and that is a good thing as well.
    I think you should have a beef with Microsoft and NOT RIM for not bringing Skype onto the BlackBerry Playbook.

What a twisted view. The development team at RIM has reiterated time and time again that if Skype's dev team wanted to put their app onto the device they'd have a dozen+ RIM devs fly over there and speed up the development.

All the tools are there for Skype(Microsoft) to make their app work on BlackBerry Playbook and BB10 devices.

Go contact Microsoft.
    hpjrt likes this.
    07-10-12 11:06 PM
    I think you should have a beef with Microsoft and NOT RIM for not bringing Skype onto the BlackBerry Playbook.

What a twisted view. The development team at RIM has reiterated time and time again that if Skype's dev team wanted to put their app onto the device they'd have a dozen+ RIM devs fly over there and speed up the development.

All the tools are there for Skype(Microsoft) to make their app work on BlackBerry Playbook and BB10 devices.

Go contact Microsoft.
    What? You lost me LOL. Did you misquote the wrong person?

My view is that RIM should quit trying to do business with an entity that seems not to be interested, and check out a smaller player that is cross-platform. I would hope that this view is not, uh, twisted.
    07-10-12 11:27 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD