There is a big problem with BlackBerry ID or the way BBM gets users connected to each other.

1. Firstly BBM uses email addresses as BlackBerry ID. Let's just take a poll of how many email addresses do each of us have. I personally have 3, One for work, our for friends & family & the final one for spam.

So if BBM uses BlackBerry ID which is an email address it is almost impossible to locate friends. That's because I might just have used my spam account to register for fear that I might receive spam from BlackBerry. So since nobody I know, knows this email address they will never get me as a suggested contact.

2. How many people actually keep email addresses on their contact list? So far I've only found 1 other person amongst all my friends & colleagues who does that.

They say that when you use an iPhone or Android phone you don't need to remember email addresses as the phone will store it somewhere when you want to send an email just type the name of the person, his email address will pop up.

So if BBM scan our address book for email addresses to match suggestions it has failed.

By the above 2 reasons it is almost impossible for BBM to help us locate our contacts.

Unlike WhatsApp when we install the app, all our contacts are there & we can just text away. I understand that there is an argument about privacy on BBM, I also agree with this argument so why not let BBM use phone numbers to detect who amongst our friends has BBM then we can send an invitation to them to add us into their contact list.

Only when they approved our invitation, we will be able to communicate with them via BBM. Doesn't this also provide you the privacy as well? I know a lot of you would not agree to this, please give your reason don't just say NO. This is because I've not seen one reasonable argument against this concept yet in the forum.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Loc22; 01-24-15 at 11:51 AM.
    01-24-15 11:36 AM
    BBM allows you to invite people in 4 ways: Add by PIN, Add by email, Add by SMS, Add by NFC. Add by email allows you to send the invite to any email address you have for that person. They will receive it and can accept it even if that isn't their BB ID email address.

As to your point "How many people actually keep email addresses on their contact list? So far I've only found 1 other person amongst all my friends & colleagues who does that. " I do, and so do almost all the people I know.

If I don't have an email address for a contact, I'll at least have a phone number -- so I'd use the SMS option to invite them.

If I'm face-to-face with them, I'd display my BBM QR code for them to scan or use NFC.

And, there are some people I would communicate with by BBM, but would not necessarily want to give my email address or phone number. So I appreciate BBM's privacy.
    01-24-15 12:28 PM
    BBM allows you to invite people in 4 ways: Add by PIN, Add by email, Add by SMS, Add by NFC. Add by email allows you to send the invite to any email address you have for that person. They will receive it and can accept it even if that isn't their BB ID email address.

As to your point "How many people actually keep email addresses on their contact list? So far I've only found 1 other person amongst all my friends & colleagues who does that. " I do, and so do almost all the people I know.

If I don't have an email address for a contact, I'll at least have a phone number -- so I'd use the SMS option to invite them.

If I'm face-to-face with them, I'd display my BBM QR code for them to scan or use NFC.

And, there are some people I would communicate with by BBM, but would not necessarily want to give my email address or phone number. So I appreciate BBM's privacy.
    Inviting people to download & adding you usually means they don't have BBM. I guess what I'm targeting is those friends who already have BBM but are not on my BBM contact list.

Using phone numbers & email to add people doesn't mean that you have to give out your phone number or email address. I guess I'm referring friends those people who already have your phone number like your brother or sister or a good old friend whom you've not seen in a while. If they suddenly install BBM & see that you have it too wouldn't it be great to start communicating there rather than having to invite & wondering if he or she has BBM or not right?

Posted via CB10
    01-24-15 01:07 PM
    Inviting people to download & adding you usually means they don't have BBM. I guess what I'm targeting is those friends who already have BBM but are not on my BBM contact list.

Using phone numbers & email to add people doesn't mean that you have to give out your phone number or email address. I guess I'm referring friends those people who already have your phone number like your brother or sister or a good old friend whom you've not seen in a while. If they suddenly install BBM & see that you have it too wouldn't it be great to start communicating there rather than having to invite & wondering if he or she has BBM or not right?

Posted via CB10
    I for one don't want to get requests from every Tom, Dlck, and Harry that happens to have me on their contact list.

I want it to require some specific effort to establish a private means of communication for a select group of people.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1949
    Ecm likes this.
    01-24-15 01:55 PM

Posted via CB10
    Actually, almost everyone I would invite to BBM would already have BBM -- most have BlackBerry devices. If they don't, they can accept and download or not. It's not a huge deal for me. I think we just have a different viewpoint.
    01-24-15 09:16 PM