That is completely incorrect!

Posted via CB10
    Most iPhone users naively think that one tick means delivered and two ticks means read.

if you dig a bit, even skype has the same problem with message not being delivered

Posted via CB10
    02-17-14 06:30 PM
    So it would be quite a breakthrough if BlackBerry could find a way to make this system work on iOS then.

Posted via CB10
    02-17-14 06:55 PM
    That is completely incorrect!

Posted via CB10
    You are simply wrong. I use it with dozens of people...

Posted with Z10 via CB10
    02-17-14 07:27 PM
    http://kik.com/tip-tuesday-message-status/

Same issue on Kik messenger as BBM and WhatsApp. IPhone won't answer back when the app is suspended or not running. No one, except iMessage is able to have consistent delivery confirmation on iOS.

Here is an extract from the link above:

[...] A faded D appears next to messages sent to iPhones and Windows Phones. It means that we have sent the push notification of your message to the recipient but they haven't opened the app to receive the message on their phone. Once they open the app, you will see a solid D. [...]

Posted via CB10
    02-17-14 07:53 PM

Posted with Z10 via CB10
    Try sending a WhatsApp message to everyone one on your contact list. You'll see, many of the iPhone one will come back with only one tick... but BlackBerry and android will come back instantly with two ticks. read the links that I posted. The developer are admitting it's an issue with iOS

Posted via CB10
    02-17-14 07:56 PM
    Is that update available for the ipod touch? My girl has bbm but hasn't received the update yet...

Posted via CB10 on my Z10STL100-10.2.1.1925
    My boy has bbm on his ipod touch. Had to force an update. Works fine.

Incidentally my other boy has bbm on his iPhone5 - he can bbm chat/call me but he is unavailable when I go to his contact and attempt to voip him ( via bbm). Not sure what gives.

Posted via CBten with the Zthirty.
    02-17-14 09:57 PM
    http://kik.com/tip-tuesday-message-status/

Same issue on Kik messenger as BBM and WhatsApp. IPhone won't answer back when the app is suspended or not running. No one, except iMessage is able to have consistent delivery confirmation on iOS.

Here is an extract from the link above:

[...] A faded D appears next to messages sent to iPhones and Windows Phones. It means that we have sent the push notification of your message to the recipient but they haven't opened the app to receive the message on their phone. Once they open the app, you will see a solid D. [...]

Posted via CB10

The new background app refresh api's in ios 7 should allow for the app to respond/update even if it's not running. So this shouldn't be a problem/limitation anymore with ios.

**Edit.

I have just noticed this on the apple website.

If you force an app to quit by dragging it up from the multitasking display, it won't be able to do its background activities, such as tracking location or responding to VoIP calls, until you relaunch the app.
    Additional Information

If you close an app that has been configured to receive background notifications, it won't receive them until it has been reopened.
    So it seems for the background app refresh to work correctly, the app has to be open in the multitasking/recent app page. It shouldn't matter if an app is in suspend state as it will wake up when it receives it's push notification.

I'm still not sure how google hangouts can notify of an incoming call even if the app isn't in the multitasking page though.
    Last edited by NathDogg; 02-18-14 at 05:18 AM.
    02-17-14 11:03 PM

Posted with Z10 via CB10
    I have no idea why you're arguing about this, ask anyone and they will tell you that IOS has some big limitations when it comes to apps and this is to save battery!

Stupid Apple, instead of putting a big battery in there, they decided to limit background processes.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-14 05:19 AM
    The new background app refresh api's in ios 7 should allow for the app to respond/update even if it's not running. So this shouldn't be a problem/limitation anymore with ios.

**Edit.

I have just noticed this on the apple website.

So it seems for the background app refresh to work correctly, the app has to be open in the multitasking/recent app page. It shouldn't matter if an app is in suspend state as it will wake up when it receives it's push notification.

I'm still not sure how google hangouts can notify of an incoming call even if the app isn't in the multitasking page though.
    Maybe some kind of a deal between them?

Posted via CB10
    02-18-14 05:20 AM
    Maybe some kind of a deal between them?

Posted via CB10
    I find it very unlikely that Apple would make a deal with or treat Google any differently to any other app developer.

Especially considering Apple has been trying to remove Google's native presence within IOS. Eg. Google maps replaced by the inferior (at the time) Apple maps. And the removal of the native youtube app.

I'm hopeful when the bb team gain a better understanding of how IOS works they will be able to match Google's efforts.

I guess for now I need to get into the habit of leaving the app in the multitasking page and trusting IOS to suspend the app.
    Last edited by NathDogg; 02-18-14 at 05:54 AM.
    02-18-14 05:33 AM
    I find it very unlikely that Apple would make a deal with or treat Google any differently to any other app developer.

Especially considering Apple has been trying to remove Google's native presence within IOS. Eg. Google maps replaced by the inferior (at the time) Apple maps. And the removal of the native youtube app.
    Yeah... but they still have a long history of collaborating.

I read somewhere on the iOS developers website that you need apples permission for long running background apps. Anything without authorisation will be suspended.

Now the new iOS does allow some multitasking but it will only allow the most used apps to remain active in the background.

Also they do have some API that allows to wake an app up. But if so many developers haven't been able to figure it out... something is wrong.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-14 05:43 AM
    Yeah... but they still have a long history of collaborating.

I read somewhere on the iOS developers website that you need apples permission for long running background apps. Anything without authorisation will be suspended.

Now the new iOS does allow some multitasking but it will only allow the most used apps to remain active in the background.

Also they do have some API that allows to wake an app up. But if so many developers haven't been able to figure it out... something is wrong.

Posted via CB10
    I personally think that Google's greater experience of how IOS works has allowed them to find tricks and quirks on how to get the most out of IOS with its limitations. I don't think this has anything to do with favouritism here.

I mean could it be as simple as google using a normal push notification for the call (same as message notification), but replacing the short beep sound with a longer ringing tone sound file? Say 20 seconds or so. Is this even possible?
    Last edited by NathDogg; 02-18-14 at 06:12 AM.
    02-18-14 06:00 AM
    I personally think that Google's greater experience of how IOS works has allowed them to find tricks and quirks on how to get the most out of IOS with its limitations. I don't think this has anything to do with favouritism here.

I mean could it be as simple as google using a normal push notification for the call (same as message notification), but replacing the short beep sound with a longer ringing tone sound file? Say 20 seconds or so. Is this even possible?
    It's possible that they just tweaked with the push and make us believe the app is running... but it is in fact suspended.

By "answering"the push, it starts the app.

Does Google Hangout shows availability status? Or does it try to call someone no matter if that person is available or not?

Posted via CB10
    02-18-14 06:40 AM
    It's possible that they just tweaked with the push and make us believe the app is running... but it is in fact suspended.

By "answering"the push, it starts the app.

Does Google Hangout shows availability status? Or does it try to call someone no matter if that person is available or not?

Posted via CB10
    Tries to call no matter what as far as I know.

This is a test call I set up the other day. I don't personally use google hangouts so the app was forced closed and hadn't been open for months. The first time the app was opened was to answer the call. Note that if the mute switch is on. The phone will only vibrate once the same as any normal notification, so is easily missed if the phone is just on vibrate.

02-18-14 06:46 AM
    Did anyone came across this issue :-
    When there's a new update the star in the updates menu doesn't show
    Anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    02-18-14 01:15 PM
    Has anyone come across the issue of not being able to get the speaker working for a BBM Voice call? I've engaged the icon but the sound still comes through the earpiece as opposed to the phone's speaker. (5s)
    02-19-14 09:38 AM
    Hello, I have another issue. I own a Z10 and recently updated and have a friend on iOS and when I tried to call her she hears me but I don't hear anything...can anyone help me out ?

Posted via CB10
    02-19-14 01:17 PM
    I think there might be a bug with some iphones where bbm voice defaults their microphone to mute?

See if they can turn off mute when you call them

Posted via CB10
    02-19-14 01:27 PM
    Hello, I have another issue. I own a Z10 and recently updated and have a friend on iOS and when I tried to call her she hears me but I don't hear anything...can anyone help me out ?

Posted via CB10
    Try giving this a go and see if it helps.

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=905758
    02-19-14 01:32 PM
    Question: some of my friends are saying that they get notifications from messages that are a day old, or they wont get a notification at all. I'm going to take a shot in the dark and say this has already been addressed, but I couldn't find it anywhere. Anyone know what the dealio is?
    02-19-14 08:12 PM

That's exactly what they are doing, and this is documented API. For that use case, you don't need the app to be running and you don't even need the new iOS7 background APIs.

This is all very clearly documented in Apple's docs and several WWDC videos, including the new options available on iOS7.

I think BBM may be different because they are trying to avoid sending content over APNS. So maybe they send a silent push, let the app wake up and retrieve the new messages directly and then schedule a second local push? (Totally speculating here, only BB knows what their plan was).

Apple's rules are that if a user explicitly kills your app, they will treat that app differently until relaunch which is totally fair considering the user made her intention quite clear by killing your app.

Regardless, the BBM app for iOS still feels like an app written by developers who don't quite know what they're doing on the platform yet. I don't understand why BB doesn't hire a top iOS dev firm to do this for them. Given the $19B purchase of WhatsApp, doesn't BB understand the value of this investment? Why are they doing this with mediocre developers again?

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    NathDogg likes this.
    02-20-14 04:40 AM
    I noticed this on a couple pictures I received from my girlfriend. Doesn't happen all the time though - weird.

Posted via my Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.1259
    Me three, photos from a couple iOS friends come in sideways and upside down; one also has photos in some odd format that BBM can read but the BB10 file manager can't.

Posted via CB10
    02-20-14 05:05 AM
    I don't understand why BB doesn't hire a top iOS dev firm to do this for them. Given the $19B purchase of WhatsApp, doesn't BB understand the value of this investment? Why are they doing this with mediocre developers again?

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    I agree. Considering they are already playing catch up with the rest, they haven't the time to learn by their mistakes. Especially now that Facebook are going to purchase Whatsapp. Who knows what new features they might decide to implement.

I'm sure it won't be long until Whatsapp decide to add voice/video calling. I'm not sure if there will be any way of bbm catching up then.

This is why blackberry need to add these things quickly and correctly. First impressions certainly count when there are many alternatives.
    02-20-14 05:05 AM
    Well I got the solution for BBM, for messages sent to iOS, change the "grey box" to a "grey D", and then change the "not available" for voice call to "no answer".

Done! Just like other platforms.

Posted via CB10
    02-20-14 05:32 AM
    Well I got the solution for BBM, for messages sent to iOS, change the "grey box" to a "grey D", and then change the "not available" for voice call to "no answer".

Done! Just like other platforms.

Posted via CB10
    The best solution right now seems for people to ensure they leave the app in the multitasking page until blackberry get to grips with how to get the best from IOS.

I myself am guilty of closing apps in the multitasking page, but have been trying my best to get into the habit of leaving bbm open. So far it seems to be working great.

Changing how the D's and R's work on IOS is not a good solution in my opinion. If that is the case then they might as well just take them away completely instead of tricking people.
    02-20-14 06:08 AM
99 1234