The one thing that I've always loved the most about BBM was its rock solid reliability. If I sent a message, it was delivered. Within seconds. 100% of the time. If the person was around the corner or around the world. I send, and BAM, it's delivered. Never a glitch.

In fact, the once thing I hate most about Whatsapp is its unreliability. I always get the single check, but the second check comes immediately, or hours later, or two days later, or never. It's just not reliable like BBM.

So this reliability was what I was looking forward to on xBBM. To finally have that back with my contacts. Reliability. The most important thing.

Well, sad to say, it is not there. Reliability of delivery with iOS users and Android users is poor. I'd say about on par with WhatsApp.

Yesterday, in the middle of a lively back and forth with an Android thread, the conversation just ceased for 5 hours. Nothing I sent was delivered. No, he didn't get on a plane. Reliability to just stopped. Then at 7pm, they were all delivered en masse.

Today, same with an iOS user. Lively conversation just stops as my BBM's just stopped getting delivered for 45 minutes. Then they were all delivered.

This is p*ss poor. This is not what BBM is about. BBM is (was?) about reliability.

I am hoping that this is temporary and related to this being new, but if there are, at MOST, 10 million new iOS/Android users, and it can't be reliable, how will it ever be reliable with 100 million?

Sad to see...
    10-23-13 03:26 PM
    It has to be due to their inferior devices, probably constantly dropping off the network. That's why a BlackBerry device is by far the best, but for now I'm just happy my android and ios contacts are on board.
    10-23-13 03:32 PM
    They will work the kinks out

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    Mel25 likes this.
    10-23-13 03:32 PM
    It has to be due to their inferior devices, probably constantly dropping off the network. That's why a BlackBerry device is by far the best, but for now I'm just happy my android and ios contacts are on board.
    Well, I thought about that in a way, but the Android contact that I lost touch with for five hours said he was BBM'ing with someone else during that time, so he wasn't "off the network" or even "off BlackBerry's network" during that time, so...I dunno.
    10-23-13 03:36 PM
    They will work the kinks out

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    I am 50% confident in this.
    10-23-13 03:36 PM
    Perhaps this degree of reliability is not possible with any client cross platform? Email is certainly not 100%. Even texting is not. If not, then there really is zero point to BBM anymore...
    10-23-13 03:39 PM
    Well, I thought about that in a way, but the Android contact that I lost touch with for five hours said he was BBM'ing with someone else during that time, so he wasn't "off the network" or even "off BlackBerry's network" during that time, so...I dunno.
    I wonder if there's generally less reliability when it comes to BB10 and other platforms' devices which are connected to the noc but aren't running through the classic BIS tunnel?
    10-23-13 03:40 PM
    Perhaps this degree of reliability is not possible with any client cross platform? Email is certainly not 100%. Even texting is not. If not, then there really is zero point to BBM anymore...
    I'm thinking it's not possible except over true BIS. I imagine other platforms experience this with messaging even if we leave BlackBerry out of it. My other instant messengers (Google Talk, YIM, and WLM) were never as reliable as BBM over BIS.
    10-23-13 03:42 PM
    Perhaps if communications are so important.....

...I'll leave that to you to figure out the rest.

#GetWithBB10 Channel @ C000D7228
    10-23-13 03:45 PM
    I'm thinking it's not possible except over true BIS. I imagine other platforms experience this with messaging even if we leave BlackBerry out of it. My other instant messengers (Google Talk, YIM, and WLM) were never as reliable as BBM over BIS.
    But BBM over BB10 is still 100% reliable.
    CDM76 likes this.
    10-23-13 03:45 PM
    But BBM over BB10 is still 100% reliable.
    Are you sure? Do you mean BlackBerry to BlackBerry? It's never flukey like reports of email on BB10?
    10-23-13 03:48 PM
    Are you sure? Do you mean BlackBerry to BlackBerry? It's never flukey like reports of email on BB10?
    I mean BB10 to BB10 and BB10 to BBOS. 100% reliable.
    felixweber likes this.
    10-23-13 03:49 PM
    I mean BB10 to BB10 and BB10 to BBOS. 100% reliable.
    Okay so you definitely think the problem is connected to the introduction of other platforms' devices. That's probably good, because it's probably "tweakable" and will improve over time. Then again, if BlackBerry devices have hardware that results in a superior connection to the noc ...
    10-23-13 03:52 PM
    This is a nagging issue when sending messages to two friends on my list in particular. One uses a iPhone 4s and the other HTC One. SOme of the messages never get delivered.

The one thing that I've always loved the most about BBM was its rock solid reliability. If I sent a message, it was delivered. Within seconds. 100% of the time. If the person was around the corner or around the world. I send, and BAM, it's delivered. Never a glitch.

In fact, the once thing I hate most about Whatsapp is its unreliability. I always get the single check, but the second check comes immediately, or hours later, or two days later, or never. It's just not reliable like BBM.

So this reliability was what I was looking forward to on xBBM. To finally have that back with my contacts. Reliability. The most important thing.

Well, sad to say, it is not there. Reliability of delivery with iOS users and Android users is poor. I'd say about on par with WhatsApp.

Yesterday, in the middle of a lively back and forth with an Android thread, the conversation just ceased for 5 hours. Nothing I sent was delivered. No, he didn't get on a plane. Reliability to just stopped. Then at 7pm, they were all delivered en masse.

Today, same with an iOS user. Lively conversation just stops as my BBM's just stopped getting delivered for 45 minutes. Then they were all delivered.

This is p*ss poor. This is not what BBM is about. BBM is (was?) about reliability.

I am hoping that this is temporary and related to this being new, but if there are, at MOST, 10 million new iOS/Android users, and it can't be reliable, how will it ever be reliable with 100 million?

Sad to see...
    steakman911 likes this.
    10-23-13 04:01 PM
    Is it possible that due to the new infrastructure used to accomadate the non BB users and the influx of millions of users coming online in a short period of time, we are seeing these delays because things are still beeing settled technically? Maybe countless servers are being brought online? I can imagine that there must be a lot of replication / mirroring / indexing / routing / space allocation / etc... going at this time. Things should start to settle down soon enough. Didn't the market say no one would download BBM? Who would've guessed the numbers we are seeing at the moment??

Sent from my HTC One using CB Forums mobile app
    ukmight, neoberry99, bbhuh and 2 others like this.
    10-23-13 04:12 PM
    For the Android side is it possible your friend disabled the "always-on" notification icon? I've read that if you do that the BBM app can get closed if the phone gets low on memory. It will eventually reopen when the resources are available but until then the phone can't receive any messages. Leaving the notification icon up locks the app into memory so this can't happen, if I'm understanding things correctly anyway. Dunno if there are any similar bugaboos on the iOS side.
    10-23-13 04:24 PM
    Not sure what reports of email reliability there are... but my bb10 device has 6 email accounts on it and they are all instant.. no flakiness to or from...

#GetWithBB10 Channel @ C000D7228
    bradu1 and felixweber like this.
    10-23-13 04:27 PM
    I'm finding BB10 to Android to be quite unreliable, worse than WhatsApp.
    Having said that I've found BBM on BB10 to be much more unreliable than on legacy.
    Let's hope for improvements.
    anon(4044683) likes this.
    10-23-13 04:37 PM
    As I use it more, I'm definitely seeing messages with huge delays or getting dropped all together. They do need to improve that.
    anon(4044683) likes this.
    10-23-13 04:51 PM
    Yes im seeing lots of delays as well. Messages always deliver but some within minutes. I think the initial server traffic has to do with it. Hopefully they are working on this...
    10-23-13 05:16 PM
    I think the real test is going to be how quickly they release updates moving forward. I agree that the reliability doesn't seem to be on par with the bulletproof BBM we are used to in the Native BlackBerry functionality. This isn't completely surprising to me with Android, as my experience has been that many Android apps just seem more buggy and to generally just not work as well for whatever reason. That being said, I haven't had any major issues with my iOS contacts on BBM. Hopefully they release regular updates to increase functionality and stability.

Posted via CB10
    10-23-13 05:18 PM
    My husband and one of my close friends both have android phones (one a GS3, one a GS4) and I haven't had any delays so far. I've also BBM'd with a friend who has an old bold, and a friend with an old curve, and there have been no issues. I haven't texted extensively with too many people outside of that, but I'm hoping my experiences won't change.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk
    10-23-13 05:32 PM
    I don't know...hmmm. I'm having really no problems at all (except some wee glitches when adding contacts) ... I have been always an Uber heavy BBM user, & the past 24+ hrs have been pretty busy adding & chatting with 40+ android & apple friends coming into the BBM fold again. These are peeps from.all over the world...most continents. Jointly, we are all pretty dang impressed!! Maybe your probs are just you?...you do seem to complain a lot.
    bronco26 and rocmon like this.
    10-23-13 05:41 PM
    I am 50% confident in this.
    How did you come up with 50%?
    10-23-13 05:46 PM
    I too can second that I have 100% reliability when it comes to BBM on BB10, nor have I ever had any issues with 'flukey' emails. I always get it when I'm supposed to. Only one time it didn't happen was when my mail server was down for 30 minutes for maintenance, which isn't a BlackBerry issue.

If folks are having issues, I'd suggest giving it a little time as they are clearly seeing great demand on the network. Most likely the demand is greater than they expected.
    10-23-13 05:48 PM
560 123 ...