I've never been a fan of the "R" read receipt.

Now I can understand its usefulness in an enterprise setting. You need to know that mission critical information has been reliably passed in an enterprise environment.

However, on the consumer side, it can become quite annoying. If I'm neck deep in work, or in a meeting where I may have glanced at an incoming message, it's really annoying when I get bombarded with requests to respond when I'm otherwise engaged because the sender knows that I read the message but haven't responded.

I'd love it if there were an option to turn off read receipts to less important contacts, while at the same time some contacts could be hard coded to ensure read receipts. (ie.. your IT department guarantees they get receipts).

Maybe, everybody on the same BES gets guaranteed receipts, but those outside of the BES is optional.

SwiftKeyed/Flowed via Tapatalk 4 Beta
    01-14-14 04:03 PM
    Hmm...i get what you're saying, but for me BBM is a big step up from Whatsapp, where the 'Last Seen' timestamp was bugging me out.

The only way you can see what someone wrote without having them see that you've read it, is by using the 'Quick Reply' option, or the homescreen notifications.
    Atmarix likes this.
    01-14-14 04:53 PM
    The fact is you read the message maybe the people spamming you should grow up. Obviously they know you got the message so wait for a reply.

Posted from Z10@10.2.1.1259#ATT via CB10
    Atmarix and Thesmartmale like this.
    01-14-14 07:49 PM
    Hmm...i get what you're saying, but for me BBM is a big step up from Whatsapp, where the 'Last Seen' timestamp was bugging me out.

The only way you can see what someone wrote without having them see that you've read it, is by using the 'Quick Reply' option, or the homescreen notifications.
    I agree with that, the "last seen" thing always bugged be because I'm the type of person who like to keep whatever I do private.

Posted via CB10
    01-14-14 07:55 PM
    I've never been a fan of the "R" read receipt.

Now I can understand its usefulness in an enterprise setting. You need to know that mission critical information has been reliably passed in an enterprise environment.

However, on the consumer side, it can become quite annoying. If I'm neck deep in work, or in a meeting where I may have glanced at an incoming message, it's really annoying when I get bombarded with requests to respond when I'm otherwise engaged because the sender knows that I read the message but haven't responded.

I'd love it if there were an option to turn off read receipts to less important contacts, while at the same time some contacts could be hard coded to ensure read receipts. (ie.. your IT department guarantees they get receipts).

Maybe, everybody on the same BES gets guaranteed receipts, but those outside of the BES is optional.

SwiftKeyed/Flowed via Tapatalk 4 Beta
    And that's why we have the "I'm busy" status.
    If someone sends you a message and you read it, that doesn't mean you're available, because your availability status says "busy" right? So that means whoever is trying to contact you should be patient.

If they want to claim that you're ignoring them, remind them that your status says "busy" so they should respect that

Posted via CB10
    01-14-14 07:59 PM
    The fact is you read the message maybe the people spamming you should grow up. Obviously they know you got the message so wait for a reply.

Hence why the "busy" status exist.
    (for the OP)

Posted via CB10
    01-14-14 08:00 PM

So true! If they make this option that the OP wants then BBM is useless to me and many others, if people spam you for not replying then they need to grow up

Posted via CB10
    01-15-14 04:40 AM
    The R is what makes BBM what it is in my opinion...a real way to have a conversation rather than just firing off something and having no idea if the recipient has received it or read it.

I don't expect an immediate reply, but just knowing they've seen it is useful. And as others have said, setting your status to Busy, or customising it to "I'll reply when I'm free" surely gives the best of both worlds?

Without the R, I may as well use text or WhatsApp

Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.1925
    Thesmartmale likes this.
    01-15-14 05:09 AM
    The R is what makes BBM what it is in my opinion...a real way to have a conversation rather than just firing off something and having no idea if the recipient has received it or read it.

I don't expect an immediate reply, but just knowing they've seen it is useful. And as others have said, setting your status to Busy, or customising it to "I'll reply when I'm free" surely gives the best of both worlds?

Without the R, I may as well use text or WhatsApp

Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.1925
    agreed sometimes I put 'late reply,busy' on my personal status

Posted via CB10
    01-15-14 05:12 AM
    You can use whatsapp if you don't like bbm. The R and D status is one of the reasons why I'm using BBM on my Android despite many other messaging apps out there.

Sent from multiple devices using Tapatalk
    01-15-14 07:01 AM
    I don't think the "r" notices need tweaking. If someone sees that I've read a message and haven't responded, they'll just have to wait on my response. I can see how childish and annoying it can be when someone doesn't respect your time enough to wait on a reply. Or maybe you don't wantt to respond. Who knows?

Posted via Q10
    01-15-14 09:37 AM