Again, friends and family beta only for a major company like BlackBerry, incredibly bad idea please pass this upwards.

Posted via CB10
    Where did you hear that it was a friends and family only beta?

#GetWithBB10 Channel @ C000D7228
    11-04-13 06:09 PM
    Based on a limited test today with someone using an iPhone with iOS 6, it seems that BBM stopped sending "D's" and "R's" after the person's iPhone went into sleep mode.

Once they re-woke up the device and entered the lock password (the BBM app was already in the foreground), the D's and R's got sent back.

What happens with something like WhatsApp under the same circumstances?
    11-04-13 06:30 PM
    Based on a limited test today with someone using an iPhone with iOS 6, it seems that BBM stopped sending "D's" and "R's" after the person's iPhone went into sleep mode.

Once they re-woke up the device and entered the lock password (the BBM app was already in the foreground), the D's and R's got sent back.

What happens with something like WhatsApp under the same circumstances?
    The same thing, I think.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-13 09:28 PM
    The same thing, I think.

If that's true of most messaging apps with iOS 6, that certainly could explain many of the complaints here.

There may indeed be some architectural limitations with iOS 6 then. In theory the app could wake up on a timer ie every 5 minutes to check for messages to process, but even if that were possible it might not be so good from a battery life POV.
    11-04-13 11:11 PM
    If that's true of most messaging apps with iOS 6, that certainly could explain many of the complaints here.

There may indeed be some architectural limitations with iOS 6 then. In theory the app could wake up on a timer ie every 5 minutes to check for messages to process, but even if that were possible it might not be so good from a battery life POV.
    I tend to agree; what I also noticed when testing with an iOS7 user is that if he went into the carousel and swiped the BBM app away, no D's were received until he opened the app.

Posted via my Z10
    11-04-13 11:24 PM
    She. Yes.

http://www.linkedin.com/in/berryvic

Posted via CB10
    Awesome! Thanks!

BTW, I added yesterday a friend using a Galaxy S4. Wow, I was impressive. Extremely fast. D's and R's instantly. Same experience as chating with my gf z10. I think BlackBerry really improved the service in the last updates.

Posted via my awesome BlackBerry Z10
    11-05-13 04:40 AM
    Awesome! Thanks!

BTW, I added yesterday a friend using a Galaxy S4. Wow, I was impressive. Extremely fast. D's and R's instantly. Same experience as chating with my gf z10. I think BlackBerry really improved the service in the last updates.

Your positive experience does not mean BlackBerry has improved anything. The vast majority of problems reported here are with iOS. Your post rings of false hope.

Posted via CB10
    11-05-13 06:28 AM

If this is indeed the case, it should have been known to BlackBerry before the launch on iOS. If there is a fundamental problem with iOS that makes it impossible for BBM to work on it in the way we've all come to know and love (reliable, fast), how could BlackBerry not know, and why were expectations not managed?

Posted via CB10
    11-05-13 06:29 AM
    Your positive experience does not mean BlackBerry has improved anything. The vast majority of problems reported here are with iOS. Your post rings of false hope.

Posted via CB10
    I know. I reported it before. Delays with ios here too. Android is working fine. No false hope. Only positive thoughts.

11-05-13 06:57 AM
    I know. I reported it before. Delays with ios here too. Android is working fine. No false hope. Only positive thoughts.

Well I can't have positive thoughts when I can barely communicate with iOS users. Maybe you can ignore that, but I can't.

Posted via CB10
    11-05-13 07:20 AM
    Well I can't have positive thoughts when I can barely communicate with iOS users. Maybe you can ignore that, but I can't.

Posted via CB10
    lol... let's see if our BlackBerry friend can help us here.

11-05-13 08:18 AM
    If there is a fundamental problem with iOS that makes it impossible for BBM to work on it in the way we've all come to know and love (reliable, fast), how could BlackBerry not know, and why were expectations not managed?

In my opinion, there is no real need to manage expectations if no other communications app has that level of functionality on that platform.

That's like expecting a car dealer trying to sell a Toyota Yaris to someone to "manage expectations" that it doesn't accelerate like a Porsche 918.

Unless you think almost all the potential iOS BBM users are all longtime BBM users who for some silly reason assume the iPhone is going to work just like their BlackBerries did. ("Hey, where's my hardware keyboard..???")
    11-05-13 12:05 PM
    In my opinion, there is no real need to manage expectations if no other communications app has that level of functionality on that platform.

That's like expecting a car dealer trying to sell a Toyota Yaris to someone to "manage expectations" that it doesn't accelerate like a Porsche 918.

Unless you think almost all the potential iOS BBM users are all longtime BBM users who for some silly reason assume the iPhone is going to work just like their BlackBerries did. ("Hey, where's my hardware keyboard..???")
    But BBM is biled as being THE reliable messaging solution. That's its key advantage. That isn't what's happening.

Posted via CB10
    11-05-13 01:19 PM
    But BBM is biled as being THE reliable messaging solution. That's its key advantage. That isn't what's happening.

Actually there is plenty of evidence in this thread that a lot of people are seeing prompt delivery most of the time. It's hard to make accurate sweeping generalizations about the performance of something that close to 100 million people are using, from the posts of a couple dozen people here.

That said, I agree that BlackBerry in general has been horrible at managing expectations and communicating with users proactively. Thus when they do screw something up (like the 10.1 MR update debacle where lots of people lost tons of stored SMS messages), they drive people away from the platform that might have stayed if they knew about a workaround or way of recovering all the messages they just lost.
    11-05-13 02:01 PM
    Actually there is plenty of evidence in this thread that a lot of people are seeing prompt delivery most of the time. It's hard to make accurate sweeping generalizations about the performance of something that close to 100 million people are using, from the posts of a couple dozen people here.

That said, I agree that BlackBerry in general has been horrible at managing expectations and communicating with users proactively. Thus when they do screw something up (like the 10.1 MR update debacle where lots of people lost tons of stored SMS messages), they drive people away from the platform that might have stayed if they knew about a workaround or way of recovering all the messages they just lost.
    I think it's fair to say Android reliability is high. With iOS, this simply isn't the case, any "evidence" in this thread notwithstanding.

Posted via CB10
    11-05-13 04:11 PM
    I think it's fair to say Android reliability is high. With iOS, this simply isn't the case, any "evidence" in this thread notwithstanding.

Posted via CB10
    Nope, all the issues I've posted screenshots about are to android users.

Posted via CB10
    Rello likes this.
    11-05-13 05:45 PM

Posted via CB10
    Odd. Ok. Android is 100% reliable for me.

Posted via CB10
    11-05-13 08:03 PM
    So new issue. I sent a very long message through BBM and didn't go through at all. All my gf got was a blank message. Retried exactly 6 times and did not work. I copied the message and sent it in two parts and it worked. Tried resending the whole message after that, still no go. Anyone with a similar problem?
    11-05-13 10:20 PM

Posted via CB10
    Same here. Went a whole weekend before I got a reply from one of them. The other one still hasn't even shown as delivered and I sent messages to them on Friday of last week. Just totally defeats the reason of having bbm if people don't get notified at all that they have a message waiting. Kinda wish I would've waited before I started adding people

Posted via CB10
    11-05-13 11:22 PM
    I know it shouldn't work this way, but sometimes the message is delivered even without the D. Maybe the person got the message and you think the opposite. This is something BlackBerry must work on.

Some of us have seen this happen with the other device sitting on our laps.

No D, No Delivery.

I'm not buying this "sometimes the message is delivered without the D" B.S.
    11-06-13 10:17 AM

Posted via CB10
    All my issues have been Android->Android, so I personally beg to differ.

Then again, I haven't tried it since Victoria said they made some tweaks, and doubt I ever will.

I don't have time to constantly install/uninstall apps and run my friends in an endless circle of messaging app switch hoopla.

I have more important things to do these days.
    11-06-13 11:22 AM
    Just totally defeats the reason of having bbm if people don't get notified at all that they have a message waiting.
    So is the issue that they just aren't seeing a system notification, or are they actually opening the BBM app while they have good internet connectivity, giving it time to sync, and not seeing any evidence of your sent message?

All my issues have been Android->Android, so I personally beg to differ.

Which is precisely why jumping to sweeping conclusions here based on a few anecdotal accounts is not wise. People's experiences will vary, and it makes matters even worse when they encounter someone with a different experience than their own and then ridicule them for "not adding to the discussion", as if that data is immaterial. Of course it is not. We need MORE data, not less.

Then again, I haven't tried it since Victoria said they made some tweaks, and doubt I ever will.

Then your historical experiences at this point have little applicability to people's current BBM reality.

I don't have time to constantly install/uninstall apps and run my friends in an endless circle of messaging app switch hoopla.

I don't blame you, but by the same token as we have seen here, the service seems to be neither 100% reliable nor 100% unreliable. Whether it is significantly worse than the major competition remains to be seen, especially if, as according to a couple of people here, WhatsApp has the same issue on iOS6 when the device goes into sleep mode.
    Danny Ocean likes this.
    11-06-13 12:03 PM

Then your historical experiences at this point have little applicability to people's current BBM reality.

Which is precisely why I have barely bothered to check this thread since then.

Sent from my Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 4
    11-06-13 12:04 PM
    So is the issue that they just aren't seeing a system notification, or are they actually opening the BBM app while they have good internet connectivity, giving it time to sync, and not seeing any evidence of your sent message?

Which is precisely why jumping to sweeping conclusions here based on a few anecdotal accounts is not wise. People's experiences will vary, and it makes matters even worse when they encounter someone with a different experience than their own and then ridicule them for "not adding to the discussion", as if that data is immaterial. Of course it is not. We need MORE data, not less.

I don't blame you, but by the same token as we have seen here, the service seems to be neither 100% reliable nor 100% unreliable. Whether it is significantly worse than the major competition remains to be seen, especially if, as according to a couple of people here, WhatsApp has the same issue on iOS6 when the device goes into sleep mode.
    I personally can't believe this, is it really true that whatsapp notifications on iOS don't push when the device is sleeping? If its true, that's pretty awful, but I find it very very hard to believe.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-13 12:38 PM
    In my testing I found that if the app was not running on iOS and Android devices the messages is delivered but because the app is not running then the delivery indicator "D" is not sent until the app is opened and running. I cannot speculate as to why this is the case but I would love for it to to be fixed. Most people will leave the app running but for the ones that don't is where this becomes a problem. In the end the way I see it this is just one of the reasons why a Blackberry is better for doing communications then other platforms. None the less this needs to be fixed because to each their own and I would not want everyone to be using the same device. I like choices and competition.
    Rello and Thesmartmale like this.
    11-06-13 01:14 PM
560 ... 1718192021 ...