S3 working flawlessly here, chatting with my buddy with my iP5 instant delivery! This must be device specific...
    Someone always have to *****...i wonder if you really do use BBM? BBM remains reliable for me and is far more sophisticated an application that WhatsApp. I live in Australia using Z10 and my brother in NJ with SIII BBM and I have no issues with him...real-time chat. You in America having issues - considering that every scenario is different.

Pull your head in mate...
    Stop trolling users. This is a real issue. We stopped using it cause it was happening too damn much, and I use an S3 so no it isn't device specific...

Sent from my Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 4
    Last edited by n8ter#AC; 10-25-13 at 09:33 AM.
    10-25-13 09:07 AM
    I have Trillian running on my desktop with Google Talk connected. If I watch one of my overseas Android contacts, I'll see it log out for an instant and then back in a second later like it drops from the network and comes back on. If I log in to Google Talk with an alternate account of my own from my BlackBerry and watch it on the Trillian client, it never does this the way my overseas contact does many times a day. I've always attributed it to that contact's spotty connection, and often wondered if it has an effect on message reliability. Maybe what's happening with all these devices is something similar?
    The issue isn't the connection. When the app connects to GPRS an IM app like BBM or Google Talk should not have issues delivering text messages. Those compressed pictures that send by default over BBM are worse quality than what you get over MMS, by a large margin, on high end phones these days, so those should be able to go over GPRS or at worse 2G/EDGE without issue as well... MMS works just fine over 2G/EDGE.

The problem with BBM on Android (I don't have an iOS device to test that at the moment) is that the messages either take ridiculous amounts of time to deliver (1.5-9 hours at times), or they aren't delivered at all. If an INSTANT message isn't delivered within a few minutes, it's basically worthless because at that time I will switch apps to force the message through in other means. It completely defeats the purpose of even using that IM application... Email is, on average, an order of a magnitude faster than using BBM on Android, especially if you're going from GMail to GMail... But even Gmail to Outlook.com is significantly faster on average and much more reliable...

On any other messenger, the message is delivered the minute the phone reconnects to a data network. Skype, ChatOn, Hangouts, and others work like this. SMS/MMS does this if you lose your cellular connection. Messengers have to work properly with these conditions because sometimes people have to put their phones in Airplane mode, which drops all data and cellular connections when initiated. If you go out of range of WiFi the phone drops data while it reconnects to the cellular data network, but that does not stop messages from delivering. They simply deliver immediately the minute the data network connected on the device and the app reconnects to its network/service.

Our issues with BBM were completely different.

Even when you had a full WiFi connection, or a great cell connection out and about, it does not work reliably.

This isn't the normal "oh my message just took a little bit to get to you," either... And it was a recurring issue that really made the app nigh unusable for us. We had to switch back full time to other solutions because of that. It was happening multiple times per hour, where sometimes a string of 5+ messages would get lost in limbo... This was an issue both ways, so it wasn't just my phone experiencing the issue.

When every other Chat App works properly, and it's just BBM falling over itself, I think you can safely rule out the connection or the phone... It has something to do With Blackberry's network. The message gets sent, but the network is not reliably dispatching those messages to the other users' phones in a timely manner - if at all. I'm not sure if my latest string of undelivered messages made it to their destinations, because I deleted my BB ID and uninstalled the app instead. There is no point keeping it installed if it will routinely force me to use the apps that I was thinking about replacing just to communicate with people...
    kevinnugent and outoftheice like this.
    10-25-13 09:33 AM
    We'll see when imessages get cross platform. Will it work on android? Would there be any takers?

Jakarta, Indonesia
    10-25-13 09:34 AM
    One is Gmail for my corporate email (we pay), and the other is Yahoo Plus (or whatever they call it - I pay). Both have push support. Unless I'm wrong and BB doesn't support Push on Yahoo and Gmail, which I guess wouldn't be a surprise, considering BlackBerry's dismal failure in making BB10 a functioning work device.

But I think they're Push. It's just poorly executed.
    Google Apps can be set up with EAS. That is still there for Google Apps for Business accounts.

Yahoo! Plus I think uses IMAP. I'm not sure if they have IDLE, but in any case:

IMAP IDLE does not hold a candle to EAS for pushing email, nor does CardDAV and CalDAV hold a candle to it for pushing Contacts and Calendar data.

I have a hard time calling any IMAP PUSH. Google uses their own proprietary protocol, and so does app, in lieu of IMAP because it's so bad at pushing email.
    10-25-13 09:46 AM
    Love how negativity seems to attract the most attention, it's works fine for me and calling delays a reliability issue is irresponsible and misleading… a better word might be dependability – but then again, there are other factors at play here too!
    de�pend�a�ble [dih-pen-duh-buhl] Show IPA
    adjective

capable of being depended on; worthy of trust; reliable: a dependable employee.
    re�li�a�ble [ri-lahy-uh-buhl] Show IPA
    adjective

that may be relied on; dependable in achievement, accuracy, honesty, etc.: reliable information.
    World English Dictionary

reliable (rɪˈlaɪəb ə l)
    adj

able to be trusted; predictable or dependable
    Please kindly exit thread if you don't like the word choice, which is spot on.
    bobauckland and kevinnugent like this.
    10-25-13 09:50 AM
    I have seen no delay between my BB10 device and my wife's Iphone 4. Works great
    10-25-13 09:54 AM
    We'll see when imessages get cross platform. Will it work on android? Would there be any takers?

Jakarta, Indonesia
    We don't need iMessage. There are other options.

Facebook Messenger, Skype, WhatsApp, ChatOn, Kik, Viber

Should I continue...

Trying to turn this into yet another Apple vs. Blackberry thread isn't going to work. Just stop. This isn't about iMessage, which is a completely different service in both purpose and implementation than BBM. iOS users don't need to care about iMessage, because it works in the background. They don't even need to know about it, as long as the helpful rep enables it for them...
    kevinnugent likes this.
    10-25-13 09:55 AM
    I don't see why people come complaining on free apps. Bbm is good, inherently good on BlackBerry..thats a known fact. Probably not on ios or Android until all bugs ironed out.

Jakarta, Indonesia
    10-25-13 10:14 AM
    And the issues come back again

Posted via CB10
    10-25-13 10:40 AM
    The issue isn't the connection. When the app connects to GPRS an IM app like BBM or Google Talk should not have issues delivering text messages. Those compressed pictures that send by default over BBM are worse quality than what you get over MMS, by a large margin, on high end phones these days, so those should be able to go over GPRS or at worse 2G/EDGE without issue as well... MMS works just fine over 2G/EDGE.

The problem with BBM on Android (I don't have an iOS device to test that at the moment) is that the messages either take ridiculous amounts of time to deliver (1.5-9 hours at times), or they aren't delivered at all. If an INSTANT message isn't delivered within a few minutes, it's basically worthless because at that time I will switch apps to force the message through in other means. It completely defeats the purpose of even using that IM application... Email is, on average, an order of a magnitude faster than using BBM on Android, especially if you're going from GMail to GMail... But even Gmail to Outlook.com is significantly faster on average and much more reliable...

On any other messenger, the message is delivered the minute the phone reconnects to a data network. Skype, ChatOn, Hangouts, and others work like this. SMS/MMS does this if you lose your cellular connection. Messengers have to work properly with these conditions because sometimes people have to put their phones in Airplane mode, which drops all data and cellular connections when initiated. If you go out of range of WiFi the phone drops data while it reconnects to the cellular data network, but that does not stop messages from delivering. They simply deliver immediately the minute the data network connected on the device and the app reconnects to its network/service.

Our issues with BBM were completely different.

Even when you had a full WiFi connection, or a great cell connection out and about, it does not work reliably.

This isn't the normal "oh my message just took a little bit to get to you," either... And it was a recurring issue that really made the app nigh unusable for us. We had to switch back full time to other solutions because of that. It was happening multiple times per hour, where sometimes a string of 5+ messages would get lost in limbo... This was an issue both ways, so it wasn't just my phone experiencing the issue.

When every other Chat App works properly, and it's just BBM falling over itself, I think you can safely rule out the connection or the phone... It has something to do With Blackberry's network. The message gets sent, but the network is not reliably dispatching those messages to the other users' phones in a timely manner - if at all. I'm not sure if my latest string of undelivered messages made it to their destinations, because I deleted my BB ID and uninstalled the app instead. There is no point keeping it installed if it will routinely force me to use the apps that I was thinking about replacing just to communicate with people...
    Hmmm...really?...you spent all that time just to tell us you deleted BBM & your BBid? And you find every other I'M app better?... sorry but I'm calling b*ll****.
    stevesavalas likes this.
    10-25-13 10:40 AM
    Hmmm...really?...you spent all that time just to tell us you deleted BBM & your BBid? And you find every other I'M app better?... sorry but I'm calling b*ll****.

And yes. I do find ChatOn to be much better than BBM on Android.

My reply addressed posts saying the issue must be the connection. That's misleading information.

I deleted BBM and the BBID yesterday, all of the people I got to install it did. We don't keep apps we don't use, and I told them to keep the confirmation email to delete the account just in case it didn't work out.

I've never been known to lie about these things, or anything on this forum, songo ahead. Call BS and make yourself look like you just crawled from under a bridge debating with personal attacks but no real information on the subject matter in the thread.

10-25-13 10:42 AM
    Wrong forum. Better go to XDA..lots of chaton talks over there.

Jakarta, Indonesia
    10-25-13 11:03 AM
    Sounds like a case of people expecting perfection right out the door. In my experience, it's never that way. There is always something wrong whether the problems are small or huge. I see this most often with programs that connect people. Online games of the AAA caliber often have glaring bugs that cause connection issues that prevent people from playing online or give them a bad online experience. People don't simply return the game because those issues arise when the game is brand-spanking new. They keep it and wait for the bugs to get worked out. And that is for something that is paid for. BBM for Android and iOS is free for crying out loud! It's free, brand new, and an online program that connects millions of people. Issues are going to happen in the first week or two! In fact, just yesterday the Android version got patched. So something is happening. People need to stop expecting absolute perfection where it is certainly not warranted.
    FairlightRacing likes this.
    10-25-13 11:04 AM
    Seem a highly rated App on Android. Don't go by a few stories.
    10-25-13 11:08 AM
    Wrong forum. Better go to XDA..lots of chaton talks over there.

Jakarta, Indonesia
    Or Indonesia? ✈ ✈ ✈

P.S. What does XDA have to do with a chat app? If the other is better, deal with it. I'm not asking you to use it... I m certainly not going to be a contact on it for you :-)

10-25-13 11:15 AM
    Seem a highly rated App on Android. Don't go by a few stories.
    WhatsApp is 4.5 Stars with 75% of them being 5★. Maybe should ignore the threads ragging it here?

Bbm only has 202k ratings. 66% being 5★, and I'm counting the obvious fake ratings.

kevinnugent likes this.
    10-25-13 11:17 AM
    It doesn't really seem like the BBM network was designed for massive numbers of simultaneous account onboardings like its now experiencing. This 'lineup' is basically BB's hack to try to throttle the giant DDNS attack they signed themselves up for.

Its typically not accurate to assume that system behaviour under an abnormally high load is representative of what it will be under normal conditions. Give it until a few days after they shutdown the lineup before you make any judgements.
    Last edited by wafguy; 10-25-13 at 11:23 AM. Reason: grammar
    FairlightRacing likes this.
    10-25-13 11:19 AM
    I can't send to iPhone or Android now. Sent checkmark, that's it. Never delivered. Worked fir a whole day.

BlackBerry since 2006. Z10 Rogers 10.2. Halifax, NS.
    10-25-13 11:45 AM
    Google Apps can be set up with EAS. That is still there for Google Apps for Business accounts.

Yahoo! Plus I think uses IMAP. I'm not sure if they have IDLE, but in any case:

IMAP IDLE does not hold a candle to EAS for pushing email, nor does CardDAV and CalDAV hold a candle to it for pushing Contacts and Calendar data.

I have a hard time calling any IMAP PUSH. Google uses their own proprietary protocol, and so does app, in lieu of IMAP because it's so bad at pushing email.
    How do I set up my Gmail as EAS? PM me if this is too off topic.
    10-25-13 12:08 PM
    Both iPhone and Android apps received updates. Are these issues still appearing when using the updated versions?

Posted via my Z10
    10-25-13 12:29 PM
    How do I set up my Gmail as EAS? PM me if this is too off topic.
    Need to ask admin for the server address and stuff.

10-25-13 12:47 PM
    I'm seeing long delays, hours. Thus is both on Android and iOS platforms. Hopefully this is resolved soon

Posted via CB10
    10-25-13 01:44 PM
    I shifted from stock BBM to BBM Channels and the my initial impressions for cross platform are impressive. All my chats have been delivered until now ever since.
    There was a problem during the first launch where BBM channels had the reliability issue with cross platform and now I believe they updated during the second launch and it has gone the other way. Some issue with the infra, I believe. If this is the case, the issues wont be ironed out until the BBM Channels is out of beta and is made available to all BB10 users.
    Last edited by ukmight; 10-25-13 at 11:36 PM.
    10-25-13 11:16 PM
    I'm seeing long delays, hours. Thus is both on Android and iOS platforms. Hopefully this is resolved soon

Posted via CB10
    Are you using stock BBM or BBM Channels. Try updating to Channels and report back. I dropped Channels during the previous launch as it was incompatible with the cross platform launched then. The irony is that during this launch, Channels is giving a much better reliability and performance with cross platform users.

Posted via CB10
    10-26-13 06:21 AM
    Stop trolling users. This is a real issue. We stopped using it cause it was happening too damn much, and I use an S3 so no it isn't device specific...

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/25/u8a3eze3.jpg

Were you chatting with a BlackBerry user. If so, what version of BBM was he using.

Posted via CB10
    10-26-13 06:23 AM
560 ... 23456 ...