Has this issue been resolved in the lasted version of BBM or is this a API issue on Apples end since what's app has similar issues.

Posted via CB10
    02-14-14 09:48 AM
    Has this issue been resolved in the lasted version of BBM or is this a API issue on Apples end since what's app has similar issues.

Posted via CB10
    It's an IOS limitation. That's if you're talking about the tick and no D.

Posted via CB10
    02-14-14 10:07 AM

Posted via CB10
    The same here. Very disappointed. I stopped using the app because of this. At least iMessage works property with read and delivered signs.
    02-15-14 07:26 AM
    The same here. Very disappointed. I stopped using the app because of this. At least iMessage works property with read and delivered signs.
    Yeah well iMessages is made by Apple so of course it has more permission than any other app, the issue with BBM on IOS is an IOS limitation.

Posted via CB10
    WWBlondieDo likes this.
    02-15-14 10:49 AM
    Yeah well iMessages is made by Apple so of course it has more permission than any other app, the issue with BBM on IOS is an IOS limitation.

Posted via CB10
    Well if imessage can do it and its a question of permissions then its not an ios limitation rather its an apple "imposed" limitation on BBM.

The other thing to note is that iOS BBM cannot receive bbm voice calls while the app is closed.

We chat for example has found a way around this. I am able to voice or video call an iOS device even when the we chat app on that device is closed.

This frustrates me because this means iOS IS capable of handling the R & D notifications and receive voice calls even with app closed but BBM for reasons unclear is NOT.

I also find it quite frustrating that they havent added group mute and landscape typing yet.

I wish there was a way to email BBM developers directly.

Posted via CB10
    02-15-14 03:10 PM
    BBM developers do what they can
    If Apple is wanting iMessages to be a monopoly on the iOS platform, no one can stop them. However, it will come back and bite in the behind. There's a very good reason why BB took BBM cross platform.
    If Apple's stocks are any indication, they only have a year or so to live before everything starts crumbling
    I, for one, will be dancing on their graves. I guess graves of Apple = compost
    02-15-14 03:19 PM
    If Apple is wanting iMessages to be a monopoly on the iOS platform, no one can stop them. However, it will come back and bite in the behind. There's a very good reason why BB took BBM cross platform.
    If Apple's stocks are any indication, they only have a year or so to live before everything starts crumbling
    Although I would join in that dance, I can't see that happening in a year. If the iPhone 6 comes with a larger screen, I expect record sales for them again as the majority of current users will want the new phone....as has been the case for a few years.

Posted via CB10
    02-15-14 03:26 PM
    Im actually more worried about hangouts, skype, wechat and line.

Skype, we chat and line all have video and voice calls, stickers, emojis, video sharing in groups and are all multi platform.

Hangouts because of their sms integration and its google.

Posted via CB10
    02-15-14 03:33 PM
    Well if imessage can do it and its a question of permissions then its not an ios limitation rather its an apple "imposed" limitation on BBM.

The other thing to note is that iOS BBM cannot receive bbm voice calls while the app is closed.

We chat for example has found a way around this. I am able to voice or video call an iOS device even when the we chat app on that device is closed.

This frustrates me because this means iOS IS capable of handling the R & D notifications and receive voice calls even with app closed but BBM for reasons unclear is NOT.

I also find it quite frustrating that they havent added group mute and landscape typing yet.

Posted via CB10
    Google Hangouts is also able to receive voice/video calls when the app isn't open. So like you say, this is definitely possible to do on ios.

I also don't see why the app doesn't take advantage of ios7 background app refresh API for the D's and R's. Although every time I message my brother on ios I get the D straight away. Maybe the users in question have the background app refresh option turned off in the phone's settings?
    Last edited by NathDogg; 02-16-14 at 10:05 AM.
    02-15-14 03:33 PM
    Google Hangouts is also able to receive voice/video calls when the app isn't open. So like you say, this is defiantly possible to do on ios.

I also don't see why the app doesn't take advantage of ios7 background app refresh API for the D's and R's. Although every time I message my brother on ios I get the D straight away. Maybe the users in question have the background app refresh option turned off in the phone's settings?
    I currently use the Q10 as my main phone and iP5 as secondary so I experiment using BBM between them alot.

When BBM went cross platform recently me and another friend forced my core group of friends to switch to BBM. There are almost 30 of us and more than half use iOS, about 8 on BlackBerry exclusively and 2 on android. Almost everyone had a BlackBerry device before so the transition was smooth but then came the BBM ios problems.

I have all permissions set for bbm to allow on my iphone. Still no cigar.

I dont really care about video calls, bbm for ios and android need parity with bbm for BlackBerry as far as performance and features are concerned very soon!

Q10SQN100-3/10.2.1.2141, Z30, Z10, iP5, SGS3
    02-15-14 03:52 PM

Posted via CB10
    Why don't you go see whatsapp? Same issue as BBM, just like someone said here, if Apple wants to make iMessages work better than BBM in IOS then they will.

Posted via CB10
    02-16-14 01:47 AM
    Why don't you go see whatsapp? Same issue as BBM, just like someone said here, if Apple wants to make iMessages work better than BBM in IOS then they will.

Posted via CB10
    Google hangouts manages to get it right though. So it can be done.

This is what should happen. Note that the hangouts app is not running whatsoever. I get a notification and the phone also makes a ringing sound until I answer it.

02-16-14 03:54 AM
    Google hangouts manages to get it right though. So it can be done.

This is what should happen. Note that the hangouts app is not running whatsoever. I get a notification and the phone also makes a ringing sound until I answer it.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/16/4e3y8u2y.jpg
    Well BBM does the same but it has to be in the background, I'm not sure why but it could be some kind of an exception for google, you never know.

Posted via CB10
    02-16-14 05:57 AM
    Well BBM does the same but it has to be in the background, I'm not sure why but it could be some kind of an exception for google, you never know.

Posted via CB10
    The problem with it being in the background is that after 15 minutes of no use, ios will "suspend" the app and therefore kill the voice notifications again.

Obviously this would be a non issue if the notifications worked if the app is closed.

I don't think it's just google hangouts that works like this. I'm pretty certain Viber works the same also?
    02-16-14 07:28 AM
    What ever it is BBM background operations are not up to scratch compared to hangouts and wechat.

NathDogg likes this.
    02-16-14 07:47 AM
    The problem with it being in the background is that after 15 minutes of no use, ios will "suspend" the app and therefore kill the voice notifications again.

Obviously this would be a non issue if the notifications worked if the app is closed.

I don't think it's just google hangouts that works like this. I'm pretty certain Viber works the same also?
    On almost all the iPhones I have seen, I notice that it suspends BBM but after 4 hours or more which is a lot of time and you will probably open the app in these 4 hours so the inactivity time resets again

Posted via CB10
    02-16-14 01:35 PM

Posted via CB10
    Skype now shows when messages are read.

Voice and video work in the background.

Same for hangouts.

Same for other apps. Not sure why people are blaming iOS when other major developers seem to have no issues developing an app that works properly.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    avmsam and dudu2003br like this.
    02-16-14 11:38 PM
    Skype now shows when messages are read.

Voice and video work in the background.

Same for hangouts.

Same for other apps. Not sure why people are blaming iOS when other major developers seem to have no issues developing an app that works properly.

Hate to agree with you but its true.

Its not too late for BBM though, just launch the update within the month.

This problem only affects iOS users anyway, on android BBM is the only chat app with a fully functioning widget!

02-16-14 11:41 PM
    Hate to agree with you but its true.

Its not too late for BBM though, just launch the update within the month.

This problem only affects iOS users anyway, on android BBM is the only chat app with a fully functioning widget!

A widget for a messaging app is of very little worth. What matters is the reliability of messaging and push notification consistency.

When I tried it on Android it was quite bad for reliability. I went iOS just so I can use iMessage and stop looking for alternative messaging apps I also hate that they've basically turned it into a twitter clone.

I do keep Skype installed in case I need to call a phone and have wifi but no cell signal, though, and just use Facebook messenger or SMS for those without iPhones.

02-16-14 11:47 PM