09-28-14 04:10 AM
560 ... 89101112 ...
tools
    I think BBM channels is their main plan for it.

Posted via my awesome BlackBerry Z10
    Yes but then that would mean companies paying huge amount of money for sponsored channels right? I can't see it. Channels is pretty awful overall.
    That's harsh, but look at the channels, even the ones you'd think would be pushing to show the advantages.
    BlackBerry has a channel that's barely updated, when it is its mindless ad speak.
    The BlackBerry execs have channels where they lose the plot and don't seem to want it to be social.
    Crackberry channel rarely gets news, and always days after the website.
    Kevin channel is barely updated.
    Heck channel updates don't even come into the hub.
    Realistically, so far, there's absolutely zero evidence they can monetise channels in its current form.

Posted via CB10
    kevinnugent likes this.
    10-29-13 10:59 AM
    Yes but then that would mean companies paying huge amount of money for sponsored channels right? I can't see it. Channels is pretty awful overall.
    That's harsh, but look at the channels, even the ones you'd think would be pushing to show the advantages.
    BlackBerry has a channel that's barely updated, when it is its mindless ad speak.
    The BlackBerry execs have channels where they lose the plot and don't seem to want it to be social.
    Crackberry channel rarely gets news, and always days after the website.
    Kevin channel is barely updated.
    Heck channel updates don't even come into the hub.
    Realistically, so far, there's absolutely zero evidence they can monetise channels in its current form.

Posted via CB10
    Why keep the channel constantly updated if is still in beta? I'm pretty sure channels will receive updates in a regular basis after official launch. I think channels can be succeeded if BBM adoption keep like this. It's a unique mobile social community inside an im app. You see, for example, Facebook has a huge profit with advertising on pc, but mobile is still a challenge for them. If BBM keep this pace, BBM channels has a big chance.

10-29-13 11:05 AM
    I think we need to understand how messaging works on the other platforms; Android Central provided the following explanation to new BBM users on Android: http://m.androidcentral.com/bbm-has-...t-want-turn-it

I just did a test with a colleague with an iPhone; he had the app closed while I sent a message to him. He received a toast notification on screen and the BBM icon was displaying the number 1; the whole time all I saw was a checkmark in my BB10 BBM app. As soon as he tapped on the BBM icon, my checkmark changed to a "D", and then "R". He indicated that iOS does not allow third party apps to run constantly active in the background and it was his opinion that this is the correct implementation for iOS. Since our BlackBerry experience is one of a constantly running app, here is where I believe the confusion lies.

Posted via my Z10
    No. You see with me, they don't receive the messages at all. Or sometimes they just get a blank one.

"If you can't soar with the eagles then don't fly with the flock!" (BBM#18)
    10-29-13 11:22 AM
    Why keep the channel constantly updated if is still in beta? I'm pretty sure channels will receive updates in a regular basis after official launch. I think channels can be succeeded if BBM adoption keep like this. It's a unique mobile social community inside an im app. You see, for example, Facebook has a huge profit with advertising on pc, but mobile is still a challenge for them. If BBM keep this pace, BBM channels has a big chance.

Actually, that's not true about Facebook. Their mobile add revenue was up 75% beating analysts targets and rose to around 40% of their overall revenue (from 30%)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using CB Forums mobile app
    10-29-13 11:42 AM

I dunno, surely the point of the beta is to try and see how it would function if it wasn't in beta.
    The fact that no one is updating their channels now,Not even the uber fan people, not a good sign IMO.
    Facebook can make money off ads on the website. No biggie.
    BBM can't put ads in the mobile app easily. No ads in whatsapp. Can't remember any in viber, or Skype.
    Why would people use an app spamming you with ads?
    I don't think monetising BBM will be easy, it's fine if it's free, a hard sell if it's paid.

Posted via CB10
    10-29-13 01:52 PM
    I dunno, surely the point of the beta is to try and see how it would function if it wasn't in beta.
    The fact that no one is updating their channels now,Not even the uber fan people, not a good sign IMO.
    Facebook can make money off ads on the website. No biggie.
    BBM can't put ads in the mobile app easily. No ads in whatsapp. Can't remember any in viber, or Skype.
    Why would people use an app spamming you with ads?
    I don't think monetising BBM will be easy, it's fine if it's free, a hard sell if it's paid.

Posted via CB10
    I don't see it as a spam. You follow and receive info of the channel you like. I have a few channels that I like and it doesn't bother me at all. You can leave the channel any time you want. And it's not just "ads". It's a social platform inside of very active app that from now on it will grow like hell.

10-29-13 02:32 PM
    Exactly what I said. Beta Channels users have no issues but not all messages sent from stock BBM get sent. A bug that needs to be ironed out by updating the BBM App on #BlackBerry10. The issues don't lie with the iOS or Android Apps but the BlackBerry10 app itself.

Posted via CB10
    The issue isn't with an app at all. The issue is with the service. I don't use BB10 and I don't know anyone that uses BB10. I haven't even seen a Z10 or Q10 outside of a carrier store.

The issue isn't the app, it's the service.

Messages get sent, they do not get dispatched from the servers to the recipients' devices. THAT is the issue.

What you're talking about is a completely different issue that that other poster is not referring to.

It has nothing to do with the Android/iOS app, as the issue persists even between two Android or iOS handsets (or Android and iOS). It's not the app at all, cause the App actually sends the message. The App cannot control when the service/servers dispatch the message to the person for which it is intended, however. That's a service issue.

Android to Android:

Reliability of BBM with iOS & Android Users Is Very Poor-8adumasu.jpg

How does the BB10 app have anything, at all, to do with this?

Please note the delivery pattern. The Check Mark means SENT (At Server). D means DELIVERED (on Device). R means READ (Message thread has been opened on the device after delivery). This BS about Apple devices is all wrong. The check means the server has the message and it has not been yet delivered to the device.

In what foreign planet does the service completely skip a message delivery and that's working as intended? If the user read the second message, it makes no sense that the first message wasn't at least DELIVERED to his device. Something is completely off about the drivel people are spewing in this thread. It makes literally no sense whatsoever.

That person replied 5 minutes after those messages were sent and only 2/5 of them were actually delivered to his device (despite the fact that he opened up the message thread and actually replied to me in the midst of all this), rendering the context of what he received absolutely NIL. You cannot have conversations with this kind of bugginess.
    Last edited by n8ter#AC; 10-29-13 at 03:31 PM.
    bobauckland likes this.
    10-29-13 03:11 PM
    I tested this from my Z10 to an iPhone today. If the BBM on the iPhone is not actively open, the user gets a toast notification and the check mark turns to "D". Once the iOS user taps on the actual BBM message it changes to "R". What o did find was that on his device running iOS7, if he swiped the BBM app away in his carousel, my next message to him stayed as a check mark and he didn't even get the iOS native toast notification; I am not sure if that is intended behavior or just happening oh his 4S device. It has been confirmed that iOS does not allow a messaging app to run in the background as BBM does on a BlackBerry device.

As for Android, here is an info at I've piece from Android Central: http://m.androidcentral.com/bbm-has-...t-want-turn-it.

Posted via my Z10
    10-29-13 03:31 PM
    No one disabled the notification. Most people I know still have 1GB devices on contract and I made it quite clear that that notification was not to be disabled. The issue was reproduceable with a device sitting on my lap as I sent messages to it, so that article has nothing to do with the issue.

BBM on Android will auto restart itself if shut down, anyways, so messages are at most delayed. Maybe a couple minutes... 1.5 - 9 hours delay? Almost impossible with the way that service functions.
    10-29-13 03:39 PM
    No one disabled the notification. Most people I know still have 1GB devices on contract and I made it quite clear that that notification was not to be disabled. The issue was reproduceable with a device sitting on my lap as I sent messages to it, so that article has nothing to do with the issue.

BBM on Android will auto restart itself if shut down, anyways, so messages are at most delayed. Maybe a couple minutes... 1.5 - 9 hours delay? Almost impossible with the way that service functions.
    Sadly, if you disable the notification, the app won't restart itself, not even 12 hours after (tested).
    It doesn't seem that the app actually use a service.
    10-29-13 03:49 PM
    Sadly, if you disable the notification, the app won't restart itself, not even 12 hours after (tested).
    It doesn't seem that the app actually use a service.
    It says one process and one service in the task manager. In any case doesn't matter. No one I know had that disabled and I never bothered to do it because sometimes I am running a ton of apps concurrently and couldn't risk not receiving important messages.

Sent from my Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 4
    10-29-13 03:50 PM
    It says one process and one service in the task manager. In any case doesn't matter. No one I know had that disabled and I never bothered to do it because sometimes I am running a ton of apps concurrently and couldn't risk not receiving important messages.
    Yes, but it's a shame that the app need a notification to stay open while all other IMs works perfectly without that.
    10-29-13 03:59 PM
    Yes, but it's a shame that the app need a notification to stay open while all other IMs works perfectly without that.
    Yep. With that notification, the wifi one on my phone, brightness slider, and the music player going you basically see none when you slide it down. It's a real issue, especially since you cannot log out of the app.

10-29-13 04:00 PM
    Yep. With that notification, the wifi one on my phone, brightness slider, and the music player going you basically see none when you slide it down. It's a real issue, especially since you cannot log out of the app.
    Actually, if you have a GS3 with 2Go of RAM, disableing the notification won't be a problem (at least on my GS4, the app is never killed).
    On a 1Go GS3, that must be a problem (my GS3 is 1Go and the app is killed by the system to free RAM if I open more than 4 big apps).
    10-29-13 04:09 PM
    Actually, if you have a GS3 with 2Go of RAM, disableing the notification won't be a problem (at least on my GS4, the app is never killed).
    On a 1Go GS3, that must be a problem (my GS3 is 1Go and the app is killed by the system to free RAM if I open more than 4 big apps).
    Not an issue for me. But for people I know.

10-29-13 04:10 PM
    It's working great so far.
    10-29-13 04:39 PM
    It's working great so far.
    Thanks for contributing. How do you feel that this adds to the discussion?
    bobauckland likes this.
    10-29-13 04:59 PM
    BBM has been working great with both iOS and Android contacts. Just had 3 more add it this morning. Feedback from one of the recent adopters on an Android device: "That was a much smoother download this time." Tested messages to both platforms including multiperson chat. All working flawlessly. FYI I am on the BBM channels beta.

Posted via CB10
    10-29-13 05:15 PM
    Anyone who doesn't like BBM can get stuffed. I don't care which platform he's on.
    10-29-13 07:34 PM
    Anyone who doesn't like BBM can get stuffed. I don't care which platform he's on.
    This thread isn't about whether or not anybody likes BBM. It's about its reliability. Which is not very high at the moment.

"If you can't soar with the eagles then don't fly with the flock!" (BBM#18)
    bobauckland and kevinnugent like this.
    10-29-13 08:11 PM
    Yeah, I actually *love" BBM, but am none too happy with it right now.

Posted via CB10
    10-29-13 08:20 PM
    But BBM over BB10 is still 100% reliable.
    By the strict definition BBM is a "reliable protocol". It provides the relevant notifications to the sender... Reliability (computer networking) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    10-29-13 08:32 PM
    A pig talking about stuffing at least you didn't mention "apple sauce"
    10-29-13 08:45 PM
    The issue isn't with an app at all. The issue is with the service. I don't use BB10 and I don't know anyone that uses BB10. I haven't even seen a Z10 or Q10 outside of a carrier store.

The issue isn't the app, it's the service.

Messages get sent, they do not get dispatched from the servers to the recipients' devices. THAT is the issue.

What you're talking about is a completely different issue that that other poster is not referring to.

It has nothing to do with the Android/iOS app, as the issue persists even between two Android or iOS handsets (or Android and iOS). It's not the app at all, cause the App actually sends the message. The App cannot control when the service/servers dispatch the message to the person for which it is intended, however. That's a service issue.

[images omitted]

Please note the delivery pattern. The Check Mark means SENT (At Server). D means DELIVERED (on Device). R means READ (Message thread has been opened on the device after delivery). This BS about Apple devices is all wrong. The check means the server has the message and it has not been yet delivered to the device.

In what foreign planet does the service completely skip a message delivery and that's working as intended? If the user read the second message, it makes no sense that the first message wasn't at least DELIVERED to his device. Something is completely off about the drivel people are spewing in this thread. It makes literally no sense whatsoever.

That person replied 5 minutes after those messages were sent and only 2/5 of them were actually delivered to his device (despite the fact that he opened up the message thread and actually replied to me in the midst of all this), rendering the context of what he received absolutely NIL. You cannot have conversations with this kind of bugginess.
    I'm not convinced you can say it is a service issue for sure. One of the problems is that users have no way to know why the message is delayed at each stage (device <=> server), whether it is a failure on the sending side, a rejection on the receiving side, failure to correctly acknowledge successful delivery, or networking issues somewhere between any two hops in the chain. All anyone knows is that the expected result is not seen in the time expected.
    10-29-13 08:53 PM
    I'm sure I can say it.

10-29-13 08:55 PM
560 ... 89101112 ...